Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Doesn't this kind of back up Apple's assertion that they still support their Pro customers? This is a feature predominantly used by Mac users in the workplace.

I did not expect this and it is very welcome.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

i wonder if the iMac Mount (www.imacmount.com) is still not a better solution. Both cases seem rather like a hack solution to me.... and I find Apple's solution to be a disappointment. I would like to see someone come out with a solid (and well finished) stand replacement specifically for the iMac with VESA. What is out there now is certainly not to the build and finish quality of the iMac sadly.

This new solution doesn't look much different from the Apple VESA adapters I added to my several 30" cinema displays years ago.  Not sure I understand your fit and finish comments.  It's a mounting adapter that generally can't be seen when in use.  What's the problem?

• Reply 23 of 53
    If you've ever searched / watched any of the YouTube videos available showing how to install Apple's VESA adapter after-the-fact...it's really not difficult at all...and uses the same mount points as the standard base.

I don't see this as a significant challenge or side-step to normal manufacturing lines.

• Reply 24 of 53

Finally!

• Reply 25 of 53
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

I need an iMac without display and with better cooling than the iMac.

• Reply 26 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am surprised Apple didn't invent a low-profile mount that VESA could adopt and make part of their standard.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ecs wrote: »

Then buy an iMac, pull off the display and let it cool out the the front. Anything else I can solve for you today? ;)
  • Reply 28 of 53
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then buy an iMac, pull off the display and let it cool out the the front. Anything else I can solve for you today? image

It would be really tempting to do so. But there're more reasonable options (not from Apple, though).

• Reply 29 of 53
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.

I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?

If I purchased an imac, it would be one of these to allow for height adjustments. I thought it was standard on the old ones, but they required an adapter kit too. They screwed up. Enough people wanted it, so they added the option. It would be worth the $40 to me. A decent arm is at least a couple hundred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am surprised Apple didn't invent a low-profile mount that VESA could adopt and make part of their standard.

It was likely something that they figured wasn't important enough. The old design seemed to use an adapter as well. Perhaps they felt not enough people were buying them?

• Reply 30 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bincky View Post

If you've ever searched / watched any of the YouTube videos available showing how to install Apple's VESA adapter after-the-fact...it's really not difficult at all...and uses the same mount points as the standard base.

I don't see this as a significant challenge or side-step to normal manufacturing lines.

Yeah, that seems like a better solution anyway, so you can reinstall the standard mount when you want to resell it of move it to another location.

• Reply 31 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

No, you don't.

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

It would be really tempting to do so. But there're more reasonable options (not from Apple, though).

So go buy from them.

• Reply 32 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Yep. They had no real way of knowing how many folks care about the whole VESA issue. They got feedback that told them that there were enough folks that do care so they added an option to try it out. If it sells well they might just make it the norm with perhaps the desk mount in the box since that's the most common option. 
    While true they had no way of knowing how people use their iMacs it was beyond stupid for Apple to delete the VESA mount capability in the first place. Coming up with a kludge solution like this doesn't inspire a lot of hope that Apple is focused on customer needs. I mean this say you need to VESA mount your iMac today but a year later your needs for that iMac change. What do you do, prop it up against the wall?

What is even worst is that very few people will be willing to spend $40 on this kludge, even if they would prefer a VESA mount capability. This will cause Apple to turn around and say their is no demand.

In the end iMac is a clear example of Apple being out of touch with respect to customer needs. It isn't just the VESA mount but the whole mentality of the machine. Combine this with a pathetic desktop line up and it is no wonder that most Mac sales are laptops. Their hostile attitude towards normal customer expectations gives many customers the incentive to look else where.
    As for the rest, doubt they would go that far. Perhaps when it's a group like the US government that is guaranteeing to buy like 3000 units at that spec. And it would be an 'off menu' request. Not something they openly offer. 
  • Reply 33 of 53

No what you really need is an XMac! Even if Apple put the iMac in a different box it would still be a terrible solution, a Mac specifically built to be a midrange desktop is a better solution.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

On iMacs, the serial number is normally located on the bottom of the stand. Curious where the label is located on these models. And don't say "Just go to About This Mac" because that doesn't work if the computer won't boot.

• Reply 35 of 53
    No, you don't.
    Right he needs an XMac, a purpose built midrange computer! Glad you recognize that tallest!
    So go buy from them.

A surprising number of potential customers do just that. Apple hardware is often avoided because nothing fits their needs or policies. It isn't just the operating system that is an issue, there are long term support issues that make buying Apple hardware difficult.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Right he needs an XMac, a purpose built midrange computer! Glad you recognize that tallest!

See, this isn't even funny. He doesn't need that either.

• Reply 37 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is an awesome option, especially for such a thin all in one.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is an awesome option, especially for such a thin all in one.

I would give more credibility to thin if it actually added some amount of functionality. The footprint is the same as the old model, and I have yet to see retrofitted imacs used as embedded solutions. It's really just an eye candy thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is even worst is that very few people will be willing to spend $40 on this kludge, even if they would prefer a VESA mount capability. This will cause Apple to turn around and say their is no demand.

Looking at the Apple Store suggests that the old ones also used a kludge that cost either $30 or $40 depending on what you owned. The reviews didn't sound terribly satisfied, but there aren't that many reviews. I dislike the ergonomic qualities of notebooks for similar reasons. Just being able to position it well is great. If someone has purchased imacs for a number of cycles in their standard configurations, they are probably used to the somewhat limited stand design, but it's considerably more annoying if you're used to positioning these things. Even a lot of cheap displays can be easily adjusted. The better ones have well balanced springloaded stands out of the box, so setting height requires little effort.

• Reply 39 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    bincky wrote: »

That is for the old style. The screws have moved from being at the 1:00 position in the older generations to being at the 3:00 position in the current generation, so you can't access them without disassembling the computer.

Take a look at the current generation iFixit photo: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.large
  • Reply 40 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    No what you really need is an XMac! Even if Apple put the iMac in a different box it would still be a terrible solution, a Mac specifically built to be a midrange desktop is a better solution.

Says who? And please explain why it's probably the best selling AIO computer - in spite of running a 'non-standard' OS.

The iMac is a great solution for 97% of computer users. The fact that YOU might want something different is your problem, not the iMac's.

OK.
    http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/