Windows 8 tablets grab 7% of shipments, Apple's iPad still controls nearly half

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Really? And how come Samsung managed to have a 7 billion profit by... inflating their sales figures? If they aren't selling that much how could they grow their profits? By magic maybe?

What part of my statement do you think alleges Samsung doesn't have any sell-through?
  • Reply 42 of 141
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Okay honest question. Why would retailers continue to take shipments if the product was not selling? Why would a manufacture continue to put money into a product that wasn't selling? So on some level shipments have to mean something.
    On some level it does mean something. You either eventually sell units, or you can no longer "ship" at inflated levels. Look at the play book launch... Give Microsoft a few quarters and we'll see what the numbers are...
  • Reply 43 of 141

My wife loves her iPad4. She brought it to the hospital and I became quickly annoyed on the web. Just going back a screen got on my nerves.

So I sent her back to home to get my Nexus 10. Those three buttons at the bottom (back, home, and scroll apps) make all the difference in the world. And btw, I don't think you can buy a Nexus 10 in any store.

• Reply 44 of 141
    notownnotown Posts: 39member

I still haven't seen anyone swapping out the keyboard covers at a crowded park table, or sliding and throwing them around to others, or break dancing with them in hand, or pretending they're body armor, or attaching the cover while flipping in the air mid-jump, or using one...

• Reply 45 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

…I became quickly annoyed on the web. Just going back a screen got on my nerves.

Those three buttons at the bottom (back, home, and scroll apps) make all the difference in the world. 

No offense meant, but you're too stupid to figure out how to use a back button in the top left corner, but in the bottom center it makes "all the difference in the world"?

I don't know how that can be said any differently. I'm sorry for the frankness.

• Reply 46 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Really? And how come Samsung managed to have a 7 billion profit by... inflating their sales figures? If they aren't selling that much how could they grow their profits? By magic maybe?

Pretty sure Samsung makes their profit selling millions and millions of cheap plastic iPhone knock offs, not a few million tablets. The only reason I figure this is happening is yes, because of magic. 

• Reply 47 of 141
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yeah I think the whole shipped vs sold argument is bogus. No company will create a bunch of tablets if ghe don't think they can sell them. BUT most of the shipped numbers we get are not official numbers from OEM's but estimates from different analytical firms. That's also bogus. Where exactly are all these Android tablets. I go to the airport or am on a plane and never see anyone using a tablet other than iPad. In my office everyone uses an iPad. Who's buying all these android tablets?
    Bogus? Really? How about Palm, HP, Blackberry,etc, all producing and shipping products that they later heavily discounted or wrote off completely. The roadside is littered with products like this.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    My wife loves her iPad4. She brought it to the hospital and I became quickly annoyed on the web. Just going back a screen got on my nerves.

So I sent her back to home to get my Nexus 10. Those three buttons at the bottom (back, home, and scroll apps) make all the difference in the world. And btw, I don't think you can buy a Nexus 10 in any store.

How can hitting the left arrow be so difficult? I guess for trolls simplify is hard to understand.
  • Reply 49 of 141
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    It's interesting that Android's 9% surge and Surface's 7.4 gains seem to be at iOS's -15% expense. Really wondering what to attribute that to. iPod cemented their lead by iterating so quickly. This doesn't seem to be playing out with iPad in the same way. Surprising to me, frankly.

The market is expanding faster than Apple can produce iPads.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    freerange wrote: »
    Bogus? Really? How about Palm, HP, Blackberry,etc, all producing and shipping products that they later heavily discounted or wrote off completely. The roadside is littered with products like this.
    Just curious which current Android OEM is producing all these tablets that aren't selling (and I'm assuming then returned)? What I want to know is where these analytic firms get their data from. Web usage data shows a completely different story than these estimates. Do any Android OEM's even release shipped or sold information?
  • Reply 51 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No offense meant, but you're too stupid to figure out how to use a back button in the top left corner, but in the bottom center it makes "all the difference in the world"?

I don't know how that can be said any differently. I'm sorry for the frankness.

No offense taken. Yeah I can hit the top left back button, But the button the buttons at the bottom of the Nexus are just bigger, lights up, and seems easier to use.

No offense meant, but are you too stupid or prideful to ever try a Nexus 10 for 5 minutes using Chrome?

• Reply 52 of 141
    No offense taken. Yeah I can hit the top left back button, But the button the buttons at the bottom of the Nexus are just bigger, lights up, and seems easier to use.

No offense meant, but are you too stupid or prideful to ever try a Nexus 10 for 5 minutes using Chrome?
    No just too deeply vested in Apple products and stocks :) It's like a Chevy/Ford or Lakers/Celtics thing, like you, we have chosen our team & like what we know.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Android "tablets" include a lot of Kindles. That's where those numbers come from...
  • Reply 54 of 141
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It includes the Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble Nook. The Android segment is made up of loads of devices.

Even rarely accurate Samsung shill Digitimes had stats showing Samsung at 3.9% tablet supplier shipments vs Apple at 71.6%. The article was here:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130419VL202.html

but they've since hidden it for members only. Can't imagine why. There's still tablet usage stats that show a similar distribution though:

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/02/05/chitika-ipad-at-81-tablet-web-share-in-north-america-kindle-fire-grabs-7-7-and-galaxy-tablets-take-3-9/

The ebook readers have quite a large portion of the sales:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/kindle-fire-nabs-33-of-android-tablet-market-nexus-7-just-8/

That may explain lower web usage as they will be bought by people primarily for reading books.

