Former Apple consultant: Apple's iPhone naming conventions send 'weak message'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 203
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    [B][SIZE=5]iPhoneS 4... iPhoneS 5... iPhoneS 6...[/SIZE][/B]

Seriously, It appears that Apple may be changing it's release cycle -- possibly releasing more than 1 update per year. If they do, the naming scheme could become more important!
  • Reply 62 of 203
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    Some great insight from a marketing guy. The "S" feels weird, it feels like a variant of the mainstream product. The public has been trained for decades that these monikers an improved variant, not a totally new product. Honda Accord LX, EX, EX-L are all trims of the same vehicles, with different equipment. Imagine Honda comes up with a new Accord LX for the odd years, and Accord EX for the even ones. Doesn't convey a very strong message.
    Your example forgets two very important Accord that does just this before model changes. The Accord (value Package) VP and the (Special Edition) SE adds special features that are not normally packages together for a year or two before designs changes.
  • Reply 63 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    An "S" version of the iPhone is traditionally a relatively minor upgrade.

That is not accurate which backs up this guy's claim. The 4S was a huge update over the internals of the iPhone 4. Same goes for the iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 3G. In fact, the single smallest change of the internals was the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G which had the same CPU architecture, just clocked higher.
  • Reply 64 of 203
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Business is slow? Say something negative about Apple!
  • Reply 65 of 203
    [B][I][SIZE=4]Problem Solved...[/SIZE][/I][/B]

It's so obvious... When you think about it...

Instead of incrementing the number for each new model... Decrement it instead!
  • Reply 66 of 203
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What bothers me about the naming convention is... Well nothing. I'm much more annoyed by the new mobile ads on this website that cause you to unintentionally trigger them while scrolling the damn page. (The page curl/overleaf ads)
  • Reply 67 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But I think it would be equally awkward if Apple had called the 3GS the "4," for example.

Least of which because it was the 3rd iPhone. image

Maybe it would make more sense to call the iPhones "the 2013 iPhone," "the 2014 iPhone," etc.

It would eliminate all confusion over the model year of each phone.  And it would make the current

model even more appealing.  Because really, who wants last year's phone?

Bingo!

The problem with attaching a model year to each iPhone is that Apple has only ever released iPhones in the

second half of the year.

Have the numbers be internal and for support documents only, just like their computer lines. Have the product sold, marketed as, and named "iPhone", regardless of the version. 

That solves that problem! 

Apple is still selling the "Early 2010" Mac Pro (okay, that's out of my system; it's really the "Late 2012", but who the FRICK considers "not an update" as an update?)… in 2013. But on the site and in all sales documentation, it's the "Mac Pro" only.

Also, *coughiWork'09cough* image

…perceived shelf life.  The last remaining 2014 Taurus at your Ford dealer won't be "last year's model"

until 1/1/15, almost a year and 9 months from now. 

Of course, that goes back to "perceived", as the 2015 models will be out in spring of 2014…

But would Apple move iPhone release to the beginning of the  year just to stretch each model's "freshness"?  

Extremely doubtful.

Agreed. There'd have to be some other change made somewhere for that to be justified.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is not accurate which backs up this guy's claim. The 4S was a huge update over the internals of the iPhone 4. Same goes for the iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 3G. In fact, the single smallest change of the internals was the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G which had the same CPU architecture, just clocked higher.

But but but but but but case design!

• Reply 68 of 203
    ...Or:

[B] [SIZE=4]IPhone MMVII - iPhone MMXIII [/SIZE][/B]
  • Reply 69 of 203
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    They don't send a "weak" message they send an accurate message. An "S" version of the iPhone is traditionally a relatively minor upgrade. This guy seems to like to over-market things which disappoints customers.
    Please explain how the 4S was a "minor upgrade" to the 4?
  • Reply 70 of 203
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    [quote]Apple is a company that prizes simplicity in nearly all things, but a former Apple adviser says the pattern the company uses to name its bestselling product is decidedly not simple and sends the wrong message about the iPhone. [/quote]

Sorry, but this is driving me nuts.

Apple is a company that values simplicity, not prizes simplicity.
  • Reply 71 of 203
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I guess for a lot of people no changes to the industrial design equals minor upgrade. Makes no sense to me but people really seem to be hung up on whether the phone looks different aesthetically. Unless were talking about Samsung, of course. The S4 looks just like the S3 but when it's released it will be hailed as the best phone EVER, not an incremental update.
  • Reply 72 of 203
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

The Fact of the matter is that the 4S improved almost every single internal part.  The only thing that did not get upgraded was the screen.  Even the case was changed for better cellular reception and to better work with the new "world phone cellular chip inside"  The processor went from an A4 with dual core graphics to an A5 with 3Core graphics, memory went from 512 to 1Gig, Camera from 4 element lens 5 mp to 5 element lens with 8mp and infrared active filter, and F 2.4 for better low light reception, from bluetooth 2.1 to bluetooth 4 with better audio capabilities, 4S got Siri, 3d Maps....... The point is I could go on to ad nauseum but litterally every single internal component was upgraded in one way or another.

