First Look: Apple's iCloud data center site in Reno, Nevada

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 105
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post





    Why use the same account for each? In our family everyone has an iDevice and the store account ID is the same for each so music and Apps are available for everyone. However, each has a separate iCloud account so they all get 5GB of storage.


    I wasn't even aware that that was possible. Having a separate ID for each device, but sharing a store account ID?


     


    That would solve the issues that I was talking about, so I will certainly look into that. My Apple ID for my devices is the same as the store account ID though, so maybe I will need to make a new Apple ID for each device that I own, while still sharing the same store ID. I'll be looking more into this issue.

  • Reply 22 of 105
    bikenmbikenm Posts: 2member


    Are those chemtrails over yonder.

  • Reply 23 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by bikenm View Post

    Are those chemtrails over yonder.


     


    So what was the reason for bringing a conspiracy theory into this discussion?

  • Reply 24 of 105
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post





    Why use the same account for each? In our family everyone has an iDevice and the store account ID is the same for each so music and Apps are available for everyone. However, each has a separate iCloud account so they all get 5GB of storage.


    I tested your method.


     


    I did delete an iCloud account on one of my iPads and I made a new one and it did give me 5 GB of storage, so your method does work.


     


    However, your solution might be good for a family situation, but I think I'm going to delete the new iCloud ID which I made and revert back to the original way, because I am not sharing my devices with anybody, they're all mine, and now I am unable to access them all with the same ID when I go to iCloud.com.


     


    I liked how I was able to go to findmyiphone before and all of my devices would pop up on the same map, because they were all connected to the same iCloud account. That is no longer the case of course, if each one has a different account, and they don't share the same data, such as notes, reminders, contacts etc.


     


    So your solution seems to work great for multiple people, but for one sole person, such as myself, I guess that I'll just have to live with the limitations of 5 GB for the moment.

  • Reply 25 of 105
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Even after this expansion, I'll still experience the beach ball when trying to stream music.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    bikenmbikenm Posts: 2member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    So what was the reason for bringing a conspiracy theory into this discussion?



    I don't know. I have read theories on Apple discussion boards that are more far fetched than my comment. Just a light comment, take it easy.


    ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos



     

  • Reply 27 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by bikenm View Post

    I have read theories on Apple discussion boards that are more far fetched than my comment.

    ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos



     




     


    HA! Now that's true.

  • Reply 28 of 105
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    They could put a data center in Texas and power it with a giant bullshit furnace. There are megatons of that here.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member


    Very Groom Lake-ish . . . 


     


     


    image

  • Reply 30 of 105
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    One thing that I don't like about iCloud is that people who own multiple iOS devices get penalized for owning so many devices.


     


    If ten different people buys one iPad each, then every person will get 5 GB of iCloud storage space, costing Apple 50 GB of combined space.


     


    If one person buys ten iPads, then that person will only get 5 GB to share between all of their devices, costing Apple 5 GB of combined space.


     


    People who own many devices should get rewarded, not penalized. 5 GB is not enough space when you have multiple iOS devices. And no, I am not the least bit interested in paying extra for additional storage, purely out of principle. I don't care if it costs 99 cents per year.



    5 GB. per account is nothing now. Apple should rewards its users with at least 20 GB. per ID. like Google did.

  • Reply 31 of 105
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member






    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post



    What's more interesting to me is the fact Apple is building two more data centres. That's a huge upgrade to their current system and goes far beyond just having redundancy.



    Perhaps to support a streaming service? Or the rumored Apple TV ( which would require a lot of capacity)?


     


    AppleTV / iTV is certainly one reasonable assumption.  My favorite plan though, is Search.  


     


    Yes, general-purpose search.  It takes a ton of resources and time to build up, just like Maps (and we saw how hard that was to pull off a good v1.0).  But can you imagine if it was successful at drawing even 10% of the general search audience?  Google would be shitting their pants, for sure, and it's probably one of the few product areas that would be likely move the needle for AAPL revenues and stature in the investment world.


     


    Here's the thing. Apple is probably the ONLY company in the world that has a chance in the near-to-middle term to do it, and only because they own so much of the mobile space right now.  It's totally ripe, and I think they are probably working on it, but don't want to come out with a half-assed v1.0 like they did with Maps.  It wouldn't surprise me if Maps was a small step in this vague direction to test the waters. I'm crossing my fingers on this, even though it may not happen soon.

  • Reply 32 of 105
    How do you know this goes beyond redundancy?
    Common sense. They already have redundancy in their Maiden data centre. The only thing they aren't protected against in Maiden would be a natural disaster that disables the entire centre (unlikely as that is). You don't need two extra data centres for redundancy. You don't even need one. Apple is building additional capacity, and it's unlikely it's just for new customers.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member






    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Seven years after locating its Braeburn Capital asset management subsidiary in Reno, Nevada (largely for tax purposes) and with the sudden disappearance of Braeburn, Apple is planning on maintaining the same footprint in the area for reasons beyond favorable tax rates.


    Fixed!


    image

  • Reply 34 of 105
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Very Groom Lake-ish . . . 


