Citing supply chain checks, Jefferies cuts Apple price target to $420

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Channel sales. How many of those go into and stay in the hands of a consumer. Who knows but it might not be as good as Samsung wants us to think 

I saw this in the Things Apple Fans Say video...

• Reply 62 of 159
    I think it's important to understand that Wall Street makes money when a stock moves; up or down, as long as the stock is moving. %u2014 The Algorithmic trading can make a determination to buy or sell faster than anybody can blink. Therefor, maximum profit is achieved through maximum fluctuations. Enjoy the ride!
  • Reply 63 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Earnings last fiscal 2Q = 12.54/share; earnings this year same quarter, likely less than $10.  That is my definition of shrink, an earnings drop of 20%.  Annual earnings at best flat, more likely ~5% below last year.  "Shrink" - when something decreases, like Apple's earnings per share are.

OK yes, that's "shrink"… except, you just made all that up. So far, I haven't seen shrink. Have you?

Even if Apple "misses its guidance" it still isn't necessarily shrink, because their guidance already far exceeds last year's… they can miss it and still show growth.

You are buying into the unsubstantiated narrative of gloom, speaking as if it has already happened or is imminent (and it has been imminent pretty much continuously for the past two years, the largest period of growth for Apple, or any other tech company in history for that matter)...

I suppose at some point in the future, Apple will eventually decline. Perhaps there is some inevitability to that, for any company. SO keep trotting out that meme, it will eventually come true.. but I wouldn't base my holding position based on any of it… in my view the company is doing fine. It's the stock manipulations that are doing the most damage...

• Reply 64 of 159
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So you're ignoring the two most recent YoY results and replacing actual data with projected data that you either pulled from your own ass or from one or more analysts like some grotesque Russian nesting doll of made up shit. Brilliant¡

2) Even by Bloomberg estimates Apple is increasing their revenue by a larger value and percentage than Samsung which still makes your original comment BS, even ignoring that these estimates still put Samsung $16 billion less than they made back in 2011. At least try to polish the turd you are presenting.

Do you understand finance?  Shareholders don't get a piece of the revenue, they get a piece of the net income.  Maybe Apple's revenue is growing faster, but because they are selling more lower margin products, the bottom line doesn't grow on a higher revenue.  Really simple stuff.

Samsung made US$15.5 billion in net income last year and are forecasted to make US$29.3 billion this year.  Their net income growth of nearly 100% is higher because their margins are expected to be higher as they take a larger share of the high-end, high-margin smartphone business.

I'm sorry to inform you the market could care less about the past and while I could give you my own detailed Apple numbers, I don't want to spend the time building  a Samsung model.

• Reply 65 of 159

Also take into account that Samsung is growing and creating new phones based off original designs by Apple. They are not creating new design concepts or new product segments like Apple did. So what happens when Samsung runs out of ideas? Can't improve displays, increase core count, or have an OS that stays in the lead? What happens when Samsung reaches the end of being able to copy Apple's innovations? Apple will again have to school everyone on what is next (or is that NeXT lol) 

Samsung can't think for itself and therefore will hit the wall. Samsung also relies on other companies to innovate. Such as the OS and the ARM, while Apple not only innovates within these spaces, as well as other hardware, but they tune them to work very efficient together.  

Samsung might be sprinting ahead right now, but this is not a short race and Apple has longer legs. 

• Reply 66 of 159
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

are these guys ever right?

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day (unless it's a 24-hour clock, of course).

• Reply 67 of 159
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

OK yes, that's "shrink"… except, you just made all that up. So far, I haven't seen shrink. Have you?

Even if Apple "misses its guidance" it still isn't necessarily shrink, because their guidance already far exceeds last year's… they can miss it and still show growth.

You are buying into the unsubstantiated narrative of gloom, speaking as if it has already happened or is imminent (and it has been imminent pretty much continuously for the past two years, the largest period of growth for Apple, or any other tech company in history for that matter)...

I suppose at some point in the future, Apple will eventually decline. Perhaps there is some inevitability to that, for any company. SO keep trotting out that meme, it will eventually come true.. but I wouldn't base my holding position based on any of it… in my view the company is doing fine. It's the stock manipulations that are doing the most damage...

They guided revenue higher and didn't give eps guidance, but gave all the components needed to calculate, which points to less than $10.  You are talking revenue growth, I am talking earnings growth.  EPS growth, not revenue growth will drive stock.  Based on mgmt forecasts, revenue will be +7.2% y/y, while nominal amount of gross profit will be down 14% y/y, which is due to gross margins dropping from 47.4% to 38% (midpoint of guidance).  Net income drops from $11.6 billion to approx. $9.5 billion using mgmt forecasts.  Recall that they changed the way they give guidance and said they are no longer lowballing and expect to actually hit these numbers.

