Intel outlines upcoming Core i7 'Haswell' integrated graphics, touts up to triple performance

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I actually mis the brick. It made the Mini easy to configure for odd locations where normal AC wasn't happening.

The reason I wanted Apple to maintain the poser brick design is so they could make the ATD MagSafe adapter work with the Mac mini which would obviously eliminate another cable. It might mean the power supply in the ATD would have to be beefed up but I recall correctly I think it can handle the load. It would require some special lock for the connector so that the battery-less Mac mini wouldn't accidentally lose power.
  • Reply 142 of 147
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

nht's logic is sound. If in 2010 you needed certain features/performance that are only possible on the F250 and not the F150 then the F250 was the only viable option. But if in 2013 you still only need those same features/performance but now they are available on the F150 and the F250 is overkill for those same needs then why go for the extra cost, size, weight, power consumption of the F250 when the F150 will suit those same needs just as well, if not better for certain tasks? As much I don't care for the car analogy this one seems quite congruent to the whole MBA v. MBP argument, especially if we're talking about the 13" models.

Blah I hate car analogies unless they involve ram upgrades. Do you pay the Porsche dealer for those Pirelli tires or go to the garage down the street? Anyway there is almost always some amount of growth in software demands. Even OSX has certain minimum requirements. Removing cpus that must be validated, you're still left with minimum OpenGL version and minimum memory requirements. Those have escalated even outside of the 64 bit transition period. It's usually more whether hardware has outpaced software. Part of what kept towers as the sole viable option so long in certain fields was the combination of slow 2.5" drives, limited ram, and 32 bit applications. When ram and hard drives as either scratch disks or virtual memory address space could be such a huge bottleneck, it killed any kind of leverage on lighter hardware. I would still say that desktops in many cases could continue to produce better value if Apple didn't like to make them less attractive using their matrix of pricing and features. As for Haswell, intel's early numbers are not always in line with reality, which is why I'm skeptical on statements like "up to triple performance".

• Reply 143 of 147
    hmm wrote: »
    Do you pay the Porsche dealer for those Pirelli tires or go to the garage down the street?

That depends. Do you have to remove the windshield in order to get access to the tires? :D
  • Reply 144 of 147
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That depends. Do you have to remove the windshield in order to get access to the tires? image

Not the windshield. Perhaps the flux capacitor. This video suggests it's fairly easy, but he just talks about it. Right now I'm tempted to create a picture of a Mini with Pirelli tires.

• Reply 145 of 147
    hmm wrote: »

Not the windshield. Perhaps the flux capacitor. This video suggests it's fairly easy, but he just talks about it. Right now I'm tempted to create a picture of a Mini with Pirelli tires.

I hope my comparison to upgrading RAM on the 21.5" iMac wasn't lost.
  • Reply 146 of 147
    linhsslinhss Posts: 4member

Core i7 chips is very strong but is stronger than 3 anymore

• Reply 147 of 147
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Knowing Apple, somehow I don't feel they would put in better graphics in the mini even if the power brick still existed.