Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's dominance in the tablet computing sector seems unlikely to wane in the near future, as a new consumer survey found half of the respondents looking to buy a tablet were planning on getting an iPad, with no other company seeing double digit interest.

charty chart

The Yankee Group recently surveyed 506 consumers, asking them which brand of tablet they intended to buy. Apple's iPad was the tablet of choice for nearly half the respondent pool with 47 percent. Preference for the iPad was nearly seven times larger than Apple's next competitor, Amazon.

The results paint a grim picture for the rest of the tablet market. Amazon and Samsung scored seven and six percent, respectively, and no other manufacturer even approached 10 percent. Interest in the iPad was 20 points higher than interest in all other manufacturers combined.

The report notes that Samsung plans to make a big push in the tablet segment this year. In February, the company unveiled the Galaxy Note 8.0, a mid-size, stylus-enabled tablet meant to take on Apple's iPad mini. Samsung is aiming at doubling its tablet sales this year, which would amount to roughly 40 million tablets.

Introduced in 2010, Apple's iPad jumpstarted the languishing tablet market and has held sway over the segment ever since. Apple CEO Tim Cook views the iPad as the poster child for the post-PC revolution and views the market it dominates as "the mother of all markets." In the years since its introduction, multiple companies have introduced competing devices, but all have fallen far short of the iPad's sales. The most successful competitors have been Amazon's Kindle Fire and the Google/Asus-produced Nexus 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Neg spin: iPad not desired by > 50%. Stock drops 40.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What's funny is BB is at 2% while Google and Motorola are at 1% apiece. Does BB even make the Playbook anymore?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

More appropriate:

Apple products no longer desired by 103% of consumers.  Apple is doomed.

• Reply 4 of 48
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

If I may... Apple's brand marketing is pretty bad-ass. Whether you love Apple or hate them... they are  the Coca-Cola of the tech world. The synergy between their products, especially the iPhone and iPods lent a pretty nice Halo effect to the iPad.

But I take this study with a grain of salt:

1. Time - are these users buying an iPad in 6 months or less or just being asked IF they were to buy a tablet, which one?

2. Advertising - Apart from iPads ads and the headtstart of the product in 2009-ish... The top competing tablets, like the Nexus 7 or even the Kindle Fire, have significantly less TV/media time. And we all know about marketing... impressions, eyeballs, views...

3. Afterward - I'd LOVE to see a survey of users 1 year after purchasing an iPad, Fire, etc. THAT is the survey that counts as big as this one, because those users will help determine if the iPad/Tablet buying fervor is a trend or a true shift in computing.

So for me... this is an awareness study... and not so much as... I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY buying an iPad study.

• Reply 5 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Surprise.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is hardly any surprise. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

I can see two legitimate reasons for not choosing an iPad:

(1) The person happens to be a weirdo and an Apple hater for whatever reason, and they'll use anything else, even if it's terrible, as long as it's not Apple.

(2) The person is flat broke, and every single dollar and penny counts, so they end up with a cheapo tablet that is extremely inferior to an iPad. Truth be told, if these people were so broke, it would actually be a wiser investment and use of their precious dollars to buy an iPad. But broke people usually aren't good with finances, money and making the right decisions, that's why they're broke to begin with.

• Reply 7 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The media would put a negative spin on Apple if they had anything less than 75%.

The media is filled with idiots because some of them were talking doom and gloom when Jobs went back to Apple and now instead of changing their attitude and praising Apple for their turnaround, they want to find some nitpicking reason to put them down.

I find most of the players in the media that spell doom and gloom for Apple are just jealous and afraid to admit they were wrong.

Oh well.

• Reply 8 of 48
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    [QUOTE name="Apple ][" url="/t/156284/apples-ipad-by-far-the-most-desired-tablet-among-consumers#post_2287529"]
    This is hardly any surprise. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

I can see two legitimate reasons for not choosing an iPad:

(1) The person happens to be a weirdo and an Apple hater for whatever reason, and they'll use anything else, even if it's terrible, as long as it's not Apple.

(2) The person is flat broke, and every single dollar and penny counts, so they end up with a cheapo tablet that is extremely inferior to an iPad. Truth be told, if these people were so broke, it would actually be a wiser investment and use of their precious dollars to buy an iPad. But broke people usually aren't good with finances, money and making the right decisions, that's why they're broke to begin with.
    [/QUOTE]

[SIZE=12px]I think I'd agree with your points overall but I'd have said:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px](2) Some people aren't able to afford an iPad due to financial issues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]It's assuming a lot to just say a lot of people are broke "because they're ignorant/irresponsible" as you're basically saying. Not everyone begins life at the same point so it's harder for some to reach the place where they're able to spend $500 on a "want" instead of a "need." Besides, if a person is flat broke, they shouldn't be buying a tablet in the first place, they should probably be saving the money for the future.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 9 of 48
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Then assume that the 'undecideds' eventually split roughly the same (once they think about it), and you get about 57% total.

