Why did Apple hire Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch?

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    Gruber and Dalrymple might not always get things right but when they question whether this was a good hire then it gives me pause.  Hopefully it's not another Papermaster situation.





    Dalrymple has one trick - he has someone at Apple telling him when to say Yes or Nope. Beyond that, he makes a living mocking anything non-Apple, without any real technical know-how.


     


    Gruber is a deeper thinker and has software chops. So, his opinions are worth more, and he is clearly more successful as a blogger.


     


    Regardless, both are jumping on Lynch for one reason - Flash. But he was working for Adobe at the time, what else was he going to do?

  • Reply 62 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post





    Hey, maybe YOU could tell us what exactly the problems were with the screen lamination on the iMacs, and the GF/2 film laminations on the iPad mini. Was it a matter of adding suppliers and lines? Inherehent difficulties in these processes? Yeilds? Supplies?



    Surely you must know the details, since you're saying that the COO is completely responsible.




    Someone at Apple is ultimately responsible even if the problem is in China. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

  • Reply 63 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Why is singling out any group for preferential treatment any less offensive than excluding a group?



    Apple's senior positions are truly the pinnacle of the entire industry. Unfortunately, there are few (if any) women who have proven themselves at that level. The retail position would have been the most likely one, but they apparently didn't find any women they liked for that job.



    I'd prefer for Apple to hire the best person for a job - regardless of age, sex, color, sexual preference, or any other extraneous factor.




    When all other things are equal, a company like Apple should give serious consideration to hiring women and minorities. They seem to be the only major tech company with neither in their senior ranks right now. I don't for a second believe this is deliberate, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb.

  • Reply 64 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post



    Bob Mensfeld is Hardware guy. Kevin is software architect. I dont know how do they fit.

    I feel this guys is hired for creative suite.




    Or a new product that requires both.

  • Reply 65 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Jobs hired (and fired?) Pagemaster. Give the guy a chance. Since he will not be the leader of any group, he has to conform to Apple culture. He didn't have final say on anything.




    Papermaster :)

  • Reply 66 of 202
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by InfoDave View Post


     


     


    I'm with these guys.



    yep....what he said....


    I mean Apple has made bone head hirings(Pagemaster) before...but for the most part Apple continues to do the smart thing. So they must have something in mind for this hiring...time will tell.

  • Reply 67 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by professorsteve View Post



    When one looks at the Executive Profiles for Apple, what jumps out is the absence of any women in senior roles. Remedying that omission should have been Tim Cook's priority for a new senior hire.


    People shouldn't be hired based on gender.  And this guy isn't senior enough to make the executive page.

  • Reply 68 of 202
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    You can't knock Shiller for his Flash history, because back then (in the hands of Macromedia) Flash was revolutionary.



     


     


    Flash used to have a cool interface and free hand ability to draw. Adobe messed it up. Further, people have to start somewhere. If your employer supports something, you will support something.

  • Reply 69 of 202
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by professorsteve View Post

    When one looks at the Executive Profiles for Apple, what jumps out is the absence of any women in senior roles. Remedying that omission should have been Tim Cook's priority for a new senior hire.


     


    NO.





    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

    I don't for a second believe this is deliberate, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb.


     


    Not in the slightest.

  • Reply 70 of 202
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    People shouldn't be hired based on gender.  And this guy isn't senior enough to make the executive page.



     


     


    I agree. Gender should rarely be a consideration when hiring. Hire the best people for the position you need to hire period. 

  • Reply 71 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post




    When all other things are equal, a company like Apple should give serious consideration to hiring women and minorities. They seem to be the only major tech company with neither in their senior ranks right now. I don't for a second believe this is deliberate, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb.



    Doing that wouldn't get Apple any brownie points.  All people would say is its a token hire just for PR purposes.

  • Reply 72 of 202

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post



    Hey, maybe YOU could tell us what exactly the problems were with the screen lamination on the iMacs, and the GF/2 film laminations on the iPad mini. Was it a matter of adding suppliers and lines? Inherehent difficulties in these processes? Yeilds? Supplies?



    Surely you must know the details, since you're saying that the COO is completely responsible.


