BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 221 of 291
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is so mindless. Change for the sake of change? Does the guy make a single suggestion as to what FUNCTIONALITY needs to change?

Are there thing I want changed? Yes. Do I want it to get more flashy? No. I want useless crap like animated knob anisotropy left out.

I want the successive iterations of the OS to not be slower and slower. That's "change I can believe in."

I don't want ios to be like a desktop computer. I like ios for its single tasking GUI. Multitasking is not effective in human behavior and is not all that effective in computing either. Doing more than one thing at a time is well known as a killer of productivity for human beings and, as we tech people see with desktop computers, has limited value in computing itself (the system resources should always be dedicated primarily to responding to the user at all times, and this doesn't happen, especially with many applications and system services running all at one time; it's self defeating).

So... Change what??

Capitalism leads consumers into expecting change for one reason: buying the same thing again and again. It's not in consumer interest, so they blab about new features you gotta have. Sometimes they're useful additions. Often, it's marginal or utterly wasteful. Yet, consumers are lead on. It's not choice or free market. It's conditioning. It has been very successful. They believe it themselves, and the market analysts declare stability as a negative.

This behavior isn't sustainable! Is there any wonder the market collapsed?? There's so little long term thinking. Just sell sell sell! Is it worth the effort? If it makes some more profit this quarter, who cares otherwise???
  • Reply 222 of 291
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android is not my competition. I'm not Apple, though I have been known to own a few AAPL shares from time to time.

I don't really see Android as competition at all, since I believe that they are targeting a different type of consumer, a consumer that I don't really care about, and a consumer that I don't believe that Apple should bother going after.

I've been a fan of Apple long before they began selling hundreds of millions of devices, and I'm not a fan of Apple because of the quantity of phones that they might sell. Needless to say, I am not the least bit impressed by Android, it is a vastly inferior operating system for my needs, and I would never even consider it. As you might have seen from my iPad screen shot, I have a lot of music apps. That is impossible on Android, it is a non starter.

I was talking about you not supporting AppleInsider with ads and trying to change the subject on me skipping past commercials on DVR. Nothing to do with Apple or Android.

• Reply 223 of 291

There seems to be a lot of this these days. The fevered pitch of emotional attachment to all products mobile seems, to me, to be peaking. Executives and CEOs from all the major players are feeding the media wars with their quotes hoping to continue fueling the product loyalism, like religion or tribalism. It's all quite fun and entertaining. I don't think that Apple needs to worry one bit about this however. They are the market leader, not only in profit, but they are the leader of the mindset on quality and satisfaction. Apple is going to thrive regardless of the nay-Sayers....IMO... My observations on the current market are that Google has accomplished what they wanted to by slowing Apple out of the gate and to establish a framework to get the the Google Services Apps on the majority of mobile OSs and under their control. Android will likely fade or get forked to all corners of the planet and Google will only fight to maintain there Service presence on the biggest emerging players. They want your eyes. The horses have left the barn and they have lost control of the OS. BB and MS are well positioned to take advantage of this situation especially as they have both created fantastic products and UIs. There still remains the possibility that other OSs may rise like Tizen, FirefoxOS? In all of this coming instability however Apple is best positioned to maintain and extend its dominance. They also ... IMO...need to learn from the shifts in the competitive mobile UI landscape and adapt a little.     

• Reply 224 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If there was a site that was guaranteed to be 100% free of Fandroids, that might be worth a few bucks to me.

Why don't you start your own site, then you would be sure. And it would keep you away from the rest of us, which would be worth a few bucks at least.

• Reply 225 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop pretending nonsense. Or if you're going to pretend it, don't post it.

So change your search order.

Reading your lies makes me depressed.

Because I don't feel like wasting my time posting the pages-long explanation of why skeuomorphism itself not only isn't bad, it's the best solution for UI/X. It's common sense, so why repost it every time someone whines about something they choose not to understand? If you do any reading on the subject whatsoever, you'll see why you're wrong. You don't protest the concept of skeuomorphism, you protest the specific designs used. My Lies.

