BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 241 of 291
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    When Apple needs advice from Blackberry on how to have a successful phone, I'm sure they'll let them know.
  • Reply 242 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

If Apple doesn't do something fresh and interesting with iOS 7 I'll be switching to an Android device.

Bye. 

…making me wonder what they are even doing over there with all the talent in the world coming up with very little each year.

Maybe they're, you know, not "coming up with very little".

• Reply 243 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I think that it's visually outdated, but it works.

I'd love to be able to glance at weather info on the lockscreen without having to unlock the phone. Something like that just seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah that lockscreen needs to be more useful. Come one Apple!

While I think the UI is efficient, the UX is too basic and could definitely use an up haul .  That's why I always JB my phone c/c I enjoy using my iPhone much more with SB Settings and Activiator installed.

• Reply 244 of 291
    STUPID ARTICLE. STUPID CEO. STUPID BLACKBERRY.

Computer interfaces have been basically the same for almost 3 decades. I don't hear anyone clamoring for an overhaul of that. I think it would be stupid for a company to radically overhaul a UI to appease Wall Street. Incremental changes, otherwise people would complain about how much different the UI is and how they need to learn it all over again (windows 8).

I'm done with Appleinsider for awhile. The articles here are straight-up bullshit.
  • Reply 245 of 291
    Heh. Blackberry criticizing someone else's "outdated interface."

This is the company that literally JUST released the phone in this photo - which is the iPhoniest iPhone clone I've ever seen:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/01/first-bb10-update/
  • Reply 246 of 291
    A grid of icons is an "invention"? Yeah, maybe in 1984.

You're a fucking idiot. Could you touch the grid and interface with it in your palm in 1984? Douchebag.
  • Reply 247 of 291
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'm surprised not a single one of the hard-core users on the forum mentioned this: for Apple to add a list view or cover flow for apps, they would essentially be adding what they took out of iOS. Because as everyone knows, iOS is based on and essentially a child of OS X. I would guestimate 100 ines of code max for each "feature". In fact quite a few "features" could be put back in so to speak, even opening with default app, or as some others have mentioned, widgets and Dashboard.

Fact is that iOS shares the same code as OS X, but adds the Core Touch framework, so anything is possible. HOWEVER: the Apple mantra of what's thrown out for sake up usability is more important than ever going forward. The Microsoft experiment, and the free-for-all Android and specifically the hideous feature bloat of the Samsung S4 proves this point.
  • Reply 248 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm surprised not a single one of the hard-core users on the forum mentioned this: for Apple to add a list view or cover flow for apps, they would essentially be adding what they took out of iOS. Because as everyone knows, iOS is based on and essentially a child of OS X. I would guestimate 100 ines of code max for each "feature". In fact quite a few "features" could be put back in so to speak, even opening with default app, or as some others have mentioned, widgets and Dashboard.

Fact is that iOS shares the same code as OS X, but adds the Core Touch framework, so anything is possible. HOWEVER: the Apple mantra of what's thrown out for sake up usability is more important than ever going forward. The Microsoft experiment, and the free-for-all Android and specifically the hideous feature bloat of the Samsung S4 proves this point.

Note they already have CoverFlow in iTunes so I would guess the lines of code to pull the App icons would be much less than 100 to make this work. That said, I hope they don't do this. I've long wished that I could disable CoverFlow in Music nee iTunes as any tilt too much will switch to a view I hate using on iOS.
  • Reply 249 of 291
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've long wished that I could disable CoverFlow in Music nee iTunes as any tilt too much will switch to a view I hate using on iOS.

Fully agree sir, I don't like that either. In fact, I find it annoying. Good thing the iPhone 5 flips back portrait/landscape quicker that previous models.
  • Reply 250 of 291
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

^^

there are some good suggestions here, and I think a lot of them would make iOS more functional.  I don't think they're just change for the sake of change.  I'm not necessarily a fan of widgets but why does the home screen need to be a grid of apps?  What if I wanted it to just show date/time/weather and the apps I use the most?  Or access to most used settings.  And have all my other apps on a different screen which could be organized alphabetically or by some category.  And I'd only need to see them when I want to access one of those apps.  There are things Apple can do which would benefit the user. If iOS was perfect Scott Forstall would still be at Apple.

Uh...Scott is still at Apple, last time i remember.  And still being consulted as an Advisor to iOS development.

what you suggest alienates a lot of people that don't want the OS to automatically organize your apps for you.

Just a grid of Apps?  Uh, your Mac is the same way and I don't hear anyone complaining about that?  What would you suggest instead of a grid of Apps that easy to use in a single handed touch interface?  The only way it could get more user-freindly would be to make it entirely Siri-friendly or telepathy.

• Reply 251 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    If Apple doesn't do something fresh and interesting with iOS 7 I'll be switching to an Android device. The new HTC One is very impressive. I like the iPhone quite a bit but I haven't been excited about anything they've done for years, found iOS5 and iOS6 very boring, increasingly scattered design mentality, and making me wonder what they are even doing over there with all the talent in the world coming up with very little each year.

If you can still post this without embarrassment after reading through this thread, then I guess I give up on your type.

