Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Apple has been quietly updating its much maligned iOS Maps app over the past weeks, adding Flyover support for 15 new cities, while updating 3D building rendering, turn-by-turn navigation, points of interest and other tweaks for many others.

As reported by The Loop, Apple is continually updating its mapping service and has recently added a number of new cities that support the company's proprietary 3D Flyover view.

Cologne
Flyover view of Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany.

New cities to offer Flyover support:
  • Modesto, CA
  • Stockton, CA
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Portland, ME
  • Albany, NY
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Providence, RH
  • Green Bay, WI
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Cologne, Germany
  • Glasgow, Scotland
Expanded Flyover coverage in cities with existing support:
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Boston, MA
  • Portland, OR
  • Houston, TX
  • Toronto, ON
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
  • London, England
  • Lyon, France
  • Berlin, Germany
  • Munich, Germany
  • Rome, Italy
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Madrid, Spain
  • Stockholm, Sweden
In addition to the enhanced Flyover support, Apple has extended 3D building renderings for locations that do not yet have access to the feature.

Apple also updated a number of Chinese assets, including a new coloring scheme, Chinese character readability, point of interest tweaks, and road network changes. Other improvements include expanded international points of interest with new iconography and more accurate address data.

It was reported in February that job listings pointed to ongoing development of Apple's mapping platform, with hires including software engineers and, more recently, fact checkers.

The company is working hard to rectify a shaky launch in September 2012 that drew the ire of users around the world, who complained of multiple inaccuracies, poor implementation of the Flyover feature and various usability issues. Compounding the problem was Apple's decision to ditch Google Maps, which powered iOS Maps until iOS 6, a move that left iOS device users without familiar features like Google's Street View and public transit times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Wow, alot of new cities. Bash it all you want, but I love flyover. It's impressive each and everytime I use it. It will get even better as the power RAM of these devices increases, and bandwidth goes up.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.
  • Reply 3 of 101

Yay, Vancouver. Going to check it out later.

• Reply 4 of 101
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.

It's probably based on what data they can get that's clean.  Modesto and Stockton are probably some of the bigger cities in Ca they still have left to do.  Who knows?

• Reply 5 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    When will OS X have access I wonder?
  • Reply 6 of 101
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member
    Alright, Flyover takes time and whatnot. Fair enough. Generally however, there are many places around the world where the maps are almost blank. Forget flyover and complete your data first. Start with street names for example. And please do this while people still care.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Apple maps is infintly better than google maps (via web).

I cannot comment on the google map app on the iDevice, but I don't care as this shit will never get past the tighest quality control out there, thats me.

Based on the UI from past uses of google, I can be 100% certain that its rubbish.

Apple maps work fine for me, and it will only get better over time.

Where are the whiners when google first released their map app ? Where are you ? I can smell you but not see you ? Please come out and play.

• Reply 8 of 101
    I noticed that many, many more cities already have the outlines of 3D buildings. I've just checked Boston and Washington DC to confirm I didn't just imagine it.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Alright, Flyover takes time and whatnot. Fair enough. Generally however, there are many places around the world where the maps are almost blank. Forget flyover and complete your data first. Start with street names for example. And please do this while people still care.

Flyover and improving map data can be done completely independently, I doubt they're taking time from one to work on the other. Mapping the architecture from the sky has nothing to do with sourcing better data. I have no doubt their primary focus on maps is improving the data further. 

• Reply 10 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    cynic wrote: »

Where? Where are "many places around the world where the maps are almost blank?" I would like a list.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Just checked out flyover for Minneapolis and the POI they have tagged to the Metrodome is the Minnesota Twins. <facepalm>

• Reply 12 of 101
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    Where? Where are "many places around the world where the maps are almost blank?" I would like a list.

Perhaps he/she means that the maps are blank not in terms of streets but business/POI data. That's largely been my experience. Apple Maps is decent for roads but for my purposes has been fairly useless in terms of finding businesses I look up. Others seem fine with it so clearly very dependent on user location and search habits.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    wubbus wrote: »
    Perhaps he/she means that the maps are blank not in terms of streets but business/POI data. That's largely been my experience. Apple Maps is decent for roads but for my purposes has been fairly useless in terms of finding businesses I look up. Others seem fine with it so clearly very dependent on user location and search habits.

Where? The question is still valid.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

What they need to do is to reality check all the Yelp-sourced POIs and location data.  Or replace the Yelp location data entirely.

• Reply 15 of 101
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 238member
    Flyover is neat toy and all, but I want a maps app on my phone that can locate POIs that exist and are not closed. Apple doesn't get me there, Google does.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Who cares about flyover when the underlying data from Tom Tom is still crap
  • Reply 17 of 101
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    One more thing - seriously, flyover in Modesto and Stockton? Really?

What's next? Flyover in Gary, Indiana? Compton, CA? Queens, NY? a garbage dump? LOL
  • Reply 18 of 101
    john.b wrote: »
    What they need to do is to reality check all the Yelp-sourced POIs and location data.  Or replace the Yelp location data entirely.

The problem with this is that Apple has secured multiple data sources including Acxiom, Factual and Localeze. Yelp only provides business reviews. Acxiom, Factual and Localeze are data aggregators and are considered the authoritative sources for business listings even more so than Google.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

republic of Panama

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Where? The question is still valid.

I'm sure there are many places, but anywhere in the Republic of Panama is almost void of POI. In fact the only POI on the Amador Causeway is from the late 1970s when it was a US military base. Now, that it is no longer a base, there are hundreds of restaurants and shops there but none are listed.

I think one of the main problems in the world outside of the US, UK, Japan is that there are no street addresses. Things are described as x number of meters diagonal to the south east from the fire station for example. They use landmarks not numerical addresses.

• Reply 20 of 101
    eat@me wrote: »
    One more thing - seriously, flyover in Modesto and Stockton? Really?

What's next? Flyover in Gary, Indiana? Compton, CA? Queens, NY? a garbage dump? LOL

Modesto and Stockton are exactly where Apple should focus.

List of United States cities by population

1. New York, NY
    2. Los Angeles, CA
    3. Chicago, IL
    10. San Jose, CA
    14. San Francisco, CA
    35. Sacramento, CA
    46. Oakland, CA
    63. Stockton, CA
    107. Modesto, CA

As we can see, Modesto and Stockton are relatively large cities within the United States. Furthermore, Modesto and Stockton are immediately adjacent to three very large metropolitan statistical areas as well as the sixth most populous combined statistical area in the United States.

The Largest Combined Statistical Areas of the United States of America

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA
    2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA
    3. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA
    4. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA
    5. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA
    6. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA
    • San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA
    • San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA
    • Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA MSA
    • Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA
    • Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA
    • Napa, CA MSA

When we consider the preceding in conjunction with evidence that California (with Massachusetts) has the highest rate of iPhone ownership per capita (in 2010) then we can envision why Apple might desire to expend resources in this region.