Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It looks like it's been added on after the normal manufacturing process as an afterthought. This might be the only way they could include one, however, as the necessary arm attachment hardware would have extended into the area containing the iMac computer hardware.

Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. If this is true, then maybe they will begin to offer further customization on other production lines for those enterprise users who want to have the disk, WiFi, bluetooth, or microphone removed for security purposes. (If you have to ask why, you're not one of those users.)

I see this as the (speculative) new prosumer platform pattern:

iMac base

then for more glass 

The iMac and Cinema Display and TB in a VESA Frame.

then for more compute  more glass

The iMac + Thunderbolt + GrandCentral + 2nd iMac in a VESA Frame = Extensible compute/visualizaion cluster.

Then for even more

add a 3rd/4th iMac (wall of glass)

or more compute less glass

add a Mac Mini via TB

or a MBPro/Air (with icloudish sync of disks/folders)

Mount this to a 'frame' that holds your IMac and then mount another iMac to it... connect via a TB cable...  Boot them up... and they just work as a single computer.

Add something like Mesos (open source application consumption coordination) to apps so they can self manage how many systems they want to run on (photoshop across spins up a coprocessor app on another system based on cpu/mem availability as a preference)

That's what I want

• Reply 42 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    christophb wrote: »
    Bodes well for the same option being on the display refresh. I'll take 2 when I'm able to assign Desktops to specific displays.

I would definitely go for a TB with VESA mount.

andysol wrote: »
    I thought the same thing- i have two 2010 iMacs that get very warm, but do the new iMacs get as hot?

I hear they run cooler.

wizard69 wrote: »
    While true they had no way of knowing how people use their iMacs it was beyond stupid for Apple to delete the VESA mount capability in the first place. Coming up with a kludge solution like this doesn't inspire a lot of hope that Apple is focused on customer needs. I mean this say you need to VESA mount your iMac today but a year later your needs for that iMac change. What do you do, prop it up against the wall?

Get another VESA mount.

If you're paying $1200+ to buy a new computer, an extra $50 for another instance of your favorite stand shouldn't be a problem. Heck, you might lose the original stand in the intervening years anyway.

What is even worst is that very few people will be willing to spend $40 on this kludge, even if they would prefer a VESA mount capability. This will cause Apple to turn around and say their is no demand.

In the end iMac is a clear example of Apple being out of touch with respect to customer needs. It isn't just the VESA mount but the whole mentality of the machine. Combine this with a pathetic desktop line up and it is no wonder that most Mac sales are laptops. Their hostile attitude towards normal customer expectations gives many customers the incentive to look else where.

Apple isn't going to make a gamer machine or a hacker/tinkerer machine. That kind of person isn't likely to want an Apple machine anyway, those uses are more tied to Windows and Linux anyway.

ecs wrote: »
    I need an iMac without display and with better cooling than the iMac.

The new displays are the best consumer displays you can get. The new chipset is the coolest running so far.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member

Yay. I wrote a letter to Apple months back explaining that my company mounts 100% of our Macs and external displays (and we're 100% Apple), and that our very large investment in monitor arms and other infrastructure would require that we sit out this latest line of Macs due to a lack of a vesa mount. I'm not saying they listened to me, but I'm glad they made this an option.

+1 Apple.

• Reply 44 of 53
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    See, this isn't even funny. He doesn't need that either.

True, you are much funnier knowing better what others need. Hilarious, really.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Well maybe they will add a 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 inch models for a IMac/TV combo( with upgraded functions for TV. With the Thunderbolt Display, upgrade it with better TV functioning and cheap software so it will just be ITV.

IMac possibility's in prices:
    $2000-30 inch, $2300-40 inch, $2700-50 inch,$3000-60 inch, $3300-70 inch, $3700-80 inch
    Thunderbolt(ITV)- 30 inches-$1000, 40 inches-$1500, 50 inches-$2100, 60 inches-$2700, 70 inch-$3000, 80 inches-$3300

(For the thunderbolt cord it will probably be eliminated for AirPlay functions)
  • Reply 46 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    True, you are much funnier knowing better what others need. Hilarious, really.

Don't expect puppies to emerge from a pregnant cat.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Wall mount is good but will be even better with a touch screen.  I think that's the next step.  But may be not if Apple still follows SJ's thinking that touch screen for desktop doesn't make sense.

• Reply 48 of 53
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This new solution doesn't look much different from the Apple VESA adapters I added to my several 30" cinema displays years ago.  Not sure I understand your fit and finish comments.  It's a mounting adapter that generally can't be seen when in use.  What's the problem?

The current iMac is a one or the other solution where as previous mounts allowed you to switch between Apple's desk stand and the VESA. If Apple is going to go with this solution, then the iMac backing should be more polished and not just screwed on as it is. 

People who have desks that are pushed against the walls need not worry about the look of the VESA plate. Some VESA stand/arm manufactures had made smaller VESA mounts specifically for the iMacs that did look nice. So if your desk is exposed to 360 degrees of view... its nice to have it look good... even on the "backside of the fence" that no one sees. 

My fit & finish remark was mostly towards the VESA stand manufactures... where aesthetics are more then absent. 

• Reply 49 of 53
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.

I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?

Well as a design guy, I've always been annoyed that the more recent iMacs (the "everything in the display" designs) and monitors weren't designed to accommodate  typical alternative mounting options from the start.

• Reply 50 of 53
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

I can's say how it's attached from the photo. But the nature and arrangement of the parts is such that I doubt frictional stir welding would be practical or logical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I doubt if it's screwed in. My guess would be their stir welding process.

• Reply 51 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

That is for the old style. The screws have moved from being at the 1:00 position in the older generations to being at the 3:00 position in the current generation, so you can't access them without disassembling the computer.

Take a look at the current generation iFixit photo: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.large

I stand correct.  I had no idea.  Thanks for the update!

• Reply 52 of 53
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    ipilya wrote: »
    i wonder if the iMac Mount (www.imacmount.com) is still not a better solution. Both cases seem rather like a hack solution to me.... and I find Apple's solution to be a disappointment. I would like to see someone come out with a solid (and well finished) stand replacement specifically for the iMac with VESA. What is out there now is certainly not to the build and finish quality of the iMac sadly.

Nope, that one is stupid. It still requires you to cut the foot off if you're mounting the computer under a cabinet, or just don't want to have a ridiculous-looking foot hanging below the computer.

I do wish Apple would do it right and ship ALL iMacs with VESA mounts and make the foot detachable, and I may start specifying the VESA mount model for all installs if I can find a decent foot for desktop installs, it's much more flexible.
  • Reply 53 of 53

Great move Apple! Various applications - Not only this will be a great use in Enterprise (Schools, Hospitals, Financial institutions, etc.) but even at consumer level. Maybe Apple is trying to give desktops a boost - THis would we a great way of putting this in Kitchen.Maybe in the kids bedroom. It is nice flat device. Next thing is that as soon as they make this a touch device, the use will be incredible!