    :smokey:
    You beat me to it.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    blah64 wrote: »
    My favorite plan though, is Search.  
    Apple is still a couple of orders of magnitude out relative to Google’s data centers, but they could do more on Siri's search capabilities.

    As a stockholder, I am glad they are taking a more measured approach to growth. Hopefully they are learning some lessons and moving away from the more Oracle/Aszure based solutions into something more home-grown Hadoop based that will scale more effectively. Same goes for power system architecture; you can't compete with Google if you are building traditional 2(N+1) data centers. Mke it maintainable and fail over to another site in a major incident.

    I hear rumors Apple is taking up a fair bit of collocation space as well, not sure what kind of durations though.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) Using your scenario every time a new iDevice UDID pops in iTunes you want to get additional storage on iCloud so that means iTunes is then sending that data to iCloud to be logged as a new device. Since we're only talking about simple identification as HW it would be difficult to spoof many fake WiFI or USB connected devices that don't exist. So should these people get additional storage or do you no longer care about potential thieves because you want something?

    This is silly. All Apple has to do is - every time you register a new device with iOS, they add 5 GB to your account. If you remove the device from your account and register it somewhere else, you lose the 5 GB.

    It doesn't involve any magical complexity except for Apple checking the ID when you register - which they're doing already. If someone manages to spoof an ID, they would get 5 GB under the current system (assuming they created a unique iCloud account) or 5 GB under the proposed system, so it wouldn't cost Apple any more - if it even happened at all. I don't know of any way to spoof that, anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    5 GB. per account is nothing now. Apple should rewards its users with at least 20 GB. per ID. like Google did.

    There's a difference. Google makes money off your account by harvesting your data. Apple does not.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,342member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    There's a difference. Google makes money off your account by harvesting your data. Apple does not.


    Much better. . .


     


    But do you really know whether Apple makes any revenue from harvesting their user data too? It seems likely they do. Otherwise how would they deliver targeted iAds? As long as it's on a smaller scale than Google is that enough to make it acceptable to you that Apple might make money from "selling you" too?

  • Reply 39 of 105
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



    There's a difference. Google makes money off your account by harvesting your data. Apple does not.


     


    Proof?  


     


    The Verge had an interesting article comparing the privacy policies of various cloud drive providers.


     


    Both Google and Apple's policies are remarkably similar, with one major exception.  Apple states that it can remove any content it finds "objectionable".  As the Verge put it:


     


    "That's the harshest line yet — Apple says it can scan and delete any data it wants at any time if that data is "objectionable," without strictly defining what "objectionable" actually means. That's probably not going to be an issue for the vast majority of iCloud users, but it's something to think about if you're putting anything sensitive or on the fringe into your iCloud account."


     


    We already know they scan emails, from the recent brouhaha over the "barely legal" stuff.


     


    If a cloud drive provider is going to scan my stuff, I'd rather they use it for anonymous trend collection, rather than to make moral judgements on me.

  • Reply 40 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    This is silly. All Apple has to do is - every time you register a new device with iOS, they add 5 GB to your account. If you remove the device from your account and register it somewhere else, you lose the 5 GB.

    It doesn't involve any magical complexity except for Apple checking the ID when you register - which they're doing already. If someone manages to spoof an ID, they would get 5 GB under the current system (assuming they created a unique iCloud account) or 5 GB under the proposed system, so it wouldn't cost Apple any more - if it even happened at all. I don't know of any way to spoof that, anyway.

    Let's examine your scenario…

    So I have an extra 5GB and I'm using that for backups and iCloud app data. It gets unregistered as a user decides to wipe a device that isn't functioning properly (or whatever) but when he builds his system back up a different iCloud ID gets registered first. In your scenario that 5GB gets removed from the account and data utilized on that 5GB gets kicked off as part of your "you lose the 5GB" comment.

    But which data? What if the user didn't mean to register that particular iCloud account for the extra data? What if that data are saved documents for various apps?

    The very fact that you haven't thought about any circumstances that could lead to a loss of user data and how to resolve them is proof that you haven't thought it through. As I previously stated, these aren't unsurmountable issues, but they are issues and expecting Apple to do what you say without any other consideration is just setting them up for failure.

    ...

    Remember when Apple launched MobileMe? 1) They launched at the same time as the Phone 3G. 2) They launched it at the same time as iOS nee iPhone OS 2.0. 3) They made it a 30-day trial that anyone could sign up for without a CC. All these things led to what should have been an impressive display of visually appealing but untested (on the large scale) system.

    The service slowed to a crawl for the first weekend, Apple had to scramble which undoubtedly cost more money than with careful planning, and they lost credibility which is why a few laters we got a rebranding called iCloud. It's not easy to save a a tainted brand.

    If they planned better (like opening up to .Mac users first) and/or not pimping it with every sale in the Apple Store as a service to try for free (which includes requiring a CC on file in case you want to keep it), and/or doing what Google did with Gmail and making it invitation-only (which you can scale as your system allows) we'd probably still be using the MobileMe name today.
Sign In or Register to comment.