Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple recently updated its online store to reflect availability of a new VESA mount-compatible iMac, with the tweaked version of the thin all-in-one costing in at $40 more than standard models.

VESA iMac


First spotted by German Apple blog iFun, the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) compatibility is likely to be a welcome addition for users who are already invested in the mounting standard.

When Apple first announced the redesigned iMac in October, it was discovered that unlike previous models, the new machines could not be used with standard VESA mounts. In response to feedback from users disappointed in the change, Apple said it was taking the idea of adding the capability into consideration, but offered no concrete details as to when a solution would be made available.

From Apple's description of the new VESA-compatible iMac models:
The iMac with Built-in VESA Mount Adapter is ready to pair with your favorite VESA-compatible wall mount, desk mount, or articulating arm (sold separately). This iMac doesn't include a stand, so a mount is required. If you don't already have a mount, you can purchase one when you configure your iMac.
VESA iMac


The VESA models are not highly advertised on Apple's Online Store, and are nowhere to be seen on the main product page, though a link at the bottom of the iMac configuration tool will take customers to a webpage dedicated to the new versions.

Apple is charging a $40 premium for the ability to use VESA mounts with the iMac. The special configuration is on sale now with shipping estimates starting at 7 to 10 days.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Nice touch Apple! Perhaps this is a spin off from the upcoming 60" Apple TV? ;)
  • Reply 2 of 53
    rob53rob53 Posts: 1,974member
    It looks like it's been added on after the normal manufacturing process as an afterthought. This might be the only way they could include one, however, as the necessary arm attachment hardware would have extended into the area containing the iMac computer hardware.

    Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. If this is true, then maybe they will begin to offer further customization on other production lines for those enterprise users who want to have the disk, WiFi, bluetooth, or microphone removed for security purposes. (If you have to ask why, you're not one of those users.)
  • Reply 3 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rob53 wrote: »
    It looks like it's been added on after the normal manufacturing process as an afterthought. This might be the only way they could include one, however, as the necessary arm attachment hardware would have extended into the area containing the iMac computer hardware.

    Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. If this is true, then maybe they will begin to offer further customization on other production lines for those enterprise users who want to have the disk, WiFi, bluetooth, or microphone removed for security purposes. (If you have to ask why, you're not one of those users.)

    Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.


    I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,567member
    Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure. Aesthetically it would have been cool for it to all be integrated into the case... but it is hidden by the arm so who really cares.

    Wish it was available at retail (prefer to buy in-store for big things), but at least I don't have to switch to a MacMini for my needs.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    t1000t1000 Posts: 1member
    How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member


    Awesome. I haven't bought one of the new iMacs yet and this might sway me. One of the few things that I don't like about the iMac is that the stand isn't height adjustable. Being able to mount it on a wall at any height is very welcome.

  • Reply 7 of 53
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,437member
    Bodes well for the same option being on the display refresh. I'll take 2 when I'm able to assign Desktops to specific displays.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    One of the reasons I have kept my old iMac G4 is because I love the way you can raise, lower, swivel the screen any way you want. Ergonomicly, it's one of the best computers I've ever had! I wish the new Macs would offer the same degree of flexibility.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?


     


    http://macrumors.com

  • Reply 10 of 53
    rob53rob53 Posts: 1,974member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.

     


    If Apple builds this correctly, they would weld the VESA attachment onto the back before the screen is attached, not bolt it on. This provides the most amount of strength. This means the VESA back takes up more space in the production line, they can't be stacked as easily. I'm not sure which part of the production is handled by a robot but the size difference means a different set up. If people are hand assembling the iMacs, they would still need a larger area to hold the VESA backs and a different tray to hold them while the insides are added. Even adding the attachment requires an additional step so some changes have to be made somewhere along the line.

  • Reply 11 of 53
    I have to wonder if it blocks the fan vents enough to cause a problem. I can only hope they've tested it to ensure the answer is no.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post



    I have to wonder if it blocks the fan vents enough to cause a problem. I can only hope they've tested it to ensure the answer is no.


