Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Asked whether iPhone and iPad users could expect to see Google's predictive search feature, Google Now, appearing on their devices, Google chairman Eric Schmidt insinuated that the company had already submitted such an app for Apple approval, but Apple has since indicated that the app has in fact not been submitted [updated].

Update: After Schmidt's comments began to gain attention, Apple provided a statement to CNet revealing that a rumored Google Now iOS application has not been submitted for App Store review.

Update 2: CNet has confirmed Schmidt's statement was false, reporting that a Google representative said, "Yes, I can confirm for you: We have not submitted Google Now to Apple's App Store."



In a lengthy interview at Google's Big Tent Summit, Schmidt was asked whether Apple had a problem with Google Now and declined to comment. When it came to when Google Now might show up on iOS, Schmidt hinted that the issue was out of Google's hands.

"You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't."

A predictive search feature that debuted on Android with the release of version 4.1 Jelly Bean, Google Now displays information that the system believes will be relevant to a user. Initially, the system featured integration with sports scores, weather forecasts, and stock market information, but it has expanded since its introduction to include information like flight reminders and possible events of interest.



Google is thought to be bringing the system to its Chrome web browser, and an alleged promotional video leaked in mid-March, showing the system running on iOS.

Later in the interview, Schmidt had some kind words to say regarding Apple, calling the iPhone maker "a tremendous technology innovator" right before turning around and recommending a Samsung tablet over the iPad as more scalable and more secure.

Schmidt was asked whether he preferred Amazon or Apple. After saying that, due to his time as a member of Apple's board, he had a soft spot for the company, Schmidt praised the Cupertino company for its leadership position in technology.

"Apple will continue to be a tremendous technology innovator and build beautiful products," Schmidt said, "regardless of the market share of the products, and that's a great strength."

He went on to reveal that he has both an iPad mini and an iPad, but that he prefers the full-size iPad because the mini is, to him, too small. The Google exec pivoted, though, to tout a competing product from one of Google's partners.

"But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure."
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    "But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure."


     


  • Reply 2 of 92
    The guy was drunk on his own shit.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    What a catty answer. Why not just say what the issue is? Don't trust him as far as I could throw him.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Apple will continue to be a tremendous technology innovator and build beautiful products," Schmidt said, "regardless of the market share of the products, and that's a great strength."

    That sounds like a reasonable comment to me.
    He went on to reveal that he has both an iPad mini and an iPad, but that he prefers the full-size iPad because the mini is, to him, too small.

    What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    More apps: Just a plain ole lie.
    More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?
    More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

    I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)
  • Reply 6 of 92
    jakebjakeb Posts: 557member
    There are definitely not more apps.

    What would it even mean for a tablet to be scalable? Is someone making a server farm out of tablets?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    spicedspiced Posts: 94member
    More "secured" .... my foot!
  • Reply 8 of 92
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.


     


    I thought that was strange, too, but obviously this comes down to personal preference. After all, Google made the Nexus 7 to avoid competing directly with the iPad. That doesn't mean Schmidt has to like that screen size.

  • Reply 9 of 92
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

    Quote:


    But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure.



     


    He could not possibly have said that. I hope. Has anyone watched the whole video? The only thing that could be interpreted as being true is "more scalable," but that is exactly what makes Android scaled up "tablet apps" so awful.

  • Reply 10 of 92


    Why this junk fellow has been talking nonsense?  Did some do black magic on him?  Or, whenever Sergey and Larry give him full bashing, he comes like this and talk  nonsense?  He is douchebag!  He is nonsense.

  • Reply 11 of 92
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?
  • Reply 12 of 92
    He does not know what he is saying. Techlatch.com
  • Reply 13 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post





    "You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't."


     


     


    AS IF THAT'S A BAD THING, eh?  A little thinly-veiled criticism from Herr Mole. 


     


    It's as funny as it is pathetic.

  • Reply 14 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member


    How is an Android tablet "more secure"?  


     


    O.o

  • Reply 15 of 92

    Quote:


    Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?



    It doesn't have to approve this app.  I hate this app on my iPhone or iPad.

  • Reply 16 of 92
    How does a 7" tablet have 40% less viewing space of a 7.85" tablet, if that was the case wouldn't it be more like the iPhone 5 has 40% less viewing space than an iPad mini.

    The GoogleNow issue is NO DIFFERENT than the Google Voice issue from 2011 when Apple did in fact BLOCK it from being allowed. This was a fact and was looked into. It magically was approved after a year plus delay. I suspect this will become magically approved as well once the DOJ, FCC, FTC and some Senator gets involved.

    If Apple can't compete,they sue, Apple doesn't want Google making money off of search so they block their apps as often and for as long as possible. SIRI sucks, lets have GoogleNow at least its NOT in beta.
  • Reply 17 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post



    Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?


    I see no reason why Apple shouldn't.


     


    Complicated apps -- especially those that require storing user data -- take a few weeks to review, so I am assuming it's no big deal.

  • Reply 18 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    I see no reason why Apple shouldn't.


     


    Complicated apps -- especially those that require storing user data -- take a few weeks to review, so I am assuming it's no big deal.



    Its not about time or implementation. Its about business.

  • Reply 19 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post



    How does a 7" tablet have 40% less viewing space of a 7.85" tablet, if that was the case wouldn't it be more like the iPhone 5 has 40% less viewing space than an iPad mini.



    The GoogleNow issue is NO DIFFERENT than the Google Voice issue from 2011 when Apple did in fact BLOCK it from being allowed. This was a fact and was looked into. It magically was approved after a year plus delay. I suspect this will become magically approved as well once the DOJ, FCC, FTC and some Senator gets involved.



    If Apple can't compete,they sue, Apple doesn't want Google making money off of search so they block their apps as often and for as long as possible. SIRI sucks, lets have GoogleNow at least its NOT in beta.


    go home schmidt, you are drunk.

  • Reply 20 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member
    Google Never for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.