Intel outlines upcoming Core i7 'Haswell' integrated graphics, touts up to triple performance

Comments

• Reply 81 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

GPU is not just for games.  Just look at Apple's iLife and Pro apps.

What about them? Do we really need a Tesla to type some characters? How did the Apple ][ get by?

• Reply 82 of 147
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    What about them? Do we really need a Tesla to type some characters? How did the Apple ][ get by?

I have to have a Geforce Titan to play Solitaire. Anyone who thinks this is overkill is dead wrong. :smokey:
  • Reply 83 of 147

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

…Geforce Titan…

THAT'S IT.

Does Alzheimer's assisted living take people younger than… retirement age? ????

• Reply 84 of 147
    THAT'S IT.
    Does Alzheimer's assisted living take people younger than… retirement age? <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

I was kidding. Relax!
  • Reply 85 of 147

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I was kidding. Relax!

No, you're right! I couldn't remember the name of the chip. I can't remember anything. I lose nouns all the time. I used to be so eloquent, and now I just do the verbal equivalent of tripping over my own feet and breaking both shins 20 feet from the finish line of the marathon. I can't remember times or dates, I don't know how long it has been since things occurred and I can't remember any of my old friends. 

Why am I telling you people this? I need a depression clinic or something. 

• Reply 86 of 147
    No, you're right! I couldn't remember the name of the chip. I can't remember anything. I lose nouns all the time. I used to be so eloquent, and now I just do the verbal equivalent of tripping over my own feet and breaking both shins 20 feet from the finish line of the marathon. I can't remember times or dates, I don't know how long it has been since things occurred and I can't remember any of my old friends. 

Ah I understand. It's no big deal. You could have just been driven insane from debating people on this board who try and reach too far outside the box of what Apple will ever do.

Hope things get better for you soon.
  • Reply 87 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    haggar wrote: »
    GPU is not just for games.  Just look at Apple's iLife and Pro apps.

Because an 11" notebook is a great place to use Pro apps.

iLife can do very well with integrated graphics. Anything else is just goalpost-moving.
  • Reply 88 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Anything else is just goalpost-moving.

Sometimes it feels like more than goalposts have moved. Sometimes it feels like the field and stadium have been moved to another area code.
  • Reply 89 of 147
    dsdevriesdsdevries Posts: 9member
    Moore has predicted this a long time ago. What's the news?
  • Reply 90 of 147
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THAT'S IT.

Does Alzheimer's assisted living take people younger than… retirement age? ????

The Tesla is a real product of theirs too, it's just more of a corporate product than a home one, so there is hope for you yet.

• Reply 91 of 147
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yup.  Macs are going to be way more "snappy."

ARM-based MacBook Air is inevitable.  Some day.  The ARMv8 spec was released in 2011,

and it feature a 64-bit instruction set.  That was the last major technical issue preventing OS X

from running on ARM.  The next hardware step will be building quad-core 64-bit Ax SoCs. 

Apple needs to stop paying boutique prices for Intel CPUs.  (AKA "The Intel Tax.")

The benefits would of course be higher margins and/or lower retail pricing.

Yet more bad news for Intel and the brain-dead Ultrabook-making copycats.

There is no magic pixie dust in the ARM architecture that's going to make it outperform Intel chips.  The rapid increase in performance is paid by a higher TDP.

The current top end A15s is benching around 3K in geekbench at best for the Exynos (8W TDP).  Or around the same performance as a old Core 2 Duo.  The current i5-3317U (17W) in the 11" MBA benches in around 6.5K.  You can see the Core i3 330M crushing the Exynos Dual in every benchmark and it benches in at 3906 and the Core i3 330M is from 2010.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_exynos5_dual&num=3

With Haswell 10W chips expected to perform as well as the 17W Ivy Bridge chips and the expected 7W chips I think that the window for any ARM MBA is history.

The Haswell Xeon E3 look to be really interesting...at 13W I'd like a 13" MBP version with 32GB ECC RAM max and a BTO discrete GPU (doesn't have to be super fast, just has to do both CUDA and OpenCL)...that would be a killer engineering laptop.

A Mac Mini Server Xeon E3 with 32GB ECC ram slots would be killer too.  Connect with a render or compute farm and that would work nicely as well for both small server and low-end workstation needs.

• Reply 92 of 147
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Wait until your fifties hit!!!!

It is like the human mind is a hard drive of fixed size. If you don't use info regularly the mind just seems to replace old data with what ever is new. On the flip side short term memory sucks big time, you know you are old when you jump in the car to go to the store and then wonder why you are on the road five minutes later. It is ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE.

• Reply 93 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »

Wait until your fifties hit!!!!

It is like the human mind is a hard drive of fixed size. If you don't use info regularly the mind just seems to replace old data with what ever is new. On the flip side short term memory sucks big time, you know you are old when you jump in the car to go to the store and then wonder why you are on the road five minutes later. It is ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE.