Doomed, I say.

• Reply 10 of 48
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Ha ha! Don't tell me that Amazon is leading Samsung.  Samsung deserves lagging.  

• Reply 11 of 48
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    If I'm not mistaken, this figure was roughly 80% one year ago. Negative? Yes. Spin? No, just the fact.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

2. Advertising - Apart from iPads ads and the headtstart of the product in 2009-ish... The top competing tablets, like the Nexus 7 or even the Kindle Fire, have significantly less TV/media time. And we all know about marketing... impressions, eyeballs, views...

Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs Apple's.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/50b9282869bedd8822000058-960/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-marketing-budget-in-context-november-2012.jpg

• Reply 13 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

What about that "Surface" . . .  thing?

• Reply 14 of 48
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Definitely 50% of the  portion - unsure 23% - will come to iPad.  So... iPad occupies 59% :D

• Reply 15 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Besides, if a person is flat broke, they shouldn't be buying a tablet in the first place, they should probably be saving the money for the future.

I agree with that. If a person is so broke that a couple of dollars is a huge deal for them, then buying a tablet should be the last thing on their minds.

• Reply 16 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What about that "Surface" . . .  thing?

That thing needs to flop quickly, because I'm getting pretty annoyed by those commercials that they keep showing whenever I rarely decide to catch a show on tv.

I think that it's already flopped, but they are still spending huge amounts of money on the advertising campaign. Hopefully that money will all be spent soon.

• Reply 17 of 48
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

If I may... Apple's brand marketing is pretty bad-ass. Whether you love Apple or hate them... they are  the Coca-Cola of the tech world. The synergy between their products, especially the iPhone and iPods lent a pretty nice Halo effect to the iPad.

But I take this study with a grain of salt:

1. Time - are these users buying an iPad in 6 months or less or just being asked IF they were to buy a tablet, which one?

3. Afterward - I'd LOVE to see a survey of users 1 year after purchasing an iPad, Fire, etc. THAT is the survey that counts as big as this one, because those users will help determine if the iPad/Tablet buying fervor is a trend or a true shift in computing.

So for me... this is an awareness study... and not so much as... I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY buying an iPad study.

I don't know what you watch, but I can not watch a single show, network, cable, hulu, and NOT see a Surface add. Lots of kindle Fires in there too. Then iPad, then Nexus 7. So I don't think iPad ads are as out there as the perception is, and certainly not in direct correlation to the "desire" or actual purchases

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The media would put a negative spin on Apple if they had anything less than 75%.

The media is filled with idiots because some of them were talking doom and gloom when Jobs went back to Apple and now instead of changing their attitude and praising Apple for their turnaround, they want to find some nitpicking reason to put them down.

I find most of the players in the media that spell doom and gloom for Apple are just jealous and afraid to admit they were wrong.

Oh well.

True. My daughter has 100 averages in every class this year. (Second grade). My wife said to me she worries about her becoming lazy. That her work over the past week or so has started to suffer because she doesn't want to try something new. (she got a 95 on something). I said, "Where are here averages supposed to go? one wrong answer on one small test eliminates 100 from being possible. It isn't a big deal"

She agreed, but I think it shows the initial thought process. Something is going down = decline = bad. Until you think about the facts and reality.

Of COURSE Apple marketshare in tablet space is going to decline. The second one person buys one other non-iPad tablet it does.

• Reply 18 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Of COURSE Apple marketshare in tablet space is going to decline. The second one person buys one other non-iPad tablet it does.

Yep, when the iPad came out, it basically had 100% market share, because nobody else had something similar on the market, until all of the copycats began getting busy.

There's only one way to go from 100%, and that direction is not up. 

• Reply 19 of 48
    jungmark wrote: »

You say the jokingly, but there are websites that'll spin it that way, or simply talk about the decline of the iPad and the rise of Amazon.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree with that. If a person is so broke that a couple of dollars is a huge deal for them, then buying a tablet should be the last thing on their minds.

Nexus 7 = $199.99

iPad Mini = $329.99

$329.99 - $199.99 = $130.00

$130.00 /= "a couple of dollars."