Arkansas State's 'iPad Initiative' will require all incoming students to have Apple's tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    I am the director of technology at a private school and I can tell you that standardizing on a device increases the usefulness of the devices in the classroom. That's the only thing that matters. We're probably integrating iPads into our school starting next year and I'm not even looking at Androids because they're just not the same thing. iTunes U, iBooks, native apps, a company that values education, these are platform specific.
  • Reply 22 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What brings down the site is Fandroid infiltrators who have no business here.

Just think of me as Fandroid repellent, that is my goal.

Repellent? Certainly. 'Fandroid repellent'? Not so much.

• Reply 23 of 120
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 238member
    Why not? Just one more thing for dumbass administrators to require dumbass college students to buy after taking out dumbass student loans.
  • Reply 24 of 120
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

A standard configuration does make sense, just as having a Windows-centric campus did in the late 1990s. Plus, I haven't seen much evidence that Android is interested in the realm of education.

Apple ][ View Post

ecpho View Post

comments like these really bring down the quality of this site. are you that threatened by android?

What brings down the site is Fandroid infiltrators who have no business here.

There's no point in a forum at all if we follow your philosophy. "Special kind of broken" indeed. Reminds me of the grays from Apple's 1984 ad.

When you create an online space with no room for alternate opinions, that's called an "echo chamber," or a text-based version of smelling your own farts all day. No different than Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity cutting the mics of token liberal punching bags, then patting themselves on the back for being paragons of unbiased truth. Contrast that with Abraham Lincoln famously filling his cabinet with people holding a diversity of opinions, so he could hear all sides and make more informed decisions.

But let's shut out all the 'fans-of-android,' declare Apple the One True Faith, and close this forum, eh?

• Reply 25 of 120
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

A standard configuration does make sense, just as having a Windows-centric campus did in the late 1990s. Plus, I haven't seen much evidence that Android is interested in the realm of education.

There's no point in a forum at all if we follow your philosophy. "Special kind of broken" indeed. Reminds me of the grays from Apple's 1984 ad.

When you create an online space with no room for alternate opinions, that's called an "echo chamber," or a text-based version of smelling your own farts all day. No different than Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity cutting the mics of token liberal punching bags, then patting themselves on the back for being paragons of unbiased truth. Contrast that with Abraham Lincoln famously filling his cabinet with people holding a diversity of opinions, so he could hear all sides and make more informed decisions.

But let's shut out all the 'fans-of-android,' declare Apple the One True Faith, and close this forum, eh?

Yes, and have a big bonfire to which we consign the infidels and their infidel devices.

• Reply 26 of 120
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There's no point in a forum at all if we follow your philosophy.

I don't see why these follow. Not allowing trolls ? everyone agrees.

• Reply 27 of 120
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

And not every person who sees merit in Android is a troll. The kicker this time is, trolling wasn't even happening here, but in "a thread at Anandtech." Here it may as well be a strawman.

Discussions must be a lost art. What's so hard about Person-A posting a statement about Android, Person-B correcting the factual errors, and discussion continuing?

• Reply 28 of 120
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Actually, quite the opposite.

Abnormally biased posters like you are exactly what attracts so many normal people to respond, and real fans to leave.

Yep, sad but true.  YOU are a major reason why there are so many open-minded thinkers here.  

Therefore, the only way to save the forum from them, is for you to leave, or to change your ways to be less "repellent".

• Reply 29 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    igriv wrote: »
    Funny? You find state mandated vendor lock-in funny? I hear North Korea is wonderful -- Dennis Rodman really likes it, I am sure you will too.

The students choose to go to the school. If u dont want an iPad, don't enroll.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I don't see why these follow. Not allowing trolls ? everyone agrees.

With that I agree but also fandroid does not equate apple hater or vice versa.
  • Reply 31 of 120
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Among the new students, there has to be at least a couple of Apple haters or Fandroids, and I find it pretty funny that these people will now be forced to use an iPad, they have no choice. 

Last I checked ASU wasn't the only school in Arkansas.

so

yes they have a choice

• Reply 32 of 120

And not every person who sees merit in Android is a troll.

Correct.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

With that I agree but also fandroid does not equate apple hater or vice versa.

