tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why are we using red text in thread?

Because doing a split quote is hard!

• Reply 102 of 119
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

The iPad is getting tantalizingly close to having the capabilities of a high end laptop

You must be joking, right?

The iPad is a great device, but it isn't close to having the capabilities of a bargain-bin special laptop, let alone a high-end one. You can't even have two apps on screen at the same time. Computers could do that 20 years ago!

• Reply 103 of 119

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

The iPad is a great device, but it isn't close to having the capabilities of a bargain-bin special laptop…

Challenge.

You can't even have two apps on screen at the same time. Computers could do that 20 years ago!

It also doesn't have a SCSI port. So the iPad isn't as good as 20 year old computers, in your mind.

• Reply 104 of 119
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Challenge.

It also doesn't have a SCSI port. So the iPad isn't as good as 20 year old computers, in your mind.

Not quite an apt analogy. No use for SCSI port anymore. But multiple windows would be nice from time  to time.

• Reply 105 of 119
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Challenge.

Challenge?
    Show me your FLAC to MP3 encoding times from your iPad.
    Show me your workflow for PSDs with more than 20 layers and over 4K x 4K resolution on your iPad (as well as your timings for filters applying on such images)
    Show me your LuxRender rendering times on your iPad.
    Show me how you edit a complete urban planning project with AutoCAD on your iPad.
    Show me how you do on iOS any project that requires external references, considering that iOS apps cannot have external references to files owned by other apps.
    Show me Xcode working on your iPad.

Do you want more challenge, or is it enough with this?
  • Reply 106 of 119
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ecs wrote: »
    Challenge?
    Show me your FLAC to MP3 encoding times from your iPad.
    Show me your workflow for PSDs with more than 20 layers and over 4K x 4K resolution on your iPad (as well as your timings for filters applying on such images)
    Show me your LuxRender rendering times on your iPad.
    Show me how you edit a complete urban planning project with AutoCAD on your iPad.
    Show me how you do on iOS any project that requires external references, considering that iOS apps cannot have external references to files owned by other apps.
    Show me Xcode working on your iPad.

The comment was "The iPad is a great device, but it isn't close to having the capabilities of a bargain-bin special laptop." Surely a different type of computing device ha difference benefits and capabilities but the OP's implication was that the iPad doesn't have any benefits over a bargain-bin notebook. Do you agree with that undertone that the iPad is inferior to an bargain-bin laptop in every way? If so, then why is it so popular?
  • Reply 107 of 119
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Do you agree with that undertone that the iPad is inferior to an bargain-bin laptop in every way? If so, then why is it so popular?
    It is popular because of social networks, Internet browsing, and simple media apps. But, when it comes to any real computer work (beginning with code compiling, and extending to most stuff you can do on a Mac), the iPad cannot be used for that.
  • Reply 108 of 119
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The comment was "The iPad is a great device, but it isn't close to having the capabilities of a bargain-bin special laptop." Surely a different type of computing device ha difference benefits and capabilities but the OP's implication was that the iPad doesn't have any benefits over a bargain-bin notebook. Do you agree with that undertone that the iPad is inferior to an bargain-bin laptop in every way? If so, then why is it so popular?

Because most people just want to email, be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, watch YouTube and read books.
  • Reply 109 of 119
    It is popular because of social networks, Internet browsing, and simple media apps. But, when it comes to any real computer work (beginning with code compiling, and extending to most stuff you can do on a Mac), the iPad cannot be used for that.

Really? Code compiling? That's your counter argument? That's like arguing that 'bargain-bin notebooks" are crap for everyone because they are't good for rendering Pixar films.

PS: You can run compilers on the iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch if you really want to.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Because most people just want to email, be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, watch YouTube and read books.

And are any of these better suited for the iPad over other computing devices? If not, then why is the iPad so popular?
  • Reply 110 of 119
    Really? Code compiling? That's your counter argument? That's like arguing that 'bargain-bin notebooks" are crap for everyone because they are't good for rendering Pixar films.

PS: You can run compilers on the iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch if you really want to.
    And are any of these better suited for the iPad over other computing devices? If not, then why is the iPad so popular?

You didn't read my post. I wrote a (quite incomplete) list of typical tasks you do on a Mac but cannot be done on iPad in a reasonable way. Regarding compilers, I'd be very interested in knowing how do you build an iOS app from iOS (no, that's not my main argument, but you said it's possible to do it, so please tell how...)
  • Reply 111 of 119
    You didn't read my post. I wrote a (quite incomplete) list of typical tasks you do on a Mac but cannot be done on iPad in a reasonable way. Regarding compilers, I'd be very interested in knowing how do you build an iOS app from iOS (no, that's not my main argument, but you said it's possible to do it, so please tell how...)

