Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just days before its official unveiling at a massively hyped event in New York, a video has emerged online appearing to show off the Galaxy S IV, the new flagship smartphone that Samsung hopes will unseat Apple's iPhone 5 atop the bestseller list.

As the March 14 unveiling of the Galaxy S IV draws nearer, leaks and rumors about the device have proliferated. Hands-on pictures began circulating late last week, and on Tuesday the video above emerged from the same source that first posted hands-on images.

With a video touting the design process for the iPad mini playing in the background, the unnamed videographer shows off the internals of the device, including its removable back cover and battery. The device shown appears to hew largely to the design aesthetic of its predecessor, the Galaxy S III, retaining the plastic casing, but with a finish that attempts to give the premium look of an Apple or HTC device.

The device also appears to have two SIM card clots, suggesting that it could be a Galaxy Duos variant and not the main, single-SIM Galaxy S IV.

Besides a brief look at the camera's burst mode and the phone's dialer, the video shows little else in the way of functions for the purported Galaxy S IV. The user explores a few of what appear to be settings menus, but no demonstration is given of any eye-tracking tech or wireless charging, both of which have been rumored to be included in this year's model.

When it's revealed on Thursday, the Galaxy S IV is expected to feature an eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor and a PowerVR SGX 5443MP3, tri-core GPU. It is also expected to feature a five-inch 1080p display and to run Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean out of the box.

With the Galaxy S III having firmly established Samsung as the top rival to Apple in the smartphone segment, the South Korean conglomerate is hoping to blow past the iPhone maker with the S IV. The new Samsung flagship model has been accompanied by a massive marketing campaign, with teaser videos having run on the Internet for the past week. Samsung will also stream the media event for the S IV launch both on YouTube and live in Times Square.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86

It's still slower than the iPhone UI, still runs apps created for underpowered 3.5 inch 480*600 screens, still has worse build quality, it's still ugly, innovates 0.

• Reply 2 of 86
    the back looks cheap ....
  • Reply 3 of 86
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    That was some serious lag while he was typing "1212" in the phone application. And this is the flagship? lol...
  • Reply 4 of 86

did anyone notice what was playing in the background?  Seriously?

• Reply 5 of 86
    Apple is Still Better then Samsung, Apple iPhone is still #1 :)
  • Reply 6 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by xt500n View Post

the back looks cheap ....

"The back of our phone looks cheaper than the front of theirs!"

• Reply 7 of 86

Quote:

That was some serious lag while he was typing "1212" in the phone application. And this is the flagship? lol...

A lot more lag than the GS2 ans GS3 ever had. If this even is the GS4 hardware, the software was not even close to a release candidate. Most sites seem to think its fake. I'm very surprised AI is picking up a rumored leak of the GS4 like this.

• Reply 8 of 86
    tjrsvtjrsv Posts: 35member

Well, you can't say that Samsung or GOOG beats AAPL to the punch.  SJ & AAPL define innovation if anyone does.

Samsung revealing this phone is not innovation, it's copycat and inferior, Walmart style.  The next move for AAPL is hopefully a China Mobile deal, and some financial engineering/innovation. There is no reason Cook and Co. should have let AAPL fall 40% in share price, but obviously they are interested in a huge buy-back and Buffet is probably directly involved.  An IBM and an AAPL valuing their shareholders the same would create new standards in both Silicon Valley and on Wall St.  May even be unprecedented.

AAPL is a value play AND a growth play...when are they going to re-establish the glitter?  Perhaps SJ schooled his execs how to do this already and he's just up there laughing!  Jeffries puts AAPL at $420? Really?  I say they split 4-1 and go back to $600 shortly thereafter.  As much as I bash Cook, I am sensing they know exactly what their game plan is and exactly how to execute it.

• Reply 9 of 86
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I am about to watch the video. But I have a 32gb iphone 5. I find that it doesn't run as smoothly as the 3G and 4 when I first got them (clearly with newer software, these old models slowed down) but for a brand new phone. I am simply OK with the way the iphone 5 runs. I find it to lag here and there for a short time (nothing that is usually too annoying). I guess it is due to the growing complexity of iOS but its far from the near prefect iOS I once knew. 