My lies??? I heard lithium helps conditions like yours.

• Reply 226 of 291
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »
    And triangular shaped wheels! Those round ones are so boring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/09/mythbusters-tests-the-square-wheel-theory/

(OK, not triangles, but close enough).
  • Reply 227 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I hope ios7 doesn't change much, honestly I don't want to see widgets, live wallpapers, swype, and a bunch of software features that you see on some of the android phones. I'm old school, I just want ios7 to look relatively the same as the first ios in 2007. I prefer speed, fluidity, solid battery life over a bunch of features that most people wont use anyways.

Agreed. Here is what is good about iOS. My 4 year old can use it. My 9yr old can use it. My wife can use it. And I, a developer with 18yrs of experience writing software can use it. I cut my teeth on Unix C. I've written code in C++ and Java on Windows and Unix(and Linux) and C#. I've used various open source frameworks like Spring and TCL/TK.   I used OS/2 back in the day.

I've skinned my GUIs, tinkered and tweaked and STILL the iPhone and iPad are my devices of choice.

That's what's special. It appeals to techno-hardcore and novice alike.  And you get all of this with the best vendor support, best app selection, best 3rd party support, fewest hassles and least amount of malware.

Why on Earth would anyone listen to anything Blackberry has to offer. Say it with actions, not words.

• Reply 228 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

My lies??? I heard lithium helps conditions like yours.

And educating yourself helps yours. There's not much else to say to someone that claims "iOS has no hierarchy" and resorts to pathetic insults.

• Reply 229 of 291
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I was talking about you not supporting AppleInsider with ads and trying to change the subject on me skipping past commercials on DVR. Nothing to do with Apple or Android.

You must be talking about somebody else, because I haven't mentioned anything about any commercials or DVRs.

As for ads, I block them all on every single site that I visit. I don't trust them at all, and I see them as a threat to my security and privacy. I'm not on Facebook and I don't want Facebook tracking me, I don't want Google tracking me, I don't want anybody tracking me.

• Reply 230 of 291
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Why don't you start your own site, then you would be sure. And it would keep you away from the rest of us, which would be worth a few bucks at least.

I am objective enough to realize that that would never work. First of all, I am not willing to put the time, money and effort into such an endeavor and secondly, I can freely admit that I would probably be the worst moderator in the world. I would be banning people left and right.

If it were up to me, approximately 20% of the users on this site would be instantly banned.

• Reply 231 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    And if I didn't want to I wouldn't have to. I'm just glad I have that option.

In my opinion, if Apple wants to continue to entice the young, very tech savvy, gotta-have-it-now, always want to be the newest, generation of kids that will soon have disposable income, iOS needs to change. It's just my opinion from seeing all my friends and colleges and classmates who mostly have non-Apple phones. No offense, but, you sound exactly like the parents in the Samsung ads. Apple would have to do so little to make that change happen and I really hope they do.

No offense taken, but Samsung's Apple-parents don't look like they went to Woodstock or did much acid.

You are right that there is a generational divide, but a new generation isn't always on the right path, nor a population within a generation. The first batch to inherit a new technology is sometimes exhibits a sacrificial early-adopter case of overdose. Like the fluff-heads in the fities, before we got a serious new culture inherited from the Beats, which in turn led directly to the personal computer.

