Samsung exec calls legal battle with Apple 'a loss' for innovation

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

That document mostly listed generic ways to improve without copying, and in fact pointed out that some parts looked too much like Apple's design and should be changed.

LIkewise, Apple clearly has looked at things like Notifications pulldowns from other companies, and decided their way needed improving as well.   Heck, we know for a fact that they decided to make a mini iPad after using a Samsung 7" tablet.

All companies do reviews and comparisons.

So Sammy can produce 132 page doc comparing its smartphones to other Android competitors? It's amazing that its "future" designs look so similar to the iPhone. It's pure bunk that it was coincidental. Not only that, Sammy has a habit of copying: witness the Blackjack.

And you bring up a 7" tablet, but Apple didn't do a 132 page presentation. They said, let's see if we can shrink the 10" original iPad into a smaller form factor rather than let's see if we can copy what Sammy has with a 7" tablet.

• Reply 82 of 87
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So Sammy can produce 132 page doc comparing its smartphones to other Android competitors? It's amazing that its "future" designs look so similar to the iPhone. It's pure bunk that it was coincidental. Not only that, Sammy has a habit of copying: witness the Blackjack.

I agree about the Blackjack.  

As for comparison docs, I've done my share of them.  Samsung's was not about direct copying.  It was about getting the same kind of experience.  And it wasn't even done until 2010, three years after the iPhone came out.  They were in no rush to compare.

Quote:

And you bring up a 7" tablet, but Apple didn't do a 132 page presentation. They said, let's see if we can shrink the 10" original iPad into a smaller form factor rather than let's see if we can copy what Sammy has with a 7" tablet.

We have no idea what docs Apple did internally.  

We do know that Apple, when designing the iPhone, took looking at other companies' designs to an entirely new level, by going so far as to commission an internal mockup of what a Sony designed smartphone might look like.  

After it was done, they then decided that parts of it looked better than Apple's iPod derived designs, so they took some inspiration from the Sony mockup.

This influence was not allowed to be told to the jury in the California trial.

• Reply 83 of 87
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    I agree about the Blackjack.  

As for comparison docs, I've done my share of them.  Samsung's was not about direct copying.  It was about getting the same kind of experience.  And it wasn't even done until 2010, three years after the iPhone came out.  They were in no rush to compare.

We have no idea what docs Apple did internally.  

We do know that Apple, when designing the iPhone, took looking at other companies' designs to an entirely new level, by going so far as to commission an internal mockup of what a Sony designed smartphone might look like.  

After it was done, they then decided that parts of it looked better than Apple's iPod derived designs, so they took some inspiration from the Sony mockup.

This influence was not allowed to be told to the jury in the California trial.

Inspiration is fine. Copying is not. Apple created a mock up of what a Sony phone would look like. Sony didnt produce a similar phone nor did Apple produce and sell the mockup.
  • Reply 84 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Samsung steals technology from Apple and then they call it innovation. How utterly ridiculous.

Again!

Many (even Stevie) would say that Apple works in the same way.

• Reply 85 of 87
    My selfless wish...

If I had a time machine, I would relentlessly attempt to persuade Steve to aggressively treat his cancer using modern medicine from day-one of his diagnosis.

I could be greedy and add to the 4000 shares of AAPL I bought at a split-adjusted ~$4.25/share when Steve became interim CEO in the late '90s.....but I'm happy with what I have.

I just wish we still had Steve. Lord knows how much more our lives would be enriched by his vision.

+1000

...and just wanted to comment on your signature: I thought you just left the "AB" part of it out :smokey:
  • Reply 86 of 87
    drblank wrote: »
    It's similar to what Microsoft is starting to do by coming out with their own product designs to compete with their OS OEM customers.

Which is the Apple way. Is it not in Microsoft's (or Samsung's) best interest to do what works best for this space? Mobile isn't the desktop wars.
    drblank wrote: »
    I just won't buy ANYTHING with the Samsung label on the outside.  They can make components all they want, but if the product has Samsung's name on it, I will simply not buy it.  They aren't the only game in town for their other products like household appliances and TVs. They aren't the best either.  Plus they resort to desperate sales tactics by handing out spiff checks to sales reps, misleading advertising campaigns, and just simple backstabbing.

Same here. It is actually what caused my wife to move from feature phone to an iPhone. The only Verizon feature phone she liked was a Samsung. I vetoed it, and she has a 4S. My TV and the monitor on my mini are Samsung. And to be honest? We bought a Samsung baby monitor. I returned that the next day, and it made me realize something that all my Samsung products share. Blinking displays. It would fade in and out brightness wise. The same exact thing happens with my monitor and TV. And that is all the software for the brightness sensors, which would imply Samsung work, no?
  • Reply 87 of 87
    anonymouse wrote: »
    No, theft is exactly the right word for it.

Nope. You're responding emotionally rather than rationally.