I also must add, I usually don't ask much from my phone. I don't play games or anything of that nature. Nonetheless, the iPhone is 95% of the time, near prefect. Just find myself more annoyed with the iPhone 5 "hangups" more than any other iPhone that I have owned. But the overall phone is way better than any Android. I once considered an Android until I actually watched someone use it. I will be staying iPhone for a long time.

When I say hang ups, I do not mean that horrible lag on "1212" lol     Glad I have an iPhone.

• Reply 10 of 86
    ooooh look 'long and narrow'
  • Reply 11 of 86
    If Apple would unveil such a plastic, cheap-ish and unimaginative design, they would be the laughing stock of the community. Now that Samesong does this (essentially still the copied iPhone 3g design) no-one is giving a peep. I mean, look at the thing, anyone with a bit of taste will agree that it is one ugly tablet, ehm, I mean phone... And indeed, I also noticed the lag of the software. But then again, it needs time to send the info you type in to Google, so some lag in Android is probably unavoidable...
  • Reply 12 of 86

There's a few songs.  I think you're after New Order, "Age of Consent."

• Reply 13 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I never realized that the plastic back snaps on and off. I am always really careful with my phones and have never dropped one, but I can imagine if you dropped that phone, the plastic back might pop off. Also, after awhile, removing and reinstalling the battery and the back case, it would be possible that the plastic could eventually become loose and come off very easily. Time for tape and rubber bands.

• Reply 14 of 86

Ugly phone IMO!  Its all on media now, how to bash S4 on every news article and crowd will automatically stay away and stick with great Apple products.

As far as I know rich and growing class people are staying with apple. Class which is being dragged down in such economy prefers Samdung (Korean)! 

Rich and Growing Class buys it all- Mac, iphone, ipad so that they can use whatever screen size they want.

Lagging Class- Buys big screen Samdung (They hope for laptop,tablet,phone-all in one). They may buy one $300 windows laptop or $100-200- Kindle fire/Google.

This is my observation!

• Reply 15 of 86
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It's still slower than the iPhone UI, still runs apps created for underpowered 3.5 inch 480*600 screens, still has worse build quality, it's still ugly, innovates 0.

Looks like it will cannibalize their Note sales.  Why would they come out with a 5 inch screen for their flagship model, when they have the Note product?

I wonder how many they are going to actually sell.

• Reply 16 of 86
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

It looks like the Galaxy Note 2. I'm guessing this is real. 

• Reply 17 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never realized that the plastic back snaps on and off. I am always really careful with my phones and have never dropped one, but I can imagine if you dropped that phone, the plastic back would probably pop off. Also, after awhile, removing and reinstalling the battery and the back, I imagine the plastic case would eventually become loose and come off very easily. Time for tape and rubber bands.

That's because it's a fake. The Samsung backs are very difficult to get on and off - and for good reason. The lag is horrible, there is light bleeding from the screen, it has dual SIMs. It's a Chinese knock off. Maybe the GS4 will look exactly like this but, the video here is not of it.

• Reply 18 of 86
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Or if they can't budge the iPhone 5 they are at least hoping to beat out the year and half old iPhone 4s that outsold the SIII I would expect.

The decline in SIII sales though might indicate otherwise... plus Samsung's own guiodance that smartphones aren't where their future earnings will grow.

• Reply 19 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's because it's a fake. The Samsung backs are very difficult to get on and off - and for good reason. The lag is horrible, there is light bleeding from the screen, it has dual SIMs. It's a Chinese knock off. Maybe the GS4 will look exactly like this but, the video here is not of it.

Wow the Chinese are really good counterfeiters. I wonder why Samsung never copied Apple's battery design. Hasn't it been decided that removable batteries are dangerous?

• Reply 20 of 86
    background voice of the Video is iPhone5 audio from Sir Jonathan Ive, listen again :)