• Reply 68 of 159

Samsung isn't creating anything. Samsung sells on hype. Their users show that, benchmarks show that, reason shows that.

People keep vomiting that Apple must innovate because others are innovating and catching up so Apple will die. For me, all of the people that say that are absolute delusional.

No OEM is innovating 1/10th of what Apple is doing. 0 innovation, nada. Bigger screen (soon that will end, even if people keep buying those models, screens can't grow forever) and that's it.

Why does Apple need innovate to survive? Show evidence. 13 billion and rising isn't enough? What if it was "only" 6 billion? isn't that enough?

Then trolls will be saying how fast others are catching up. Meanwhile, what am I seeing? HTC close to death, sony on red, HP on red and thinking about stop selling PCs, Dell going private and on a crisis, Motorola on read, Samsung saturating markets (soon that will end too, markets will saturate), Apple selling more and more and making more and more money.

Then, even if someone comes past us on a rocket and puts everyone on the dust, Apple is the only one with 150 billions ready for action, amazing flexible supply chain and they can turn on their xerox printers too!

Being a troll can be funny, but being stupid can't.

Analysts are the ones that set stock value. Apple can earn 3 times more, but the stock will go nowhere. So what? It's a game for irrational people, Apple has nothing to do with that... They will go private, i hope.

Apple is safe, it's the safest company on earth right now, everyone else is on decline, everyone else has no way to do. HP, Dell, toshiba, Sony, HTC, etc have no way to go but down, Google has no way to go up (ads and that's it)... Meanwhile Apple is the most profitable company on earth, growing sales, and with less than 10% on all markets, but growing and the only ones innovating/creating new segments.

6 years from iPod to iPhone. 3 to the next step. We are on track.

• Reply 69 of 159
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I bet that if Apple simply uses the name iPhone 6 instead of iPhone 5S that would create enough buzz to shut the naysayers up. Rightly or wrongly people perceive the S versions as a slight tweak instead of an entirely new phone. It just doesn't seem to get people as excited as a whole number change. It can still be the exact same phone they are planning to release, just change the name and that will make most people happy. Perception is reality after all.

That is of course assuming that the planned 5S is the only model that they will release later this year. If they were to also release a cheaper version and/or a larger screen version that would create a lot of excitement again in Apple.

Stock prices are rarely about fundamentals or even profits. They are about possibilities and predictions and ultimately about hype and buzz. Even Apple commercials recently seem a bit lacking. To channel Jerry Seinfeld for a minute, what's the deal with those new iPad commercials showing the words with the annoying background music? AT the very least Apple needs to spend some of that horde of cash of a new ad campaign for their iOS and OS X product lines and bring back a bit of the cool factor they seem to have lost in advertising.

I hope Apple has a few surprises in store this year because I just don't think a 4" iPhone 5S and new iPads will stop the stock decline. One bright spot though may be an iPhone for China Mobile, DoCoMo in Japan, T-Mobile, and possibly a few more large carriers overseas.

I agree with the gist of what you are saying. Apple has the problem of not being able to live up to the hype in the long run. Unless they release products that cure cancer or world hunger they are perceived as having failed. Some of this hype they create themselves and some of it is unrealistic expectations based on prior success. 

• Reply 70 of 159
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Then why are Samsung's sales growing.

They selling cheap phones to people who would normally by a feature phone and will never use it as a smartphone, and those who will suffer anything to not support Apple. Who else would buy a smartphone that its not even safe to buy apps from the primary store.  

• Reply 71 of 159
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Apple is stumbling on recent product launches. Nothing lasts forever.

And which product launches would you be referring to...?

You must mean the iPad mini.

I mean, the iPhone 5.

I mean, the new iPad.

There's just so many stumbles to pick from.

• Reply 73 of 159
    Apple absolutely has a problem. That is, Tim Cook is a finance guy. Apple's big idea guy, the direction guy, the driver, the marketer, the energy guy is dead. Great products need great salesmen and Cook is simply not that guy. Great ideas don't sell themselves.

They have nobody at this time who can light up a room as soon as they come through the door. That is what they need.

There is no one on Apple's team that is pushing Apple and setting direction. The biggest failure of Apple to date is failure to bring such a person into the organization. There should be no reason that the CEO should be the face or idea man for the company, just because Jobs was.

Scott Forstall might have had some such capability, but, obviously, that positive was far outweighed by his weaknesses.

• Reply 74 of 159
    plagen wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are so unhappy with the lowballing "analysts". If you are a long-term investor and have a reason to believe in your company long-term growth shouldn't you be happy with the stock price falling? Just use that as an opportunity to buy.

That is why I am doing . I will use my full salary to buy AAPL . Use action to prove I am right .
  • Reply 75 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Apple absolutely has a problem. That is, Tim Cook is a finance guy. Apple's big idea guy, the direction guy, the driver, the marketer, the energy guy is dead. Great products need great salesmen and Cook is simply not that guy. Great ideas don't sell themselves.

