BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

LOL

• Reply 42 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Imagine crap? What the hell are you talking about?

A 5" "phone". I thought that'd be clear.

The galaxy note loses to the iPhone on every single metric and still is better for playing games, internet, reading, watching videos, etc just because it is a decent 5" phone, even if too expensive for what it is.

There's a reason it loses on every single metric, and no, it's not better at those things because of its size.

Put a 5" on an iPhone, change the design so it isn't the same thing just proportionally bigger, make apps for it, give it the right things and you have the better product ever created on the history of electronics.

Hyperbole about a hyperbolic device; that's understandable.

• Reply 43 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Sorry guys, But I totally (and I mean it seriously) can see his point.

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again. Only the phone and a computer when something needs to be done.

Now imagine a phone like the note but done right.

The screen provides a great browsing experience, it's lighter and more portable, has the firepower of a regular tablet, makes calls and has the conveniences of a phone. That's a fact, most people use tablets for things that can easily be done (in some cases it is even better) on a 5" phone.

We still do not have a flagship (great) 5" phone, But Apple can do that. Just imagine that.

Please Apple, it would fit perfectly on the usage of million and millions of people and for the others you have a 4" screen and an iPad.

Give someone a 5" tablet with LTE and they'll never use a tablet again?  While I really do understand what pedromartin means, that folks is why there are so few millionaires and billionaires. Predicting the future is hard.

• Reply 44 of 101

Besides, 20 years ago, there was doubt around the GUI, similar with what we have today with the tablet arena.

WIll the tablet stay a tablet and eat PC sales?

Will a tablet become a hybrid device like the surface?

-If that happens, Apple will still put great products for many years, but they will lose the leading position.

MY POV is,

Computers like the air and retina will keep improving and dominating, but the pc market will go down in size, because of phones and the fact that tablets will morph into phones too. The phablet. If that happens and Apple does nothing, well, the leading role goes to someone else and i do not like that.

People with big screens on their phones do not need a tablet at all.

Apple is being stubborn just like MS is with pens (gates) and keyboards (ballmer). 

• Reply 45 of 101
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    The popularity of iPads among kids for games will alone ensure its ongoing survival. What an absurd remark all the more so because of the well-noted and precarious state of Blackberry's own survival prospects.
  • Reply 46 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Anyway, it's interesting that Heins mentioned the concept of smart phone plug-in to a big LCD screen. That's a cool concept that I have thought of a few times. Imagine... a phone in your pocket, a computer on your desk, a game console on your TV. A phone, a computer, a gaming console. Are you getting it?

Motorola Atrix did it 2 years ago.  There's nothing amazing or revolutionary about docking a phone to computer monitor.  It's no more amazing than hooking a single board computer like a Raspberry Pi to a monitor.

• Reply 47 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Apple is being stubborn just like MS is with pens (gates) and keyboards (ballmer). 

No, Apple is being stubborn just like Apple did with Blu-ray and netbooks.

• Reply 48 of 101

Quote:

Besides, 20 years ago, there was doubt around the GUI, similar with what we have today with the tablet arena.

No there wasn't. 20 years ago was when Windows 3.1 came out.  Who, exactly, was doubting the GUI at that point?

• Reply 49 of 101
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I view this as huge news for RIM stockholders. It's now clear RIM knows what the tablet replacement device will be and has a head start on their competition. I'm happy he gave no details so it will be more revolutionary.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    Saying tablets are dying with a straight face, much less a smirk, is why this guy gets the big bucks.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    stefstef Posts: 87member

and with Flash. And Java I hope.

• Reply 52 of 101
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore," Heins said.

In five years, the tech media will repost your statements, Thorsten.  In "Where are they now?" pieces about the rapid decline and fall of RIM in the wake of iPhone and iPad.  And how BlackBerry's last CEO, you, utterly failed to extend the company's life.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I need to figure out, for my enterprise customers, for my consumers, for my BB10 audience, what can I do that provides them a mobile computing experience in the form factor of a tablet, which goes beyond just the puristic tablet experience."

Maybe you can copy Microsoft this time.  You know, with a cheesy snap-on keyboard for your next pad.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BlackBerry's previous foray into the tablet sector, the PlayBook, proved a disaster for the company. The small form factor tablet never took off, and the company was forced to write down roughly half a billion dollars in unsold inventory.

