BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I give him some credit. He doesn't want to just copy competitor's products or produce dozens of models at every size and price pooint or even sell a dozen products under the same name so that BlackBerry can appear to dominate the market.

I think BlackBerry is really pushing their effort, the only issue is that BlackBerry held onto the past too long [still holding onto the past a bit now even, in my opinion].

Of all the current smartphone vendors, I most desire Apple, BlackBerry, HTC and Nokia to succeed. The attention to detail and consideration of design is apparent in their products. Of these vendors, only Apple and BlackBerry own their destiny by way of developing their own operating system (for their premium products).
  • Reply 22 of 101
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    It's all going to be one device. The same gizmo is an Xbox, a PC, a phone, a flashlight, compass, cable box, etc. You can interface it through the wall or your wrist lol.

Didn't blackberry make the tablet that wouldn't work unless you already had a Blakberry phone? And if the phone ran out of battery you couldn't check your email on the tablet?
  • Reply 23 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So they jumped from the hubris statement of "Amateur hour is over" to a statement of denial that tablets will go away. Could those grapes be any more sour?
  • Reply 24 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

My guess is that within five years BB will have launched more than one tablet if their phones attract the kind of marketshare they are predicting.

Unless he is right and the iPad really does turn out to be nothing but a toy which a number of AI posters proclaimed ad nauseam 3 years ago. ;/

• Reply 25 of 101
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I think BB is smart to stay out of the tablet market. Apple indeed "owns the space" so BB should focus on regaining some space in the mobile sector vs Android.

Also, why is it that CEOs from every other company have many interviews each year and Tim Cook has like 1? And you have to pay $1/2 million to talk to him lol
  • Reply 26 of 101
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

W H A T  T H E  F ^ C K 

• Reply 27 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

RIM's old CEO (half of it, anyway) said the iPhone would fail.

They sure know how to hire 'em!

• Reply 28 of 101
    I predict his salary will diminish...
  • Reply 29 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    paxman wrote: »
    My guess is that within five years BB will have launched more than one tablet if their phones attract the kind of marketshare they are predicting.

Unless he is right and the iPad really does turn out to be nothing but a toy which a number of AI posters proclaimed ad nauseam 3 years ago. ;/

Don't many continue to proclaim that the iPad is a toy?
  • Reply 30 of 101
    If anybody out there actually still owns BB stock, sell. CEO doesn't have a clue.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

come on folks - give the guy a break here - FUD has to start somewhere, right? and not only that but it will provide awesome quotes in a couple years anytime anyone sees the smallest blip in sales or growth or profitability for any given tablet style device. 

• Reply 32 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Thorsten Heins:

Quote:

“In five years, I see BlackBerry to be the absolute leader in mobile computing -- that’s what we’re aiming for,” Heins said. “I want to gain as much market share as I can, but not by being a copycat.”

Eric Schmidt:

Quote:

by the summer of 2012 .... the majority of the televisions that you see in the television stores here will have Google TV embedded in it

[I've been TV shopping for the past month, have browsed hundreds of TVs, and literally did not see a single Google TV in any store, anywhere. Not one.]

Steve Ballmer: (re: iPhone)

Quote:

But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.

These buffoons need to form a club, I suggest the name of "How to be epically wrong about everything". 

• Reply 33 of 101

Sorry guys, But I totally (and I mean it seriously) can see his point.

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again. Only the phone and a computer when something needs to be done.

Now imagine a phone like the note but done right.

The screen provides a great browsing experience, it's lighter and more portable, has the firepower of a regular tablet, makes calls and has the conveniences of a phone. That's a fact, most people use tablets for things that can easily be done (in some cases it is even better) on a 5" phone.

We still do not have a flagship (great) 5" phone, But Apple can do that. Just imagine that.

Please Apple, it would fit perfectly on the usage of million and millions of people and for the others you have a 4" screen and an iPad.

• Reply 34 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

Blackberry isn't known for having keen insights lately. I wonder if they also predict a sudden demand for BlackBerry Bold. :)

They are predicting 10's of Millions of the Q10 being sold.

I don't know who's kool aid he has been drinking but I think he may have an advisor that is one of the original Merry Pranksters. Wherever his idea comes from I wouldn't use it for investment guidance (doesn't pass the acid test).

• Reply 35 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again.

Give a person a tablet and they will never use a tablet again?  How does that make sense?

• Reply 36 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

…a flagship (great) 5" phone… Just imagine that.

Why ask people to imagine crap? 

• Reply 37 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why ask people to imagine crap? 

Imagine crap? What the hell are you talking about?

The galaxy note loses to the iPhone on every single metric and still is better for playing games, internet, reading, watching videos, etc just because it is a decent 5" phone, even if too expensive for what it is.

Put a 5" on an iPhone, change the design so it isn't the same thing just proportionally bigger, make apps for it, give it the right things and you have the better product ever created on the history of electronics.

Don't be a fool and do not be ignorant.

• Reply 38 of 101
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    If his thought is that the phone will hook to a monitor on your desktop and you won't need a 'real' PC... maybe. But the tablet form factor with a larger screen while not sitting at your desk or looking at a TV - well, it's an entirely different thing. Now maybe there will be a slot for sliding your phone into the tablet or into the desktop monitor - and there are probably enough people that could work with the power available from that, particularly in 5 years.

So I dunno, maybe the stand-alone tablet at some point becomes another screen that you can plug your 'PC' into, either including the phone, or maybe it plugs into the phone form factor at some point too. The tablet or desktop could then have extra GPU hardware if needed, extra battery or external power, etc., and your computing goes with you however you want.

Then again, that's sort of what a working 'cloud' solution is supposed to enable, though I don't think iCloud (or any other) is that solution yet.

Now will BB be the one to take the world to whatever the tablet-less future is? Uh... Not betting on that.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

A firm that does not make tablets tell its customers that they stink? Did they also ridicule the iPhone when it first came out?

Anyway, it's interesting that Heins mentioned the concept of smart phone plug-in to a big LCD screen. That's a cool concept that I have thought of a few times. Imagine... a phone in your pocket, a computer on your desk, a game console on your TV. A phone, a computer, a gaming console. Are you getting it?

• Reply 40 of 101
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

I have the image of him with a finger in each ear shouting la la la la.