iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For starters, this is ridiculous. It's a fucking icon so why the hell would you expect it to be so detailed as to show an on ramp?

Though I agree with you, look at the original. It has a couple of pixels signifying that! image

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Lol, looks like I hit a nerve with the icon remark. Relax; no I don't judge the app on the icon, but its still funny to see an impossible turn being shown, given the reputation the app has gotten.

Thanks for proving you didn't even read his post. The turn is not impossible. Stop saying it is.

• Reply 42 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Though I agree with you, look at the original. It has a couple of pixels signifying that! :p
    Thanks for proving you didn't even read his post. The turn is not impossible. Stop saying it is.

Maybe I should clarify then: a 90 degree left turn from an overpass onto a multilane highway, as shown on the apple maps icon is impossible.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

How bad is Apple Maps in your area? It sounds like you two are just piling on with the fear-driven media without actually considering how it works.

I like iOS 5 maps because I can quickly look up an address and click on the walk icon to show me the quickest path. I just enjoy having that use case. I don't really have anything against the iOS 6 maps, but I won't be able to go back to iOS 5 if I upgrade so I don't mind waiting.

• Reply 44 of 77
    M
    majjo wrote: »
    Maybe I should clarify then: a 90 degree left turn from an overpass onto a multilane highway, as shown on the apple maps icon is impossible.
    I see what you're saying but, it is possible, because maps cannot determine your vertical location, only horizontal (speaking in 3dimensional terms) so it is possible that the location may be under the highway but looks as if they were on the highway. I hope that makes sense lol.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    pt123 wrote: »

I like iOS 5 maps because I can quickly look up an address and click on the walk icon to show me the quickest path. I just enjoy having that use case. I don't really have anything against the iOS 6 maps, but I won't be able to go back to iOS 5 if I upgrade so I don't mind waiting.
    Patience is a good trait ; )
  • Reply 46 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Again anecdotal, but my experience with Apple Maps walking directions for trails has been severely lacking in my area Even crossing a park though a sidewalk wasn't an option. Also, to what majjo stated about his sister's location at university, my local university isn't well covered by Apple Maps but Google Maps is about as complete as I can imagine. This is one area I will condemn Apple. They know they have a huge number of college age students, had several years to get it down, and have access to all the data. I see no reason they shouldn't have been able to make universities feature complete.

That said, I much prefer how Apple Maps does turn-by-turn directions and the way it renders over Google's iOS app, their web app, and their Android app. TbT and vector weren't not even an option pre-iOS 6 unless you bought one of the many options in the App Store. I still use my TomTom app as it has its own benefits but I'm certain that will continue to drop unless TomTom makes some major UI changes.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Again anecdotal, but my experience with Apple Maps walking directions for trails has been severely lacking in my area Even crossing a park though a sidewalk wasn't an option. Also, to what majjo stated about his sister's location at university, my local university isn't well covered by Apple Maps but Google Maps is about as complete as I can imagine. This is one area I will condemn Apple. They know they have a huge number of college age students, had several years to get it down, and have access to all the data. I see no reason they shouldn't have been able to make universities feature complete.

That said, I much prefer how Apple Maps does turn-by-turn directions and the way it renders over Google's iOS app, their web app, and their Android app. TbT and vector weren't not even an option pre-iOS 6 unless you bought one of the many options in the App Store. I still use my TomTom app as it has its own benefits but I'm certain that will continue to drop unless TomTom makes some major UI changes.

I feel like i'm the only one that loves the new apple maps & it's integration with yelp. I mean all they need is some time to make improvements. With some patience apple maps may become the best map app in 2015. I think it's strange that Scott F. Was fired. He was one of the originals. I guess people change or lose their way. I don't know. All i'm saying is that iOS 6 maps works great for me.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Phone is a nexus 4.

Anything else because Google's own brand get the update so quickly? If part of your purchase was because of rapid updates that is a smart choice but but what about all the other Android-based devices in relation to the fragmentation and what developers have to go through. Despite the improved API support you aren't going to see a lot of developers honing in to make their apps ideal for the Nexus 4 because so few even fairly recent Android builds, much less the newest one.
    Lol, looks like I hit a nerve with the icon remark. Relax; no I don't judge the app on the icon, but its still funny to see an impossible turn being shown, given the reputation the app has gotten.

Irrationality always strikes a nerve with me, but I'm quite fair about it, you could even say I'm rational about it, as it has nothing to do with being for or against any one person, product or company. But again, it's not showing you directions, it's showing you an icon that was designed to be visually pleasing. Personally, I'm surprised they didn't release a new icon that showcased the new spaceship HW that is being built as a way to draw a deeper line in the sand over the new and old maps app. Perhaps they will once it's complete.
  • Reply 49 of 77

Quote:

Again anecdotal, but my experience with Apple Maps walking directions for trails has been severely lacking in my area Even crossing a park though a sidewalk wasn't an option.

iOS 6 Maps doesn't do walking directions, right?