Your type? Over-amped, ADD nervous system, with nothing better to do than play with your phone and whine about how it no longer gets you off. If you are bored with the OS of your iPhone, I suggest that the problem is with you.

I wouldn't bother criticizing you, but your junk meme is sucking in other people and causing a fictitious problem. Helping to tank the stock, I might add. Switch. Bye.
  • Reply 252 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I was talking about you not supporting AppleInsider with ads and trying to change the subject on me skipping past commercials on DVR. Nothing to do with Apple or Android.

I was the one who mentioned I would wager that you skipped commercials using a DVR....even though you currently don't have/use one, and you were the one who brought up that blocking GoogleAds was pathetic. I was just saying that you are (were) probably guilty of doing the same thing with TV ads. DVRs are not provided for free, the cost is built into the subscription and if you had one you would skip commercials. There is no doubt in my mind.

What difference does it make if one ignores the ads on AppleInsider or uses a plug-in to block them? Blocking them just serves to reduce clutter on the webpage.

• Reply 253 of 291
    flaneur wrote: »
    If you can still post this without embarrassment after reading through this thread, then I guess I give up on your type.

Your type? Over-amped, ADD nervous system, with nothing better to do than play with your phone and whine about how it no longer gets you off. If you are bored with the OS of your iPhone, I suggest that the problem is with you.

I wouldn't bother criticizing you, but your junk meme is sucking in other people and causing a fictitious problem. Helping to tank the stock, I might add. Switch. Bye.

Don't feed the concern trolls. It just makes it worse.
  • Reply 254 of 291
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

If Apple doesn't do something fresh and interesting with iOS 7 I'll be switching to an Android device. The new HTC One is very impressive. I like the iPhone quite a bit but I haven't been excited about anything they've done for years, found iOS5 and iOS6 very boring, increasingly scattered design mentality, and making me wonder what they are even doing over there with all the talent in the world coming up with very little each year.

Make sure to let Apple know about your ultimatum, I have no doubt they will take that into consideration and shift their entire product strategy to suit your specific wants.

• Reply 255 of 291
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Thank you for answering your own question.

Re-read my question.  It remains unanswered.

• Reply 256 of 291

Icons with realtime data would be nice too.  Want to know the temperature?  Look at the weather app icon which instead of the sun and 72 degrees it always displays as it's icon could be the actual temperature and weather...  The clock could show you the actual time, or if you have a timer or stopwatch going, update in realtime.  Sure, get a whole screen of icons that all want to tell you something and you have a mess but...

All of that said, I really DON'T like the whole Android widget thing.  Weird mixed metaphor of icons and apps.

• Reply 257 of 291

Blackberry's CEO telling anyone how to innovate in the phone market is like a 600lb man telling someone how to lose weight.

• Reply 258 of 291
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    kdmeister wrote: »
    Why mess with a good thing? 

Like the former RIM CEO's, once you start criticizing Apple, your future ain't looking so bright. 

"Why mess with a good thing?" is probably what masters of Nokia/Symbian, RIM and Win CE were telling themselves when iOS, and later Android, hit the market.

After all, they had market share and were still selling good in the first year of iPhone availability, likely longer.

But I personally think you need to keep things fresh pro-actively, rather than wait for decline before you start acting. Of course, this is just my own point of view; I don't know how many others share it, if any significant number. But I do know that, running 3Gs with iOS6, I am really not inspired to get new iPhone. I don't care for features that require advanced hardware; I don't game on phone anything even remotely complex, I have dedicated camera in my pocket/bag/car all the time... but I would like improved functionality with base features - messages, calendar, contacts, email - and, save for higher res screen and snappier response, I would not get much with new iPhone from what I have now.
  • Reply 259 of 291
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gnotorious wrote: »
    Icons with realtime data would be nice too.  Want to know the temperature?  Look at the weather app icon which instead of the sun and 72 degrees it always displays as it's icon could be the actual temperature and weather...  The clock could show you the actual time, or if you have a timer or stopwatch going, update in realtime.  Sure, get a whole screen of icons that all want to tell you something and you have a mess but...

All of that said, I really DON'T like the whole Android widget thing.  Weird mixed metaphor of icons and apps.

These are exact things I like with Windows 8 / WP8 tiles. I'm also not too enthusiastic with Android - in fact, after trying handful of widgets on my Android tablet, I have revered back to basic layout with no widgets. Probably lack of uniformity of widgets design is what doesn't work for me on Android.

So for me, tiles functionality presented in different (more Apple-esque?) way. I honestly don't know what that way should be, but then - there is a reason why I am not Jony Ive.
  • Reply 260 of 291

are we at apple going to fix this or do I buy the Z10 from bbry as I dont want to be hacked like this

NEWARK, N.J. %u2014 A man convicted of illegally gaining access to AT&T's servers and stealing more than 100,000 e-mail addresses of iPad users is facing sentencing.

Andrew Auernheimer is scheduled to appear in federal court in Newark today.

The former Arkansas resident was convicted in November of identity theft and conspiracy to gain unauthorized access to computers. Prosecutors are seeking a sentence of 33 to 41 months. Auernheimer's attorney says his client should receive probation.

Prosecutors say Auernheimer was part of an online group that tricked AT&T's website into divulging the email addresses, including those of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, film mogul Harvey Weinstein and other celebrities.