Mid-sized smartphones like Apple's iPhone see most usage, 'phablets' a fad - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    ssaqib2ssaqib2 Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's it's bandwidth? What's 'enough'?

Your university is useless, then. What manner of stupidity is that?

Free for all media purchased. Freeing up your device for documents.

Talking about stupidity. Basically you are stating I should waste time downloading large files, and then delete them to make room for new files, and then download it again if I want to show those to my friends and family. At the same time if I am travelling or if I do not have Wi-Fi in general, I should waste my limited cellular data. As for free storage from Apple goes, only if I purchase my media from Apple, last time I checked I can purchase physical media for lower cost and extract it my iDevice. Cloud storage is inconvenient; it is ok for small files such as music and documents.

What is enough bandwidth? Are you still enjoying dialup internet, with 2g cellular data, with your original USB. I personally prefer advancement and I enjoy my high-speed internet, my 4g cellular phone with 4g data, and after using USB 3 my older external drives feel sluggish. Lighting was a bad idea, why change the successful 18-pin connection, then at lest they could have changed it for more successful micro USB 3 or thunderbolt, which Apple is trying to push only in their Macs.

And it really does not matter if my university enables internet during class or not, bottom line is cloud is useless without internet, with slow internet, downloading large files, or with limited cellular data. 

• Reply 42 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

[quote name="ssaqib2" url="/t/156750/mid-sized-smartphones-like-apples-iphone-see-most-usage-phablets-a-fad-report#

For smartphones, including iPod touch, and tables to properly replace laptops, Apple needs to create a proper file managing app, and something like standard photo album app they have. In this app we can store all of our documents, drawings and PDF and all apps which use documents, drawings, and PDF should have access to. I personally use multiple productivity apps, and it is a pain to manage documents.

In addition, maybe Apple should add thunderbolt or micro USB 3 to iPads, therefore we can connect portable drives to access our stored movies, pictures, tv shows, music, and documents. i devices do not have enough memory and I am currently using around 500GB on my laptop. Cloud services are waste of money, slow download and upload for large files, and no download without internet connection.

Just an opinion, let me know what you guys think. 

[/quote]

There are wifi hard drives that are compatible with iPads. I have not tried one but it would be a solution for you. I agree the iOS should have a documents folder that could be used to store office docs, PDFs etc and allow you to choose which app you want to open them.

Thanks, I have checked those out, I might consider it. However I was trying to have my files with me while I travel without the use of internet.  

• Reply 43 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I likewise enjoy browsing more on any device with the browser back button at the bottom, instead of the top. 

I'm confused.  Safari on iPhone has its back and forward button on the bottom left hand corner in both portrait and landscape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

[quote name="ssaqib2" url="/t/156750/mid-sized-smartphones-like-apples-iphone-see-most-usage-phablets-a-fad-report#

For smartphones, including iPod touch, and tables to properly replace laptops, Apple needs to create a proper file managing app, and something like standard photo album app they have. In this app we can store all of our documents, drawings and PDF and all apps which use documents, drawings, and PDF should have access to. I personally use multiple productivity apps, and it is a pain to manage documents.

In addition, maybe Apple should add thunderbolt or micro USB 3 to iPads, therefore we can connect portable drives to access our stored movies, pictures, tv shows, music, and documents. i devices do not have enough memory and I am currently using around 500GB on my laptop. Cloud services are waste of money, slow download and upload for large files, and no download without internet connection.

Just an opinion, let me know what you guys think. 

[/quote]

There are wifi hard drives that are compatible with iPads. I have not tried one but it would be a solution for you. I agree the iOS should have a documents folder that could be used to store office docs, PDFs etc and allow you to choose which app you want to open them.

I personally use Goodreader for this task.  You can store pretty much store anything in it and organize it how you want.  You can also use it to make your iDevice a wireless hard drive to transfer files to and from any PC on the same network.

• Reply 44 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ssaqib2 View Post

Basically you are stating I should waste time downloading large files, and then delete them to make room for new files, and then download it again if I want to show those to my friends and family. 

Sounds exactly like what you have to do now, even with a hard drive.

At the same time if I am travelling or if I do not have Wi-Fi in general, I should waste my limited cellular data. 

