Mid-sized smartphones like Apple's iPhone see most usage, 'phablets' a fad - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ssaqib2 View Post

In addition, maybe Apple should add thunderbolt…

That's what Lightning is for.

…therefore we can connect portable drives…

That's not gonna happen. Not until we start getting larger (screen) iPads, at least, and the laptops are gone.

iDevices do not have enough memory…

The idea is perpetually downloadable media somewhat mitigates the need for local storage for that. 

Cloud services are waste of money…

So use the free ones.

• Reply 22 of 68
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Apple should just make it so that all their iPads & Touch devices can make phone calls.

I would like this - I could see using the iPad mini as a speaker phone or via bluetooth (without the need to carry a cell phone also). 

• Reply 23 of 68
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Does this analysis also include the iPod touch, since it is pretty much an iPhone without the cellular chip? If not, as for tablet goes is the iPad cellular only counted. It wouldn't be a proper analysis if they include both the cellular and non-cellular iPads and not include the iPod touch.

In addition people aren't asking for an Apple phablet phone, phablets are pretty much useless, people want an iPhone >4in and <5in. The current iPhone screen is too small for browsing, playing games, and for iWork apps.

Just a random question, am I the only one who thinks it is weird that Apple made the phone 16:9 format and not the iPad, considering iPad with its larger screen is better suited for watching widescreen movies and TV shows.

I use my iPad for college a lot (though I still use my macbook more, due to programs like AutoCAD, Solidworks, MathCAD, etc for windows). I have friends with the iPad and a couple with the Samsung Notes. The pens are really nice but I would hate to work on a 16:9 for school. I wouldn't buy an iPad with 16:9. However, for movies 16:9 makes sense. But a little of math says the iPad has a little more screen area than a 10.1 note despite the smaller screen size ( 9.7vs10.1). If apple would just make a stylus for the iPad, I would stop concerning leaving the iPad in 3 years or so. (Currently have the iPad 2 since launch and it works just fine)

• Reply 24 of 68
    ssaqib2ssaqib2 Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I think the phone ratio is well suited to quick checking and perusing of updates, emails, texts, and quick browsing.  Have you had a chance to hold the Microsoft Surface yet?  It was incredibly awkward, and I never, ever want to browse the web on a vertical screen of those dimensions.  I wonder if some of the choice for the iPad size is related to weight and balance?  It certainly feels better to me in the hand than the Surface.

I never held a Surface, however I have an iPad 3rd gen and my dad has an iPad 2nd gen and a Kindle Fire HD 9in, it does not seem that bad. I just thought watching extra widescreen movies, >16:9, seemed annoying with thicker letterbox.

• Reply 25 of 68
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

I would like this - I could see using the iPad mini as a speaker phone or via bluetooth (without the need to carry a cell phone also). 

They did for the iPod touch. I forget what it's called though. Its a phone and Apple usually uses the letter "i" a lot......Oh wait, iPhone. That is it, iPhone.

• Reply 26 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As someone else said, it's no surprise that 5"+ phones don't show up as a big portion here, since they're not a huge portion of total smartphone sales.

Strange report.  Would rather have seen 3.5" and 4" broken out by themselves.

Agreed.

• Reply 27 of 68
    ssaqib2ssaqib2 Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's what Lightning is for.

That's not gonna happen. Not until we start getting larger (screen) iPads, at least, and the laptops are gone.

The idea is perpetually downloadable media somewhat mitigates the need for local storage for that. 

So use the free ones.

Lightening does not have enough bandwidth. Cloud storage are useless without internet connection, my university turns Wi-Fi off during school session. Cloud services are free for few gigabytes, not for half a terabyte.

• Reply 28 of 68

So Flurry discovered that by defining an overly broad category encompassing every popular touchscreen smartphone ever produced, it could conclude that this size category was the most widely used?  I hope somebody got fired.

• Reply 29 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Lightening does not have enough bandwidth.

What's it's bandwidth? What's 'enough'?

Cloud storage are useless without internet connection, my university turns Wi-Fi off during school session.

Your university is useless, then. What manner of stupidity is that?

Cloud services are free for few gigabytes, not for half a terabyte.

Free for all media purchased. Freeing up your device for documents.

• Reply 30 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm shocked, just shocked. The internet lead me to believe that a 5" phone that can't be manipulated with 1 hand and that can barely fit in most pockets is the "ideal" size that everyone is just clamoring for.

I know you're using sarcasm here, but have you actually seen many claims saying that 5" is the ideal smartphone size?  When people say that want something with a screen larger than that of the iPhone, a statement that I believe is your basis for the sarcastic remark, they don't mean you have to jump up an entire inch.  There are an infinite number of screen sizes in between 4" and 5".  The range I most often see referred to as the ideal screen size by reviewers who get to test all the important phones is somewhere between 4.3" and 4.5".

• Reply 31 of 68
    smallwheels said: We're just a few years away from smart phones completely replacing our regular work stations and laptops. I'm sure there are a few people for whom this has already occurred.

