Former Apple consultant: Apple's iPhone naming conventions send 'weak message'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 203
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I constantly hear people mention an iPhone "3". 

Really?  I mean, really?  I've never heard a single person refer to an iPhone 3, in person or in print.  I don't think this problem exists.

And even if it does, it's a historical problem.  Apple can't rename products they shipped 4 years ago, it's done and dusted.  So let's just move on, Apple have found a new naming scheme, and they look like they'll stick with it.  If they don't, well I'm sure we'll deal with that too, as long as it isn't daft.

This isn't a problem, and people need to move on.

• Reply 162 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    Really?  I mean, really?  I've never heard a single person refer to an iPhone 3, in person or in print.  I don't think this problem exists.

And even if it does, it's a historical problem.  Apple can't rename products they shipped 4 years ago, it's done and dusted.  So let's just move on, Apple have found a new naming scheme, and they look like they'll stick with it.  If they don't, well I'm sure we'll deal with that too, as long as it isn't daft.

This isn't a problem, and people need to move on.

Sure they did, just as people refer to various versions as iPhone 4G. It's either shorthand or just not knowing the proper nomenclature. You also hear people refer to the iPod Touch as an iTouch and refer to non-Apple products as iPods, iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 163 of 203
    It sounds clever.
    I am quite savy on buying new devices, and that is exactly how I feel when I pay attention to the little S. It's like a little voice in my head whispering "Wait for the next year".
    I didn't feel the same way when the 3rd-gen iPad was released, even though the processor couldn't handle the display - and eventually made the whole tablet slower than its predecessor in some areas. You see? Marketing. And you can always improve it.

Yeah, each iPhone outsells the previous one by a large number of reasons, but he has a point.
  • Reply 164 of 203
    jhende7jhende7 Posts: 62member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I am. And provided examples thereof. Why didn't you read my posts?

iPhone. iPhone 3G. 

HUH.

"Where's the iPhone 2?! What happened to the iPhone 2?!" Said no one. Ever. It was called "iPhone 2" until the real name was revealed. Then everyone instantly got over it. Go look at news articles from the month before and the month after the 3G's launch.

To say that's a poor example would be an understatement. Nobody cared that it went from iPhone to iPhone 3G, because at the time there was no established pattern or naming convention to compare it too. Secondly, the '3' was actually describing the of '3G' feature of the phone and had nothing to do with versions of the iphone. It's like calling it the iPhone LTE, or the iPhone NFC, or the iPhone Microwavablehotpizzapocket. Once you start creating a pattern like they did with the 3GS, 4, then 4S it stands to reason that when you break the pattern it will confuse people more.

At the end of the day i'm doubtful that the name of the iphone would ever have any material impact on sales, regardless.

• Reply 165 of 203
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can't believe this non-story has 162 comments. Wonder how much of that is the Tallest Ski iPhone 5 naming fetish he couldn't help but turn this thread into again. 

• Reply 166 of 203
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Out of left field, the next iPhone will be called the iPhone XP. Who the hell cares.

And then the iPhone Vista. I see what you're doing. ;-)

• Reply 167 of 203
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

How silly! It's about what I'd expect from a 'brand consultant' focused on image and illusions. It's shallow, ill-informed people talking about the views of equally shallow, ill-informed people.

Well, he is a brand consultant who was very highly paid by Apple.  A consultant who was taken seriously by Jobs and the rest of the Apple team.  Plus he is a lot more than a brand consultant, also having been a top level creative at Chiat Day.  I know most of you have no idea how ad agencies work or what the relationship is like between the agency people and their clients, but they are not ill informed.  They generally know everything there is to know about the product, the company, the people who work at the company and the targeted customers.  Chiat Day has been one of the top agencies for many, many years.  They tend to employ the most talented people in advertising.  Not surprising they have the Apple account.  Ken might be a little off on this point, but he generally knows of what he speaks.

• Reply 168 of 203
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Can't believe this non-story has 162 comments. Wonder how much of that is the Tallest Ski iPhone 5 naming fetish he couldn't help but turn this thread into again. 

I think about 15 of the comments are about how this non-story has so many comments.
  • Reply 169 of 203
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    The only weak message is calling your 6th device "5". That's just pre-kindergarten levels of stupidity.

I'm perfectly fine with the "S" monicker otherwise. 

And if he weren't a complete idiot, he'd realize that the "S" models are no more "identical to last year's but better" than any other product from any other company.

This is a forum troll being paid to troll and disguising it as a job. "It looks the same; it must be the same phone" is crap we delete these days.

TS, man... you have some anger management issues...

Average buyer doesn't read this forum. Or any other. He goes out shopping and for him, when he compares iP4 and iP4s, there really isn't much difference on a first glance. And first glance is often the only glance. They look the same and they have same name, period. A lot of people will not even catch that little "s". Some might think of it as something unrelated to performance, like network related difference.

It is not about educating people with healthy interest in technology. For most if not all people around here, Apple could call them all just "the new iPhone" and we would still know. But for people who care more about new 2013 Dodge Ram or Ford F-250 than about new smartphone, you should emphasize as much as possible that they are looking at brand new product.

Same about iPads, IMHO.
  • Reply 170 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But did they sell the 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th generation iPod Touches alongside each other, or did they discontinue them the day the others went on sale?

That's what I'm saying; they did that. I can't remember the 2nd gen, but I know they did 3 and 4 simultaneously, and now 4 and 5. 

