Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results

Comments

• Reply 41 of 400
    It appears everyone is missing this statement, "The company, which makes energy and audio chips, notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus." The emphasis should be on "migrates to a newer component," not reducing orders for existing component because of poor sales. I guess analysts don't read.
  • Reply 42 of 400
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

This just reeks of someone manipulating the market.

It's hard to manipulate a market for 6 straight months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My guess is if the quarter isn't great (even if it meets or exceeds wall streets lower expectations) there will be calls for Cook's head. I think it was a big mistake for Apple to go 6 months (or possibly longer) without any new product announcement. Now maybe that wasn't the plan and things are delayed (as we've heard rumors about). But still the silence creates a vacuum and its being filled with a lot of negativity that is driving the stock down. That also impacts the way the media reports on Apple which in turn affects the public perception of the company. Cook told Goldman Sachs that Apple "doesn't have his head in the sand" but I think there are enough out there thinking the exact opposite right now. Hence the stock being at a 52 week low.

Doesn’t actually matter if Cook has his head in the sand or not, their perception is your reality. The market takes the void Cook creates, and drums it up as if everything is wrong with Apple. Besides, the consensus estimate has it that Apple will report below guidance this quarter, and issue terrible guidance for next. For a company where analysts have to outbid themselves on raising price targets, to this! Cook fails Investor Expectation Management 101.

• Reply 43 of 400
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I think that iOS7 should have come out last year…

And how could that magically have been achieved, eh? How do you release the 7th version of something before the 6th comes out?

That's such a good joke setup, but please try to stick to something sane when replying.

…a lack of any big iOS update…

WHAT "lack"?!

Everyone else has caught up…

Shut up.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Opportune time for Apple to buy back their stock though.

Yep. All of it.

• Reply 44 of 400
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. All of it.

380 Billion? Where are they going to get the cash to do that?

• Reply 45 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Unreal. Just unreal. I don't even know what to say anymore. Just mind-blowing how a blip of a rumor makes Apple sock plummet. Why the **** does this not happen to any other company?

Because the stock is now an option trader wet dream and not valuated on fundamentals ?

There is a tremendous chorus of bad mouthing from those who play against the naïve investors and against Apple and it wont stop anytime soon.

However as Apple has no debt, there is few risks for them, so the day the shorts capitulate, they are in  for a very bad mauling. Fundamentals always win in the end and Apple ones are fabulous.

• Reply 46 of 400
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

The old announced repurchase plan was very limited and Apple has been silent on doing anything more with their piles of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mindshare needs to massaged from time to time if you want it to grow.

Beautifully worded, and it captures my frustration exactly. I thought Apple was aware of this.

• Reply 47 of 400
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Unreal. Just unreal. I don't even know what to say anymore. Just mind-blowing how a blip of a rumor makes Apple sock plummet. Why the **** does this not happen to any other company?
    To be fair the market overall is down today, and then lump that in with Cirrus comments you get a really down day,

Might be that these days Apple's secrecy is hurting it. Haven't had a product announcement for 6 months or so. All we got from Cook is the pipeline is full of stuff. Other than that silence. And silence has allowed the vultures to circle and declare Apple out of ideas and in a downward spiral. Unfortunately Cook doesn't seem to be able to calm investor/market fears. My fear is the expectations will be so high for iOS 7 and other products coming out (since everything seems to be delayed into the second half of the year) Apple won't be able to meet or exceed them.
  • Reply 48 of 400

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

380 Billion? Where are they going to get the cash to do that?

At the rate the stock's going, they'll match their cash in roughly another year and a half. image

After that, all they have to worry about is continuing to make amazing products and flipping the bird at idiots.

• Reply 49 of 400
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,922member

Who really gives a shit about the stock price...I just want Apple to be Apple. 

• Reply 50 of 400
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What Apple needs are Amazon-like results to turn the stock around¡

Amazon may not be making a lot right now, but they are investing every penny they have for future growth.  Apple sits on their cash and has no idea where to put it, which is why Amazon is given a pass, at least they are trying.

• Reply 51 of 400
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member

Quote:

That's where Jobs excelled. If all the stories are to be believed, Jobs was constantly on the phone harassing and haranguing reporters and others who either misreported or denigrated Apple in any way, shape or form. Does Tim doe this? You have to view your company as more than just a company. Jobs treated Apple like it was his very life.