I just love reading comments like this. They're clearly made by people who don't actually use computers in their day-to-day work, because if they did, it would be abundantly clear that smart-phones and tablets are absolutely and entirely incapable of replacing workstations, desktops and notebooks for anything but the most simplistic of tasks.

I'll give you an example of how stupid this sounds. I have no idea what it takes to run a particle accelerator, but that won't stop me from saying "we're just a few short years away from smartphones completely replacing high power particle accelerators, in fact, for some, this has already happened".
  • Reply 32 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

smallwheels said: We're just a few years away from smart phones completely replacing our regular work stations and laptops. I'm sure there are a few people for whom this has already occurred.

I just love reading comments like this. They're clearly made by people who don't actually use computers in their day-to-day work, because if they did, it would be abundantly clear that smart-phones and tablets are absolutely and entirely incapable of replacing workstations, desktops and notebooks for anything but the most simplistic of tasks.

I'll give you an example of how stupid this sounds. I have no idea what it takes to run a particle accelerator, but that won't stop me from saying "we're just a few short years away from smartphones completely replacing high power particle accelerators, in fact, for some, this has already happened".

Monitoring a particle accelerator isn't a regular task.

• Reply 33 of 68

Quote:

For smartphones, including iPod touch, and tables to properly replace laptops, Apple needs to create a proper file managing app, and something like standard photo album app they have. In this app we can store all of our documents, drawings and PDF and all apps which use documents, drawings, and PDF should have access to. I personally use multiple productivity apps, and it is a pain to manage documents.

Just an opinion, let me know what you guys think. 

Apple doesn't want a file system or external card reader because it forces users to purchase larger capacity models.

An iPad with 16 GB would be enough to hold numerous programs and a card reader would allow people to store data conveniently. Apple could just have one size with or without cellular connectivity. Doing that would make less profit on the high capacity models but I think it would generate more sales over all. A file system would need to be created too. Are there any third party programs that generate a file system for iPads? I know there are already external hard drives designed to expand the capacity of tablets.

Of course one doesn't necessarily need to wait for an Apple tablet or smart phone to get these features. I love my Mac but I'm getting an Android phone with a 5.5 inch screen and a card reader. I want it for browsing the web and reading books on the go.

• Reply 34 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

Word processing; spread sheets, e-mail, presentations, accounting, and document storage are mainly what goes on in offices. Any smart phone made today could do those tasks very easily with the processors in them. Photo editing to some degree and even video editing are now done on smart phones and tablets. The computer chip in your smart phone is more powerful than numerous computers put together that ran the USA's space program in the 1960s. How is it that you can't fathom the idea that such devices in a few years could replace the computers on our desks today? 

• Reply 35 of 68
    I watched someone with a 6-ish inch Android phone and realized that they aren't using it as a phone, but a tablet. It's a tablet with a feature checkbox that says "is also a phone".
  • Reply 36 of 68
    macgurumacguru Posts: 35member
    Remember the first 20 years of cell phone usage. Consumers showed a clear preference for going smaller and smaller. Now this preference is being adjusted somewhat because of the internet and all the other stuff you can do on a cell phone. But still, the overriding desire is to have a smaller phone, not a bigger one. Apple could go a tad larger in the iPhone, but it's close to perfect just the size it is, as far as most people are concerned.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    I've seen a few being operated in the wild now. IMO, they're a niche product requiring two-handed operation, but popular with 'older folks' (50 ) because of the extra visibility and thumb-space of a larger screen. If Apple wants to move into this niche they could do better than the current crop by optimizing for two handed (two-fingered) operation with large, clear buttons and fonts on a 15cm screen (current iPhone being 10cm and iPad Mini being 20cm).
  • Reply 38 of 68
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Anybody else notice that there are the two most popular categories which apple has had for years(obviously excluding IPad mini)
  • Reply 39 of 68
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    [quote name="ssaqib2" url="/t/156750/mid-sized-smartphones-like-apples-iphone-see-most-usage-phablets-a-fad-report#

For smartphones, including iPod touch, and tables to properly replace laptops, Apple needs to create a proper file managing app, and something like standard photo album app they have. In this app we can store all of our documents, drawings and PDF and all apps which use documents, drawings, and PDF should have access to. I personally use multiple productivity apps, and it is a pain to manage documents.

In addition, maybe Apple should add thunderbolt or micro USB 3 to iPads, therefore we can connect portable drives to access our stored movies, pictures, tv shows, music, and documents. i devices do not have enough memory and I am currently using around 500GB on my laptop. Cloud services are waste of money, slow download and upload for large files, and no download without internet connection.

Just an opinion, let me know what you guys think. 
    [/quote]

There are wifi hard drives that are compatible with iPads. I have not tried one but it would be a solution for you. I agree the iOS should have a documents folder that could be used to store office docs, PDFs etc and allow you to choose which app you want to open them.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    macvicta wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned a phablet is anything in that 5 inch range, a la the Galaxy Note and now Galaxy S4. Anything 7" or above ain't no phablet, that's just a plain old tablet. So these numbers are all screwed up.

What graph are you looking at? It clearly classifies phablets as 5"-6.9" and anything that's 7"-8.4" is a small tablet.