First Look: Apple's iCloud data center site in Reno, Nevada

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Hacks on Dropbox? I store my 1Password file on there as per the app. That file is encrypted but I also use a very, very, very long password for Dropbox just to be safe.

On this, I'm ticked off that iCloud has an UPPER password length limit. What's up with that? I can't use the entirety of my usual password there. Though I'm happy I got in on the beta before they changed their password requirements. I'm not forced to use a capital and a number! So I'll stick with what I have for a good while.

• Reply 102 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    On this, I'm ticked off that iCloud has an UPPER password length limit. What's up with that? I can't use the entirety of my usual password there. Though I'm happy I got in on the beta before they changed their password requirements. I'm not forced to use a capital and a number! So I'll stick with what I have for a good while.

I seem to recall that being an issue for me. My 1Password password generator is set at 31 characters. They list all these requirements but not an upper limit to the length. I'm certain it doesn't affect most people but I do wish it were at least stated.

• Reply 103 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Hacks on Dropbox? I store my 1Password file on there as per the app. That file is encrypted but I also use a very, very, very long password for Dropbox just to be safe.

July 2011 " Dropbox sheepishly admitted that it had inadvertently published code on its web site that allowed anyone to sign in to any Dropbox account without credentials"

http://www.zdnet.com/dropbox-gets-hacked-again-7000001928/

Dropbox confirms it got hacked, will offer two-factor authentication. Source

And more stuff like that, though it's not all 'compromised personal data'.
  • Reply 104 of 105
    Do you think they could find a place which didn't spray chemtrails all over the fuckin place????
  • Reply 105 of 105
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    As annoyed as I am by your lack of comprehension but I'll through you another bone as two more scenarios:

1) A user buys a new iPad. They plug it into their Mac and it restores from a backup. They have 3 iCloud accounts. How does iCloud automatically know which one gets the extra 5GB? According to you this is easy and it's when you register the device. So which is it? At the very least there would have to be an option in iOS that would let you choose which one of multiple accounts you get to apply the one time 5GB? How is that as simple as increasing capacity on the back end?

2a) A user applies it to one iCloud account but soon after realizes they applied it to the wrong one. With your design there is absolutely no recourse for switching the allotment but they really don't want that data applied to the iCloud account they use for junk mail or an address they no long want to use (for whatever reason). There only recourse is to return their new device to the Apple within the 2 week period — remember there is no restocking fee — so they do this again.

2b) A user needs more space for iCloud and doesn't want to wait for a year or two to buy more Apple gear so he gets this idea after reading a post by SolipsismX on AppleInsider on the downfalls of jragosta's enacted system that you can buy a new device "register" it, return it for a full refund, and keep the data, so he buys as many of the cheapest iPod Touches he can afford to get the extra space then returns all these opened and "registered" devices that 1) can no longer sold as new, 2) won't get anyone who buys them as refurbished the extra 5GB, and 3) are now costing Apple money on giving away storage, shipping products for the purpose of giving away storage, waisting their employee's time, and affecting their refurb sales where it's now a hit or miss in this extra 5GB of storage from iCloud when you "register" the device.

Of course, this is where you can say this won't happen often, or that it's not a big deal, or that Apple can reset those refurbished devices, or that if you return a device you lose anything you gained from that "register" but that's all additional effort, additional steps, additional consideration that need to be planned for, detailed, thought out, and worked out before your simple plan can be made a reality.

So how is all that as easy as giving everyone more space which mostly needs to get with the datacenter staff to make sure they have the ability to support any extra capacity needs that might arise (which at this point is pretty doubtful considering how limited iCloud is without a Dropbox-like system for sharing files)?

It is very easy to see who has actually given serious thought to or implemented data centers for a large and diverse customer install base.