iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Looks like I'm not alone in sticking with 6.0.1.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156165/ios-6-1-2-already-most-popular-version-of-apples-ios-less-than-1-week-after-launch#post_2283756"]Good.

Speak for yourself. I have several apps Apple pulled from the App Store . For instance, the VLC app. I also have blue tooth and wi-fi toggle switches making it much easier to turn those off and on. I also have a better notification system and Siri optimizations. I own the device and don't need Apple policing its utility.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Yes! It took the dev teams months to come up with an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 using five different security flaws. As Apple patches those flaws jailbreaking becomes more and more difficult. We just may have seen the last jailbreak. If the jailbreakers do us a favor and switch to the so-called 'open' platform maybe we won't have to listen to them crow like cocks in the morning about it.

I think the jailbreaker devs do Apple a favor in two ways. First of all they find security flaws and exploit them in an innocuous way, bringing them to Apple's attention. Secondly, they increase the market for Apple hardware. So I don't think Apple needs to be in a hurry to get rid of them.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Less than a week--not bad, for an update that is minor and thus had no anticipation nor publicity events to announce it.

For comparison, I wonder--how long did it take the very most recent point update of Android to be the most popular version in use among all current Android users?

"Fragmentation" would be people running incompatible different hardware/software versions: versions that developers need to plan for. (They don't need to plan or update for 6.1.2 vs. 6.1.1 for instance, but they do need to plan for the difference between an iPhone and an iPad, and sometimes, for the difference between one iPad and another.)

All platforms are fragmented to at least some extent. The issue is--to what degree? Android is a nightmare of fragmentation compared to iOS.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    With the wireless updates function the phone kindly asks you to update it, it was extra quick this time so why would you not update? If it is pre installed (so everywhere, less wait time, it is already on memory) so all you need is to restart with a little more time to restart.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Although I do not encourage jailbreaking, I would like Apple to response in a manner that virtually eliminates anyone's need for jailbreaking.

Gatekeeper for iOS
    Option to configure the default app for certain functions (Calendar, Contacts, Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Maps)

AirDrop for iOS
    Dashboard for iOS (widgets, system control shortcuts)
    Finder ("file management")
    Preview (instead of iBooks)

Keychain Access

Activity Monitor for iOS
    Automator for iOS
    Disk Utility for iOS
    Network Utility for iOS
    Terminal for iOS

I know many of these functions are already available via apps but many people seem to believe they aren't.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    nagromme wrote: »
    Less than a week--not bad, for an update that is minor and thus had no anticipation nor publicity events to announce it.

For comparison, I wonder--how long did it take the very most recent point update of Android to be the most popular version in use among all current Android users?

According to Google's own numbers, more than 50% of Android users are still on version 2.3.x (Gingerbread) or lower. Those are all more than two years old. Gingerbread is still the most popular release by far.

The most recent point release was Jellybean 4.2, which came out almost 5 months ago. It's currently on about 1% of Android devices.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    bleh1234 wrote: »
    OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?

No. The point releases are not "fragmentation." Only the major releases count, because API features ship with major OS releases. So, 98% of iOS users are on 5.x and 6.x. With the majority of those running iOS 6. Developers can safely target iOS 5 and be reasonably sure they aren't leaving their customers behind.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Its because people are praying the update will enable them to
    change the default alarm time from 9am on the Calendar App.

Btw, nice forum software. Very clean looking and easy to use.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Its because people are praying the update will enable them to
    change the default alarm time from 9am on the Calendar App.

Btw, nice forum software. Very clean looking and easy to use.

How clever. You cerated an account just to spread misleading statements..
  • Reply 31 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    normm wrote: »
    According to Google's own numbers, more than 50% of Android users are still on version 2.3.x (Gingerbread) or lower. Those are all more than two years old. Gingerbread is still the most popular release by far.

The most recent point release was Jellybean 4.2, which came out almost 5 months ago. It's currently on about 1% of Android devices.

It's also not as cut and dry with Android about what APIs the different versions support. With iOS 6.x suport the same APIs, 5.x the same APIs. I believe Gingerbread versions 2.3 to 2.3.2 support the same APIs, but below that Eclair, versions 2.0 to 2.1, and Froyo, version 2.2 are different for developers, just as Gingerbread above 2.3.2, as versions 2.3.3 to 2.3.7 is also different. I'm not sure as to what extent because I don't have access to the computer on the planet Magrathea to crunch the numbers.

edit: Here you go. It's worse than I thought: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Bean_(operating_system)#Version_history_by_API_level
  • Reply 32 of 77
    tbell wrote: »

Speak for yourself. I have several apps Apple pulled from the App Store . For instance, the VLC app.

Why does that matter? I have downloaded the VLC app, and it's also in my iTunes Media folder, which gets TimeMachined. And when I buy a new device it automatically syncs onto it.

Failing to see the problem, other than being too late to the party if someone tips you on an app and its nowhere to be found on the App Store...
  • Reply 33 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why not just ban people who are clearly trolling?

bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Thank God! Because I was really, really worried that 6.1.2 wouldn't be the most popular version. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what 6.1.3 does, maybe bring Apple's stock up over $1000?
    Lol
  • Reply 34 of 77
    I look forward to the updates as long as it doesn't cause the device to be slow as snails. ; )
  • Reply 35 of 77

Are they just "at work on it," or are they "at work on pushing it out?"

Why not just say they are "crafting" iOS 6.1.3?

There's just no reason to go so . . .  scatological.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, . . . 

