Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Lightning is designed to be a highly adaptable and scalable interface, but the USB signalling circuitry on the iDevices don't support USB 3 yet, I think in part because the benefit is minimal. That will change eventually, maybe this fall.

Lightning is fully peer-to-peer which means that devices at both ends are equals in managing the flow of data. All USB links are master/slave, meaning that only one device has control of the flow of data while the other, the slave, sits there looking stupid most of the time. The advantage of USB 3 over earlier standards is additional channels that are made to look peer-to-peer, although they aren't.  Hence, even if the transfer speeds on paper are the same, the USB link is less efficient and (especially for large transfers of data) slower than Lightning. As a concept, USB is a dead end as all devices today have the power to manage peer-to-peer communications. 

• Reply 82 of 139
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Fact for Android users bragging about SD card slot

You cannot load apps into the SD card memory, so if you run out of space you have to delete apps to make room for your new ones, the SD card space can only be usedfor data, pics. movies etc.
  • Reply 83 of 139
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

That would be technically astonishing.  Source?

Actually, he kind of grossly understated it. It's far more "astonishing" at 1.35 ~ 1.78 GB/sec read/write speeds...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6298/analyzing-iphone5-geekbench-results

Excerpted from that page:

The next thing that stood out to me was the memory data:

Geekbench Comparison

Memory Performance

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5 (unconfirmed)

Scaling

Read Sequential ST

0.32 GB/s

1.78 GB/s

5.63x

Write Sequential ST

0.86 GB/s

1.35 GB/s

1.57x

Stdlib Allocate ST

1.44 Mallocs/s

1.92 Mallocs/s

1.33x

Stdlib Write

2.7 GB/s

6.06 GB/s

2.24x

Stdlib Copy

0.55 GB/s

2.26 GB/s

4.13x

• Reply 84 of 139
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's already extremely expensive despite sporting some clearly inferior components, like the display colour accuracy, yet they want you to go buy additional components. I guess that's not a big deal for many Android users as I've oft heard over the years that they like to have additional batteries for their devices instead of a single, long lasting battery.

You are out of touch on the display colour accuracy.  The Samsung Galaxy S4 is as good as the iP5.

Quote:

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One vs. Apple iPhone 5 display test confirms AMOLEDs can finally do accurate colors

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-vs-apple-iphone-5-display-test-confirms-amoleds-can-finally-do-accurate-colors/

Supporting what I have been saying for some time, that AMOLED was not technically inferior, it was an implementation problem.

• Reply 85 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cnocbui wrote: »

You are out of touch on the display colour accuracy.  The Samsung Galaxy S4 is as good as the iP5.

Supporting what I have been saying for some time, that AMOLED was not technically inferior, it was an implementation problem.

1) I never once mentioned AMOLED and yet you make this wild assumption.

2) Right from AnandTech:
    Because "Movie" was the closest to sRGB of all the modes, I selected it for the actual results that I'll present in the table. Admittedly this mode does tighten things up a bit, but it still isn't perfect and I'd still like to see Samsung do something to reign this in at some point.

[...]

Oddly enough it seems that the North American versions at least have this renamed for some reason, but undoubtedly the function is the same. Many speculated that this is now a toggle for some full CMS (Color Management System) which "fixes" the inherent color space issues with AMOLED and oversaturation that occurs when looking at sRGB content on such devices. Unfortunately, I can confirm that my initial suspicions that this is just a continuation of the mDNIe (lite) settings from previous generation is in fact correct. I reverse engineered what I could of these settings from both kernel messages while changing the toggles, and looking at the kernel sources. Turns out that 'Professional photo' mode is actually the 'Natural' mode renamed from previous versions

or, "A 0xFF007F by any other name..."
  • Reply 86 of 139
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Well,  you are wrong. There is no need for spare batteries, it is an option. 16MB SD card - $10. I would love to be able to add SD card to my 4s but no can do. I also own galaxy s3 and use sd card for HD movies and storage of high res. pictures.

• Reply 87 of 139

Well,  you are wrong and joke is on you. I use my SD card for HD movies. They play flowlessly. I cannot put 5 HD movies on my 4s with 16MB,  can you?

• Reply 88 of 139

Here in NY 16MB SD card goes for around $10. You are being ripped off.