• Reply 171 of 203
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well what is would they call it improved because that would be bad calling it that, making people believe it is just a different body.
  • Reply 172 of 203
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    welshdog wrote: »
    Well, he is a brand consultant who was very highly paid by Apple.  A consultant who was taken seriously by Jobs and the rest of the Apple team.  Plus he is a lot more than a brand consultant, also having been a top level creative at Chiat Day.  I know most of you have no idea how ad agencies work or what the relationship is like between the agency people and their clients, but they are not ill informed.  They generally know everything there is to know about the product, the company, the people who work at the company and the targeted customers.  Chiat Day has been one of the top agencies for many, many years.  They tend to employ the most talented people in advertising.  Not surprising they have the Apple account.  Ken might be a little off on this point, but he generally knows of what he speaks.

Suggesting that an ad agencies "know everything there is to know about the product, the company, the people who work at the company and the targeted customers" is a ridiculous statement. Perhaps ad agencies understand the products and target market much better than expected but certainly far from everything. I have worked with some of the top marketing personnel in my chosen industry and our own marketing team barely understood our product in any clinical or technical depth. In fact, in the entire industry there are probably a handful of people who understand our product at a clinical and technical level sufficiently to... write an entire set of marketing and engineering requirements from scratch.
  • Reply 173 of 203
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    A couple things come to mind while reading the posts by TS.

1) Apple already has "internal model numbers". Remember the 4 or 5 digit designations we always hear about when the rumors start? I would think those are what are used for "support purposes".

2) Prey tell, what should we call the 8GB iPhone "4" that was designed and produced at the same time as the "4s"? Which generation is that? If memory serves, it had the redesigned antenna, not just a storage decrease.

3) This is a bizarre preoccupation with something that bears little meaning in the real world. It's like arguing over the correct letter designations on any given incarnation of the starship Enterprise. It's all an illusion! There are multiple levels of indirection between a marketing name and the actual product, and rightly so. The number meant different things at different times - cry me a river!
  • Reply 174 of 203
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

1) Apple already has "internal model numbers". Remember the 4 or 5 digit designations we always hear about when the rumors start? I would think those are what are used for "support purposes".

To what are you referring? Every model of device they make has multiple reference names, both official and unofficial.

2) Prey tell, what should we call the 8GB iPhone "4" that was designed and produced at the same time as the "4s"? Which generation is that? If memory serves, it had the redesigned antenna, not just a storage decrease.

iPhone 4. Because it's the iPhone 4. What about it wasn't the iPhone 4?

3) This is a bizarre preoccupation with something that bears little meaning in the real world. It's like arguing over the correct letter designations on any given incarnation of the starship Enterprise.

"There are five lights." Lying in marketing is an illusion?

There are multiple levels of indirection between a marketing name and the actual product, and rightly so.

Why "rightly"?

The number meant different things at different times…

All the more reason to drop them entirely.

"Introducing the iPhone 5F. The F is for fingerprint." I can see no problem with arbitrary naming conventions¡

• Reply 175 of 203
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    First there will be the iPhone 5r for "rumors" and then the iPhone 5a for "anal-ysts" and finally the iPhone 5smb for "suck my .... "

• Reply 176 of 203
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But did they sell the 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th generation iPod Touches alongside each other, or did they discontinue them the day the others went on sale? I seem to recall it was the latter.

Pretty sure you're right - they were sold at the same time until the stock of the older version ran out.

• Reply 177 of 203
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member
    I can see where this guy's coming from, but I think he's wrong.

In my opinion, where it mattered to me, the upgrade to the 3GS was a bigger jump than to the 3G, and the same applied to the 4S : which is why I paid cash (i.e. no contract) for the top of the line 4S model on release and expect to do the same for the 5S.

Mind you these devices are becoming so powerful (with a longer useable lifespan) that I would have a hard time justifying upgrading from the 4 or the 4S if I wasn't a developer.

• Reply 178 of 203
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    aderutter wrote: »
    I can see where this guy's coming from, but I think he's wrong.

In my opinion, where it mattered to me, the upgrade to the 3GS was a bigger jump than to the 3G, and the same applied to the 4S : which is why I paid cash (i.e. no contract) for the top of the line 4S model on release and expect to do the same for the 5S.

Mind you these devices are becoming so powerful (with a longer useable lifespan) that I would have a hard time justifying upgrading from the 4 or the 4S if I wasn't a developer.

Good post.

And don't forget... not every iPhone that is sold goes home to an existing iPhone owner who is upgrading.

Apple sold an average of 500,000 iPhones every day last quarter. I suspect a hefty amount of them were sold to new iPhone owners.
  • Reply 179 of 203
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Oh, yes. iPhone + One Number + One familiar letter that indicates an upgrade to the number.

So 'weak.'

Vs:

Samsung Captivate Vibrant 2 G2 3D

Motorola Liquid Neo S II G2

HTC Atrix Slide X V Z

LG Hero Neo Prime

HTC Motivate Incredible 2 Pro

Samsung Magic Neo Pro V 4G

Uh... What?

'iPhone 5S'

People want simple.

(Yes those are made up Android phone names, but who would know the difference?)

• Reply 180 of 203
    apple is respecting people, they dont need marketing gimmicks.. the s moniker is saying that it is not a new model design, but rather a speed bump, much like porsche and other car makers do. simplicity (and honesty) rules, point apple