There is a condition known as nominal aphasia that affects the recollection of nouns. I don't know exactly what constitutes having this condition as I'm sure we're all subject to bouts of forgetfulness and I assume proper nouns are most likely thing we forget as it's not a concept but simplistic rote memorization.

I'm sure we've all remembered a person or thing but couldn't think of the name, but we knew something else which we followed through a complex thread until there was something we could use to do a search or use as a reference to another, or that simply made your brain access the appropriate info, at which point you wonder how you could have ever forgotten it. Does that sound about right?

When I'm sick the lose of proper noun recollection is the first thing to go. In fact, I know I'm getting sick when that starts happening.
  • Reply 94 of 147
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Could drive Apple's 4K Cinema Display with 1.5x the resolution (2.25x more pixels) of the current Apple Cinema Display.
    I remember the day when getting 80 characters, big blocky characters, on screen was a major accomplishment. When on steps back it is amazing to see how far the industry has gone in half a lifetime.
    I've seen a 27" 4K IPS display for as low as low as $2300, and I've seen 50"+ 4K HDTVs for $1300 and $1500. I have to wonder if a Mac Pro update will also get 802.11ac, which also means new AirPort products, and a new Apple Cinema Display, which likely means following the new iMac styling and going with 4K if the availability for quality panels and price points are within reason. I could see them starting with that 27" product for 4K displays, as well as raising the price past $999 for 4K. I think an extra $500 for 4K wouldn't be a deterrent to that customer base.
    This year should bring lots of new products. However I don't think TB is ready for 4K displays yet. That might happen in 2014.

PS: I don't think the 27" displays will get 2x like all the iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, 13" MBP and 15" MBPs have received. I think they'll get 1.5x which brings the 2560x1440 display exactly up to the 3840x2160 of UHD 4K. I think Mac OS X has already been made to work with this size without affecting the GUI elements.
    Possibly, but Mac OS isn't as resolution independent as iOS is. Of course we will be hearing about another major rev to Mac OS at WWDC. They could be focused on refinement of resolution independence in the next release.

PPS: Anyone still holding out hope for a 17" MBP?
    Personally no!
    I do hold a tiny sliver of hope that Apple simply wasn't able to release a 17' MBP because they want the iGPU to be at least capable of pushing the display and it simply wasn't possible to push a 2x 3840x2400 WQUXGA display with Ivy Bridge and/or to get quality panels at a reasonable price last year.
    I'm not sure if that is the reason. However I hold out hope that a new 17" laptop is possible. This mainly due to the way the missing 17" has been canceled. Apple hasn't said it is completely dead. In fact they have been rather reserved in public comments about its status.

So something might be on the horizon. Maybe not the traditional 17" laptop design but certainly something for the pro market. I look at what has been happening in the market place with discounted MBP and have to believe that this is a sign that Apple miscalculated the demand for their new creations. If so we may see a bit of retrenchment with respect to laptop design. This is especially the case for the MBP market where users expect and make use of the extra feature of "Pro" laptops. The heavy discounting of MBP models this year suggest that Apple has shot itself in the foot.
  • Reply 95 of 147
    slurpy wrote: »
    The **** are you talking about? Ivy Bridge has "terrible" performance?
    Err that was a reference to the AIRs compared to other laptops. AIRs by their nature are much lower performance machines compared to laptops running more capable Ivy Bridge processors.

The GPU is also fine for 95% of what people use it for, and a big step up from the last one.
    I'd suggest that it isn't even close to good enough for many users. Yes it is a big step up for Intel but is sucks for 3D and Apple/Intel have yet to release OpenCL support for it on Mac OS. It is really hoped that Apple will address these issues with the Haswell update.
    I use my Air for absolutely everything, including intensive design work, and it flies through everything like a knife through hot butter.
    Well good for you!
    Easily the most responsive computer I've used, has never dissapointed. Yes, if you're constantly rendering video or high end 3D gaming it's not the right choice, but "terrible" performance?
    At a minimum I want four cores in any new laptop I buy along with the ability to order it with plenty of RAM.
    Hardly. What exactly do you do that makes the Air insufficient?
    XCode for one. It isn't that running XCode on an AIR is impossible you certainly can do so. The problem is when you have multiple activities going on at once. You see some people actually do more than one thing at a time on their Macs, that is where having extra cores and lots of RAM makes a huge difference. On top of that I won't buy a machine that doesn't have OpenCL support in the GPU, last I knew Apple/Intel have yet to resolve that issue. OpenCL support is one of those features that it pays to have as you never really know which apps or which rev to an app will begin to use it.

