Intel outlines upcoming Core i7 'Haswell' integrated graphics, touts up to triple performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    texdeafy wrote: »
    I don't want any of fucking integrated video card from Intel! They're fucking sucks. I'd rather use Nvidia or AMD's ATI. Any of Mac devices with integrated Intel video card is so FUCKED!

Both is a good solution as a power saver when on battery and not using FCPro or Photoshop. So by all means keep improving the integrated performance but for MBPs retain the powerful additional graphics. One day I'm sure there will be an all in one solution but for now dual is the best way to go.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Not interested in more performance for the MB Air. Need a better battery

The way they designed this one is intended to improve battery life. They put in more cores but underclocked them:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/07/haswell-gt3-uses-shaders-to-save-power/

When you need the GPU performance, it'll run really well and when you don't, it'll save power vs the last-gen.

The performance gains looks to be in line with what they have been saying but we'll only know for sure when the actual processors arrive - some of the 06 scores look a bit low. The desktop ones are much better than I expected. The model listed as 65W has the 5200 GPU and the one at 84W has the 4600. It seems like they'd be better off not bothering with the 84W model but they'll probably sell it cheaper.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use IGPs in the entry iMacs and it might let them get the prices back down to where they were before.
  • Reply 23 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

The Air is the only Mac product that uses Intel integrated graphics, correct?

No, all MacBook Pros and the Mac Mini.

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Integrated graphics isn't very useful…

Did you read anything about these?

…even through the 3X gain is nice, it's still not for professional gaming.

1. There is no such thing as "professional gaming." You don't know what you're talking about.

2. The laptop Haswell iGPU is equivalent to a GeForce 650.

I think a solution for Apple is to use an over clocked 16 core G6630 Rouge GPU as standalone discrete graphic.

Why, when this is better in every way?

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

I don't want any of fucking integrated video card from Intel! They're fucking sucks. I'd rather use Nvidia or AMD's ATI. Any of Mac devices with integrated Intel video card is so FUCKED!

So I take it you didn't bother reading the story.

• Reply 24 of 147
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not interested in more performance for the MB Air. Need a better battery

A betters battery certainly wouldn't hurt. However I currently wouldn't consider an AIR at all due to the terrible processor and GPU performance. It is getting real close to the point where Haswell might make a Mini attractive to me. It all depends upon the exact configuration. All I can say is " Go for it Apple".
  • Reply 25 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    unicron wrote: »
    The Air is the only Mac product that uses Intel integrated graphics, correct?

All Mac notebooks use integrated graphics, but the 15" MBP also comes with a discrete GPU.
  • Reply 26 of 147
    Marvin wrote: »
    The way they designed this one is intended to improve battery life. They put in more cores but underclocked them:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/07/haswell-gt3-uses-shaders-to-save-power/

When you need the GPU performance, it'll run really well and when you don't, it'll save power vs the last-gen.
    We hope. In any event Haswell in the AIRs, could really supercharge these models. That is if Apple selects the right chips. No matter what Intel does, Apple still needs to execute a fresh design the leverage the right chip.
    The performance gains looks to be in line with what they have been saying but we'll only know for sure when the actual processors arrive - some of the 06 scores look a bit low. The desktop ones are much better than I expected. The model listed as 65W has the 5200 GPU and the one at 84W has the 4600. It seems like they'd be better off not bothering with the 84W model but they'll probably sell it cheaper.
    Dreaming of XMac right now. That 65 watt variant would be ideal for the low end model.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they use IGPs in the entry iMacs and it might let them get the prices back down to where they were before.

I suspect the big problem with iMac pricing is everything but the processor.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    But isn't triple the performance of nothing still nothing?
  • Reply 28 of 147
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

2. The laptop Haswell iGPU is equivalent to a GeForce 650.

Really? man i hope so, GeForce GT 650M? as in the same card that the 15 rMBP uses & current alienware gaming laptops?.

sounds super unlikely, i wouldn't argue if its the case, it would mean that discreet GPUs in laptops days are over & would be redundant.