The stats in the article are sales shares too which are only measured in a given quarter, which is why 3 million represents over 7%. Android tablets are starting to pick up the pace as they are selling at little to no profit. It's the only way they're able to sell - if they were within $50 of the price of an iPad, nobody would even give them a second glance. When they are $130 or more cheaper, it's a better option to people who aren't too fussy about the quality and just want something to read a few books on. You can see that even with the vastly lower price, there's still very few people interested in any particular model.
    I have another theory. These companies pick some mythical market share number percentages. They then wait for Apple to release their results. They then fill in the blanks for the other OSes. Had Apple sold 30% less iPads, Android would have also sold 30% fewer units.
  • Reply 55 of 141
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    majjo wrote: »
    From my experience here in the San Francisco bay area, that seems to be relatively close to my experience. There has been an uptick in iPads since the mini though.

In Phoenix metro it is closer to 90-95%.
  • Reply 56 of 141
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

No just too deeply vested in Apple products and stocks image It's like a Chevy/Ford or Lakers/Celtics thing, like you, we have chosen our team & like what we know.

Sometimes pragmatism is a good course.  Corporations rise and fall, make good products and bad, going down with a sinking ship (for instance, holding Apple stock from 700+ back down to 400) doesn't prove anything.  

• Reply 57 of 141
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    rhyde wrote: »
    Android "tablets" include a lot of Kindles. That's where those numbers come from...

As the Kindle doesn't include Google Play it is not an Android tablet, please provide proof to backup your claim
  • Reply 58 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Okay honest question. Why would retailers continue to take shipments if the product was not selling? Why would a manufacture continue to put money into a product that wasn't selling? So on some level shipments have to mean something.

The whole idea of a manufacturer is to go into full production of a product; the do not manufacture to order. It then becomes marketing's job to get that mass of merchandise out into the stores. They do that in a number of ways, here's a short list:

1. Offer delayed payment options of up to a year after receiving shipment. Usually more like 90 days.

2. Offer free promotional materials, such as advertising credits, display furniture, and staff training, if the store buys into the whole program.

3. Offer special pricing for the introductory period.

The advantage to the manufacturer is that they get the product into the hands of the reseller with an invoice (albeit a delayed payment date). Along with the national advertising program and local store advertising they hope to create a marketing buzz strong enough to empty the stores of their stock and get a strong launch. The last thing they want to do is to take back unsold merchandise. If the sales are slower than desired, the manufacturer may offer an additional discount to the stores to blow the merchandise out in a sale. 

Having the merchandise shipped and invoiced allows the manufacturer to show they've moved the product through their channel. However, we may see, in the next quarter that Microsoft had to take invoice charge backs on a ton of Surfaces, and this will show against profits. Hopefully, by then most people won't see it as a failure of the Surface tablets close to a year ago.

• Reply 59 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

As the Kindle doesn't include Google Play it is not an Android tablet, please provide proof to backup your claim

Kindle runs a fork of the Android OS, That it needs to run Google Play to be classified as such is not a requirement for generally classifying it an Android tablet except to Google Inc. Especially since a Kindle owner can get all the Android crapware they want from Amazon.

• Reply 60 of 141
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What am I missing in this article? Where are you getting a 90%. Looks like 48.2% iOS.

With the Android skewed and Apple skewed sites you have to be careful of how they portray the headlines, because they tend to really cherry pick and skew data.  If 90% of the data stinks for them, they will highlight the good 10% and portray themselves as 'winning'

TS is probably off with the 90% remark- but not too far off.  The thing to recognize is 'user market share' vs 'sales market share'  In user market share Apple was at one point somewhere around 80-85%  Apple had a huge start in tablets, and the initial Android tablets sold poorly.  What the data above shows is sales market share.  Right now Android tablet sales are growing at a much more rapid rate than Apple sales- to the point where their actual sales percentages are pretty even.  There are far more tablets 'already out there' from the previous several years of sales.  So having android tablet sales match iPad sales for 1 quarter is going to drag the 80-85% user share down some, but nowhere near to a 48% split.  Since tablets generally have a useful life @2 years, if the numbers persist it means in 2 years the two tablet types will have a similar user share.

Windows actually did fairly well for a new system and could stand to improve quite a bit if businesses adopt it as a 'windows pc' equivalent.  Few people other than engineers, architects, and computer scientists actually use their personal computers for any kind of computing.  They use it as a web browser and email portal.  That's where tablets shine and the reason they are killing the pc market.

To answer someone else's question of 'who is using android tablets' increasingly I think the answer is:  People who have android phones.  It is annoying to have one Apple device.  Apple tries to force you into their ecosystem and doesn't work so seamlessly with outside options.  It is great if you go ALL apple, but anything else forget it.  I used to use an Apple tablet even despite that because they were far ahead of Android.  I've switched to an Android tablet and it feels like its actually quite a bit ahead of an Apple tablet (granted I gave my Apple tablet to my parents and haven't used the latest Apple version- so things may have changed).  As a tablet the Android version actually feels more like an operating system where Apple was simply a 'grid of icons' and you use one App at a time.  People deriding Android tablets post things that are way off the mark from my experiences- but I expect that, most of them are Apple fans maybe a little in the realm of denial/wishful thinking rather than forming their opinions based on actual usage.

Either way I think tablets are just going to follow phone preference.  It wouldn't make much sense for an iPhone user to go out and buy and Android tablet and not be able to use all their Apple purchased stuff.  Increasingly the converse is holding true for Android tablets.  I think adding TV's and Smartwatches to the mix is only going to enforce things even more.  Pick your ecosystem and stick with it.