Haswell has the potential to address some of these issues in the AIR platform. It could improve the AIRs to the point that I might consider it a viable machine to replace a MBP. It really depends upon drivers being dealt with, improved multi thread support (not a substitute for cores but helpful anyways), an update to the base RAM and more flash storage. Of course this Haswell based machine doesn't exist yet, but the potential is there for a massively upgraded Mac Book AIR. This is the reason behind my comments. Haswell just might allow for that quantum jump in performance that remakes a product into something entirely different. We just need to see which way Apple goes with the next AIR rev. By that I mean better battery performance vs better system performance.
  • Reply 96 of 147
    XCode for one. It isn't that running XCode on an AIR is impossible you certainly can do so. The problem is when you have multiple activities going on at once. You see some people actually do more than one thing at a time on their Macs, that is where having extra cores and lots of RAM makes a huge difference.

I think you have a terrible mismatch on applying appropriate expectations to a given machine. Don't expect a pen to do the job of a chisel. But that does not mean the pen is useless to everyone even though the only thing you need is a chisel.

When comparing to "other laptops", don't cross classification lines so wily-nilly. You're probably not going to do development work on any other ultrabook either, and most computer manufacturer offer at least one, even though you apparently disagree with the existence of the category. That doesn't make the ultrabook class useless, because the proportion of developers to users is pretty low.
  • Reply 97 of 147
    texdeafytexdeafy Posts: 78member
    evilution wrote: »
    I thought the native language in Texas was English!
    This reads like a Dutch kid who has only just started learning English.

Excuse me, Evilution! My English grammar is fucking sucks okay? I'm deaf and the school don't know how to teach deaf how to do English grammar. The English is deaf's "second language" and the American Sign Language (ASL) is deaf primary language. So the ASL is my primary language.
  • Reply 98 of 147

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

…the American Sign Language (ASL)…

It has always mystified me that even given a language that could unite humanity we've still chosen to break it into sects.

My family learned Signing Exact English, and you run into compatibility issues! image

• Reply 99 of 147
    I'm not sure how you came up with some of these points.
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I think you have a terrible mismatch on applying appropriate expectations to a given machine. Don't expect a pen to do the job of a chisel. But that does not mean the pen is useless to everyone even though the only thing you need is a chisel.
    That was the whole point, right now the AIRs are pens, they simply don't have the performance one would get out of a MBP. Haswell has the potential to change the performance equation of the AIRs for my needs. That is the context here, right now they are terrible performers for my needs.
    When comparing to "other laptops", don't cross classification lines so wily-nilly.
    Err that is the whole point, I see Haswell offering Apple the opportunity to do much better in the AIR chassis.
    You're probably not going to do development work on any other ultrabook either, and most computer manufacturer offer at least one, even though you apparently disagree with the existence of the category.
    At no time did I disagree with the category. The problem is that the category currently doesn't provide the performance I need.
    That doesn't make the ultrabook class useless, because the proportion of developers to users is pretty low.
    I never said they where useless overall just that they are useless for the way I currently use my laptop.

It is interesting that every time I post anything negative about the AIR and its performance there is always a bunch of people chiming in that the machine is all so wonderful. That may be the case but apparently they can't come to grips with the idea that some people use their hardware differently. The point is valid AIRs are terrible performers when judged against Ivy Bridge processors running on alternative hardware. They are a low end mobile solution as their pricing and specs indicate.

By the way, an AIR can be a fine machine for a developer, it really depends upon how you use the machine.
  • Reply 100 of 147
    I'm not sure how you came up with some of these points.
    That was the whole point, right now the AIRs are pens, they simply don't have the performance one would get out of a MBP. Haswell has the potential to change the performance equation of the AIRs for my needs. That is the context here, right now they are terrible performers for my needs.

You initially said they're terrible processors, you didn't say "for me" in that line. They're just terrible, period.

Err that is the whole point, I see Haswell offering Apple the opportunity to do much better in the AIR chassis.
    At no time did I disagree with the category. The problem is that the category currently doesn't provide the performance I need.
    I never said they where useless overall just that they are useless for the way I currently use my laptop.

It is interesting that every time I post anything negative about the AIR and its performance there is always a bunch of people chiming in that the machine is all so wonderful. That may be the case but apparently they can't come to grips with the idea that some people use their hardware differently. The point is valid AIRs are terrible performers when judged against Ivy Bridge processors running on alternative hardware. They are a low end mobile solution as their pricing and specs indicate.

Which is odd, since you're constantly lacking the grip that some people don't use their hardware the same way you do. You seem to understand there's a different model better suited for your needs. Why still harp on the fact that the Air doesn't suit your needs?

Also, you're comparing processors of different tiers against each other. Engineering is about trade-offs. To get the light weight and battery life, you have to trade away the extreme performance. Increasing technology mitigates it over time, but not as quickly as you'd like, apparently. You can't have everything, and right now.

I think your problem is that you're repeatedly giving off an impression of expecting a lightweight to do a heavy duty's job. Having sane expectations at the outset would be a good idea.