Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great! It's a start.

I won't even consider Fords because of the Window's "installed!"

Mixed feelings: Having your ford stolen with your Windows phone inside. 

• Reply 42 of 61
    I would love to integrate my iPhone into my car using only Bluetooth. But if navigation features are used, wouldn't that eat through the battery charge pretty quick? This would require you to charge as you go, and I would prefer a dock of some kind rather than powerpoint adapter and cord. My dream system would allow me to deposit my iPhone in a dock, control it using Siri through a dedicated button on the steering wheel, and have my iPhone's display be mirrored in the factory installed screen on the dash.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Shouldn't the discussion be about : which dock this will support? WIll everyone with an iPhone/iPod older than the iPhone 5 require an adaptor to use the dock? Won't said adaptor greatly increase risk of breaking the dock due to extra stress on the original connector?

If the lifespan of this car is 8-10 years, do we have any idea if Apple will even support the dock on products in 8-10 years? It's one thing to drop $100 on a clock radio that loses functionality in 5 years, it's another to lose a central function of a car in that timespan.

And fwiw, Volkswagens haven't been any more reliable than american cars in about 25 years, Japanese cars of the last 15 years have had terrible QC issues (has nobody noticed how many recalls toyotas get?), and Jeep has been a turd of a brand basically forever. According to JD power, Volkswagen and Jeep have both been bottom-5 quality brands in the world for close to a decade now, although Volkswagen still has one of the best "brand perception" ratings in the world. Every Toyota not called Camry (one of the most reliable cars in the world for over a decade), is basically a turd, and they've had more recalls than any other manufacturer.

Problems per 100 vehicles 2010:

• Lexus 71

• Porsche 94

• Lincoln 112

• Toyota 112

• Mercedes-Benz 115

• Buick 118

• Honda 119

• Acura 120

• Ram 122

• Suzuki 122

• Mazda 124

• Chevrolet 125

• Ford 127

• Cadillac 128

• Subaru 132

• BMW 133

• GMC 134

• Scion 135

• Nissan 137

• Infiniti 137

• Kia 140

• Hyundai 141

• Audi 147

• Volvo 149

• Mini 150

• Chrysler 153

• Jaguar 164

• Volkswagen 174

• Jeep 178

• Mitsubishi 178

• Dodge 190

• Land Rover 220

And the whole "buy american" bullshit when it comes to cars is just a big load of crap. The american auto industry has done everything it can to **** american workers for the past 3 decades - outsourcing as much work as possible to Mexico, China and Canada, destroying its american supplier network by going with chinese and eastern european parts, and then taking billions from taxpayers in bailout funds only to continue outsourcing labour and overpaying CEOs.

• Reply 44 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

What??? An iPhone (or any other device) is perfectly capable to give directions over bluetooth. If you want to look at the screen, then yes, a mount is useful, but most cars with that level of electronics support have their own GPS (mine is integrated with SiriusXM, so has real time traffic info -- I am guessing this is pretty common)  so this is a moot point.

Let's see you charge your phone over Bluetooth, if you are charging you plug into something, why not a dock?

• Reply 45 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!

Nah mate I'll stick with an Aussie Ford

• Reply 46 of 61
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv

I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Or go to the grocery store.

• Reply 47 of 61
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selva Raj View Post

Apple-looking-for-new-CEO

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Report-Apple-looking-for-new-CEO_id42184

Yeah, super reliable news source you got there...

Let's look at the fundamentals, shall we?

• Reply 48 of 61
    christophb wrote: »
    Still ass issues? Conistancy [sic] is your strong point.
    The F'n vehicle is still designed and built (mostly) is the US. The brand is US or it wouldn't be worth a "group LLC" buying it. I don't see Apple rushing out to integrate with Hindustan.

