BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mmm… you can't really have an office full of people all talking to their computers simultaneously.

A desktop touchscreen doesn't work because everyone wants it to be vertical. Everyone is stupid. image Apple, at least, realizes that vertical touchscreens just don't work. That's why I'm confident in the success of their mouse+keyboard successor.

Yes you can, it is called a customer service centre or in India, a call centre..image

• Reply 82 of 101
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Didn't his predecessor predict the same thing about the iPhone?

• Reply 83 of 101

If I held an Blackberry stock, I would have sold every share after reading this article and quote. What a moron! Yes, in five years the tablet industry will be dead. That's why Apple's tablet sales skyrocketed almost 70% YOY. Didn't Blackberry also predict the iPhone would fail? They aren't particularly good at predicting things, are they? And where have they been all of this time, only to come out with a revolutionary new Blackberry device that looks like... get ready for this... the Bold. Wasn't that announced in 2008?

ROTFL

• Reply 84 of 101

The smartphone industry was Blackberry's to lose. They've done an admirable job of losing it.

• Reply 85 of 101
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    BB's claim to fame was the integration of the cellphone and the Internet. Great! But it was their only hit.
    BB hasn't done jack since then.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    maccherry wrote: »
    BB's claim to fame was the integration of the cellphone and the Internet. Great! But it was their only hit.
    BB hasn't done jack since then.

I wouldn't give them that much credit. I'd say their claim to fame was a cellphone with corporate messaging. The first really good cellphone that could use the internet was the iPhone and even WebKit-based browsers on BB OS it wasn't a good experience by any measure. They also had plenty of apps but I would consider the iPhone the first real app phone.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore," Heins said. ""Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model."

Huh. this guy must be a workaholic that spends his entire time in the office at meetings. I suppose if you don't spend much time in th real world one might come out with a conscious perception like this.

His "workspace/business" filter in front of his brain is causing him to not see the obvious which is that people buy tablets for all sort of reasons from sitting on the couch to visiting Starbucks for free wifi. We do all kinds of tasks like consuming entertainment to more creative things like writing/painting making music etc. This hguy is all business - nuff said
  • Reply 88 of 101
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

I tried the Galaxy note in the store and was quite frankly disgusted with it. It couldn't do even the most basic pen based drawing which I can with the totally superior Notability App on the iPad. Theres no zoom feature to do detailed work at all. All this hype about how great the Galaxy is pure uadulterated marketing, the public is being sold a bill of goods here - The sales rep in the Verizon store tried her best, but they are so badly trained they know virtually nothing to help a power user.  If you actually try out these device and go really deep into trying to do something trully creative with them you will find out the truth which is -  they are bad copies of the iPhone and iPad . The level of quality in the Apps on iOS is so so so far superior - it isn't even a contest! If on the other hand you want a superficial experience go ahead by a Galaxy Note, don't come whining to me about afterwards. This is the reason the internet traffic stats show iOS being used so heavily because people actually use them.

• Reply 89 of 101
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Interviewer: "So, what are your plans for a blackberry tablet?"
    Thorsten Heins: "Tablets? We don't need no stinking tablets!"
  • Reply 90 of 101
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Lot's of hyperbole.  The Q10 is way over priced.  I had 5 Blackberry phones over a 5 year period and they are not any more business ready than the iPhone.  Sorry, but that's the truth.  I could care less about a physical keyboard now that I'm used to the virtual one.  A physical keyboard wears out and can get gummed up.  You're limited to the physical keyboard layout too.  Anyway, if you own one or want one then more power to you.

• Reply 91 of 101
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Haven't yoou seen the Blackberry glaases moitors whci go with a keyboard you strap to your arm.
  • Reply 92 of 101

I can't believe I'm this side of the fence for this one.... I hate BB. And not for their product, but for the type of people that use them. I know this is a childish, immature  response, but I am not a 24/7 suck a d*** company guy. Ef them. Give me an IP5 or 4 or whatever versus the crackberry. At least I'd have some imagination left in my mind. :twocents:

• Reply 93 of 101
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not completely fair or accurate. But, without question, this is a stupid thing for Heins to say.

In an odd, peculiar way - this is perhaps what an uninspired corporate exec-scoundrel might say. Being wiley and cagey, but knowing deep down they have their job because those around them (e.g., the Board of Directors) are not capable of ferreting out the truth that they will fake it before they make it. Here, what other recourse does a cunning scoundrel have? Granted they will fail, no matter what - they have no real ingenuity to lead - but the longer they posture a form of pseudo-leadership and can stay on the horse and ride 'em, the better off they are in turns of salary and benefits.

On one hand, should he try to copy Apple (as Samsung has done), he will not be able to withstand the Apple juggernaut and he will look foolish in doing so. Conversely, if he strikes a pose of long-term vision in a prophetic stance, and can sell the naked emperor the clothes his highness allegedly wears, he will still be around to dip his biscuit in what corporate gravy BB has left. Naturally, the latter course will demand a pretense of insight and a knowing wink, as well as a bold denouncement of what is currently successful, as this is always the hope of the hapless risk-taking gambler at the Monaco tables.

In hindsight, he can say little else to substantiate his own position at BB than to pretend a greater vision and insight than Steve Jobs and wisely eschew what Jobs saw as the way of the future in lieu of a pig in a poke he is selling and the Board is buying.

Admirable - in a small-time, ballsy "Let's take these Canadian bozos to the cleaners before they figure out I got nothing" type of way!

A fool and his money is soon parted - and BB has been a dead man walking for a while now. As has been foretold, the dog is returned to its own vomit, and the sow to wallowing in her own mire.

• Reply 94 of 101
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

Talk about your reality distortion fields...

• Reply 95 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

One of the saddest episodes in the demise of BB saga was when their guerrilla marketing campaign against Apple in Australia was wrongfully attributed to Samsung. 

• Reply 96 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

"In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore," Heins said. ""Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model."

IMO having access to everything in your office at your fingertips when you are not in your office is the best business model. If only there were a way to have your laptop, your iPad and your iPhone communicate remotely with your office desktop... like via the iCloud... uhh... um... never mind.

• Reply 97 of 101

I know, what he means is: "Think Q10, but with a 10" screen"!

• Reply 98 of 101
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

I predict his salary will diminish...

Probably doesn't matter to him, ultimately. He's probably already set for life. And he could just make a lateral move to another CEO position elsewhere just by surface features alone ("CEO of BB").

• Reply 99 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

We've had voice control of devices for more than a decade now.  Welcome to the world of yesteryear!

It might be helpful if you actually read my entire post before commenting. For your edification here is the relevant part of what I said about voice.. "All it would take to replace the tablet is some moderate improvements in voice technology". 

Welcome to the world of understanding what you read.

• Reply 100 of 101
    Blackberry%u2019s CEO prediction on tablets has inspired us to launch a puzzle in our iOS crossword game, Crickler.

The %u201CWorst Tech Predictions EVER%u201D puzzle features Blackberry%u2019s CEO%u2019s Thorsten Heins%u2019 claim that %u201CIn five years I don%u2019t think there%u2019ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore%u201D and other infamous tech predictions from the past. Notable examples include Michael Dell%u2019s 1997 suggestion that Apple Computer shut down and return their money to shareholders, Sir. Alan Sugar%u2019s claim that the iPod would be dead by 2005.

Link: http://appmodo.com/76534/blackberry-ceos-prediction-inspires-new-puzzle-in-ios-game-crickler/