• Reply 50 of 77

iOS 6 Maps doesn't do walking directions, right?

IOS 6 maps does have walking distance data. ???????????? woohoo!!
  • Reply 51 of 77
    edit: Pipped by [B]WontonParmesan[/B].
  • Reply 52 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by WontonParmesan View Post

IOS 6 maps does have walking distance data. ???????????? woohoo!!

I didn't see it on Apple's website. I will look again.

• Reply 53 of 77
    Oo word? I'm not sure if they list it on apple's website. You can definitely get walking distance on iOS 6 maps though.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    it does. What it doesn't do is Transit without a supplemental app of your choice from the App Store..

Without being argumentative, that is the purpose of a world class App Store.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Without being argumentative, that is the purpose of a world class App Store.

I don't understand your query well enough to answer.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    I feel like i'm the only one that loves the new apple maps & it's integration with yelp. I mean all they need is some time to make improvements. With some patience apple maps may become the best map app in 2015. I think it's strange that Scott F. Was fired. He was one of the originals. I guess people change or lose their way. I don't know. All i'm saying is that iOS 6 maps works great for me.

I really appreciate the considerable thought and effort of Apple Maps. One might call that "love" if one so chooses. That isn't to say the app doesn't need more effort though. The clear, concise mapping and navigation function really shames competitors who add features and functionality without a clear direction.

Forstall was fired, as I understand the situation, for being an inflexible contrarian who couldn't maintain a reasonable relationship with the executive management. Managing such a world class company is nearly impossible when Ives and Mansfield (and possibly others) wouldn't meet with Forstall.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    I really appreciate the considerable thought and effort of Apple Maps. One might call that "love" if one so chooses. That isn't to say the app doesn't need more effort though. The clear, concise mapping and navigation function really shames competitors who add features and functionality without a clear direction.

Forstall was fired, as I understand the situation, for being an inflexible contrarian who couldn't maintain a reasonable relationship with the executive management. Managing such a world class company is nearly impossible when Ives and Mansfield (and possibly others) wouldn't meet with Forstall.
    I feel what you're saying.
  • Reply 58 of 77

I've never really been a Yelp user. In fact, I'm amazed at how seriously businesses take such reviews despite it being no harder to post a comment there than it his on this forum. I've certainly come across Yelp in maps as I have looked up businesses before and the look is pretty great.

I've said many times before that Apple Maps is the best mapping app I've ever seen. Note that is not to say that the backend and databases it pulls from are the most complete or accurate, just that the app itself is brilliant in it's look, feel and performance.

I think it will be the best all around in a couple years which, if true, will put it many years ahead of how long it took Google Maps to be considered the best all around mapping app, which obviously includes their web app.

Speaking of, Apple really needs to get a web app version up and running. Right now if you want to share an address or directions the link will be maps.apple.com but then will convert the data and forward you to a maps.google.com link. That doesn't look good at all and it doesn't help make their data more accurate if you can't ever use maps.apple.com to find a location or get directions.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Anything else because Google's own brand get the update so quickly? If part of your purchase was because of rapid updates that is a smart choice but but what about all the other Android-based devices in relation to the fragmentation and what developers have to go through. Despite the improved API support you aren't going to see a lot of developers honing in to make their apps ideal for the Nexus 4 because so few even fairly recent Android builds, much less the newest one.

In the android community, its pretty cemented that if you want immediate updates, you buy a nexus device, full stop. That said, fragmentation is definitely an issue with the platform, and its just the nature of the beast with how android works. The situation is improving, as OEMs move away from heavily bloated skins, and incorporate much more AOSP features and follow the holo design guidelines. (eg. sense 5.0) Last I checked 40% are on Android 4.x, and every major new phone that I know of is launching with Jellybean.

I can't speak on behalf of developers, but I would guess that the nexus 4 would be a good device to target their apps for (as google intended). a 720p, 4.5+" screen seems to be the standard. and the S4 pro looks like its going to be the most popular SoC of 2013.
    M
    I see what you're saying but, it is possible, because maps cannot determine your vertical location, only horizontal (speaking in 3dimensional terms) so it is possible that the location may be under the highway but looks as if they were on the highway. I hope that makes sense lol.

Actually, I stand corrected. It is possible, if you're the transporter ;)
  • Reply 60 of 77
    In the android community, its pretty cemented that if you want immediate updates, you buy a nexus device, full stop. That said, fragmentation is definitely an issue with the platform, and its just the nature of the beast with how android works. The situation is improving, as OEMs move away from heavily bloated skins, and incorporate much more AOSP features and follow the holo design guidelines. (eg. sense 5.0) Last I checked 40% are on Android 4.x, and every major new phone that I know of is launching with Jellybean.

I can't speak on behalf of developers, but I would guess that the nexus 4 would be a good device to target their apps for (as google intended). a 720p, 4.5+" screen seems to be the standard. and the S4 pro looks like its going to be the most popular SoC of 2013.
    Actually, I stand corrected. It is possible, if you're the transporter ;)
    Lol