    I thought the same thing- i have two 2010 iMacs that get very warm, but do the new iMacs get as hot?

  • Reply 13 of 53
    That's pretty cool.

    I'm moving into a new house and was going to wall mount my PC - being able to do the same with the new iMac is great.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure.

    I doubt if it's screwed in. My guess would be their stir welding process.
    rob53 wrote: »
    If Apple builds this correctly, they would weld the VESA attachment onto the back before the screen is attached, not bolt it on. This provides the most amount of strength. This means the VESA back takes up more space in the production line, they can't be stacked as easily. I'm not sure which part of the production is handled by a robot but the size difference means a different set up. If people are hand assembling the iMacs, they would still need a larger area to hold the VESA backs and a different tray to hold them while the insides are added. Even adding the attachment requires an additional step so some changes have to be made somewhere along the line.

    Still doesn't require all that much. The backs are attached to the front robotically via stir welding. All they'd need is a different jig to hold the backs. The difficulty in stacking them might be an issue, but not that difficult of one to deal with (depending on how the backs are delivered, it might not be an issue at all).
  • Reply 15 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,198member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    Nice touch Apple! Perhaps this is a spin off from the upcoming 60" Apple TV? image


     


    I don't think there is an 'real' Apple TV on the horizon. It's too much licensing headaches etc for something that could be serviced merely by creating a new Cinema Display lineup that has the power to be used a multipurpose screen. Make a CD that can be used with computers, blu-ray, tivo, apple tv set box, cable tuner boxes etc. Opens up way more markets to sell this thing. Even if it only comes in like 24", 36" and 46" models (with perhaps only the lower two in stores).


     


    But I agree with the notion that this multipurpose mount should be the way things go forward on iMacs and displays. 

  • Reply 16 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,198member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post



    Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. 


    Yep. They had no real way of knowing how many folks care about the whole VESA issue. They got feedback that told them that there were enough folks that do care so they added an option to try it out. If it sells well they might just make it the norm with perhaps the desk mount in the box since that's the most common option. 


     


    As for the rest, doubt they would go that far. Perhaps when it's a group like the US government that is guaranteeing to buy like 3000 units at that spec. And it would be an 'off menu' request. Not something they openly offer. 

  • Reply 17 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,198member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post



    Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure. Aesthetically it would have been cool for it to all be integrated into the case... but it is hidden by the arm so who really cares.

     


     


    You can't tell from the photos but perhaps not. They might be milling these backs with the 'adapter' built in. Not just screwing them in place. It could be that way because it's more stable. My own company has had issues with VESA adapters that shifted over time at the screws thanks to the bouncing up and down from users moving them around, the trailers being driven around. Folks were worried the mount would come undone. If this is a solid part of the back that issue could be reduced greatly. 

  • Reply 18 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,198member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by T1000 View Post



    How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard.


     


    How dare you show your ignorance with your hyperbole about the material costs, lack of remembering labor costs etc. 


     


    When we were adding the mounts ourselves they were like $100 and then another $100+ for the arm. So this is still rather cheap. 

  • Reply 19 of 53
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 185member
    i wonder if the iMac Mount (www.imacmount.com) is still not a better solution. Both cases seem rather like a hack solution to me.... and I find Apple's solution to be a disappointment. I would like to see someone come out with a solid (and well finished) stand replacement specifically for the iMac with VESA. What is out there now is certainly not to the build and finish quality of the iMac sadly.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    I thought the same thing- i have two 2010 iMacs that get very warm, but do the new iMacs get as hot?



    Try smcFanControl


     


    It works great. I use it on my iMac. It lets you adjust the fan speed. It shows the temperature and the fan speed in the menu bar so you can fine tune it for your environment.


     


    http://www.eidac.de

Sign In or Register to comment.