• Reply 36 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156165/ios-6-1-2-already-most-popular-version-of-apples-ios-less-than-1-week-after-launch#post_2283754"]And this is just a part of the reason as to why all informed and smart people should buy Apple devices. 

Just take a look at the miserable, cheap people who end up with Android crap, and see how their update situation is looking. They're getting screwed left & right, and from all possible directions. Isn't it time for a new Android version to be released by the way? I mean, how many people are actually on the latest version? 7 ?
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156165/ios-6-1-2-already-most-popular-version-of-apples-ios-less-than-1-week-after-launch#post_2283754"]And this is just a part of the reason as to why all informed and smart people should buy Apple devices. 

Just take a look at the miserable, cheap people who end up with Android crap, and see how their update situation is looking. They're getting screwed left & right, and from all possible directions. Isn't it time for a new Android version to be released by the way? I mean, how many people are actually on the latest version? 7 ?

I'm on the latest version of android (4.2.2); it was released about 2 weeks ago. It took 3 days for it to show up on my phone.

My sister, on the other hand is still on iOS 5, and refuses to update because of how silly bad apple maps is. Can't say I blame her; when the icon to your map app shows an impossible turn, its not very confidence inspiring. I've been trying to get her to update since the Google maps app came out, but no success thus far.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No. The point releases are not "fragmentation." Only the major releases count, because API features ship with major OS releases. So, 98% of iOS users are on 5.x and 6.x. With the majority of those running iOS 6. Developers can safely target iOS 5 and be reasonably sure they aren't leaving their customers behind.

I don't know this is fragmentation but there are some apps that are OS4.3 and above so if you have an older ipod touch that cannot go past 4.2, you need to think about it before updating.

• Reply 38 of 77
    majjo wrote: »
    I'm on the latest version of android (4.2.2); it was released about 2 weeks ago. It took 3 days for it to show up on my phone.

And what phone is that? Unless it's all Android phones built in the last 2 years it's not exactly a good thing for the Android market.
    My sister, on the other hand is still on iOS 5, and refuses to update because of how silly bad apple maps is.

How bad is Apple Maps in your area? It sounds like you two are just piling on with the fear-driven media without actually considering how it works.

I can't say I didn't jump the gun when it first appeared and I found it not taking me to the right destination. Turns out TomTom took me to the same wrong destination, and Google Maps in Safari wanted me to go to the wrong city entirely despite putting in the correct city and state. Turns out the business had 1) given a now defunct location as they had moved, and 2) messed it up the old, wrong location, but Apple Maps and TomTom were on the money had it still existed.

See, that's anecdotal so I don't expect that to be the same for every experience one has but the point is I feel victim momentarily to the fear-mongering until I decided to think more rationally.
    Can't say I blame her; when the icon to your map app shows an impossible turn, its not very confidence inspiring.

For starters, this is ridiculous. It's a fucking icon so why the hell would you expect it to be so detailed as to show an on ramp? Secondly, the Maps app in iOS 5 has an icon that shows I-280 going over De Anza Blvd… and yet inspires confidence in your sister? I find that to be completely ridiculous on every level. If you had stated something like "She trusts Google Maps and has heard bad things so she doesn't want to risk it since Apple doesn't make downgrading easy" I'd understand your point, but based on the damn icon? Do you think Settings work by actual gears turning because it shows sprockets? :no:

700 700
  • Reply 39 of 77
    pt123 wrote: »

I don't know this is fragmentation but there are some apps that are OS4.3 and above so if you have an older ipod touch that cannot go past 4.2, you need to think about it before updating.

That's obsolescing of a product and that generation 2 iPod Touch that can only go up to 4.2.1 was released in Sept 2008 with 2.1.1. It received its last update in November 2010, after it had stopped being sold to the public. You won't find many (if any) Android-based devices that have received such a wide range of updates for so long, and that's one of Apple's least impressive iOS update time lines.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And what phone is that? Unless it's all Android phones built in the last 2 years it's not exactly a good thing for the Android market.
    How bad is Apple Maps in your area? It sounds like you two are just piling on with the fear-driven media without actually considering how it works.

I can't say I didn't jump the gun when it first appeared and I found it not taking me to the right destination. Turns out TomTom took me to the same wrong destination, and Google Maps in Safari wanted me to go to the wrong city entirely despite putting in the correct city and state. Turns out the business had 1) given a now defunct location as they had moved, and 2) messed it up the old, wrong location, but Apple Maps and TomTom were on the money had it still existed.

See, that's anecdotal so I don't expect that to be the same for every experience one has but the point is I feel victim momentarily to the fear-mongering until I decided to think more rationally.
    For starters, this is ridiculous. It's a fucking icon so why the hell would you expect it to be so detailed as to show an on ramp? Secondly, the Maps app in iOS 5 has an icon that shows I-280 going over De Anza Blvd… and yet inspires confidence in your sister? I find that to be completely ridiculous on every level. If you had stated something like "She trusts Google Maps and has heard bad things so she doesn't want to risk it since Apple doesn't make downgrading easy" I'd understand your point, but based on the damn icon? Do you think Settings work by actual gears turning because it shows sprockets? :no:

700 700

Phone is a nexus 4.

From my experience, apple maps is fine where I live (San Francisco); but I can't speak for my sister's location (her university is upstate). I'all bet its more media fear than anything, but she seems to hate it with a passion.

Lol, looks like I hit a nerve with the icon remark. Relax; no I don't judge the app on the icon, but its still funny to see an impossible turn being shown, given the reputation the app has gotten.