iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Last I checked 40% are on Android 4.x, and every major new phone that I know of is launching with Jellybean.

According to the numbers you cite, 30% are on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and only 10% on Jelly Bean (4.1).  And only 1% are on the latest version of Jelly Bean, from four months ago.  Whatever else one can say, this looms as a giant security issue.

• Reply 62 of 77
    normm wrote: »
    And only 1% are on the latest version of Jelly Bean, from four months ago.

Wow, that is in stark contract to iOS: "48 hours after it launched, iOS 6.1.2 adoption was nearly equal that of iOS 6.0 in the same timeframe."

Of course, that is from ad impressions...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/25/ios-612-already-most-popular-version-of-apples-ios-less-than-1-week-after-launch
  • Reply 63 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    majjo wrote: »
    That said, fragmentation is definitely an issue with the platform, and its just the nature of the beast with how android works. The situation is improving, as OEMs move away from heavily bloated skins, and incorporate much more AOSP features and follow the holo design guidelines. (eg. sense 5.0)

I've been hearing that for years now. I'm so sick of hearing "soon" when it come to Android. Godot doesn't make you wait this long. I have doubts that their terms of their SDK from late last year will do anything. It's just too out of control.
    Last I checked 40% are on Android 4.x, and every major new phone that I know of is launching with Jellybean.

Again, Google has fraked this up so bad that even those that use their OS and HW consider anything on 4.x as a single development platform despite 4.x covers 4 stages of API development and even both Jelly Bean and ICS cover two different API stages, each. And even among those there is no method to this madness. For instance, API level 14 is 4.0 to 4.0.2 and then API level 15 starts not with 4.1 but with 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, with API level 16 starting at 4.1.

iOS is highly structured and very clear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

6.0 is a huge update with a lot of changes. Then 6.0.1 addresses bug fixes, security updates, reliability issues as it's a tertiary update. Same goes for 6.0.2. Version 6.1 actually adds some features, but not any API additions and the updates are adding to already existing apps or services. You can do this through the entire chain of updates with little to no variation. It shows a focused company with a clear path and structure to it. That's what I want to see when it comes to engineering.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    Beautifully written Sol!
  • Reply 65 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've never really been a Yelp user. In fact, I'm amazed at how seriously businesses take such reviews despite it being no harder to post a comment there than it his on this forum. I've certainly come across Yelp in maps as I have looked up businesses before and the look is pretty great.

I've said many times before that Apple Maps is the best mapping app I've ever seen. Note that is not to say that the backend and databases it pulls from are the most complete or accurate, just that the app itself is brilliant in it's look, feel and performance.

I think it will be the best all around in a couple years which, if true, will put it many years ahead of how long it took Google Maps to be considered the best all around mapping app, which obviously includes their web app.

Speaking of, Apple really needs to get a web app version up and running. Right now if you want to share an address or directions the link will be maps.apple.com but then will convert the data and forward you to a maps.google.com link. That doesn't look good at all and it doesn't help make their data more accurate if you can't ever use maps.apple.com to find a location or get directions.

Did we just agree about Apple Maps at least in some sense?

If so, everyone should kiss their wife and hug their children. Ragnarok (Gotterdammerung) is coming!
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Did we just agree about Apple Maps at least in some sense?

If so, everyone should kiss their wife and hug their children. Ragnarok (Gotterdammerung) is coming!

I'm not sure. My stance has been the same since I first starting reporting on Apple Map since the first beta with the caveat of not being privy to the info that they had to make the switch when they did or sign a contract with Google that wouldn't have served users well. It was the best of two bad choices. Oh yeah, during the first couple betas I always said the app was slow to render but I also noted when it finally started performing quickly on my, then iPhone 4. I still think they should have bought or invested in Street View-like tech, and invested a whole lot more time and money in getting it ready to meet the inevitable comparison to Google Maps, which I even noted (to a degree) in this thread with my mention of poor coverage of universities and walking trails.

So, I'm really not sure if we are in agreement as to the current state of excellence, but I think we do both agree it's likely to be the best in due time.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I've been hearing that for years now. I'm so sick of hearing "soon" when it come to Android. Godot doesn't make you wait this long. I have doubts that their terms of their SDK from late last year will do anything. It's just too out of control.

I don't know how you got the soon(tm) reference from my post. The situation has improved and I expect it to continue to improve. The current generation of mainstream android phones (the gs3 and the HTC one) have been upgraded to 4.1, with a 4.2 upgrade expected next month for the gs3.

The previous generation Samsung phones (gs2 and note 1) have also been upgraded to 4.1.

