Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They must have submitted it then. I predict it will be out tomorrow, lots of new apps come out at the end of the week.

• Reply 22 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @RaptorOO7,

16:9 7" = 20.94 sq inches

4:3 7.85" = 29.58 sq inches.

29.58"^2 is 141% of 20.94"^2. Note that I included the aspect ratio in my original post as a raging clue.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?

If the app is 100% within the rules they will. But something tells me it wouldn't be. There will be some private API or such that turns up that will get it rejected and Google will try to play the fear card.

if they have actually submitted it. Google might want to keep this in house to encourage buying. But why pass up the dig on Apple. 

• Reply 24 of 92
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

• Reply 25 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

I thought that was strange, too, but obviously this comes down to personal preference. After all, Google made the Nexus 7 to avoid competing directly with the iPad. That doesn't mean Schmidt has to like that screen size.

We know this ... how?

• Reply 26 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

• Reply 27 of 92
    stefstef Posts: 87member

I wish Apple would take all the Google apps off of iOS. Google pays Apple about a $billion a year for the privilege; Apple doesn't need another billion. It needs to stop Google's looney machinations. Cf. maps and reader.

• Reply 28 of 92
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    charlituna wrote: »
    If the app is 100% within the rules they will. But something tells me it wouldn't be. There will be some private API or such that turns up that will get it rejected and Google will try to play the fear card.

if they have actually submitted it. Google might want to keep this in house to encourage buying. But why pass up the dig on Apple. 

Agree but Google is in the search business, they don't care if its from Android or iOS. Guess we will see soon. Probably why they leaked the video, easy way to put Apple on the hot seat.

I want the app, myself.
  • Reply 29 of 92

What interesting about that is there are a lot of people that believe that Apple reversed some decision and decided to switch out Apple Maps for Google Apps as their default apps. My father was the first one to mention this to me and then he showed me the article he had read it. It was either a deliberately slanted article against Apple or it was sheer ignorance. It was so outside what is rational and sane that I can't even recall a single line from it.

That makes me think that Google's delay with releasing the App Store app and their comments leading up to it were all planned specifically as propaganda to get people to think Apple backtracked somewhere.
  • Reply 30 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

My parents said/thought the same thing when I was born. Were they ever wrong!

• Reply 31 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm sorry, I'm calling bullshit. This is the same crap Google pulled with maps, first saying they were "caugh off guard" that Apple dropped Google maps, then insinuating they submitted the app and it got rejected, etc etc, continually contradicting their story but the theme was to make Apple the villain and to create as much negative PR was possible.

ame thing now- I see absolutely no reason why Apple would reject this app, since they're accepted to many other Google apps that duplicated functionality, etc. This does not pose a threat to Siri because only a minority of users will install it, and it isn't integrated into the hardware as Siri is. Apple also knows that rejecting the app will only create negative PR, and they have no reason to do so. Again, this is Google just trying to make Apple look bad.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'm sick of the "predictive" search on their website. Stop interpreting my wants, because you're wrong!
  • Reply 33 of 92
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Google Now is great tough.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    How is an Android tablet "more secure"?  

O.o

Thieves don't want them. So in that regard, you can use an Android tablet at 2 am in high crime areas and not get robbed.
  • Reply 35 of 92

Histrionics repeats itself, to paraphrase:
    Update: After Schmidt's comments began to gain attention, Apple provided a statement to CNet revealing that a rumored Google Now iOS application has not been submitted for App Store review.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Schmidt ... Probable the biggest lowlife in the tec world...
  • Reply 37 of 92
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

Quote:

We know this ... how?

You're right, it's just an assumption I've seen and that I assume is widely held.

• Reply 38 of 92

Eric talking out of his ass......AGAIN!!!!!

• Reply 39 of 92

Webster just announced a change to its dictionary.

Instead of a word description they now have a photo of Schmidt next to the word, "smarmy".

• Reply 40 of 92
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Quote:

Turned out to be the same again. Doesnt Eric Schmidt have any balls anymore?

Wait, he never had.