They have nobody at this time who can light up a room as soon as they come through the door. That is what they need.

There is no one on Apple's team that is pushing Apple and setting direction. The biggest failure of Apple to date is failure to bring such a person into the organization. There should be no reason that the CEO should be the face or idea man for the company, just because Jobs was.

Scott Forstall might have had some such capability, but, obviously, that positive was far outweighed by his weaknesses.

Why? because otherwise they will keep making less than 20 billion net profit each quarter and the stock will go down while all others will bleed money or grow 0 but their stock will go up until they close for good(hp, dell, htc, sony, etc see previous post)?

• Reply 76 of 159
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

you forgot Jon Ive...He will design Apple's future

• Reply 77 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Samsung isn't creating anything. Samsung sells on hype. Their users show that, benchmarks show that, reason shows that.

People keep vomiting that Apple must innovate because others are innovating and catching up so Apple will die. For me, all of the people that say that are absolute delusional.

No OEM is innovating 1/10th of what Apple is doing. 0 innovation, nada. Bigger screen (soon that will end, even if people keep buying those models, screens can't grow forever) and that's it.

Why does Apple need innovate to survive? Show evidence. 13 billion and rising isn't enough? What if it was "only" 6 billion? isn't that enough?

Then trolls will be saying how fast others are catching up. Meanwhile, what am I seeing? HTC close to death, sony on red, HP on red and thinking about stop selling PCs, Dell going private and on a crisis, Motorola on read, Samsung saturating markets (soon that will end too, markets will saturate), Apple selling more and more and making more and more money.

Then, even if someone comes past us on a rocket and puts everyone on the dust, Apple is the only one with 150 billions ready for action, amazing flexible supply chain and they can turn on their xerox printers too!

Being a troll can be funny, but being stupid can't.

Analysts are the ones that set stock value. Apple can earn 3 times more, but the stock will go nowhere. So what? It's a game for irrational people, Apple has nothing to do with that... They will go private, i hope.

Apple is safe, it's the safest company on earth right now, everyone else is on decline, everyone else has no way to do. HP, Dell, toshiba, Sony, HTC, etc have no way to go but down, Google has no way to go up (ads and that's it)... Meanwhile Apple is the most profitable company on earth, growing sales, and with less than 10% on all markets, but growing and the only ones innovating/creating new segments.

6 years from iPod to iPhone. 3 to the next step. We are on track.

True, but Apple's success was based on hype that was substantive. Jobs hyped Apple's great products, and pushed Apple to create products that he could hype. 

Hype is not a negative when there is substance behind it. 

• Reply 78 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

That is why I am doing . I will use my full salary to buy AAPL . Use action to prove I am right .

What? What are you saying? Don't be stupid!

Apple can earn 4x their guidance in the next quarter, but if analysts wants, the stock will tank. Why on earth would you put your money on the hands of analysts (not apple)?

• Reply 79 of 159
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    What have I made up?  I express the same concerns directly to the company.  I think the stock is cheap, but though that awhile ago also.

So Apple deserves to be treated differently than every other company in the world by its investors why?  Why should they be allowed to ignore investors when nobody else can.  We are talking about the people that own the company.  Employees/management actually hold very little of their own stock in this company relative to most (recently changed to force them to hold more), but the people who have no vested interest other than their paychecks and stock options should over rule the true owners of the company?  What a bizarre attitude.  Akin to being a restaurant owner who has no say in the business because the chef makes good food.  Doesn't happen in the real world, only in the fantasy land some live in.

Yes, Apple does need, not deserve, to be treated differently from every other company in the world. Unless you see this, you will go on being clueless like the "analysts," thinking that the John Grubers, the Marco Armants, the Horace Dedius and the smart people here are living in a fantasy land.

Apple has always been about tectonic shifts in information technology for the benefit of their users. No other company works this way. They follow Apple and copy and decorate on what Apple has done. This explains their unique secrecy that bothers you so much. It also explains how Apple could drop in valuation in a world-record amount. When people see what Apple is up to the stock goes up to where it should be. When they convince themselves or are manipulated that Apple doesn't know what it's doing (during a quiet period of product releases or during a difficult technology transition), the valuation collapses.

What Apple is doing is epochal. You have to be something of a futurist media ecologist to get it. Would it help if I told you that the stock price is going to go back to $700? Just be patient and study the positives.
  • Reply 80 of 159

Quote:

True, but Apple's success was based on hype that was substantive. Jobs hyped Apple's great products, and pushed Apple to create products that he could hype. 

Hype is not a negative when there is substance behind it.

If you understand a little about technology, you will realize that samsung has nothing of substance. I can tell 5 or 6 phones that are better than the galaxy s3 on every single metric (better phones), especially the iPhone, and Apples beats them on every other product/software.