• Reply 29 of 147
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple using integrated graphics in the 13" Retina Pro is criminal.
  • Reply 30 of 147
    Marvin wrote: »

Don't they already do that with the education iMac?
  • Reply 31 of 147
    msantti wrote: »
    msantti wrote: »

These aren't reasonable comments.
  • Reply 32 of 147

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Eventually when you multiply crap it becomes better than the best not-crap. 

I was the first to denounce iGPUs… back in the day. But if this actually performs how Intel is saying it will (both internally and externally), then it's finally a contender for meaningful GPU work on a budget ("budget" meaning "you actually don't have to buy anything extra to get performance out of it").

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Really? man i hope so, GeForce GT 650M? as in the same card that the 15 rMBP uses & current alienware gaming laptops?.

Marvin's quite confident in that, from what he has seen, and I know a guy who works at Intel in the "making the chips that will be released five years from now" department (there's probably a classier name for it) who says the same thing about Haswell.

sounds super unlikely, i wouldn't argue if its the case, it would mean that discreet GPUs in laptops days are over & would be redundant.

That's part of the reason why Haswell is splitting up iGPU power between desktops and laptops. The desktop Haswell chips have a worse iGPU because Intel figures you'll have a dedicated card there. The laptop chips have a MUCH better iGPU because, hey, the more power that can be shoehorned in without having to lose battery life (and gain heat) on a dedicated chip the better. 

• Reply 33 of 147
    wizard69 wrote: »
    We hope. In any event Haswell in the AIRs, could really supercharge these models. That is if Apple selects the right chips. No matter what Intel does, Apple still needs to execute a fresh design the leverage the right chip.

Despite the CPU performance of the current MBAs being on par with MBPs from not too many years ago I have doubts that you'd accept anything Apple does in this category. You just said the current CPUs are terrible; not simply too slow for your needs, but terrible. So how can adding another 17W TDP CULV into the MBAs be the "right chips" when you always seem to want the fastest chips possible as your starting point? You aren't going to get a 45W Haswell chip in the MBA... EVER!

And that's all before we get to the GPU, soldered RAM, lack of expansion ports, and smaller space for a large SSD card. I simply find it hard to see how anyone that dreams of the elusive Xmac would be happy with Apple's goals for the MBA.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    Note the phrase "up to". Or to put it another way peak performance in a specific situation. That still leave intel plenty of room to fall no its face.
    zozman wrote: »
    It probably won't even come close in sustained performance.
    That will happen some time in the future but I'm not certain it will happen in the next couple of years. For one thing both AMD and Intel run into bandwidth problems to main memory on their APUs. This means that implementation of the RAM array can adversely impact the GPU component. I wouldn't be surprised at to find routinely
  • Reply 35 of 147
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's part of the reason why Haswell is splitting up iGPU power between desktops and laptops. The desktop Haswell chips have a worse iGPU because Intel figures you'll have a dedicated card there. The laptop chips have a MUCH better iGPU because, hey, the more power that can be shoehorned in without having to lose battery life (and gain heat) on a dedicated chip the better. 

I hope it turns out this way.

I'm a little skeptical of what the companies say about the benchmarks & graphic output of their chips.

ivy-bridge & HD 4000 promised massive GPU gains, benchmarks after release only showed a few percent gains, like most things in tech these days its an evolution not a revolution, no complains.

if my mac mini dies, a haswell based mac mini would be on bought so fast!.

• Reply 36 of 147
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

1. There is no such thing as "professional gaming." You don't know what you're talking about

Yah there is. They even have their own organization. MLG

Majorleaguegaming.com. These guys get paid to play. A buddy of mine gets flown to these events and gets paid. Not much though. But it exists.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    texdeafytexdeafy Posts: 78member

So I take it you didn't bother reading the story.

Blah
  • Reply 38 of 147
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Integrated graphics isn't very usefull, but apple must use because of space and energy compustion and even through the 3X gain is nice, it's still not for professional gaming.

I doubt that the number of professional gamers in the world is very large.

• Reply 39 of 147
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

My 13" MBP drives the 27" Cinema Display very well. I'm not sure how it could be better.

• Reply 40 of 147

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Majorleaguegaming.com. These guys get paid to play. A buddy of mine gets flown to these events and gets paid. Not much though. But it exists.

This seems ludicrous.