Apple reportedly discussing deeper Yahoo service integration for iOS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was reported on Tuesday that Apple and Yahoo are reportedly in talks regarding how to better integrate the search company's various services into iOS, building on existing features like sports scores and weather information.

While Apple already uses data from Yahoo Finance, weather and sports stats to power various first-party apps, including its Siri virtual assistant, sources tell The Wall Street Journal that the two companies are looking to expand their partnership.

Yahoo on iOS
Examples of Yahoo data on iOS.


According to a person familiar with the discussions, data from Yahoo News and other Yahoo Web properties could be "preloaded" onto Apple's iOS devices, with much of the focus being directed toward Siri functionality. Currently, Yahoo's presence on iOS is limited to the Stocks app, the Weather app, a search option in mobile Safari and sports scores as accessed through Siri.

The Journal points out that no concrete deals have been made and the talks are still their early stages.

Although speculation, Apple could potentially be looking to further deprecate Google integration in iOS, replacing existing services with those from Yahoo. With iOS 6, Apple made clear that it is looking to expel Google from first-party apps, as the company deprecated the search giant's data from the Maps app and removed the built-in YouTube app, both of which were iOS mainstays since 2007.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 2 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,251member
    Maybe if Apple bought Yahoo they could make quite an interesting future together.

    iYahoo?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well Jony and Marissa are BF now so maybe that's how this got started. ;)

    [images]

    Would you say they're deeply integrated?

    Maybe if Apple bought Yahoo they could make quite an interesting future together.

    iYahoo?

    I think Apple is better off partnering with them. I would like to see Yahoo! make a comeback, especially at the hands of Mrs. Mayer.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Apple didn't ditch YouTube to spite Google (as it did with Maps). Google wasn't interested in providing videos without ads, and terminated its iOS deal in order to launch its own YouTube app.

    It's also noteworthy that Yahoo is on Apple's short list of internet accounts (with Gmail, MS Exchange & AOL) and sharing services in OS X (which includes Yahoo's Flickr but not Google Picassa, and Vimeo but not YouTube, Facebook & Twitter but not G ).

    OS X & iOS 6 don't currently allow 3rd parties to add support for their own "sharing sheets." This may change this year as the system matures, or it may be Apple's way of pushing exclusive support agreements.

    Compare the fact that Apple lets Safari users search via Google, Bing or Yahoo but not any other search engine of their choosing (and Google pays Apple millions for this traffic).
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Would you say they're deeply integrated?
    lol I don't know but the look on Mrs. Ive's face is...interesting. :p
  • Reply 6 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    …(and Google pays Apple millions for this traffic).

    The last report I heard was Google paying Apple an estimated $1 billion per year going forward.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Has Apple not learned from Tom-Tom that partnering up with second-rate companies does not make for a first rate product? The only time Yahoo was relevant was back in the day when it used Google as its search engine. Now it's just rehashed news and the birthplace of trolls sadly.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple didn't ditch YouTube to spite Google (as it did with Maps). Google wasn't interested in providing videos without ads, and terminated its iOS deal in order to launch its own YouTube app.
    god I hate the YouTube app now. Every time I pull a video up I have to wait 5 seconds to skip an ad. I also hate that there's no volume controls on screen, nor the ability to go back or forward 30 seconds.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Has Apple not learned from Tom-Tom that partnering up with second-rate companies does not make for a first rate product? The only time Yahoo was relevant was back in the day when it used Google as its search engine. Now it's just rehashed news and the birthplace of trolls sadly.
    I use Bing search engine quite a bit and I don't find it lacking compared to Google. Partnering with Apple would force Yahoo to get better.

    What blows my mind is how many people seem perfectly fine with (or even want) Google to have a monopoly when it comes to services. People whine and moan about how important competition is except when it comes to Google. Very hypocritical.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    god I hate the YouTube app now. Every time I pull a video up I have to wait 5 seconds to skip an ad. I also hate that there's no volume controls on screen, nor the ability to go back or forward 30 seconds.

    What's the benefit of the app over the web browser? I've never installed the YouTube app and can't recall having a problem with it.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What's the benefit of the app over the web browser? I've never installed the YouTube app and can't recall having a problem with it.
    I've never had luck getting high quality video using YouTube on Safari. Google maps doesn't work for me on Safari either.
  • Reply 12 of 40


    I don't like Google proper, but their Search is superior to Bing and Yahoo. Perhaps it's just my familiarity with Google Search.


     


    However, if Apple and Yahoo try something, I will give it a go.


     


    Again, I dislike everything Google.


     


    :)

  • Reply 13 of 40
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 631member
    Mrs Meyer is pretty awesome. If anyone could turn around Yahoo it would be her.
    That being said, I would like to be able to use DDGo as my default search. Maybe this year we will be able to.
    Not a big fan of using a separate app for everything.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well Jony and Marissa are BF now so maybe that's how this got started. ;)

    [images]

    Would you say they're deeply integrated?

    Maybe if Apple bought Yahoo they could make quite an interesting future together.

    iYahoo?

    I think Apple is better off partnering with them. I would like to see Yahoo! make a comeback, especially at the hands of Mrs. Mayer.

    I think I agree...

    My exposure dates back to 1997 when I did web sites -- and tried to optimize them for various search engines...

    I always admired the pros who were comfortable referring to themselves as 'Yahoos', doing an excellent job and having fun in the process.

    Currently, I use Siri a lot for sports (provided by Yahoo) and it works extremely well. I can sit in front of a blaring TV (with grandkids arguing in the background) -- press the home button my iPad and say things like:
    • "NBA Today"
    • "NHL Standings"
    • "Lakers Game"

    Almost without fail, I get the results I want!


    Siri "The Lakers were defeated by the Clippers last Sunday; the score was 109-95."
  • Reply 15 of 40
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

    Almost without fail, I get the results I want!


    Siri "The Lakers were defeated by the Clippers last Sunday; the score was 109-95."

    I wanted that result too.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    quinney wrote: »

    Almost without fail, I get the results I want!


    Siri "The Lakers were defeated by the Clippers last Sunday; the score was 109-95."

    I wanted that result too.

    No! I have been a [Minneapolis] Laker fan since 1949... My fav player, this year is Westbrook of the Thunder... Would trade Kobe for him!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member


    despite how deep inside that chick Ive might be, still a bad idea, yahoo is over.

  • Reply 18 of 40
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    zozman wrote: »
    despite how deep inside that chick Ive might be, still a bad idea, yahoo is over.

    I can remember, not too long ago, when Apple was over...
  • Reply 19 of 40
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post



    Has Apple not learned from Tom-Tom that partnering up with second-rate companies does not make for a first rate product? The only time Yahoo was relevant was back in the day when it used Google as its search engine. Now it's just rehashed news and the birthplace of trolls sadly.


    That's a pretty good description... for now.  But I think changes may be afoot.

  • Reply 20 of 40
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    I use Bing search engine quite a bit and I don't find it lacking compared to Google. Partnering with Apple would force Yahoo to get better.



    What blows my mind is how many people seem perfectly fine with (or even want) Google to have a monopoly when it comes to services. People whine and moan about how important competition is except when it comes to Google. Very hypocritical.


    I've tried Bing.  Maybe it's bad luck, but I never seem to get a decent result.  I give Bing a serious try about every year and so far its been meh.


    Google is free and gives me the best results.  Why not use it?

Sign In or Register to comment.