Nope, local storage.

What is enough bandwidth?

So basically you're complaining that the future, which will never be here, isn't here yet.

And it really does not matter if my university enables internet during class or not, bottom line is cloud is useless without internet, with slow internet, downloading large files, or with limited cellular data. 

None of these things have anything to do with Apple.

• Reply 45 of 68

Quote:

Sounds exactly like what you have to do now, even with a hard drive.

Nope, local storage.

So basically you're complaining that the future, which will never be here, isn't here yet.

None of these things have anything to do with Apple.

I am sure on my 2TB drive I do not have to delete files to make room for new files; it is only a quarter filled. I travel quite frequently and I use my iPad for everything, it is annoying to manage my lecture videos with small storage space on the iPad. It would have been great if we can connect our local storage directly to our iPad; therefore we would not have to rely on inconvenience of downloading files from the internet or carrying a bulky laptop. As for wired connection goes, if there was better tech available such as thunderbolt and micro USB 3 there was no need to use lightning. 

• Reply 46 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Apple should just make it so that all their iPads & Touch devices can make phone calls.

Totally agree with this.  Regardless of this survey, I feel the small tablet is definitely the future and that it will ultimately become the main entrant in the mobile touch-computer space.  The smaller phones *can* do a lot of things but you have to push them and you have to accept compromises all along the way.  The small tablet on the other hand is the perfect reader, perfect size for keyboard less typing, perfect size for browsing etc.

I found that at first, the iPhone was able to replace about half my computing needs, but when the iPad came out, it alone could replace closer to 70% or so and I used my phone less.  Now the iPad mini, it fills something like 80-90% of my computer needs and my iPhone has gone to being more like a 5% partner in the deal.  

If it weren't for the "answering phone calls" part, I would toss it immediately and just use the small tablet.  

Putting a phone in the tablets would necessitate doing some things that would make the carriers very unhappy and basically destroy their monopoly also which is something most have been waiting for years to happen also.  

• Reply 47 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Putting a phone in the tablets would necessitate doing some things that would make the carriers very unhappy and basically destroy their monopoly also which is something most have been waiting for years to happen also.  

Why would that be?  You would still need to use their networks (unless you are talking about voip which you can do with a tablet already).  Honest question.  I actually agree that Apple should do this.

• Reply 48 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

smallwheels said: We're just a few years away from smart phones completely replacing our regular work stations and laptops. I'm sure there are a few people for whom this has already occurred.

I just love reading comments like this. They're clearly made by people who don't actually use computers in their day-to-day work, because if they did, it would be abundantly clear that smart-phones and tablets are absolutely and entirely incapable of replacing workstations, desktops and notebooks for anything but the most simplistic of tasks.

I'll give you an example of how stupid this sounds. I have no idea what it takes to run a particle accelerator, but that won't stop me from saying "we're just a few short years away from smartphones completely replacing high power particle accelerators, in fact, for some, this has already happened".

You just come across like a computing "snob" of sorts when you say this though.  The fact remains that by far the majority of tasks that personal computers are actually used for can easily be done on phones and small tablets, and that it's actually easier to accomplish them on this hardware.  Thus, you know, the smartphone/tablet decimating the "regular" computer category across the world.  

The facts would suggest that your concept of what a computer is used for is actually a minority opinion, but then again, you probably knew that already and are at this moment basking in the glow of confirmation that yes, you are "special." 

Seems like a very complicated and backhanded way to fish for a compliment though.  image

• Reply 49 of 68
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

If it weren't for the "answering phone calls" part, I would toss it immediately and just use the small tablet.  

I agree, and I think a lot of people are with you on this.

Now this I don't understand.  We'd still need voice and data plans.   How would it make the carriers unhappy?    Thanks!

• Reply 50 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Why would that be?  You would still need to use their networks (unless you are talking about voip which you can do with a tablet already).  Honest question.  I actually agree that Apple should do this.

Sorry, I was assuming VoIP yes.  The reason being that phones and tablets are sold differently and that if you put a "regular" phone using cell technology in a tablet, then the carriers would see that as a phone, and try to sell it as a phone, necessitating a contract, etc. etc. 

