Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That'd be why they buy Apple products.

Haha, nice one. I was commenting in the context of buying a phablet to replace a phone and tablet though.

• Reply 42 of 86
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    The samsung galaxy s4 might be a nice addition but it's nowhere near as good as the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 will still be smoother, faster, easier to use, and made from premium materials.

Samsung is still playing catch up with the s4.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by iPhoneFiver View Post

Haha, nice one. I was commenting in the context of buying a phablet to replace a phone and tablet though.

I figured it was only fair. One-post user comes onto an Apple site heralding the 'benefits' of the competition—may as well bring it back to reality.

• Reply 44 of 86

Galaxy IV... She's a beaut....

• Reply 45 of 86
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

[...] I am a current iPhone user and Apple might have counted my purchase as an affirmation that I do not want a bigger display and they would be wrong. I prefer iOS over Android but most definitely do not prefer a 4" display over a larger one. 

I'm still using my iP4 because I'm trying to vote with my wallet.

I'm dealing with the same conflict you are. I want a bigger screen, but I don't want to switch from iOS to Android. I haven't yet caved and bought a Samsung, but I haven't bought a new iPhone either. I realize the affect this has on shareholders, but hopefully Apple will eventually knuckle under to the pressure I'm putting on them and we can all get what we want.

I'm clinging to the faint hope that Apple will offer a bigger unit within the next few months, but that hope is quickly fading. Sometime soon I'll have to decide whether to accept the smaller screen to maintain the interoperability I want or give that up to get a bigger screen. Decision, decisions.

• Reply 46 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It seems real laggy. I am therefore going to have to conclude that this is a genuine Android phone.

• Reply 47 of 86
    gusy32gusy32 Posts: 18member
    This surf board with a screen is NOT worthy of a media event.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Ahhh, more fear from the iFaithful. I love it.

As Apple falls further and further behind, I expect the iFans to scream louder and louder about how their phone is "premium"... Even when they slap a cheap 99 cent plastic case on it.

Keep the comments going. Those of us with S3's and Note 2's love laughing at you guys.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Bluetooth and speaker options aside, you are forgetting that more and more people are using these "phones" as computers. Even the kids in the AT&T commercials understand bigger is better.  The screen is now far more important than some imagined embarrassment you may feel about holding it up to your head in public. Are you also afraid to ever use a landline type phone for that same fear? I am a current iPhone user and Apple might have counted my purchase as an affirmation that I do not want a bigger display and they would be wrong. I prefer iOS over Android but most definitely do not prefer a 4" display over a larger one. Now that talking on the phone is becoming far less important a bigger display just is far more appealing. The iPad Mini LTE option is not the answer either. The fact that you even suggest that as an alternative amazes me. There is a huge gap between the two leaving aside the need to still have traditional voice service even if it is used less frequently it is still essential. How would you call 911 on an iPad Mini LTE for example? I can carry a phone like the S3 or S4 in my pocket but cannot carry an iPad Mini as easily. 

Whether I am alone or one of tens of millions of other disgruntled and impatient iPhone owners waiting for that elusive iPhone+ with a display somewhere around 4.5" to 5" I do not know. But I will reluctantly abandon the phone OS I prefer to get the display I need. I will wait and see what Apple has in store this year but if they don't release a larger iPhone than 4" I have to buy a phone that works for me and that most certainly is not another 4" display which annoys me daily at how small things look. I can't buy new eyes but I can buy a new phone. 

We'll see how much that Android malware annoys you. 

• Reply 50 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Probably not at all. I've not seen anything to indicate that any significant percentage of users have encountered malware, at least what you or I would term malware. The security software folks have a pretty broad definition, and for obvious reasons.

• Reply 51 of 86
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    I figured it was only fair. One-post user comes onto an Apple site heralding the 'benefits' of the competition—may as well bring it back to reality.
    You used IT.
    You told me off for the same use of the word.
    I do have an amazing memory
  • Reply 52 of 86
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

The samsung galaxy s4 might be a nice addition but it's nowhere near as good as the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 will still be smoother, faster, easier to use, and made from premium materials.

Kids don't care. Especially outside US, t.i., 93% of the world. They want bigger screen. Phone is their primary internet access point.

