Apple CEO Tim Cook on Android growth: 'Success is not making the most'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 201
    cgr111cgr111 Posts: 40member
    [quote name="jungmark" url="/t/156205/apple-ceo-tim-cook-on-android-growth-success-is-not-making-the-most/150#post_2287838"]
    Why would anyone want Cook to "turn around" a company that had the most profitable year in corporate history and one of the most profitable qtrs in history.[/quote

I was referring to the stock price, which I think needs turning around. Also, Samsung seems to be a little more innovative at this point, not to mention superior PR and advertising.
  • Reply 182 of 201
    jungmark wrote: »
    Why would anyone want Cook to "turn around" a company that had the most profitable year in corporate history and one of the most profitable qtrs in history.

Why? Because the stock has tanked! That's why!
  • Reply 183 of 201
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cgr111 View Post

If he so great, why has the stock tanked, folks?

How about the corollary? If Apple just made the fourth highest quarterly profits of any company, ever, while continuing to create products desired by hundreds of millions of people, while continuing a history of unparalleled customer satisfaction and product quality, and while operating the most efficient inventory of any large company, why has the stock tanked?

Precious? Who said he was the most successful and efficient COO of all time? You!

Yep, and I don't see you refuting me.

Originally Posted by cgr111 View Post

Who. Gives. A. Frick? There's nothing to "turn around" when they're more successful than they have ever been. What would you have them do? What magical nonsense can happen to "change" their success to make the stock turn around? If this is your money you're worried about, get out of the stock market and get a savings account somewhere. 

• Reply 184 of 201
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cgr111 wrote: »

Because analysts make up sh1t and short termers believe them. Because hedge funds want to extract as much money as possible from the company. Because WS isn't based on reality.
  • Reply 185 of 201
    I think it has more do with the fact that in the earnings conference call on January 23, 2013, in discussing production, his supposed area of real expertise, Tim used 5 conjunctions in a run-on sentence. His message was muddled and obtuse; like most every time he comments ("considering" this or that). Who does he think he is Chairman of the Federal Reserve? If he could be clear when he comments, the investment community could find a level of confidence and continuity in his strategies.
  • Reply 186 of 201

…in discussing production, his supposed area of real expertise…

STOP. MAKING. THINGS. UP.

Tim used 5 conjunctions in a run-on sentence.

What sentence would this be? Why does this matter? Do you speak how you write? I do, but I write well. That leads to people thinking my speech outmoded. If he had been perfectly on a mark, you'd complain about how he was "reading from a script" and "didn't actually care or have passion" about what he was saying.

If he could be clear when he comments, the investment community could find a level of confidence and continuity in his strategies.

Don't actions (profit, revenue, desirability, etc.) speak louder than words? 

• Reply 187 of 201
    Verbatim from the transcript:

Tim Cook - Chief Executive Officer
    But Bill, let me make one additional point on this, I know there has been lots of rumors about order cuts and so forth and so let me just take a moment to make a comment on these, I don’t want to comment on any particular rumor because I would spend my life doing that but I would suggest it's good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans and also stress that even if a particular data point were factual it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business because the supply chain is very complex and we obviously have multiple sources for things, yields might vary, supply performance can vary.
  • Reply 188 of 201

Verbatim from the transcript:

Tim Cook - Chief Executive Officer

But Bill, let me make one additional point on this, I know there has been lots of rumors about order cuts and so forth and so let me just take a moment to make a comment on these, I don’t want to comment on any particular rumor because I would spend my life doing that but I would suggest it's good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans and also stress that even if a particular data point were factual it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business because the supply chain is very complex and we obviously have multiple sources for things, yields might vary, supply performance can vary.

Thanks. So your point is what?

• Reply 189 of 201
    Please.....
  • Reply 190 of 201
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cgr111 wrote: »
    If he so great, why has the stock tanked, folks?

Didn't the stock go down to $80 in 2008 under SJ?
  • Reply 191 of 201

Please.....

You don't understand what he's saying and you think this is somehow "failure" on his part. That's all I'm getting here.

Ever diagram a sentence? Go through that process here. Find the main point.

I know there has been lots of rumors about order cuts and so forth and so let me just take a moment to make a comment on these, I don’t want to comment on any particular rumor because I would spend my life doing that but I would suggest it's good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans and also stress that even if a particular data point were factual it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business because the supply chain is very complex and we obviously have multiple sources for things, yields might vary, supply performance can vary.

So now we have a core sentence. How about the rest? What of the other information?

I know there has been lots of rumors about order cuts and so forth and so let me just take a moment to make a comment on these, I don’t want to comment on any particular rumor because I would spend my life doing that but I would suggest it's good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans and also stress that even if a particular data point were factual it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business because the supply chain is very complex and we obviously have multiple sources for things, yields might vary, supply performance can vary.

Is it really hard to understand? He's talking here, not writing; there's plenty of leeway in sentence construction. Your first step is listening to it again. You've listened to it enough to transcribe it (or at least find a transcription). Then you go through and do this. It's the same with any information about any topic; if you don't understand it, you break it down to something that makes sense.

• Reply 192 of 201
    1st1st Posts: 443member

interesting about the pricing: Normally, it is based on two key factors: (1) willingness to pay value - your target customer at estimated market size and (2) cost recovery - that including development, marketing, R&D and future platform implementation.  For any mature products, the majority cost already recovered.  To expend the target customer base by lowering price need  to match the new customer needs (it may not be the same as your original target as per design.  ex. the new one may not down load you-tube that much, etc.).  you need to price it right for the function that new user would be thinking as "value".  If you already covered a majority of "willingness to pay" base, it is hard to reach the "willingness not to pay" - some of those only willing to fork  over "zero" at carrier contract.  ;-).   

• Reply 193 of 201
    LOL!
  • Reply 194 of 201
    It did, but TC is no SJ!
  • Reply 195 of 201
    dasanman69 wrote: »

It did, but TC is no SJ!
  • Reply 196 of 201

It did, but TC is no SJ!

So you're a hypocrite. Okay.

• Reply 197 of 201
    So you're a hypocrite. Okay.

LOL!
  • Reply 198 of 201
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Yes, but TC is no SJ!
  • Reply 199 of 201

Yes, but TC is no SJ!

So you're a… whoa, déjà vu.