Burglar breaks $100K custom glass door with rocks at Boulder Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bondr006 wrote: »
    I thought it was transparent aluminium they were working on.

Scotty gave the formula away in '86. Why hasn't any been released since?

"Hello, Computer".
  • Reply 22 of 82
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Sheesh.

Some low-life throws a few rocks in Boulder, Colorado and the end result is me getting educated about the beginnings of the word "aluminium".

Who could have foretold THAT particular chain of events...
  • Reply 23 of 82

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sure it does.  Regardless of who discovered it, it's spelled "Aluminium" and pronounced the same way.

"Davy originally called it aluminum, then amended this to aluminum"

You're completely wrong.

Creator says this is the name. It's the name. Just as much as a newspaper in one country invents otherwise.

• Reply 24 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Funny that [B]poor Gazoobee[/B] has to go into a thicket because he can't see my post quoting [B]Solipsism X[/B], because he has me on his ignore list. Not funny, hilarious. To me, at least.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Sure it does.  Regardless of who discovered it, it's spelled "Aluminium" and pronounced the same way.  

It's not the same as words like "colour" or "organise" which are fairly generic and have been in existence so long they've had time to find alternate spellings.  "Aluminium" is a fairly recent word that has never been spelled any other way in any official capacity.  Therefore spelling it incorrectly, (on the basis of simply a poor pronunciation yet) is "more wrong" than most other mis-spellings.  

There are rules to correct pronunciation in English, and scientific words in particular. 

Titanium isn't called (or spelled) "Titanum"  
    Magnesium isn't called (or spelled) "Magnesum"
    Calcium isn't called (or spelled) "Calcum"

Not pronouncing and spelling Aluminium correctly is an abomination that any science-y, geek-y sort of person should be ashamed of (American or otherwise).  

Check the post prior yours for the history of the spelling.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    gtr wrote: »
    Sheesh.

Some low-life throws a few rocks in Boulder, Colorado and the end result is me getting educated about the beginnings of the word "aluminium".

I most certainly didn't or I would've written, cue up the argument over the spelling of aluminum.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    thrang wrote: »
    ahl-u-min-EE-umm to the fans of Top Gear...
    Love Top Gear!
  • Reply 28 of 82
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

There is no way that door cost 100k.  Misprint somewhere.

• Reply 29 of 82

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

There is no way that door cost 100k.  Misprint somewhere.

Unfortunately, it could very well be correct. Sort of a Blue Harvest situation with Apple these days.

• Reply 30 of 82
    philboogie wrote: »
    Pardon me, but did you just say aluminium?

Scotty gave them the formula back in 1986. On a Mac.
    Edit: jungmark beat me to it.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    thrang wrote: »
    ahl-u-min-EE-umm to the fans of Top Gear...

Man, I love that show. Together with 500M others...
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Apple is doomed as it was the asteroid (android) from the (Samsung) galaxy attacking the Apple store . Sell all of your AAPL now !!!
  • Reply 33 of 82
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Apple needs to get away from glass and work on "Force Field" doors! ;)

Thieves will just use Borg technology to transport through it.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    gtr wrote: »
    Sheesh.

Great! Now I want to know the origin of the word chain.
    Spoiler:
  • Reply 35 of 82
    How come nobody ever breaks into the Microsoft store? They are starting to feel left out.
  • Reply 36 of 82

Hey burglars: next time, steal the door very carefully so as not to damage it, then hold it for ransom.  Easy $100K, no electronics to fence, and Greenpeace will pressure Apple into paying.  Because buying back the existing door would be far more energy-efficient than re-glazing a replacement door.  Vastly smaller carbon footprint too.

• Reply 37 of 82

Originally Posted by NUKEM52 View Post

How come nobody ever breaks into the Microsoft store? They are starting to feel left out.

There are several solutions to Microsoft's "so quiet you can hear a pin drop" retail store problem.

1. Staged thefts: Microsoft employees can "break in" and steal racks of shrink-wrapped software and demo PCs.

Unsold inventory reduced (slightly.)

2. Free tickets to Selena Gomez and Joe Jonas concerts.  If you buy $100 in Microsoft merchandise first.

At least the store(s) woudn't be mausoleum-quiet for an hour.

3. Arson.

• Reply 38 of 82
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Why not use laminated glass like used in automotive windshields? It may not stop a car going through it but it will certainly stop rocks and clumsy thieves from getting in. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 39 of 82
    gazoobee wrote: »

It's not the same as words like "colour" or "organise" which are fairly generic and have been in existence so long they've had time to find alternate spellings.  "Aluminium" is a fairly recent word that has never been spelled any other way in any official capacity.  Therefore spelling it incorrectly, (on the basis of simply a poor pronunciation yet) is "more wrong" than most other mis-spellings.  

There are rules to correct pronunciation in English, and scientific words in particular. 

Titanium isn't called (or spelled) "Titanum"  
    Magnesium isn't called (or spelled) "Magnesum"
    Calcium isn't called (or spelled) "Calcum"

Not pronouncing and spelling Aluminium correctly is an abomination that any science-y, geek-y sort of person should be ashamed of (American or otherwise).  

First of all, whomever discovers something often gets to name it. That's about as much as a rule as all metals need to end in -ium. It's commonplace and happens enough times that one should expect that cause and effect relationship but it's not a rule. You are not an idiot for saying aluminum as this 1) the name given by Davy, and 2) accepted by the US and other countries. In fact, any real scientist in the UK will accept aluminum as acceptable even if they prefer aluminium.

These are simply variations in languages and it's the UK theychanged it after the fact, which is not a problem as that is how language works but it's certainly not because it was wrong. You can't have a wrong word if you invent it as all words are made up.

If you really want to deny the history of the word and adhere to a rule-of-thumb as a hard and fast decree then what about the metals: tin, gold, iron silver, mercury, etc.? Why aren't you demanding these only be referred to as stannium from the Latin stannum, aurium from the Latin aurum, ferrium from the Latin ferrum, argentium from the Latin argentum, hydrargyrium from the Latin hydrargyrum, respectively.

Note that I choose metals whose names are not using your rule but have the Latin 2-letter symbols that call forth the original Latin word that already ends in -um and therefore could have easily been changed to -ium if this were a scientific edict. Do you not allow people to say tin, gold, iron, silver, mercury, et al.? I would doubt it.

This has been an episode of Etymchemology with SolipsismX.

PS: As an American who has spent considerable time in the UK I use aluminium and other British spellings and pronunciation. I quite prefer the way aluminium sounds over aluminum but my preference in no way dictates what is considered correct for all.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    sflocal wrote: »
    Why not use laminated glass like used in automotive windshields? It may not stop a car going through it but it will certainly stop rocks and clumsy thieves from getting in. Am I missing something?

Based on the damage this guy should dump everything and hope he just doesn't get caught. At $600k in damage he's screwed for life if he gets caught.