Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    How is an Android tablet "more secure"?

Nobody will steal one. They can't even sell them at zero profit margin. (edit: noticed this was covered)

They might have more apps but it's pretty close:

http://www.imore.com/app-store-brought-35-times-more-revenue-google-play-2012

Plus Google Play has task managers and things. I don't like the 'more apps = better' marketing either of them use though. I'd rather have 10,000 good apps.

Scalability is debatable. Obviously none of the iOS apps scale automatically for the iPhone 5 so they should have allowed for that earlier. Google had no choice but to allow for it. As pointed out before though, scaling up just doesn't work beyond a certain point. You can imagine even using OS X on an 80" 4K display. Dragging across the screen would quickly become tedious. UIs have to be designed for their usage and Apple forcing developers into fixed sizes was one of the best things they did as far as the tablet market was concerned because it encouraged developers to not make the same UI for everything.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Why this junk fellow has been talking nonsense?  Did some do black magic on him?  Or, whenever Sergey and Larry give him full bashing, he comes like this and talk  nonsense?  He is douchebag!  He is nonsense.

...he is billionaire, he don't care.

• Reply 43 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?

The court case involving Apple in a class action over user privacy, will stop Google submitting it when Apple is forced to block Google from obtaining information about users at the order of the presiding Judge.

• Reply 44 of 92
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Schmidt talks like a politician: You know he's lying because he's moving his mouth.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Turned out to be the same again. Doesnt Eric Schmidt have any balls anymore?

Wait, he never had.

Heh ... I am the new Jim Dalrymple image

• Reply 46 of 92

Oh Eric ... now that someone HAS checked with Apple and they say it hasn't been submitted, what happens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Love that!

• Reply 47 of 92

I guess the scariest part of this is that he thought that this would not come out in the laundry.

• Reply 48 of 92
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What interesting about that is there are a lot of people that believe that Apple reversed some decision and decided to switch out Apple Maps for Google Apps as their default apps. My father was the first one to mention this to me and then he showed me the article he had read it. It was either a deliberately slanted article against Apple or it was sheer ignorance. It was so outside what is rational and sane that I can't even recall a single line from it.

That makes me think that Google's delay with releasing the App Store app and their comments leading up to it were all planned specifically as propaganda to get people to think Apple backtracked somewhere.

Never underestimate the power of FUD and LIES. It works.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

More apps: Just a plain ole lie.

More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?

More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)

What counts is that Schmidt won't be called out on any of this by the tech media, whereas Phil Schiller was castigated for similar questionable comments about Samsung/Android. Perception tumps reality every time and the tech media has a hard-on for Apple lately. I think it was Renee Ritchie who explained it best on one MacBreak Weekly podcast. People got tired of reading positive news about Apple so the jerk pundit universe switched gears to keep the clicks and views coming by printing bad news about Apple. Right now people are hungry for bad Apple news so the tech media is only too happy to supply it to them. People will get tired of bad Apple news eventually and the worm will turn again. Online tech journalists really are whores when you get right down to it.

• Reply 50 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?

What app? Google hasn't submitted the app in question yet. How can Apple approve an app that doesn't exist yet?

• Reply 51 of 92
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Thieves don't want them. So in that regard, you can use an Android tablet at 2 am in high crime areas and not get robbed.

Exactly.  That's why i see more local business are using Android tablets.  They told me it's for security.  I thought they were joking, but seems like it's true...

• Reply 52 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Exactly.  That's why i see more local business are using Android tablets.  They told me it's for security.  I thought they were joking, but seems like it's true...

So stop doing business with them.

When they ask why, tell them, "It's for security."

• Reply 53 of 92
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That sounds like a reasonable comment to me.

What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.

But they're also pimping a 10" model.   Has Eric mentioned anything about the Google Glass?  I haven't seen him wearing them around. Same thing as Page.  I wonder if those guys will only wear Google Glass for promo shots, but when people aren't looking they'll take them off and think that they are just some Geek Toy for Sergey and his group of worthless geeks to develop.

• Reply 54 of 92
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What app? Google hasn't submitted the app in question yet. How can Apple approve an app that doesn't exist yet?

They said the same thing before they submitted Google Maps too.  They SPECULATED that Apple was going to not approve it.   F Google.  I think they are just the scam geeks of the Century.  Good thing I don't pay them for any of their services.

• Reply 55 of 92

"If you have something that you want anyone to know you are submitting,  maybe you should be submitting it in the first place!"

• Reply 56 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Did everybody know that Eric's middle name is "Fullof"?

• Reply 57 of 92
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Based on his comments and leaked videos, it appears an app is being developed; Google would be nuts NOT to develop it for iOS. So my question was if folks here thought Apple would approve the app if submitted.

Obviously now we know it hasn't been submitted yet, but it appears that Google will at some point. Then it will be up to Apple. I hope they allow it, myself. If others don't want it, fine. Plenty of others do. I do.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wings wrote: »
    More apps: Just a plain ole lie.
    More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?
    More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)

Not to mention, of course, the fact that he lied about Apple blocking their app - when they hadn't even submitted it yet.

Can't wait for the Google shills to defend this.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    What counts is that Schmidt won't be called out on any of this by the tech media, whereas Phil Schiller was castigated for similar questionable comments about Samsung/Android. Perception tumps reality every time and the tech media has a hard-on for Apple lately. I think it was Renee Ritchie who explained it best on one MacBreak Weekly podcast. People got tired of reading positive news about Apple so the jerk pundit universe switched gears to keep the clicks and views coming by printing bad news about Apple. Right now people are hungry for bad Apple news so the tech media is only too happy to supply it to them. People will get tired of bad Apple news eventually and the worm will turn again. Online tech journalists really are whores when you get right down to it.

I agree. Schmidt will get away with his blatant lies and the media won't say a word.

Probably because they're making so much money on Adwords and don't want to jeopardize their search rankings.
  • Reply 60 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Did everybody know that Eric's middle name is "Fullof"?

Someday [likely soon] when AndyAndy leaves Google we might [possibly] hear the truth about when/why/who repurposed Android from a Blackberry competitor to an iPhone competitor...

Arguably, Google has benefitted little from the Android platform and, instead has sabotaged its relationships with Apple and Apple users.