New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

NFC Spychips in iPhone, NO THANKS!!!! Guess it is time to stop buying iPhone!

See the book http://spychips.org

Watch the documentary movie:

http://freedomtofascism.com

What's next, Al Gore the scammer will try to impose RFID linked carbon taxation to everyone, due to the global warming farce?! Time to break free of these snake oil salesmen.

Everyone knows you just wear a tinfoil hat and you're good to go... Jeez, don't make it complicated.

• Reply 42 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Finally someone with an ounce of sense speaks up! My wife has a GNex, and I've turned off the NFC on that phone, and if it ever comes to iPhone, that's the FIRST function I disable!

Why?  There's nothing to be afraid of.

My married kids in Florida love NFC.  They use it constantly at gas stations, 7-11 type stores, fast food places, Home Depot, pharmacy, etc.

My son-in-law and I use it to exchange photos, websites, videos, addresses, contacts when we're sitting next to each other.

He also uses NFC tags to instantly change his phone setup between car and home and office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, my comment about "insecure" is just based on me reading lots of articles that say that it NFC is inherently insecure, easy to hack etc. I don't have any references but I'm sure they are easy to find.  

Sigh.  Not your fault, but this is a prime example of the negative power of the Internet.  People with agendas post misleading articles that get repeated and often grow with the telling.  Apple sites especially are full of misinformation about NFC, usually because they're anti-anything that Apple doesn't have.

NFC is just another wireless method like Bluetooth or WiFi.  What counts is what goes over it.  That is where people confuse simple NFC based data exchanges with NFC based payments.

NFC payments are encrypted and are safe.   NFC data exchanges are helpful things that users do between themselves.  (See my example above.)

The one supposed instance of "NFC hacking" was simply some publicity hound pointing out that, if you have NFC _and_ NFC data exchange turned on, then someone could hold their phone next to yours and transfer a website URL.  As if you wouldn't notice that.  Anyway, your phone would then open that website.  At that point, you are supposed to be brain dead and not wonder why a strange website is there, so you click some enticing button on it and are presented with the option to download an app.  Of course, you have to also have "Allow installation from unknown sources" turned on.  Then you have to say yes to installation amid all the access warnings.  That's not really NFC hacking.  It's just social engineering that can also be done on any phone via SMS or email.

• Reply 43 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Everyone knows you just wear a tinfoil hat and you're good to go... Jeez, don't make it complicated.

That's what the Reynold's people want you to think¡
  • Reply 44 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Cotton Tenney View Post

And a nice Ive'd OS 7...

I think the worst thing to happen to iOS would be a "cleansing" on the order of Windows (Phone 7)/8. I certainly hope that Jony keeps skeuomorphism around, because that's the point.

His hardware and that software are WHY they work so well together. The hardware gets out of the way of everything. The person shouldn't even know what they're using exists. There should be no barrier between the hardware and the interaction. That allows the software to be… anything. and everything. Exactly what the user needs in whatever situation. And then by making the software relate to a physical thing, a pre-technological equivalent, anyone can pick it up and use it.

• Reply 45 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

We all know that anyone can make the hardware. Android proves that time and time again. What they can't do is the software to support it.

NFC chip: check.

Infrastructure to really make NFC payments take off: Umm.

Apple will kill on the software/retailer side. They will give away a small NFC xmitter, which looks like a very small Apple TV, to all retailers. It will connect to the iTunes ecosystem. They will partner with Starbucks and Target to make it take off, but nearly all other retailers will jump onboard.

Such a device needs to be connected to a bank. And what bank has enough money...? Well, the First National Bank of Apple, of course, it has billions! Furthermore, Apple has those billions scattered around the world, so, in effect, it's a WORLD bank. 

• Reply 46 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Sensors like the Authentec version, use capacitance to measure the skin ridges in your fingerprint, similar to the way touchscreens work, but far more sensitive.  This not only makes it extra difficult to fool, but probably requires a live human, so cutting off a finger won't help a thief.  Of course, that fact would need to be heavily advertised !

I want to see THAT Apple Ad!!!! 

• Reply 47 of 70

Quote:

What's next, Al Gore the scammer will try to impose RFID linked carbon taxation to everyone, due to the global warming farce?! Time to break free of these snake oil salesmen.

Does your phone get better reception with a tin foil hat? If we want conspiracy theories we'll go to one of their forum websites. We don't need you spamming technology sites. TS, can you moderate this guy?

• Reply 48 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »
    Sensors like the Authentec version, use capacitance to measure the skin ridges in your fingerprint […] but probably requires a live human, so cutting off a finger won't help a thief.