Once burned, twice shy.  It's time to consolidate BlackBerry's engineering talent behind just the phone.

This will make it easier to understand the company's assets while you're shopping it around.

Who knows?  Maybe you can sucker HP into buying what remains of BlackBerry.

• Reply 53 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Give someone a 5" tablet with LTE and they'll never use a tablet again?  While I really do understand what pedromartin means, that folks is why there are so few millionaires and billionaires. Predicting the future is hard.

I know it is hard, but it is based on what I see. People look tablets mostly for browsing, games, email and videos. Everything related to multimedia.

You are going to a meeting, you are on the bus, you are on a train... Will you use your phone or tablet on the go? Is it better to use a tablet or 5" phone for the games we have now? Sorry but must people will have the phone on their pockets the whole time, and ready to go. So the tablet loses here, me thinks. (read the next part please)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A 5" "phone". I thought that'd be clear.

There's a reason it loses on every single metric, and no, it's not better at those things because of its size.

Hyperbole about a hyperbolic device; that's understandable.

And this is why this post is moronic and ads nothing to a rational discussion. You are being obtuse here, tallest.

The note provides a better browsing and gaming experience (and anything media related) than the iPhone, despite having worse screen quality, worse build quality, worse hardware features and Android is disgusting. But play the same games on both devices, it is much enjoyable on the note. Send an email on the same app. Watch a video on youtube. Despite how awesome Safari is, try and browse for long periods on time. Read something.

It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that. 

Apple can fix those flaws like build quality, screen quality, OS and software. Of course the price will go up...

• Reply 53 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

No there wasn't. 20 years ago was when Windows 3.1 came out.  Who, exactly, was doubting the GUI at that point?

To add there was also System 7 from Apple, Windows NT 3.1 (which also had a GUI), OS/2 2.0 with the new Workplace Shell, etc. Basically any OS of any significant use on desktops had a GUI by that point.  The only people you could possibly claim were "doubting" the GUI were the DOS and UNIX nerds of the day but they were a niche minority of desktop users.

• Reply 55 of 101

Quote:

Right before that, then.

• Reply 56 of 101
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Idiotic statment!
  • Reply 57 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Sorry guys, But I totally (and I mean it seriously) can see his point.

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again. Only the phone and a computer when something needs to be done.

Now imagine a phone like the note but done right.

The screen provides a great browsing experience, it's lighter and more portable, has the firepower of a regular tablet, makes calls and has the conveniences of a phone. That's a fact, most people use tablets for things that can easily be done (in some cases it is even better) on a 5" phone.

We still do not have a flagship (great) 5" phone, But Apple can do that. Just imagine that.

Please Apple, it would fit perfectly on the usage of million and millions of people and for the others you have a 4" screen and an iPad.

I don't think tablets are going away - they are the new laptops and will continue to evolve as such. 

But you have a point - I would argue about your definition, however. Calling a well designed 5" phone that performs most of the functions of today's iPhone as well as many of the iPad's,  a 'phone' seems wrong. For people who want a 'phone', a 5 or 6" device is probably too big. But for a tablet (that can also be used as a phone) that fits into your pocket, it could be the primary device of the future. I can see that.

• Reply 58 of 101

Quote:

Right before that, then.

Untrue as well.  Amigas and Ataris had GUIs in the mid 1980s.  And they were among the most popular lines of computers in sales at that time up through the early 90s.

Either way, can you provide specific references to these "doubters" you are referencing?  The only people I ever heard disparaging GUIs were Unix neckbeards.  Hardly a mainstream group.

• Reply 59 of 101
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't think tablets are going away - they are the new laptops and will continue to evolve as such. 

But you have a point - I would argue about your definition, however. Calling a well designed 5" phone that performs most of the functions of today's iPhone as well as many of the iPad's,  a 'phone' seems wrong. For people who want a 'phone', a 5 or 6" device is probably too big. But for a tablet (that can also be used as a phone) that fits into your pocket, it could be the primary device of the future. I can see that.

Exactly.

Thanks for you sincere and educated response. You should be a mod.

• Reply 60 of 101
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Untrue as well.  Amigas and Ataris had GUIs in the mid 1980s.  And they were among the most popular lines of computers in sales at that time up through the early 90s.

You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.