Former Apple consultant: Apple's iPhone naming conventions send 'weak message'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Least confusing, and they SHOULD have done it on the iPhone, too.

With the iPhone there is a counter argument that rarely applies to Macs. When a new Mac model is out they almost always remove the old model immediately, but with the iPhone they have continued to manufacturer and sell as *new* the older models since the iPhone 3G. The iPad has been sold the same way since the original save for the iPad 3 which was immediately removed when the iPad 4 was introduced. That said, I don't see it as an issue but I can certainly understand why someone at Apple might take issue with it.
  • Reply 82 of 203
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

You know what they say: "Don't buy the first version of something, wait for a revision/update".

While between geeks like us we have to remind ourselves about it, the reality is that most consumers also have figured out the same thing by themselves. The second, improved version of something is usually the most popular.

There's a lot of people currently interested in the current iPhone 5 that will see the 5S as a bonus and a signal that the time has come for them to take a dive and buy an iPhone.

Apple also invests a lot of time and money in new manufacturing methods for the iPhone back casing, and they usually have problems keeping up with the initial demand because of low yields in the first model using this new process (like the iPhone 4).

It's not that they're bad at it, it's just that Ive seems to like to push the envelope in term of manufacturing precision using metals and unconventional techniques. Most other manufacturers just change the plastic mold for the back casing when they want to make a big generational change.

Because the iPhone 5 casing is now much easier for Apple to produce, they'll be able to launch the 5S in many more countries while still meeting demand, just like the 4S.

• Reply 83 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With the iPhone there is a counter argument that rarely applies to Macs. When a new Mac model is out they almost always remove the old model immediately, but with the iPhone they have continued to manufacturer and sell as *new* the older models since the iPhone 3G. The iPad has been sold the same way since the original save for the iPad 3 which was immediately removed when the iPad 4 was introduced. That said, I don't see it as an issue but I can certainly understand why someone at Apple might take issue with it.

Since the iPad 2 is still available, I'm just not sure I can agree with the "old models are confusing" theory anymore. Apple is fine with selling a "2" that is worse than a "  ". The iPad has proven that, so even the transition from numbered to unnumbered iPhones will be smooth. And then thereafter it's just three models of iPhone at different prices with slower to faster hardware.

• Reply 84 of 203
    b1gnb1gn Posts: 1member
    "Yeah, it's the most popular phone in the world. But you're doing it wrong!!!!!!"

Even if they went forward, imagine the backlash of people picking up the 'new' iPhone 6 which looks exactly like the iPhone 5. "WTF are they trying to pull, you can even tell a difference to the iPhone it replaces!!"

The S moniker communicates something important. The form factor is the same. But the stuff on the inside is different. I think the iPhone model names are accurate and communicate the changes to the customer. Unlike crap names like "ice cream sandwich" and "jelly bean".

Give me a break.
  • Reply 85 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Since the iPad 2 is still available, I'm just not sure I can agree with the "old models are confusing" theory anymore. Apple is fine with selling a "2" that is worse than a "  ". The iPad has proven that, so even the transition from numbered to unnumbered iPhones will be smooth. And then thereafter it's just three models of iPhone at different prices with slower to faster hardware.

1) Note that I said I can see why that would be an issue for some at Apple, not that I see it as an issue.

2) If the only differentiator of newer v. older was just the name then iPad 2 would seem to be newer than simply iPad, but lets remember the post-iPad 2 models have a Retina display which is highly marketed, highly desired, and very noticeable when you compare the two. But let's acknowledge they didn't step down to simply iPad for the 3rd and 4th gen models, but use The New iPad and iPad with Retina display, respectively.
  • Reply 86 of 203
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Steve Jobs started that to make people concentrate on how thin the device is.  It was his way of getting people to focus on the "thinness" of the device instead of just saying it is x mm thick.  I think it is actually quite a smart marketing idea.
    I get why they want to focus on thin, but using the word "only" already implies something is smaller, shorter, thinner, narrower, etc. than expected. If you were measuring something you wouldn't say it's 4 inches thin, just like you wouldn't say it's a 4 inches narrow, or someone is 6 feet short.
  • Reply 87 of 203
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I agree and disagree.  the iPhone 4S has been the best selling single model smartphone, so it didn't too badly. Sometimes I feel it's the model that should have been released as the next generation, but it wasn't ready in time.

From my point of view, I think if every generation release they would update all of the guts and offered it in 3 different screen sizes, and then pushed down the other models down in price.  That would give choices and keep up to date as to the processor, RAM, etc.

I think Apple should have released a 3.5 inch, 4inch and a 4.5inch or slightly larger and called them all the iPhone 5 and then designate mini, regular and pro models or something along those lines depending on the screen size. And maybe had a $50 or so price difference depending on the screen size.