I don't see how a dismembered finger will suddenly have no ridges. If we're talking about one that has been cut and dried for an extended period, sure, we usually see these biometric dismembering in film happen very close to its usage.

But even if, say, in 20 years from now someone hid something in an Authentec biometric vault but they've been dead for years you can rehydrate tissue. Does their method measure the precise rigid height (which could take a lot of processing and time) or simply use that extra metric as a way to determine if the print is a three-dimensional object as opposed to just a scan of a print to get past the easily fooled, standard fingerprint readers?
  • Reply 49 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Does your phone get better reception with a tin foil hat? If we want conspiracy theories we'll go to one of their forum websites. We don't need you spamming technology sites. TS, can you moderate this guy?

Yeah, normally I would have dropped the political stuff at the end, but it's so entrenched as nonsense now that it seems okay. The thread didn't explode into politics as a result of it, at least.

• Reply 50 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see how a dismembered finger will suddenly have no ridges. If we're talking about one that has been cut and dried for an extended period, sure, we usually see these biometric dismembering in film happen very close to its usage.

Good question.

You might recall that I once explained that capacitive touchscreens work because of the blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin.  They're conductive and take a charge, which is sensed as a change in capacitance.

Likewise, AuthenTec uses very precise active capacitance sensors, which measure the ridges and valleys as dead spots and live spots, because the ridges are biologically dead skin acting like a dielectric, and the valleys are closer to live dermis acting as a conductor.  

The measurements must match known values for dead and live cells, and perhaps even overall capacitance of the body attached, to be valid.  Thus a dead, detached finger will not be accepted.

Edit: After writing this, I found that AI had done an article on the sensors back when Apple got involved.  See here.

• Reply 51 of 70
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

A non mechanical home button.  Thats the only way I see there being any kind of sensor to scan finger prints.  Dragging a finger across the home button leaves for residue between the button and the main glass that can build up and may cause issues.

You dont drag your finger across the authentec sensor.  The sensor would be fused into the button glass face much like the capacitive touch screens that apple is now using to allow the iPhone 5 to be so thin. There is no air gap between the capacitive layer on an iPhone 5 and the lcd and the glass.  There even using that tech on the retina macbook pros to get the screens so thin and the iMacs too.

From an  AI article about the sensor tech that apple bought:

Quote:

While just 13.3mm wide by 3mm high and a scant 1.30 mm thick, the company's first Smart Sensor, announced in May just as Apple began its frantic efforts to buy the firm, packs a 500 pixel per inch, 192x8 pixel detection matrix and all the necessary finger print matching technology and security encryption to serve as a fully self contained finger recognizer.

AuthenTec notes that its "semiconductor-based sensors are based on both capacitive and radio frequency (RF) technology that detects an image of the fingerprint ridge and valley pattern beneath the surface of the skin, thus capturing sharp and clear fingerprint patterns from the live layer. This approach, which is in marked contrast with optical, thermal and other solutions that simply read the surface of the skin, gives AuthenTec sensors significant advantages in image quality and in the protective coatings that the sensor can image through."

Additionally, AuthenTec has developed "anti-spoofing technology" that "dynamically measures the properties of finger skin placed on the sensor while the finger is being scanned. This patented technology ensures that only real fingerprints are read by converting the properties of the skin into digital data which are delivered to the host computer for analysis. AuthenTec anti-spoofing technology then compares the data with expected properties to ensure fingerprint authentication."

The company notes that "because of the approach, anyone who attempts to swipe the finger of a dead person in order to access important physical or logical data would fail."

A few things we learn:

1. The sensor is small enough and thin enough that it  can be incorporated in the button and is fully self contained no other support needed.

2. Because of using both Capacitive and Radio Frequencies it can scan through a protective cover easily unlike other sensors on the market. (No swiping needed like a thermal sensor).

3. Because the Radio Frequencies can read below the surface skin layer and identify properties of living tissue or skin it cant be "spoofed" by using a dead finger or thumb.  (This is kinda creepy but im sure enough of us have seen movies of peoples fingers being cut off and used on a scanner). 

I can see this happening easily, wether or not it will is another story, I guess we will have to wait to see when the 5s comes out.

• Reply 52 of 70
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotton Tenney View Post

And a nice Ive'd OS 7...

Nope. Don't expect big changes.

• Reply 53 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »
    The measurements must match known values for dead and live cells, and perhaps even overall capacitance of the body attached, to be valid.  Thus a dead, detached finger will not be accepted.