I wish you'd stop embarrassing other Jeep owners (and Texas residents). Yourself, not so much.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Yeah I picked some bad examples lol. I was thinking of the Cherokee SRT model as its a premier trim with all the guts, attitude, and looks you'd expect from an Apple product. I just don't think VW fits the mold of Apple, except what us as Apple fans are stereotyped as.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Yeah I picked some bad examples lol. I was thinking of the Cherokee SRT model as its a premier trim with all the guts, attitude, and looks you'd expect from an Apple product. I just don't think VW fits the mold of Apple, except what us as Apple fans are stereotyped as.

VWs are not the same cars they were even 10 years ago.  They are much closer to an Audi now in quality and design.  Reliability always remains to be seen, but they have made an effort recently on that front as well.

• Reply 51 of 61
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

VWs are not the same cars they were even 10 years ago.  They are much closer to an Audi now in quality and design.  Reliability always remains to be seen, but they have made an effort recently on that front as well.

Indeed.  I test drove both the VW Golf Wagon TDI and the Audi A4 TDI, and they were very comparable vehicles (ended up going with the Golf Wagon).  When I pop the hood, half the engine parts are labelled as Audi.

• Reply 52 of 61
    Hmm. The car will last way longer than the iPhone model that was current when the car came out. What if the iPhone is bested by another company?! Stuck in iPhoneland! And, as apple does, the iPhone changes size or shape? Oops, sorry go get another car. Your new phone doesn't fit.
    Too bad. Someone, maybe the car buyer, didn't think it through!
  • Reply 53 of 61
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

VW was run out on a rail from the US in the '80s because of their poor quality and service organization, and when they came back they tried hard to address this, so in my considerable experience (I currrently have a passat and an audi) they are very reliable, and the service organization is top-notch.

• Reply 54 of 61

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce? 

Who said anything about picking up my phone? I have used ProClip USA mounts in my car for a dozen years -- long before the iPhone ever was invented -- which securely mounts my iPhone right in front of me.

• Reply 55 of 61
    hill60 wrote: »

Let's see you charge your phone over Bluetooth, if you are charging you plug into something, why not a dock?

I charge via one of the USB ports provided in my car, or the lighter using a Belkin adapter. It's really not rocket science here.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    I charge via one of the USB ports provided in my car, or the lighter using a Belkin adapter. It's really not rocket science here.

I'm hoping for/expecting more iOS integration into vehicle functions beyond just music and voice calls.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I don't understand why Apple doesn't just make their own head unit. A double-DIN chassis with a place to snap an iPhone into the front bezel. Most "integration" systems unnecessarily duplicate the screen and touch controls, and provide a less convenient and intuitive user interface. The phone itself already provides everything needed. Maybe include a big knob or two for volume/bass/treble/tuning etc.

Provide interface units for common steering wheel controls, or just allow third party suppliers to sell them.

If/when the form factor of the phones change, one can change the "deck" the same way one swaps out any car stereo unit.

This would have the enormous benefit of being something one can install in ANY car.

• Reply 58 of 61
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I cannot speak about VW in America, but in Europe... yes bluetooth connection has been around for a long while.

But... Bluetooth really SUCKS for audio. Its mediocre at best (where is my BT 4.0?). Connecting a cable to your iPhone drastically improves the audio.

Also as others have mentioned, integration directly into the VW display for navigation and (more) elaborate control form the steering wheel is not common.

--- Update ---
    Opps.. didnt realise I was so late to the party
  • Reply 59 of 61
    imgmkrimgmkr Posts: 16member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    And in 5 years when that technology is no longer supported, the entertainment system will be rendered useless.

well i think the otherway around.
    in five yrs or mo time, when i buy this beetle, an iphone5 might come w/ the car! that be cool~
  • Reply 60 of 61
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

I'm tired of proprietary interfaces.   This is not the 1980s.  We need device agnostic setups.

Anyone should be able to get into any vehicle and have their smartphone of any make, be available on, and from, the car's touchscreen panel (as well as from steering wheel controls).