• Reply 88 of 203
    euphonious wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">I don't believe that you can't perceive how the typical consumer would see a change from 4 to 6. Step out of the bubble.</span>
    hence Apple calling it iPhone 5. Just like they called the smaller iPad iPad mini and not iPad air or iPad nano. iPhone 5 and iPad mini were already ingrained in people's minds, so why confuse them with a different name? Plus wasn't the iPhone 3G the 2nd gen iPhone? Apple didn't call it iPhone 2 with 3G, or iPhone 2nd gen with 3G.
  • Reply 89 of 203

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

For goodness' sake, start thinking about this like a typical consumer rather than somebody who posts on an Apple enthusiast forum.

I am. And provided examples thereof. Why didn't you read my posts?

What would seem absurd to the general population is calling a product 'iPhone 6' when the last product was the 4S.

iPhone. iPhone 3G. 

HUH.

People may have short memories, but they do know how to count to 6 without missing numbers out.

"Where's the iPhone 2?! What happened to the iPhone 2?!" Said no one. Ever. It was called "iPhone 2" until the real name was revealed. Then everyone instantly got over it. Go look at news articles from the month before and the month after the 3G's launch.

• Reply 90 of 203
    Apple's neither the only nor the first to do that. And I like it. Normally it's used in the "get thinner to the point of anorexia" society, but that it's being made a focus in the consumer computing market (where, while the internal focus has always been on 'faster-smaller-cheaper', the external had been BEIGEBOXLOOKATMYHEAVYMETAL before Apple) is a pretty smart marketing move.
    no it makes zero sense. Do you ever hear short people say "I'm only 5 feet short?" Or if you're measuring something do you say it's x inches narrow? Or a pool is 12 feet shallow? Of course not.
  • Reply 91 of 203
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

no it makes zero sense. Do you ever hear short people say "I'm only 5 feet short?" Or if you're measuring something do you say it's x inches narrow? Or a pool is 12 feet shallow? Of course not.

Of course not, but it'd still be grammatically correct, no?

• Reply 92 of 203

no it makes zero sense.

So to specifically highlight the thinness of a product, we're supposed to use "thick"? How does that make sense?

• Reply 93 of 203

I am. And provided examples thereof. Why didn't you read my posts?

iPhone. iPhone 3G. 

HUH.

"Where's the iPhone 2?! What happened to the iPhone 2?!" Said no one. Ever. It was called "iPhone 2" until the real name was revealed. Then everyone instantly got over it. Go look at news articles from the month before and the month after the 3G's launch.
    Seriously dude no one gives a shit that iPhone 5 is really the 6th version of the phone. Just like they didn't care that the second version wasn't called iPhone 2. Just like no one cares that HTC went from the One X to the One.
  • Reply 94 of 203
    So to specifically highlight the thinness of a product, we're supposed to use "thick"? How does that make sense?
    That's what the word ONLY is for! One of the definitions for only: used for emphasizing that an amount, number, size, age, percentage etc is small or smaller than expected
  • Reply 95 of 203
    clemynx wrote: »
    Of course not, but it'd still be grammatically correct, no?
    Maybe but it sounds stupid to me. If Apple said the iPad mini is only 7mm thick I think most people would get that means its really thin.
  • Reply 96 of 203
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Face it his 3 minute of fame was over for a long time and nothing he said now make any difference.
  • Reply 97 of 203

Seriously dude no one gives a shit that iPhone 5 is really the 6th version of the phone. Just like they didn't care that the second version wasn't called iPhone 2.

You're making my argument for me.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe but it sounds stupid to me. If Apple said the iPad mini is only 7mm thick I think most people would get that means its really thin.

So people are "stupid" and "don't care", except where you need them to for your argument?

• Reply 98 of 203
    lukefrenchlukefrench Posts: 102member
    Porsche started the 911 in 1964. They still sell it under same name and never increased to 912.
    Is this a weak naming ?

More the S models are indeed off year models, improved but sharing common design, which is an important setup cost reduction. This is in fact one of the key advantages of Apple vs Samesung which spew a variant every quarter.

So Apple simply dont lie to its customers (at least on that important point), which is perhapa why satisfaction rates are tru the roof.
  • Reply 99 of 203
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

His argument doesn't make sense. We know that the models don't use years in the designation so what if they call it a 4, 4S, 5, or 5S. They still find plenty of buyers and have difficulty keeping up with demand. The jump from a 4 to a 4S was significant. I expect the 5S to be just as significant.

Maybe Apple just lays out what they bring in the numerical releases, and the S version is mostly a software polish version. Hence the "S".

Except in reality the 4 to 4S was as much an upgrade in hardware as it was an upgrade in software which sort of destroys your 'maybe' logic.

• Reply 100 of 203
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    They don't send a "weak" message they send an accurate message. An "S" version of the iPhone is traditionally a relatively minor upgrade. This guy seems to like to over-market things which disappoints customers.

Hahahahaha