• Reply 53 of 86
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Probably not at all. I've not seen anything to indicate that any significant percentage of users have encountered malware, at least what you or I would term malware. The security software folks have a pretty broad definition, and for obvious reasons.
    For someone who thinks he/she is up to date tech news wise, you certainly are not, or are spinning again?
    78% of malware is found on android devices versus 0.17% for iOS.
    So malware is not a problem? Are you serious?
    I see, you have your own definition of malware now!
    You are so easy to catch out, how many times
    is that now?
  • Reply 54 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Kids don't care.[citation needed] Especially outside US, t.i., 93% of the world. They want bigger screen[citation needed]. Phone is their primary internet access point.

*cough*

• Reply 55 of 86
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems real laggy. I am therefore going to have to conclude that this is a genuine Android phone.

No doubt.

If I were absolutely forced to have to use an Android phone, there is no way I'd pick this.  The HTC One is a beautiful phone- and I love the infrared sensor power button. Its really the first one to compete with the aesthetics of the iPhone IMO.  Too bad it runs a garbage OS.

• Reply 56 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    quest01 wrote: »

I'd hold my horses with statements like that. Until some benchmarks start hitting web.

Yeah I do agree it does not look spectacular, in my book at least. A bit too much like S3. I'd expect a bit more from Samsung's top dog.

But then, I wasn't too thrilled with S3 looks and it sold well. Obviously more than enough people will not prioritize look and premium material selection. People that I know using S3 seem to be very happy with it, down to the last one.

Hardware in S4... if leaks are correct... looks, well, interesting. But only if Samsung managed to control heat, battery life and present performance gain obvious in everyday usage, or at least in as many scenarios as possible. If running citadel demo smoothly at 1080 is the only visible advantage of such hardware, then unfortunately it means that Sammy is also running out of new ideas and going for safe performance-boost-for-performance-sake-only approach, which would be unfortunate.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

For someone who thinks he/she is up to date tech news wise, you certainly are not, or are spinning again?

78% of malware is found on android devices versus 0.17% for iOS.

So malware is not a problem? Are you serious?

I see, you have your own definition of malware now!

You are so easy to catch out, how many times

is that now?

Most all of which is on 3rd party app stores used on extremely cheap phones sold in foreign countries that Google bans from Google ecosystem. So yes, he is serious.

Unless you go enable installation of 3rd party apps and ignore the harsh security warning Google spits at you and proceed to download random foreign language apps, Android has the same malware risk as iOS.

• Reply 58 of 86
    Samsung fail 5.0 trying to compete with S3 and S mini, iPhone 5 still is better, huh.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    poksi wrote: »
    Kids don't care. Especially outside US, t.i., 93% of the world. They want bigger screen. Phone is their primary internet access point.

*cough*

Because you are putting citations on every bold statement you make...
  • Reply 60 of 86
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I am not the least bit worried by that. I had an HTC Evo prior to my iPhone and am very comfortable with Android. I still prefer iOS to Android but I far prefer the new jelly Bean Android over the 2.3 Gingerbread I used on the Evo. Malware on Android to me at least seems a pretty big whoop dee doo about nothing. There are many reasons to buy an iPhone over an Android device like better apps, better ecosystem in general, more accessories, and maybe a preference for iOS but that malware boogeyman is not a valid reason in my opinion. 

I do not want to switch to an Android and as I stated before I would do so as a last resort. But ultimately we must all prioritize what elements of a phone we find most valuable in day to day use and for me that is the display size. That is my biggest complaint about my current iPhone. 5 years ago when my eyesight was still perfect it would not have been an issue but for anyone with less than stellar vision you appreciate that bigger and far easier to read display. But aside from that I just like having more on the screen to view and less scrolling.For games, photos, video, pretty much everything looks better to me at least on a bigger display.  I honestly couldn't care less what the phone looks like or if it is made of aluminum. Perhaps I am in the minority but all my phones have been in cases and my next one will as well. 

Apple will have no choice but to eventually make this larger phone. They gambled and lost that the 4" would be enough to silence the critics. At this point it is only a question of when not if. And when they do, I will be first in line and I suspect tens of millions of Android phone owners who had never consider an iPhone due to the small display will also give the iPhone a shot to see what all the fuss was about. Well over half the apps I use most frequently either require landscape mode or work better horizontally. That change alone is a big reason to want a larger display since one handed mode is really only suited for portrait mode. And even in portrait I find myself resting in my left palm while using my right index finger to navigate the GUI or type. Is complete one handed use while viewing the screen really an important issue for the majority of you?  For texts as well it is just so much faster for me to use both thumbs instead of one. I don't expect everyone to hold or use their iPhone in the exact manner I do but I think that is the big disconnect I have with the iPhone since I use it far more in landscape mode. Perhaps with better eyesight and more portrait use in one hand I would be satisfied.