Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.
    I have yet to see someone using a headset with their giant Android phone. I am starting to tire of owners who can't figure out how to do simple task asking me to help them. I have no interest in learning android.
  • Reply 42 of 154
    auxio wrote: »
    Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

As others have posted, if the number/plan designates the individual instead of the device -- you can carry the iPhone, the iPad, the iPad Mini (or all or none) -- what ever is convenient and makes sense for the moment.
  • Reply 42 of 154
    auxio wrote: »
    Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

As others have posted, if the number/plan designates the individual instead of the device -- you can carry the iPhone, the iPad, the iPad Mini (or all or none) -- what ever is convenient and makes sense for the moment.
  • Reply 44 of 154

What a POS!

• Reply 45 of 154
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I thought this was a joke! Seriously, a phone? Well this is one part of the market they will "dominate" for sure. lmao

I can understand it, I wouldn't have it as standard equipment, I would offer it as an option.  Some people only want to drag around a tablet and still get phone calls.  Yeah, I don't think they'll put them up to their ears, but they can use ear buds of just talk through the built in microphone.

I think Apple should offer optional cell phone capabilities on ALL of their other mobile products (iPads, and even laptops).  Yeah, even laptops should have a cellular data/voice as an option.  It would be even cooler if the carriers would offer a one cell phone number that can be used on multiple devices at the same time, so you can answer depending on which device you have close by.

• Reply 46 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've never figured out why the iPad cannot receive calls.

Time for Apple to change that.

Well, they can use Google Voice or if some other company had an VoIP solution, but other than that they need a voice chip in addition to the data chip.

• Reply 47 of 154
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member

I already use my iPad Mini as my primary phone (via VOIP), though I had to jump through a few hoops to do so (Google Voice + Talkatone app). Admittedly, telephony isn't a big deal for me. I probably receive about a dozen calls a month, and most of them are simply to remind me of appointments. I pay $20 a month to Verizon for 1 GB of 4G LTE data and I haven't had any problems. I'm much happier taking the small hit to my phone call convenience in favor of the huge increase in functionality that I get with being able to use the Mini over the iPhone as my primary portable device.

Using the Mini as a phone does have its downsides. Apple hasn't released the APIs that allow linked bluetooth headsets to answer incoming calls on the Mini, so you're forced to tap "Answer" on the Mini's screen to answer a call (through the headset works normally, otherwise). :/ If Apple would add true phone functionality in the iPad Mini without forcing workarounds, I'd be ecstatic. This feature isn't useful for everyone, but I know it's something that a lot of folks would really appreciate.

• Reply 48 of 154
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Sorry It's NOT a bad idea as some here are saying. I always said iPad Mini with Voice service should be Apple's answer to the phablet.

That assumes that Apple wants or needs an answer to the phablets. They likely don't feel that way, anymore than they did about cheap net books. Or a cheap full price iPhone.

"They likely don't feel that way"

That's an assumption as well.

My point on the topic in the past was just that it didn't make sense for Apple to start coming out with phones that are too large to be used with a single hand, or be put into a standard pants pocket. Yet it would require little (just a service arrangement with carriers?) to light-up voice service on the Mini (or any iPad cellular for that matter).

I would guess it's simply a matter of what's best for their business. i.e. Are iPhones then cannibalized? (Maybe not at all) Is the cannibalization offset by increased revenues from the "iPad Voice" (Maybe iPad Cellular models shoot through the roof)

• Reply 49 of 154
    Well, I got stuck in quite a time warp with this one.

From this description I much prefer the Fonepad
  • Reply 50 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I think the whole problem could be solved if the carriers would allow multiple devices to share the same phone number, that way you answer which ever device you have with you.  So, if you had a smartphone, tablet, etc. they all ring at the same time when someone calls, but whichever one answers is up to the user.  I think Apple should offer at least cellular data chips in all of their laptops at least as an option.  But even cellular voice would cool too.  People wear those Bluetooth earpieces they can connect to whatever device they want.

• Reply 51 of 154
    Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

The iPad can make and receive calls using any number of the VOIP apps.  It might not be exactly the same as having regular phone service, but it's probably close enough for a lot of people who need to make the occasional call.  If you have a cellular iPad (assuming wifi wouldn't work all of the time), have you tried using it for VOIP?

