Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results

Comments

• Reply 61 of 400
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This just reeks of someone manipulating the market.

Opportune time for Apple to buy back their stock though.

Boy howdy!
  • Reply 62 of 400

"who really cares about apple's share price"?

apple investors

• Reply 63 of 400
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Sorry guys, but the fundamental of Apple have not changed and I think that the bottom has been reached for many reasons. It might fall a little more but I think it is a buy right now and I bought it. I think we will see $50 gains after the quarterly report....

Hope I was right...
  • Reply 64 of 400
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

^THIS!^

Criticism based on reality I'd appreciate. But when basic FACTS are wrong, irritating clickbait junk.

Wow-  a little sensitive aren't we-    

Do the Math and tell us which basic FACT is Wrong.  Otherwise,  last I checked-  $54  Billion is Larger than $46 Billion and 14 weeks

is greater that 13 weeks.  

• Reply 65 of 400
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Amazon may not be making a lot right now, but they are investing every penny they have for future growth.  Apple sits on their cash and has no idea where to put it, which is why Amazon is given a pass, at least they are trying.

I invite everyone to look ar this shrieking, hysterical infantilism.

Amazon is investing every penny for future growth . . . at least they are trying . . .

vs.

Apple sits on their cash and has no idea where to put it . . .

This person should be fired as a troll for losing his grasp of mature discourse.

By the way, he's back from lunch. I said I would ignore him when he trashed the other thread, but this specimen is too easy a target.
  • Reply 66 of 400
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Pretty ridiculous statement, considering that AAPL - even at $400 - has outperformed most stocks in the short term. It's also typically shortsighted. Sure, if you bought at $700 and now look at the share value then you're gonna feel bad if you're looking at the short term. If you, however, purchased at $150-$300 then the stock still looks very good ... especially if it's a long term investment. Everything going on right now is just a bunch of hedge funds and day traders trying to minimize their short term loss. They've never been AAPL investors. Anyone who thinks AAPL, generating cash at the rate they generate it, growing marketshare and unit sales with all of their latest releases, and a track record of reinventing markets is a bad long term investment is the idiot.

If you have held the stock for a decade, sure. However, in the last 1.5 years, the stock is flat, while the market is up 30%. The last 1.5 years roughly corresponds to the post-Jobs era, which is why people (myself included) are so worried.

• Reply 67 of 400
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

I think tonight AAPL will lose at 399.95-99 . Just to scare those pigs .

Definitely looks like it has some support around $400. That one dip below was triggered by a 750K share sell. It is hard to deal with a million share sell at the opening bell. We'll see what happen after hours and in the other indices overnight. 

• Reply 68 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I invite everyone to look ar this shrieking, hysterical infantilism.

Amazon is investing every penny for future growth . . . at least they are trying . . .

vs.

Apple sits on their cash and has no idea where to put it . . .

This person should be fired as a troll for losing his grasp of mature discourse.

By the way, he's back from lunch. I said I would ignore him when he trashed the other thread, but this specimen is too easy a target.

Your response is a playground  taunt: "did not!" Why don't you explain where jdnc123 is incorrect (I, for one, tend to agree with him).

• Reply 69 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Sorry guys, but the fundamental of Apple have not changed and I think that the bottom has been reached for many reasons. It might fall a little more but I think it is a buy right now and I bought it. I think we will see $50 gains after the quarterly report....

Hope I was right...

I hope so too.

• Reply 70 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Read the report. "lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus."

So Apple isn't even dumping Cirrus. They've upgraded to a newer component from Cirrus (which is probably better for Cirrus in the long run). So there's absolutely nothing in there that suggests that there's bad news for Apple. The only bad news for Cirrus is that they had too much inventory and had to write some of it off.

If that's the reason, then the market is made up of idiots. Apple's cash adjusted PE is around 6 right now - about 1/3 the market. So if Apple simply drops to growing at the rate of the rest of the market (i.e., GDP growth rate), then the stock is only at 1/3 of it's proper value.

Agreed. Start buying shares like crazy at $400. Even at $500 or more, it's a great buy.

Yes, you are MUCH smarter than the entire investing community.

• Reply 71 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

I think tonight AAPL will lose at 399.95-99 . Just to scare those pigs .

Which pigs?

• Reply 72 of 400
    Question: What drives a stock price? 

