Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce? 

You are totally missing the point, and reading too much into what has been said.  The story is about a built in dock and better support for specific phone functions.  What do you tell all the people with their built in docks right now in 3 year old cars with Apple 30 pin connectors?  When the functionality is already there in current systems, and you can add in a holder for your phone yourself... this doesn't seem like a big deal.  Its cool, but nothing major.

• Reply 22 of 61
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    igriv wrote: »
    You have been around since 1911? And still keeping up with the latest technology? We are not worthy...

Yes, genius...
  • Reply 23 of 61
    doh123 wrote: »
    You are totally missing the point, and reading too much into what has been said.  The story is about a built in dock and better support for specific phone functions.  What do you tell all the people with their built in docks right now in 3 year old cars with Apple 30 pin connectors?  When the functionality is already there in current systems, and you can add in a holder for your phone yourself... this doesn't seem like a big deal.  Its cool, but nothing major.

Hoping for someone like Kenwood to make a drop in replacement that will include iPad Mini integration.
  • Reply 24 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I own a Jeep. Been around since 1911 and done many a job on many a continent. I'd dig a iPad Mini dock integration.

Good for you. 

I guess you missed it, but I am just pointing out that Jeep is owned by an Italian company.

• Reply 25 of 61
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Yes, genius...

Alas, I hear the sense of humor is the first thing to go...

• Reply 26 of 61
    Good for you. 

I guess you missed it, but I am just pointing out that Jeep is owned by an Italian company.

Not when I bought it. Stop being an ass. It's your choice.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    igriv wrote: »
    Alas, I hear the sense of humor is the first thing to go...

Sorry to hear yours has left.
  • Reply 28 of 61

Quote:

Not when I bought it. Stop being an ass. It's your choice.

Comprehension issues, huh?

Not surprised....

• Reply 29 of 61
    Comprehension issues, huh?

Not surprised....

Still ass issues? Conistancy is your strong point.

The F'n vehicle is still designed and built (mostly) is the US. The brand is US or it wouldn't be worth a "group LLC" buying it. I don't see Apple rushing out to integrate with Hindustan.

Volkswagen is a good choice and the Audi connection should make it obvious.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

I actually agree, but in a different way. I wish ALL cars would start offering some type of docks, to accept iPhones, iPads, and even *gasp* androids, so we can bring our own. Only hardware needed is the docking mechanism, and the software to interface, can be in the phone, built by or for the manufacturer.

• Reply 32 of 61
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

I actually agree, but in a different way. I wish ALL cars would start offering some type of docks, to accept iPhones, iPads, and even *gasp* androids, so we can bring our own. Only hardware needed is the docking mechanism, and the software to interface, can be in the phone, built by or for the manufacturer.

MOST cars have a bluetooth connection these days, and, as some have pointed out you actually don't want to have ALL the features of your device in the car, for reasons of safety. So, while there is definitely room for improvement, the existing level of integration is getting better by the day.

• Reply 33 of 61
    rkevwill wrote: »

I agree,

Rear camera, rear view mirror, proximity sensors, AM/FM radio, Sat Radio, MPx, Navigation, search, voice dial and messaging, vehicle firmware upgrade, emergency notification, lo-jack,external gps powered antennae, charging..

This is one of the next races and Apple being in control of the only non-frag OS and hardware gives them a great advantage.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Bad Sunday, boys? 

So much grumpiness. 

• Reply 35 of 61
    Yeah, Jeep. That's a classy car. Their advertising is amazing!

"Get the new Jeep Amuurica with Freedom Drive and our new XenophobeTrack 4 wheel drive. You will totally forget how small your penis is once you put a 10" lift on it. Promise."

If you bought a car that isn't German or Japanese, you're doing it wrong.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

Yeah, that would be because it's not out yet, and you don'r know what t he **** it is yet. Any other questions??

• Reply 37 of 61
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

I'm betting this is a Lightning dock which is a first I think.  I suppose it "adds" features that were lost to many systems when the iPhone 5 was used with the 30pin adapter.  But as others have said, let's wait and see what the real details are when these hit the road.

Here are some details: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-ibeetle-shanghai-auto-show/

• Reply 38 of 61
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    And in 5 years when that technology is no longer supported, the entertainment system will be rendered useless.
    This. It might be awesome now, but then what? I always buy used cars (dumb not to unless you're a millionaire- and even then- why?). So it's always outdated.
    Nice sales gimmick though as most people won't think like you and I. I wish apple would get into the car market though- a bolt in radio that you can switch out annually with a plug (or every two years). Integrated of course. Talk About a gold mine- if only the car manufacturers would get on board with THAT.
  • Reply 39 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

I could have lived a bit longer without knowing THAT!

• Reply 40 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This. It might be awesome now, but then what? I always buy used cars (dumb not to unless you're a millionaire- and even then- why?). So it's always outdated.

Nice sales gimmick though as most people won't think like you and I. I wish apple would get into the car market though- a bolt in radio that you can switch out annually with a plug (or every two years). Integrated of course. Talk About a gold mine- if only the car manufacturers would get on board with THAT.

Do you really think your car radio is welded into the dash? They are all bolted in... sheesh!

Cars in the past at one time or another were made to handle records, 8 track tapes and cassettes... all technology that's long gone in the current autos.