1) I did read your post. If you implied something not stated I may have missed it as I skim most comments and don't often look for hidden messages.

2) You stated things that can't be done with a standard setup of the iPad but you made it sound like it's impossible to do as well made these tasks out to be requirements for the average user when they clearly aren't. You give me any machine and I can give you a (quite incomplete) lists of things it can't do which makes me wonder why that is an argument someone would take. Lets remember that converting FLAC to MP3 was your first item.

3) I never said build an iOS app I said code compiling as that is what you said in your post about how you define "real" computer work (which sounds elitist in every way). I'm not even a coder but I am well aware that there are plenty of compliers for iOS. They've been there for years in the JB community. Why you'd want this is on an iPhone is another story but it's there for the very few and far between that can have a use for it.
  • Reply 112 of 119

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Sure, I'd like some actually relevant data; that'd be cool.

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

But, when it comes to any real computer work… …the iPad cannot be used for that.

On second thought, forget it. You've already given me all the answers I need.

• Reply 113 of 119
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Because it's bigger than a smartphone and can be done lounging on a bed or sofa without being cumbersome like a laptop.
  • Reply 114 of 119
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Because it's bigger than a smartphone and can be done lounging on a bed or sofa without being cumbersome like a laptop.

So size and weight have intrinsic value. I'd add that since most people use their "computers" to do a fairly small range of similar tasks that iOS is designed to be a versatile appliance to cater to those common uses with the HW being fast enough to serve those needs very well.
  • Reply 115 of 119
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why are we using red text in thread?

Because its easier than trying to split quotes.  This site sucks on the iPad.

• Reply 116 of 119
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

But the people who know better know that this is all largely bullshit. I don't believe any of this, do you?

No but constant D&G and FUD out there does impact sentiment and mindshare and very well may impact future sales.  I guess I'm just sick of all the negativity, which had even seeped into fan sites.  Go to MacRumors some day and the amount of negative Apple sentiment outweighs the positive  9:1.  

I guess my frustration leads me wish Apple would do something about it except ride it out and hope new products turn the negative meme around.  What worries me though is Apple refreshed basically their entire product line last year yet the D&G from the media and tech press is higher than ever.  What evidence is there that 2013 will be any different except that maybe the media will get bored of pushing this meme and move on to someone else.

• Reply 117 of 119
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    sdo2000 wrote: »
    He isn't really far off though. The imac does not have desktop class graphics. The imac uses laptop grade video cards which aren't as powerful as their desktop counterparts. /shrug

True, but how many gamers would buy iMac, even if it is offered with desktop grade graphics? Gamers are usually into building their machines, unless they don't go for some pre-built Alienware/Clevo/whatever boutique gaming desktop manufacturer.

I don't really think Apple would get many customers from that market share at this stage, so... why bother?
  • Reply 118 of 119
    I would echo saarek's comment completely. Apart from the iMac, which has a totally uncalled-for further slimming down (for no reason) and concomitantly a massive reduction is user-friendliness (upgradeability, connectivity), there is no real MacPro and the MacMini is no alternative for ppl looking for a bit more muscle. Apple's desktop 'strategy' has lost its direction, what with a new MacPro coming (or not? Pros need some planning space) and the iMac being a virtual design-zombie no even getting produced properly.

So, I had these (expected) poor sales will lead Apple into a better direction. It's not that people don't want Macs as desktops (I recently bought a new iMac of the previous generation, which is much better value for me than the current line-up) but they need a decent offer.
  • Reply 119 of 119

Originally Posted by Entologos View Post

Apart from the iMac, which has a totally uncalled-for further slimming down[citation needed] (for no reason[citation needed]) and concomitantly a massive reduction[citation needed] in user-friendliness (upgradeability, connectivity[citation needed]), there is no real MacPro[citation needed] and the MacMini is no alternative[citation needed] for ppl looking for a bit more muscle. Apple's desktop 'strategy' has lost its direction[citation needed], what with a new MacPro coming (or not(it is))? Pros need some planning space) and the iMac being a virtual design-zombie no even getting produced properly(that's fixed).

So, I had these (expected) poor sales will lead Apple into a better direction.

Why would they, when Apple knows exactly why they happened and has already fixed the problem? This is the better direction.

…they need a decent offer.

And when the Mac Pro is updated this year, they'll have decent offers for three machines.