You are right in that this may very well be the way they do it, but a much more flexible and revolutionary way to go would be to use VoIP, make it seamless, and make it actually work.  Skype and so forth are already pretty popular but they basically suck implementation-wise, so I was imagining Apple boldly entering into this field and "fixing" it, the way they have with other things.  

Perhaps that is the Apple of the past though.  They certainly don't seem to have the stomach for much that could be called "revolutionary" anymore.  image

Edit: I guess that isn't clear either.  The iPhone and iPad mini are indeed "revolutionary" products, but I meant that neither of them have actually "revolutionised" their respective industries.  I guess at the end of the day I'm really just champing at the bit to see the carriers knocked on their asses and put in their proper place.  

• Reply 51 of 68
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    What I find most interesting is how screen size is related to usage. Phablets represent only 2% of devices, but 3% of usage. Likewise full size tablets are 7% of devices, but 13% of usage. Both are obviously heavy users.
    Small tablets, on the other hand, represent 6% of the market, but only 5% of use and 4% of sessions. This seems counterintuitive until you factor in all the small tablets like Kindles that are primarily used for reading books.

I also find it interesting that the lines were drawn at 3.5" and 5.0". Most iPhone users consider the 4.8" GSIII to be a phablet. It's certainly a very different device than a 3.5" Android or iOS phone. I'd like to see 3.5" devices in a separate category than 4.0" ones and truly large phones like the 4.7" OneX or 4.8" GSIII in another category again.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

There is a whole range of options between 4" and a 5" or larger. I would be happy with any iPhone between say 4.5" and 5". 4.8" would be my preference though if I had to pick a number. If Samsung can make their new 5" S4 the same size as their 4.8" S3 surely Apple with their engineering prowess could make a very nice 4.5"  iPhone for practically the same size as the current iPhone 5 only slider wider. 

• Reply 53 of 68
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

Totally agree with this.  Regardless of this survey, I feel the small tablet is definitely the future and that it will ultimately become the main entrant in the mobile touch-computer space.  The smaller phones *can* do a lot of things but you have to push them and you have to accept compromises all along the way.  The small tablet on the other hand is the perfect reader, perfect size for keyboard less typing, perfect size for browsing etc.

I found that at first, the iPhone was able to replace about half my computing needs, but when the iPad came out, it alone could replace closer to 70% or so and I used my phone less.  Now the iPad mini, it fills something like 80-90% of my computer needs and my iPhone has gone to being more like a 5% partner in the deal.  

I can't really go running with the iPad Mini so a reasonably sized phone for my apps and music are kinda important. 

The bottom line, there no "perfect size". People have different needs and the various sizes reflect that. 

• Reply 54 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Sorry, I was assuming VoIP yes.  The reason being that phones and tablets are sold differently and that if you put a "regular" phone using cell technology in a tablet, then the carriers would see that as a phone, and try to sell it as a phone, necessitating a contract, etc. etc. 

You are right in that this may very well be the way they do it, but a much more flexible and revolutionary way to go would be to use VoIP, make it seamless, and make it actually work.  Skype and so forth are already pretty popular but they basically suck implementation-wise, so I was imagining Apple boldly entering into this field and "fixing" it, the way they have with other things.  

Perhaps that is the Apple of the past though.  They certainly don't seem to have the stomach for much that could be called "revolutionary" anymore.  :\

Edit: I guess that isn't clear either.  The iPhone and iPad mini are indeed "revolutionary" products, but I meant that neither of them have actually "revolutionised" their respective industries.  I guess at the end of the day I'm really just champing at the bit to see the carriers knocked on their asses and put in their proper place.  

And what exactly is the carriers proper place?
  • Reply 55 of 68
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Word processing; spread sheets, e-mail, presentations, accounting, and document storage are mainly what goes on in offices

Whose office is that? Not ours. Ours involves dozens of people all working in the same media management software simultaneously. The app includes scripts for every item, so it's typing intensive. I would humbly suggest that an iPad is less well suited to that task than a simple desktop computer.

I would also respectfully suggest that what you list as tasks do NOT actually represent the typical 21st century office. Sales people access inventory and contact management software, with some of the data sourced from suppliers. Medical office personnel access multiple interlinked databases, again, some internal, some not. Financial sector workers use proprietary management systems. I don't think there are many industries in which the old "word-processing and spreadsheet" model still exists.