That's completely unfair. No, Tim probably doesn't do this, but if he tried he would probably fail spectacularly. Tim is not Steve Jobs, and expecting him to emulate all of Jobs tactics is just ridiculous and unfair. You can't just expect someone to take on all the characteristics of the previous leader, especially when "harassing" people depends on certain character traits that Tim may not have. Apple released and updated a massive amount of shit last quarter, more than any other quarter in there history, and I think reasonable people should have the patience to wait a few months for something major. There's clearly ALOT of stuff going behind the scenes, and Apple will remain silent until that stuff is 100% ready to be shown off or be released. Yeah, Google makes a shitload of noise by showing off products in development, but that isn't Apple, and should never be. People have reached such an insane level of OCD, and would prefer Apple make rash moves that may not be clearly thought out simply so they can have their entertainment fix. 

Apple has shown that it's in this for the long haul. All it's decision are based on the long term, which is why they're not as quick to try to impress for the short term with snazzy stuff like other companies, stuff that history has shown can wither and die quickly. It's next moves are critical, Apple knows this, especially because of the massive userbase they have ammassed with iOS devices. Making changes to a platform used and enjoyed by 400+million people is not a trivial task, and a million considerations need to be made with every change. They're making this software and these devices for the world, not for tech geeks, Apple fans, or people who peruse tech blogs 50 times a day. The best thing Apple can do now is what they've always done- ignore the stock, focus on your roadmap and announce things when they're ready to be announced. Stock cannot be a driving factor of company strategy, and chasing it will lead nowhere. One can only hope that the stock responds to great products and great performance. 

• Reply 52 of 400
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

After that, all they have to worry about is continuing to make amazing products and flipping the bird at idiots.

Yeah, the idiots that actually invested in AAPL.

So Apple is manipulating the market to drive down the share price in order to repurchase all the outstanding equity. Sounds reasonable... /s

• Reply 53 of 400
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    It's hard to manipulate a market for 6 straight months.

Doesn’t actually matter if Cook has his head in the sand or not, their perception is your reality. The market takes the void Cook creates, and drums it up as if everything is wrong with Apple. Besides, the consensus estimate has it that Apple will report below guidance this quarter, and issue terrible guidance for next. For a company where analysts have to outbid themselves on raising price targets, to this! Cook fails Investor Expectation Management 101.
    I'm as big an Apple fan as any but often times perception becomes reality and I think we're witnessing that right now with Apple. And it seems Cook, Oppenheimer and Schiller don't seem to know what to do about it.
  • Reply 54 of 400

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Apple… …has no idea where to put it…

Which you know, because you're… ?

• Reply 55 of 400
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cranstone View Post

Question: What drives a stock price? 

Answer: Growth

That's just false on it's face. No one can really pinpoint what drives particular stock fluctuations, up or down. It's certainly not just "growth". There's clearly no single formula that is applied to all stocks. Compare Apple vs Amazon vs Google vs Microsoft. There's no consistency in how the market treats any of them.

• Reply 56 of 400
    I think tonight AAPL will lose at 399.95-99 . Just to scare those pigs .
  • Reply 57 of 400
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

Such a thoughtful comment-     Which FACT is wrong ?   

• Reply 58 of 400
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    evilution wrote: »
    So, Apple is dumping Cirrus and going elsewhere for their chips, Cirrus sell less chips and Apple stock falls.

No, I don't think this is the reason for the price drop. 

Read the report. "lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus."

So Apple isn't even dumping Cirrus. They've upgraded to a newer component from Cirrus (which is probably better for Cirrus in the long run). So there's absolutely nothing in there that suggests that there's bad news for Apple. The only bad news for Cirrus is that they had too much inventory and had to write some of it off.
    gwmac wrote: »
    <p style="margin-bottom:15px;font-size:14px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;">[SIZE=14px]Apple's stock has been in a downward spiral for a while. Valuation is always about the future. The future is the only thing that matters. Since the release of iPhone 5, the market has started to question the future of Apple as the world’s leading innovator.

If that's the reason, then the market is made up of idiots. Apple's cash adjusted PE is around 6 right now - about 1/3 the market. So if Apple simply drops to growing at the rate of the rest of the market (i.e., GDP growth rate), then the stock is only at 1/3 of it's proper value.

Agreed. Start buying shares like crazy at $400. Even at $500 or more, it's a great buy.
  • Reply 59 of 400
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, the idiots that actually invested in AAPL.

Pretty ridiculous statement, considering that AAPL - even at $400 - has outperformed most stocks in the short term. It's also typically shortsighted. Sure, if you bought at $700 and now look at the share value then you're gonna feel bad if you're looking at the short term. If you, however, purchased at $150-$300 then the stock still looks very good ... especially if it's a long term investment. Everything going on right now is just a bunch of hedge funds and day traders trying to minimize their short term loss. They've never been AAPL investors. Anyone who thinks AAPL, generating cash at the rate they generate it, growing marketshare and unit sales with all of their latest releases, and a track record of reinventing markets is a bad long term investment is the idiot.

• Reply 60 of 400
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Because other companies are not run by arrogant dicks and actually talk to their investors?