Articles like this are absolutely BS  because they look at the phone and because the outside is similar they "ASSUME"  that it is a minor upgrade.  Hence  the term "when you assume you make an ass out of u and me".

Most people that buy products are a lot smarter than the guy who this article is talking with.  I certainly was please with my purchase of a 4S vs the 4 i had and do not regret the upgrade which was every bit as good as when i bought the 4 from the 3G. 

• Reply 73 of 203
    Sorry, but this is driving me nuts.

Apple is a company that values simplicity, not prizes simplicity.
    You know what drives me nuts? When Apple execs are touting how thin a device is but refer to it as "only x millimeters or inches thin, when they should be saying thick.
  • Reply 74 of 203
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You know what drives me nuts? When Apple execs are touting how thin a device is but refer to it as "only x millimeters or inches thin, when they should be saying thick.

Steve Jobs started that to make people concentrate on how thin the device is.  It was his way of getting people to focus on the "thinness" of the device instead of just saying it is x mm thick.  I think it is actually quite a smart marketing idea.

• Reply 75 of 203
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

This appears to be one example of where Apple could really take a page out of the book of others.

For example, Microsoft:

Windows 98

Windows Millennium 

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Windows 8 (Now with added confusion)

Now THERE'S a company that knows what they're doing with naming conventions!

Alternatively, there is Samsung... image

Brightside

Stellar

Rugby

Captivate

Victory

Stratosphere

Or, my own personal favorite, the George Lucas naming convention:

iPhone - Episode 1 (The Phantom Reception Menace)

iPhone - Episode 2 (Attack Of The Samsung Clones)

iPhone - Episode 3 (Revenge Of The Apple Legal Team), etc, etc...

Come on, Apple.

Get your act together.

• Reply 76 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess for a lot of people no changes to the industrial design equals minor upgrade. Makes no sense to me but people really seem to be hung up on whether the phone looks different aesthetically. Unless were talking about Samsung, of course. The S4 looks just like the S3 but when it's released it will be hailed as the best phone EVER, not an incremental update.

The Galaxy S4 has a dozen new poorly integrated features to put on a marketing spec sheet. That's how it goes in Androidia.
  • Reply 77 of 203
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

The author says that Apple has been tacking on an "S"... "every other model"...

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5

Unless I'm mistaken, they've only done this twice, so why the overblown reaction? Nobody knows what the next version will be called, but I think the "S" models are perfectly acceptable iterations of the existing model. Maybe a different monikor is needed, but not a full increment of the model number for every reason.

Next up... iPhone X, which runs a full blown version of OSX! :D

• Reply 78 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's neither the only nor the first to do that. And I like it. Normally it's used in the "get thinner to the point of anorexia" society, but that it's being made a focus in the consumer computing market (where, while the internal focus has always been on 'faster-smaller-cheaper', the external had been BEIGEBOXLOOKATMYHEAVYMETAL before Apple) is a pretty smart marketing move.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Galaxy S4 has a dozen new poorly integrated features to put on a marketing spec sheet. That's how it goes in Androidia.

Ooh, are we moving to the nation-state analogies now? Those will be fun.

• Reply 79 of 203
    coolfactor wrote: »
    The author says that Apple has been tacking on an "S"... "every other model"...

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5

Unless I'm mistaken, they've only done this twice, so why the overblown reaction? Nobody knows what the next version will be called, but I think the "S" models are perfectly acceptable iterations of the existing model. Maybe a different monikor is needed, but not a full increment of the model number for every reason.

Next up... iPhone X, which runs a full blown version of OSX! :D

iPhone Panther?
  • Reply 80 of 203
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one on Earth would tell you that it makes sense to call the 6th model of a product running the 6th version of its software on the 6th iteration of its processor "5".

Were it an Apple competitor, it would be still be mocked "six months out".

For goodness' sake, start thinking about this like a typical consumer rather than somebody who posts on an Apple enthusiast forum.

It wouldn't be mocked whether it was Apple or not, because 99% of the population doesn't know and doesn't care exactly how many phone models Apple or any other manufacturer has produced.

What would seem absurd to the general population is calling a product 'iPhone 6' when the last product was the 4S. People may have short memories, but they do know how to count to 6 without missing numbers out.

I don't believe that you can't perceive how the typical consumer would see a change from 4 to 6. Step out of the bubble.