Answer: Growth

Apple's days of explosive growth are over. None of us 'need' another screen and while an iPad or iPhone might be a must have, adding another TV screen to the house is not going to happen anytime soon. And if so, people will not be buying 5 of them. Apple is now trading like Microsoft - as a mature stock. 

Remember there are 4 stages to a company:
    1. Think it up
    2. Scale it
    3. Milk it
    4. Think it up

Apple is now at Step 4. When it thinks it up and then scales it the stock will respond. Until then there are better bets for making money versus saying 'i'm holding a stock that is going down'. Smart investors don't do that until it hits the bottom and it hasn't hit it yet.

I thought it was "write 3 letters".
  • Reply 73 of 400
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I think we will see $50 gains after the quarterly report....

That could happen. But it could also go the opposite way, as we've seen in recent earnings reports. The market doesn't always react in a rational manner. You'd think that it was made up mostly of mental patients and lunatics with spare cash.

Also, it will be interesting to see how the market reacts to Apple's brand new method of reporting earnings.

• Reply 74 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At the rate the stock's going, they'll match their cash in roughly another year and a half. image

After that, all they have to worry about is continuing to make amazing products and flipping the bird at idiots.

There we go again ....

Tallest Skil calling all the people dumb an idiots who have another opinion than his.

People who announced at 500 or 460 were called dumb when they thought about selling apple stock.

I sold some at 500 and bougth again at 420 then sold at 460.

At 418 i sold another 20% of my stock. 

Only time will tell if i can find a good entry point to reinvest my cash. ? 

• Reply 75 of 400
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, the idiots that actually invested in AAPL.

Pretty ridiculous statement, [...] Anyone who thinks AAPL, generating cash at the rate they generate it, growing marketshare and unit sales with all of their latest releases, and a track record of reinventing markets is a bad long term investment is the idiot.

Do I really need to put a '/s' after every word in my post? Please reread the thread in context as to what nonsense I was replying to.

• Reply 76 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Who really gives a shit about the stock price...I just want Apple to be Apple. 

Which means what?

• Reply 77 of 400
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 240member
    spacerays wrote: »
    Dont know if there is a relation, but all this shit started to happen shortly after Apple started to issue dividends.

Maybe it's the reason why Jobs didnt want any dividends.

Perhaps, but not the way you think. The stock had flattened out a little above $400 late last winter, before the dividend/buyback announcement. The dividend/buyback announcement prompted an additional run up to $700. The dividend/buyback announcement caused a lot of the euphoria amongst analysts and institutional investors. I saw this run up as a chance to get out, so I completely sold out the second at $600.

During the six month delay between the announcement and the dividend payment, the stock went up by 33%, causing the yield to drop by a similar amount. What started out as a decent dividend yield became paltry compared to other companies. The excitement was gone, the growth was gone, and the product lineup was stale.

I have been amazed by the tone on this site as the price fell through $600, $550, $500, $450. The sentiment each time was "buying opportunity!!!" Now at $400, it is noticeably more pessimistic. Perhaps that is a sign that it really is nearing time to get back in.
  • Reply 78 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Because the stock is now an option trader wet dream and not valuated on fundamentals ?

There is a tremendous chorus of bad mouthing from those who play against the naïve investors and against Apple and it wont stop anytime soon.

However as Apple has no debt, there is few risks for them, so the day the shorts capitulate, they are in  for a very bad mauling. Fundamentals always win in the end and Apple ones are fabulous.

Well, load up, then.

• Reply 79 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Perhaps, but not the way you think. The stock had flattened out a little above $400 late last winter, before the dividend/buyback announcement. The dividend/buyback announcement prompted an additional run up to $700. The dividend/buyback announcement caused a lot of the euphoria amongst analysts and institutional investors. I saw this run up as a chance to get out, so I completely sold out the second at $600.

During the six month delay between the announcement and the dividend payment, the stock went up by 33%, causing the yield to drop by a similar amount. What started out as a decent dividend yield became paltry compared to other companies. The excitement was gone, the growth was gone, and the product lineup was stale.

I have been amazed by the tone on this site as the price fell through $600, $550, $500, $450. The sentiment each time was "buying opportunity!!!" Now at $400, it is noticeably more pessimistic. Perhaps that is a sign that it really is nearing time to get back in.

I like your thinking :-)

• Reply 80 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

It appears everyone is missing this statement, "The company, which makes energy and audio chips, notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus." The emphasis should be on "migrates to a newer component," not reducing orders for existing component because of poor sales. I guess analysts don't read.

No one missed it: it is front and center on all the news reports.