New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    A recently severed finger could likely be used. The tissue in the finger doesn't die immediately, as is evidenced by the ability to surgically reattach severed fingers and even limbs. 

Another good point.

I'm all for the additional level of authentication that Authentec is offering but not for this unrealistic level of reverence we're giving to just another stage in biometric evolution.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is nonsense. You can use a frozen sausage link on a capacitive touchscreen, and that, nor none of the styluses available have, "blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin."

We're talking specifically about fingers and their electrical characteristics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm all for the additional level of authentication that Authentec is offering but not for this unrealistic level of reverence we're giving to just another stage in biometric evolution.

Good point.  Fingerprint recognition is not totally secure by itself.  Most advise also using a PIN.

In this case, it's more about convenience, rather than securing top secrets.

One worry is that false rejections would turn users off from the sensor pretty quickly, and then they'd have to fall back on a PIN anyway.

• Reply 63 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »
    Good point.  Fingerprint recognition is not totally secure by itself.  Most advise also using a PIN.

In this case, it's more about convenience, rather than securing top secrets.

The bigger worry is that false rejections would turn users off from the sensor pretty quickly, and then they'd have to fall back on a PIN anyway.

I certainly won't rely on it for security. I'd rather just use my PIN. There are only 10,000 possibilities but after 10 tries my phone will erase itself. I bet you can try as many fingerprint scans as you wish. Also, how quickly can you input your PIN compared to how quickly it will be to place your finger on the scanner without moving it and have it read all the necessary data and determine if it's a match or not? Is this really a time saver?

For myself, I'd much rather see fingerprint verification be used for an unsecured function. For example, you pick up your Apple HDTV's remote control and it will auto-adjust the UI, the services, favorites, saved content, etc. for whomever last held the remote control. To me this takes away the deficient security of biometrics and add a real value that has eluded how we watch television conveniently for decades.

We have personalized desktops for a family "PC" but we still use the exact same, shared setup for our HEC content. Of course, it would be a pain to use a standard remote control to get into some settings area to switch users every time a different person wants to control the TV so this customization has been blocked by a lack of convenience. This is what my biometric solution paired wth a BT (nor IR) remote control would achieve.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

I certainly won't rely on it for security. I'd rather just use my PIN. 

There are certainly known ways to make fingerprint recognition more secure, such as adding a heat sensor, watching for a heartbeat, and even scanning underneath for veins, but nothing is perfect.

A common thief isn't going to spend time creating a wonderfully fake finger with all those characteristics, and a more sophisticated intruder (such as a government) would just bypass the whole thing and grab data straight from frozen RAM or something.

So it's probably good enough for common use, but I, like you, prefer a dependable PIN.

Quote:

For myself, I'd much rather see fingerprint verification be used for an unsecured function. For example, you pick up your Apple HDTV's remote control and it will auto-adjust the UI, the services, favorites, saved content, etc. for whomever last held the remote control. To me this takes away the deficient security of biometrics and add a real value that has eluded how we watch television conveniently for decades.

I think that's a great idea, using the sensor for other, non-secure purposes.

Reminds me of that 2007 WinMo phone with a fingerprint sensor. You could assign different apps or settings to be launched by different fingers.

• Reply 65 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

OMG, every time I read "rumour" in the article / title I want to scream, every time I read "

analyst" in the article I want to find so-called scumbag analyst and beat the crap out of him!

These people are paid ridiculous sums of money to talk out of their asses, makes me sick.

Are you not posting on the wrong type of forum. Its not even like these are anti-Apple rumors.

• Reply 66 of 70
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Even if it had a flux capacitor they would still find ways to spin it negatively.

Such as: "This will be obsolete in 2015 when they release 'Mr. Fusion' technology that runs on trash and beer."

God I love that movie.

• Reply 67 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

We're talking specifically about fingers and their electrical characteristics.

We are, but you weren't in that instance, you were simply BSing about the requirements for a capacitive touchscreen to work:

Quote:

You might recall that I once explained that capacitive touchscreens work because of the blood in the capillaries and live tissue under the skin. [emphasis mine]

I understand you wanting to weasel your way out of being dead wrong, but you were talking complete nonsense, making stuff up as you go along, as you usually do.

• Reply 68 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Another good point.

Well, on the other hand (no pun intended), if someone has your phone and your finger, whether they can break into it with said finger is probably the least of your worries.

• Reply 69 of 70
    Here is the leaked Galaxy s4 leaked video with audio of Sir Jonathan Ive audio of iPhone5.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-featured-in-hands-on-video-341530?pfrom=home-editorpick
    have fun guys :)
  • Reply 70 of 70
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Well, on the other hand (no pun intended), if someone has your phone and your finger, whether they can break into it with said finger is probably the least of your worries.

That's the thing, I don't want to use any biometrics that can be harvested from my body.

PS: That scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise puts his removed eye up to the scanner to let himself into his old office bothers me because the first thing you do is cut all access.