Well, when you start bandying around this sort of names… image

• Reply 33 of 120

This puts the school in some dangerous waters. Most schools do not require even computers majority of the schools have at least a 24/7 computer lab for students. Requiring students to purchase a non-academically required item (as opposed to note books, writing utensils  and paper). In most large schools even text books are not required to be purchased, as you can go into the library and generally find one (except around finals). Requiring students to pay 329.99 for an ipad is bad unless the school excepts that their are going to be many students who are on financial aid who can not afford the extra cost of an ipad and will then had to subsidize the cost of it or give them free to certain students. The school will realize that is a lot of money for them to spend on buying ipads. 

• Reply 34 of 120
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

This puts the school in some dangerous waters. Most schools do not require even computers majority of the schools have at least a 24/7 computer lab for students. Requiring students to purchase a non-academically required item

For this school it is an academically required item. Students that disagree with this are welcome to go elsewhere. Students that can't afford this cost if its not in financial aid can go elsewhere. As a wise man once said 'just because you get into Harvard doesn't mean you can afford to go there (or that they will help you with the costs)

• Reply 35 of 120

Requiring students to purchase a non-academically required item (as opposed to note books, writing utensils  and paper).

It's academically required for this school.

Pencil and paper? Many colleges won't accept things turned in using that medium. That's a non-academically required item.

• Reply 36 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Last I checked ASU wasn't the only school in Arkansas.

That abbreviation only means Arizona to me, although if one did graduate from Arkansas State they should consider listing it as ASU on their résumé since Arizona is one of the top schools that HR departments are looking at.

• Reply 37 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

For this school it is an academically required item. Students that disagree with this are welcome to go elsewhere. Students that can't afford this cost if its not in financial aid can go elsewhere. As a wise man once said 'just because you get into Harvard doesn't mean you can afford to go there (or that they will help you with the costs)

As I said there is nothing that is required for school that will set a student back more than a hundred dollars (a graphing calculator). I myself lived in a pretty busy apartment so I studied at the library where there was a 24/7 computer lab. After my first semester I stopped buying the books that where available in the Library because I would be studying there anyway. I realized that collage if one is smart is cheaper than it seems. I pay 30 dollars a semester most of which is for scantrons. Being forced to buy something like an ipad multiplies what I spent by 10x. It is an unnecessary cost to place on students. 

• Reply 38 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I realized that collage if one is smart is cheaper than it seems. I pay 30 dollars a semester most of which is for scantrons. Being forced to buy something like an ipad multiplies what I spent by 10x. It is an unnecessary cost to place on students. 

Welcome to Little Rock Community College... or Collage if you prefer.

• Reply 39 of 120
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

You think $330 is bad? Try an average cost of $834 per year on books and supplies for their college classes, and that was according to the 2007-08 National Postsecondary Student Aid Study for full-time students. New textbook costs today are EIGHT TIMES what they cost in the late '70s, and for full-time students are estimated to reach an average of $1300 in 2013! By comparison, the Consumer Price Index has grown by two-and-a-half times over the same period. Schools are demonstrating that tablet technology is making real progress in regaining control over the cost of distributing knowledge in the college environment. Educators gain the flexibility to offer their students a richer learning experience that goes far beyond black and white type that started becoming out-of-date the moment the pages came off the printing press. iTunesU is the perfect demonstration of this capability. One more thing: Students with tablets don't get stuck with one more costly, white-elephant textbook at the end of the class term, which they may not even be able to trade in because a new publisher's edition has rendered it obsolete.

• Reply 40 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's academically required for this school.

Pencil and paper? Many colleges won't accept things turned in using that medium. That's a non-academically required item.

Most colleges issue test on Scantrons. Are you aware what you use to inter your answer on a Scantron. Its not a text message. And I would like to you to go to one single American University where there is not one professor who bans the use of computers from there lectures. In those lectures what does one take notes on? I had two professors like this. In fact when it comes to note taking its better to write it out then to type it out. Most students end up going to facebook and the computer becomes more of a distraction then a tool for them. Seriously go to the closest College in your area go to a large lecture and see how many of the computers are on facebook and not typing out notes.