Burglar breaks $100K custom glass door with rocks at Boulder Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    solipsismx wrote: »

quite a good post, not to forget Platinium, or Magnesinium...

Speaking of the way language works and changes and what is 'correct' English, I would suggest the very excellent "The Story of Human Language" by Professor John McWhorter, available from TTC audio tape. One of my favourite tapes and delightfully presented
  • Reply 62 of 82
    "Colorado law gives the original owner the right to take back the products, even if the owner did not know the goods were stolen at the time of purchase."

Also true in France. I don't know how this can be made fair either way, as Apple having only a glass door should be considered sloppiness and hence it's "fair" they lost their property (arguably, debatable, just pressing on my idea that someone gets shafted in the deal anyway).
    Is Apple's insurance going to refund them on top of getting the property back? Must be not-so-nice to manage for accountants...
    Is there insurance in Colorado for protecting yourself again claims of stolen property?
  • Reply 63 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Pardon me, but did you just say aluminium?

Let op, PhilBoogie... Aluminium is met een "i" geschreven ;)

Of course, I'm French, so I can't understand anyone using another spelling ;)

• Reply 64 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, actually, the article states that the criminal scumbag at the Boulder Apple store caused nearly $100k in damage and stole nearly $64k worth of merchandise.

The $600k is at the end of the article, and that's referring to a different incident, where some asshat drove a BMW into an Apple store in Cali.

I remember someone drove an old lady in an Apple Store.

• Reply 65 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    analogjack wrote: »
    quite a good post, not to forget Platinium, or Magnesinium...

Speaking of the way language works and changes and what is 'correct' English, I would suggest the very excellent "The Story of Human Language" by Professor John McWhorter, available from TTC audio tape. One of my favourite tapes and delightfully presented

1) I completely overlooked platinum. I wonder why this was never changed to platinium (which doesn't sound bad)? My reply would have been much shorter had I remembered platinum so I hope you all enjoyed the effort, especially you Cash907¡

2) I'll look into that. I prefer to listen to books on language than read them so I can get a feel for pronunciation but then I oft forget the titles and authors so there is a good chance I'd listened to it before. If so, chances are it's been awhile so it'll still be a treat.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

There is no way that door cost 100k.  Misprint somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unfortunately, it could very well be correct. Sort of a Blue Harvest situation with Apple these days.

Perhaps, but isn't the Boulder store in a mall or something?  If this was one of the super stores in New York or London I might believe the 100K figure. I looked at a picture of the doors of the Boulder store.  Not 100k doors - not even in Apple verse.

Now, if the facade of the store was damaged or several panels of the glass curtain wall were broken then 100k might be believable.

But then, I could be wrong.

• Reply 67 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Better head over to Wikipedia. You are probably confusing asteroids with meteors. 

No the OP I replied to is confused. Asteroids don't enter our atmosphere.

There is nothing preventing them from entering the atmosphere. If they did, which they probably have in the past and was the chief concern regarding the close passing of an asteroid the other day, it would more than likely spell extinction, but it would still be an asteroid. Technically speaking it would probably cease being an asteroid if it did land on the Earth as it would no longer be indepentdently orbiting the Sun.

• Reply 68 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is a resource that is good: http://www.livescience.com/27183-asteroid-meteorite-meteor-meteoroid.html

Quote:

A meteor is an asteroid or other object that burns and vaporizes upon entry into the Earth's atmosphere; meteors are commonly known as "shooting stars." If a meteor survives the plunge through the atmosphere and lands on the surface, it's known as a meteorite.

PS: If one is being pedantic I'd say that asteroid do enter the atmosphere but if and when such an occurrence happens we then call these asteroids meteors.

I had a different understanding of the difference between asteroids and meteoroids partially based on size and also about orbiting the Sun. According to your first definition both Skylab, the Space Shuttle as well as a few other failed manmade  orbital objects with unplanned reentries would also be considered meteors. According to Wikipedia, meteoroids are often pebble size to minute dust particles randomly traveling around outer space, where as asteroids are small mini planetary bodies in an orbit around the Sun and are larger and more similar to comets. In fact most asteroids are thought to be ex-comets that have lost their covering and no longer emit a trail of vaporized ice.