Again, Google has fraked this up so bad that even those that use their OS and HW consider anything on 4.x as a single development platform despite 4.x covers 4 stages of API development and even both Jelly Bean and ICS cover two different API stages, each. And even among those there is no method to this madness. For instance, API level 14 is 4.0 to 4.0.2 and then API level 15 starts not with 4.1 but with 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, with API level 16 starting at 4.1.

iOS is highly structured and very clear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

6.0 is a huge update with a lot of changes. Then 6.0.1 addresses bug fixes, security updates, reliability issues as it's a tertiary update. Same goes for 6.0.2. Version 6.1 actually adds some features, but not any API additions and the updates are adding to already existing apps or services. You can do this through the entire chain of updates with little to no variation. It shows a focused company with a clear path and structure to it. That's what I want to see when it comes to engineering.

If you're claiming that iOS is structured more logically than android, you'll get no argument from me.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    I don't know how you got the soon(tm) reference from my post.

From the statement, "The situation is improving, as…" which I interpret as "Just give it some time. It'll get there. Since Android first came on the scene all I've been hearing is about how it's improving, how Google will do this or that, or how this or that will change everything. I fold all that up into the nice "soon" package which is admittedly a bit hyperbolic, but it's also accurate.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    I'm not sure. My stance has been the same since I first starting reporting on Apple Map since the first beta with the caveat of not being privy to the info that they had to make the switch when they did or sign a contract with Google that wouldn't have served users well. It was the best of two bad choices. Oh yeah, during the first couple betas I always said the app was slow to render but I also noted when it finally started performing quickly on my, then iPhone 4. I still think they should have bought or invested in Street View-like tech, and invested a whole lot more time and money in getting it ready to meet the inevitable comparison to Google Maps, which I even noted (to a degree) in this thread with my mention of poor coverage of universities and walking trails.

So, I'm really not sure if we are in agreement as to the current state of excellence, but I think we do both agree it's likely to be the best in due time.

I have to disagree that apple maps will likely become the best in time simply because I don't see apple putting in the necessary investment to make it the best. It will improve, no doubt, but I just don't see apple putting in the same amount of resources to the service as Google.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    From the statement, "The situation is improving, as…" which I interpret as "Just give it some time. It'll get there. Since Android first came on the scene all I've been hearing is about how it's improving, how Google will do this or that, or how this or that will change everything. I fold all that up into the nice "soon" package which is admittedly a bit hyperbolic, but it's also accurate.

Poor choice of words on my part I guess. What I was trying to say is that the situation has improved from what you were describing (yearly or no upgrades at all).

Take the galaxy s2, one of the most popular android phones, released nearly 2 years ago with gingerbread. It has received an ICS upgrade and is now on 4.1.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Poor choice of words on my part I guess. What I was trying to say is that the situation has improved from what you were describing (yearly or no upgrades at all).

Take the galaxy s2, one of the most popular android phones, released nearly 2 years ago with gingerbread. It has received an ICS upgrade and is now on 4.1.

The Samsung Galaxy S II and S III are unique in that they have extremely high sales* over a very long time frame. They are not the norm for Android as their combined sales are barely anything if you look at Google's stated activation numbers. How many Android-based units will ever be capable of 4.1? The answer is very few.

* Yes, jragosta, they only state shipments but it would make no sense to continue making more devices to ship if they weren't sales most of them so even realistic numbers on the low-end are still a high number of sales to end users.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They are not the norm for Android as their combined sales are barely anything if you look at Google's stated activation numbers.

Are daily activations into the billions yet? /s

• Reply 73 of 77
    bancho wrote: »
    Are daily activations into the billions yet? /s

"OVER ONE BILLION DISSERVICED"

I kid!
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Will the google maps complainers update yet?
  • Reply 75 of 77

the difference is, all of the users on any of the iOS 6 versions can update to the newest version at any time they choose..   

• Reply 76 of 77
    joeleg wrote: »
    the difference is, all of the users on any of the iOS 6 versions can update to the newest version at any time they choose..   
    That is my point
  • Reply 77 of 77
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And this is just a part of the reason as to why all informed and smart people should buy Apple devices. 

Just take a look at the miserable, cheap people who end up with Android crap, and see how their update situation is looking. They're getting screwed left & right, and from all possible directions. Isn't it time for a new Android version to be released by the way? I mean, how many people are actually on the latest version? 7 ?

Actually the iPhone is better suited for those who aren't informed or smart, the OS is idiot proof. Most Android devices are easily updated to the latest version using custom Roms. I personally think it's better just to buy a Nexus device and call it a day as Google updates them regularly. The price for the Nexus 4 is also unbeatable for what you get. I just installed Ubuntu Touch on mine just for kicks because I can and I think I'm in love. The phone OS is very impressive but the fact that I can just plug-in a HDMI, pair the phone with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse I can then have access to a full OS desktop experience with access to Open Office, Netbeans, Chrome-Browser, ect.