    Hey, I don't work there, but sure as heck can reasonably surmise -- based on all the news, the shortages and delays esp. in iMacs, and the severely negative stock price reaction -- that they've been having major supply chain issues. In most companies, it's the Ops guy/gal that's responsible.


     


    If you want to be cute-sy about it, that's your wont.

  • Reply 73 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    My thoughts exactly. With his background (absent Flash involvement) I'd hope he is going to kick Apple's software division in the next decade. iWorks and iLife need to be taken to the next level, perhaps as consumer and pro versions.. I love Apple's own software, its intuitive ease of use and interoperability but there is much to be done. To name but one, iWEb into iWeb Pro (or WebPro) with kick ass HTML5 and something like Hype built in ... Then reabsorb Claris, sorry FileMaker, and make its product line into an affordable database element in iWorks with iCloud support built into all these products where appropriate.



    I think that last point should be made louder. Apple should take back FileMaker into the fold and add database technology into iWorks / Works Pro X (select your own name).


    Who's ultimately responsible for Apple's professional apps right now?  Where did that responsibility go when Sina Tamaddon left?

  • Reply 74 of 202
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,511member

    Someone at Apple is ultimately responsible even if the problem is in China. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

    I will understand when someone, even a hothead like anant, shows me some causation.

    Until then what I don't understand is why some people, who know absolutely nothing about any matter at all, whether it's some personnel thing or screen lamination in Taiwan, feel compelled to claim that Apple's going downhill fast in some area or other, or that Cook is incompetent, etc.
  • Reply 75 of 202
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Jobs hired (and fired?) Pagemaster. Give the guy a chance. Since he will not be the leader of any group, he has to conform to Apple culture. He didn't have final say on anything.


     


     


    Papermaster was hired and came to work at Apple when Cook was running things and Jobs was on medical leave.

  • Reply 76 of 202

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

    I don't for a second believe this is deliberate, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb.


     


    Not in the slightest.



    Obviously it's subjective (and these appointments should be, by no means, at the sacrifice of quality), but I too think it sticks out like a sore thumb. Look at this, for example: http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/


     


    It looks a lot more like America, and these guys are no slouches.


     


    The talent is obviously there.

  • Reply 77 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    Doing that wouldn't get Apple any brownie points.  All people would say is its a token hire just for PR purposes.





    It's not about getting brownie points or PR. It's about social responsibilities. When two candidates are equally qualified, hiring a woman or a minority does much to promote science and technology amongst youngsters. Minority hiring is hardly a rarity in technology circles. But Apple is one of the few prominent tech companies without one in their senior ranks, ever since the departure of Avie Tevanian. I don't recall a woman ever being in their inner circle. It is hard to fathom they couldn't find one good enough to promote or hire in all their history, when IBM, HP, Yahoo and Xerox all have women CEOs. I repeat, I don't think this is intentional exclusion. But it shows this is an area where they can be more socially aware.

  • Reply 78 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    And once you do that it necessarily changes the way you have to hire. You can no longer simply look at the products someone has produced (such as the Dixon's Stores or the Flash Player), you have to look at abstract resume bullet points and see whether they match the abstract role you are hiring for now. You have set yourself up for more of a lottery in the hiring process.



    I like this structure better though because instead of someone protecting their product line (to the possible detriment of other product lines, see: Sinofsky and Windows) everything you do is for the betterment of the company overall. 

  • Reply 79 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    NO.


     


    Not in the slightest.



     


    With all due respect, how do you think women feel when they look at Apple as a place of employment? How many will not notice the glass ceiling? To say this is not in the slightest obvious is just misguided.

  • Reply 80 of 202
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    My thoughts exactly. With his background (absent Flash involvement) I'd hope he is going to kick Apple's software division in the next decade. iWorks and iLife need to be taken to the next level, perhaps as consumer and pro versions.. I love Apple's own software, its intuitive ease of use and interoperability but there is much to be done. To name but one, iWEb into iWeb Pro (or WebPro) with kick ass HTML5 and something like Hype built in ... Then reabsorb Claris, sorry FileMaker, and make its product line into an affordable database element in iWorks with iCloud support built into all these products where appropriate.



    I think that last point should be made louder. Apple should take back FileMaker into the fold and add database technology into iWorks / Works Pro X (select your own name).


    So far this post makes the most sense......

Sign In or Register to comment.