I thought I was more clear in my previous post. What defines a match. It can't be exact but instead has to fall within a range. What is that range and are the levels able to be duplicated well enough to be bypassed? That's always been the issue with the biometrics. Even DNA tests can be faked (assuming a recent episode of Elementary is accurate). And what if you cut or burn your finger? Are you then locked out? What if you're finger is cold and therefore doesn't have the proper nerve endings as before? You can't go by a marketing sheet to determine that there are no downfalls to a given technology, especially when it comes to biometrics.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What about the sensor behind the glass face of the Home Button so that it's a physical button that has a digital sensor in it?

I wouldn't want the sensor under/built into the button. Pushing on it all the time may damage it. Maybe it could be in the bottom right or left beside the home button and be buried under the glass. It wouldn't show, just like the sensor above the speaker and camera on the front. Nice and clean and simple.

And NFC can still be used to hack into people's sensitive data. In the article below, hackers got into a Galaxy S3 (yes I understand its Samsung, and Android, however it holds valid until Apple does it, if they do). Having a constant "radiating" or "leaking" of your personal data is potential for others to get hold of it.
    http://www.techworld.com.au/article/436860/galaxy_s3_hacked_via_nfc_mobile_pwn2own_competition/
  • Reply 55 of 70
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Seriously, if somebody walks up to me with those [google] glasses on and starts to ask me a question, I would have to consider punching them in their face, as I value my privacy and I refuse to be recorded.

I always wonder when people say they value their privacy if they really, truly do, or if they've just found one particular thing that annoys them.

Do you use Facebook?  How about Google?  I mean any of their services, search, gmail, anything.  Do you use filtering software (like various ad-blockers or Little Snitch) to block the all the google ads and analytics on probably 80% of sites?

Do you use Survellance Cards (whoops, I mean credit/debit cards) for day-to-day purchases?  Every transaction is captured, stored, analyzed and directly attached to you, personally, forever.  How about grocery "loyalty cards"? (what a bullshit name!)

I could go on, but I'm honestly curious if you value your privacy, or just don't want individual citizens recording video of you.  Remember, you're on camera many times whenever you go out in public, shopping, etc.

• Reply 56 of 70
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member

Quote:

Well , while you should be concerned with being tracked.... your paranoia is misplaced. RFID is the least of your worries. Your CCard and loyalty accounts are the biggest offenders. Having Google or Apple track your movements is a drop in the ocean compared to what the banks and government have on you.

Every time you go to the store and buy whatever one does your purchase and CCard details are recorded. This information is easily accessible by the powers that be.

The government says we need cameras and strict laws to keep the terrorists and immigrants at bay and everyone agrees. In fact you are the terrorist the gov. wants to keep track of. You people gave your freedom up ages ago and you only waking up now. So keep buying shit and racking up credit because soon as you stop spending ... you become a financial terrorist!

If you want to make a difference vote with your wallet because that is the only voice you have.

As for RFID tag... the kids may as well get used to them ... I have had one ever since I joined the corporate world.

• Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't fingerprint sensors be fooled by using a latex glove?

According to the Mythbusters, yes. :)

And the only good NFC, is disabled NFC.
  • Reply 58 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

And NFC can still be used to hack into people's sensitive data. In the article below, hackers got into a Galaxy S3 (yes I understand its Samsung, and Android, however it holds valid until Apple does it, if they do). Having a constant "radiating" or "leaking" of your personal data is potential for others to get hold of it.

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/436860/galaxy_s3_hacked_via_nfc_mobile_pwn2own_competition/

Grrrr.   Out, damned spot!   

I just finished explaining in post #43 above this, that nobody has hacked NFC, and definitely nobody has hacked NFC payments.

The exploit in that article was aimed at a document viewer application, not NFC.  Sending the document via SMS or email would've also worked.  As they put it, "We used the NFC method for showmanship,"

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

According to the Mythbusters, yes. :)

Apparently Mythbusters was testing against an optical fingerprint sensor, which are very easy to fool.

• Reply 59 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A recently severed finger could likely be used. The tissue in the finger doesn't die immediately, as is evidenced by the ability to surgically reattach severed fingers and even limbs. 

• Reply 60 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Good question.

You might recall that I once explained that capacitive touchscreens work because of the blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin.  They're conductive and take a charge, which is sensed as a change in capacitance. ...

This is nonsense. You can use a frozen sausage link on a capacitive touchscreen, and that, nor none of the styluses available have, "blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin."

This is why your claims re your background have no credibility: you repeatedly demonstrate that you have no idea what you are talking about.