No, I haven't... I can't justify the additional $ per month for iPad cell service over what I already pay for iPhone cell service... My use patterns are, basically: at Home with WiFi; out and about with cell (No WiFi)... I don't "hang out" at places with WiFi hot spots!
  • Reply 52 of 154
    iqatedo wrote: »
    For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.
    I'm one who thinks that it is a stupid idea, headset or not. To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy. Yes, when on the bike with my 5 in my back pocket, I use a headset for calls. Where I live, there is quite a big difference in the cost of a data only plan and voice. Samesung haven't done this for practical reasons but to 'one up' Apple.

Ok, so it's not for you. Didn't realize your preferences applied to the whole universe.

Also, stop with this Samsung nonsense. The discussion here is about whether it is a good idea, not whether Samsung thinks its a good idea.
  • Reply 53 of 154

I have always been averse to the idea of an iPad being used as a phone. BUT, if the 'iWatch' is coming out and if you could tether that to the iPad then that would be a cool application. A call comes in, you look at your wrist and if you want to take it press a button on your BT headset. That's the only scenario in my mind that would make the iPad as a phone thing a viable solution.

• Reply 54 of 154
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I understand.  I'm just refuting the argument you were making about people only choosing their phone (instead of an iPad or other device) because of fashion.  I choose a 3.5-4" slab because it's less of a hinderance.  I only choose my iPad when I'll need to do things which are more convenient with a bigger screen (a lot of emailing, web browsing, etc).  It's all about taking the least amount of device with me required for what I'll be doing so that I have the least amount of device to manage/maintain.

That said, I agree with the point that all of the devices should have the same capabilities so that I could have the option to forgo my iPhone when I need my iPad.  Though I'm not a big fan of headsets (again because of device maintenance hassle -- keeping it charged, storage, etc), so I'd likely still opt to have my phone on me, but to each their own.

• Reply 55 of 154
    Shamesung , as its name suggests , SHAMELESS singing all around .
  • Reply 56 of 154
    I feel like we are all missing that fact that the specs on the tab 3 suck, this will not be a competitor to the ipad mini
  • Reply 57 of 154
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zain Khan View Post

I have always been averse to the idea of an iPad being used as a phone. BUT, if the 'iWatch' is coming out and if you could tether that to the iPad then that would be a cool application. A call comes in, you look at your wrist and if you want to take it press a button on your BT headset. That's the only scenario in my mind that would make the iPad as a phone thing a viable solution.

I could see the use of the rumored iWatch as a Dick Tracy phone or Star Trek communicator where it is more just the simple display with answer, call, talk/listen capabilities. That sounds like Bluetooth connectivity (which is a battery hog) with most all the smarts in your iPad or MacBook. The only problem with that is it starts to sound rather large and not the amount of runtime I would like. If anyone can do something like this with the issues ironed out it will be Apple.

I am suddenly much more interested in the iWatch than before.

• Reply 58 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Taking phone calls is definitely a good option. But, how do people carry them while talking on call? I mean... I dont understand Samsung way, but people are buying them. I am seeing Samsung Galaxies now how I used to see iPhones when it arrived initially.
    I thought this was a joke! Seriously, a phone? Well this is one part of the market they will "dominate" for sure. lmao

Plug in some headphones or use a BT headset. I don't think it's idea setup for someone that can buy a phone and a tablet but it might an ideal setup for someone that doesn't have much disposable cash but wants the use of a phone and tablet.

I've never figured out why the iPad cannot receive calls.

Time for Apple to change that.

I think it was the iPad 4 that recieved the first Qualcomm Gobi chip that was even capable of doing voice.

• Reply 59 of 154
    Ah ha ...Now the wolves will need a wider palm and longer fingers to text and drive.
  • Reply 60 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Exactly!

In the US, (if the government can find a way to tax it) cellular phone/data service will likely evolve to where it is charged to the individual, not the device.

Like you, I have lots of uses for a mobile computer/camera/web appliance... oh, yeah... Occasionally I need a mobile phone!

I think it's fairly clear that this has to hapen sooner or later, and probably sooner.  

If there really is going to be an "Internet of Things," then the carriers have to change.  Apple has the power to lead the carriers by the nose but so far they haven't decided to use it and have "toed the line" in terms of not disrupting the carriers business and pretending like they aren't just dumb pipes (when they are).