Apple is still trading on the sixties notion of personal amplification through authentic experience. What you are talking about is the early effect of frenetic distraction caused naturally by the injection of a new technology into a culture. Like the fifties fluffheads or the twenties flappers, it's destined to be supeceded by something more authentic. I don't know if Apple will adapt, but I do know that Android is serving this crop of damaged nervous systems. You can see it in their ads, their iconography, and their twitchy "open" operating system.
  • Reply 232 of 291
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 233 of 291
    Well in a way , yes , there is some truth to this , the interface needs to be refreshed , it does look a bit dusty . Im sure Mr Ive will come up with some new designs for the OS . I do agree on the simplicity of use, I think is the way the whole OS looks now, it needs a bit of pizzaz and a tweak to the icons and the way u look at the phone , maybe floating transparent icons that minimize while on the screen but magnify as u go over them ? and a newer design of the dock ? and how u get to the most used apps?
  • Reply 234 of 291
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Apple has sold more than 500,000,000 (half a billion) iOS devices. Drastucally changing the UI of an OS that so many people use, love, and find intuitive is not a light step to take, and a responsible company like Apple realizes that. You can just as easily confuse and turn off people. I have no doubt iOS7 will see some major changes, but have some fucking patience and understand that there's alot more at stake than the poorly thought out fantasies of tech nerds. 

• Reply 235 of 291
    BMW doesn't desperately change the dash of the ultimate driving machine each year either.
  • Reply 236 of 291
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Can iOS benefit from a refresh? Yes. Has it been refreshed for the better in the past? Arguably, yes. Will it get newly-refreshed without adding unnecessary complexity? Probably. Having said that, from what I've read so far in these comments, the vast majority of iOS's "shortcomings" could be solved by one or more of the following maneuvers:

1) Locate your Settings app icon on the springboard dock,

2) download one or more of about 1,000,000 third-party apps for any of your specific needs, 

3) jailbreak and move on with your life, or

4) switch to Android (see #3, above).

The bellyaching over iOS seems to be coming from people who would better be served by an Android device or the complaints are so user-specific that the types of overhauls being suggested would leave the vast majority of others with different preferences left behind by the changes. 

Honestly, how many times a day does anyone need to check the weather? Wake up, open weather app, check the weather. Done. Why waste any battery life with dynamic weather widgets? I could go on and on.

It has been a highly-successful business strategy of Apple's to be ok with allowing software developers and accessory makers to cater to iOS device owners with more specific needs. It's called building an ecosystem.

• Reply 237 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondsteve View Post

BMW doesn't desperately change the dash of the ultimate driving machine each year either.

This is true, but ... the rate of change in development of computers is drastically more rapid than Automobiles. Where I am from there are still many cars that are 50 years old that are functioning and still on the road and easily maintainable. I don't see many 10 year old computers still in use. I've only seen a couple of computers in my life from the 1960's and they were at Universities. Fundamentally different things and at different places in their developments. Top end Swiss watches have not changed their UI or design for a century but again a completely different thing. BMW has changed their dash quite a bit in each 'decade' of the last half century. 

• Reply 238 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macrulez wrote: »

Two historical tidbits:

1. The LSD Generation was, inadvertently, a creation of the Establishment: in the years prior to it being made illegal, most of the LSD distributed in the US came from the CIA.

2. According to the biography "The Journey is the Reward", during his college years Steve Jobs took LSD weekly; in more recent years Jobs has cited not taking LSD as one of the reasons for what he felt was Bill Gates' limited thinking.

Yes, it was a bit of a surprise to read in "Acid Dreams" and "Storming Heaven" just how much we owe the CIA for the consciousness that still stands at the top of the Zeitgeist. At the time, we didn't think to ask where the acid came from, just whether it was clean phamacologically.

I still think "What the Dormouse Said" by John Markoff is essential reading for the Bohemian origins of the personal computer's ethic and instrumentation. I haven't checked out "The Journey is the Reward," must do so. But I bet you can derive Apple's OS philosophy from Jobs's early "education."

I don't know if the CIA should be included within the term "Establishment," by the way. In their secret psych warfare role, they were profoundly anti-establishment. Is this on topic?
  • Reply 239 of 291

If Apple doesn't do something fresh and interesting with iOS 7 I'll be switching to an Android device. The new HTC One is very impressive. I like the iPhone quite a bit but I haven't been excited about anything they've done for years, found iOS5 and iOS6 very boring, increasingly scattered design mentality, and making me wonder what they are even doing over there with all the talent in the world coming up with very little each year.

• Reply 240 of 291
    A grid of icons is an "invention"? Yeah, maybe in 1984.