• Reply 69 of 82
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Pardon me, but did you just say aluminium?

• Reply 70 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I had a different understanding of the difference between asteroids and meteoroids partially based on size and also about orbiting the Sun.

Me, too. I was taught in school that meteors were less than a mile i diameter and asteroids were greater than 1 mile. I remember even back in about 3rd grade wondering (perhaps even asking) if that is done by the longest or shortest diameter of the object in question. If quite possible to have a substantially smaller volume as an elongated object than an object that is more equal in diameter on all sides. I doubt I got a decent answer back then.

PS: That answers the question no one asked: Were you always such a precocious little scamp? :D
  • Reply 71 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I think you need to me more detailed and thorough with your answer.

Here is a resource that is good: http://www.livescience.com/27183-asteroid-meteorite-meteor-meteoroid.html

PS: If one is being pedantic I'd say that asteroid do enter the atmosphere but if and when such an occurrence happens we then call these asteroids meteors.

What I meant is upon entering the atmosphere a asteroid ceases being a asteroid and becomes a meteor.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I remember someone drove an old lady in an Apple Store.

Better than riding an old lady in a Apple store.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    I wonder if bullet proof glass would look as good as the regular kind. Most places one sees it it has holes cut in it and some distortion. I'm sure whatever glass Apple uses has better aesthetic properties than most - like clearer, or color enhancing, more error free, thicker, maybe more damage resistant. Still wouldn't hurt, esp at 100k.
  • Reply 74 of 82

2) I'll look into that. I prefer to listen to books on language than read them so I can get a feel for pronunciation but then I oft forget the titles and authors so there is a good chance I'd listened to it before. If so, chances are it's been awhile so it'll still be a treat.

I am also partial to books being read especially when read by someone who _understands_ what they are saying as they are saying it, which makes a big difference.

The Story of Human Language though is not an audio book it is a series of lectures and McWhorter takes you deep into the arcane world of linguistics with a fair degree of understated humour and panache. He paints a picture of language as if it were a tree that grows over many generations such that no one ever notices it changing but change it does.

It gives one a completely different and original perspective on time and history. Plus his pronunciation, diction and lyrical melliflous tones are an aural as well as intellectual delight. It is so chock full of audacious brillance that you can easily listen to it over and over all the while enjoying it more and more.
  • Reply 75 of 82

After reading all the preceding comments, I am crushed that no one noted the irony of the Boulder Apple store being broken into using rocks. Think the thieves were stoned at the time?

• Reply 76 of 82
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedot View Post

A door made of glass was smashed in "Boulder"? image Fitting... next time go for paper Apple, everyone knows paper beats rock!

bonus!!... wish i thought of that!... runner up for "internets winner"

• Reply 77 of 82
    Crazy aluminum
  • Reply 78 of 82

Quote:

I'm not into glass door manufacturing, but even if the manufacturer had four guys worked on the custom door for two straight months, I don't see the fair price being $100,000.

You're assuming the only cost in the price is labour. Those glass panels are custom made with special tools. Labor and materials are only part of the cost.

• Reply 79 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

After reading all the preceding comments, I am crushed that no one noted the irony of the Boulder Apple store being broken into using rocks. Think the thieves were stoned at the time?

... not sure if the use of the word "irony" is correct...

but if an apple employee throws a rock at the apple store, after being fired,  is that poetic justice, or irony?... "people who live in a glass house, should not throw stones"...

I suppose if the definition of irony is

"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected." (dictionary . com)

then a thief  that throws rocks at the store and gets caught because the glass door/wall didn't break would be irony... because you would expect the glass to break.

• Reply 80 of 82

wow, where are the titanic references?...  "they said the glass door was unbreakable!!"