Please note that I am not criticizing the iPad. I think it's an incredibly cool step. I just don't agree that, in its current form, it's going to displace a lot of conventional workstations.

• Reply 56 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssaqib2 View Post

[...] Cloud services are waste of money...

Quote:

So use the free ones.

There's no such thing. The storage may be free, but the data plan for transfer to and from it isn't.

His point about accessibility is also valid. My day involves extended periods with limited or no internet access (subway anyone?). I understand the concept and would love it if I never had to carry local files, but I don't think that vision is really viable yet.

• Reply 57 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzos View Post

I've seen a few being operated in the wild now. IMO, they're a niche product requiring two-handed operation, but popular with 'older folks' (50 ) because of the extra visibility and thumb-space of a larger screen. If Apple wants to move into this niche they could do better than the current crop by optimizing for two handed (two-fingered) operation with large, clear buttons and fonts on a 15cm screen (current iPhone being 10cm and iPad Mini being 20cm).

My take on it is similarly anecdotal and unscientific -- observing what people are using on the train to and from work, and the streets downtown (where everyone has their nose buried in a screen as they stroll aimlessly into traffic and bump into each other).

The 50+ set in my sample seem almost invariably to carry two devices -- a reader and a phone.

The majority of the phones are so far still iP4/4S but that margin is shrinking.

The segment that is growing is larger Android phones, most in the <5" range, mostly Samsung, then HTC.

I see very few iP5s. I thought that would change with time, but so far it hasn't.

I see more really BIG phones than iP5s, and they seem to be operated by 30-40 year olds who are doing actual work on them (as opposed to leisure activities).

I don't know how much you can conclude from a sample so small and geographically limited, but there it is for what it's worth.

• Reply 58 of 68

Not sure what conclusions you can draw.  Phablets are a relatively new form factor.  How many "Phablets" have actually been released?  I can only think of 2 (Samsung Galaxy Note & galaxy Note 2).   If you consider that the small screen size smartphones have been out much longer and have many more manufacturers and models the chart is not very surprising.  If anything I would be surprised phablets got as much representation as they did given the limited number of models and the relative short amount of time they have been around.

• Reply 59 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Whose office is that? Not ours. Ours involves dozens of people all working in the same media management software simultaneously. The app includes scripts for every item, so it's typing intensive. I would humbly suggest that an iPad is less well suited to that task than a simple desktop computer.

I would also respectfully suggest that what you list as tasks do NOT actually represent the typical 21st century office. Sales people access inventory and contact management software, with some of the data sourced from suppliers. Medical office personnel access multiple interlinked databases, again, some internal, some not. Financial sector workers use proprietary management systems. I don't think there are many industries in which the old "word-processing and spreadsheet" model still exists.

Please note that I am not criticizing the iPad. I think it's an incredibly cool step. I just don't agree that, in its current form, it's going to displace a lot of conventional workstations.

So basically the phones just need the right app to accomplish the things you're talking about. Bluetooth keyboards exist for iOS and Android phones and tablets. With the ability to plug into larger monitors, phones and tablets can become our computers, thus replacing conventional desk top machines.

Stores already have apps for inventory. Even Apple is using point of sale apps for their stores. Sales contact software for phones already exists. Cloud sharing of documents being worked on by many people already exist. I've been using Box.net for years where many people can collaborate on creating documents.

I don't think any phone has the computing power to do big scale movie editing but so what. That is a specialized task not a common office project. Having multiple scripts for whatever your multi-media production is about seems very specialized. Still, Box.net collaboration software might handle that and it's in the cloud. That company isn't unique in that field.

In a few years our phones will be our computers. I'm eager for that to happen. The intermediate step is tablets. They're almost there now. When storage is increased and file systems are implemented we'll be there. Oh wait! There is already a version of Ubuntu for phones and tablets. It needs work but it has those things now. .....Interesting!

• Reply 60 of 68
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    For people complaining about apple needing more memory in its devices, well there is something called time that helps, if you need it immediate(you claim that wifi is out of the question so) there always is another computer and a USB cord but for the future there needs to be a lighting port compatible portable harddrive.