• Reply 89 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This is bad, and telling consumers to go buy a SD card is unacceptable. They should have included it with the phone. Those that take many photos and with a good amount of music will run out of memory rather quickly. Those that root their phones will be able to move apps to the SD card but that's not the average user. This will lead to a high rate of returns.
  • Reply 90 of 139
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wait what, so if I buy a 16Gb iPhone and then I fill that up I should be able to demand an iPhone with a larger capacity? The Music, and extra apps can be deleted from the Samsung S4 leaving the user with 13GB of space, my husband just got one. This is a none issue . You can also flash the S4 with a pure Android ROM in 5 minutes and it takes up less then 500 MB of space.
  • Reply 91 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Fact for Android users bragging about SD card slot

You cannot load apps into the SD card memory, so if you run out of space you have to delete apps to make room for your new ones, the SD card space can only be usedfor data, pics. movies etc.

Actually you can, I have been doing it for years.

http://www.bongizmo.com/blog/moving-all-android-apps-to-sdcard-apps2sd-froyo/
  • Reply 92 of 139
    Multiple post.
  • Reply 93 of 139
    Multiple post.
  • Reply 94 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Wouldn't that mean that the mean size of your 200 apps would be 15MB?  That seems really low for a mean size (I could buy it as a median).  Or am I missing something?

I'm kind of surprised it's that big, but I guess compilers these days find ways to use more storage <grin>.   On the Nexus...

• Simpler apps such as translators, Amazon, TV Guide, Trulia, etc are in the 1.5MB to 8MB range.  

• Apps in the average range include Pinterest (10MB), USAToday (17MB), Weather Channel (18MB).

• Larger ones include Angry Birds (48MB), Chrome (25MB), Skype (23MB).

An article last December noted that the average size of a non-game app on Android is 6MB, and on iOS it's 23MB.  (The latter probably partly retina screen graphics related.)  

People have done direct app comparisons before and the ratio is anywhere from two to six times larger on iOS, which some have guessed is partly due to static library includes and/or gfx.

The upshot is, lower storage for apps on the GS4 isn't a big deal.  It's much more important for media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Actually, he kind of grossly understated it. It's far more "astonishing" at 1.35 ~ 1.78 GB/sec read/write speeds...

He was way off because that's RAM speed, and so is the other test you linked to.   Try a benchmark like Passmark which has disk (Flash) storage speed tests instead.   Speeds will range more like 10MB/sec up to perhaps 60MB/sec.

Geekbench doesn't test storage speeds.  It mostly tests registers, graphics and memory.  Since you brought it up, though, here's the latest popular list from their blog:

• Reply 95 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »
    Wait what, so if I buy a 16Gb iPhone and then I fill that up I should be able to demand an iPhone with a larger capacity? The Music, and extra apps can be deleted from the Samsung S4 leaving the user with 13GB of space, my husband just got one. This is a none issue . You can also flash the S4 with a pure Android ROM in 5 minutes and it takes up less then 500 MB of space.

How many people actually flash ROMs? The iPhone at least gives you a decent amount of memory left to use, but 8 GB left on a 16 GB phone is a joke.
  • Reply 96 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How many people actually flash ROMs? The iPhone at least gives you a decent amount of memory left to use, but 8 GB left on a 16 GB phone is a joke.

No doubt but I like I said it's easily rectified by deleting the free media content that comes with the phone, music, videos and unwanted apps. You would actually be surprised about the number of people who now flash their phones, especially when there are programs like Odin, takes less than 5 minutes to do so.  I think people just jump to conclusion when it's a product not produced by Apple. I have moved on from an Android phone but that doesn't mean the Samsung S4 isn't a good phone.

• Reply 97 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

…the new Galaxy comes loaded with a lot of capabilities…

Shut up and go away.

But kindly tell us, after you load equivalent apps from the app store, what exactly is the size difference between the pre-loaded Galaxy install and iOS?

To have equivalent softwares, the Galaxy is forced to add a few more gigabytes to its total. The iPhone can stay right out of the box.

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Wait, the iPhone 5 doesn't transfer items at USB 3.0 speeds? How fast is Lightning?

As fast as the iPhone's NAND.

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wait what, so if I buy a 16Gb iPhone and then I fill that up I should be able to demand an iPhone with a larger capacity?

If by 'fill' you mean 'buy from the store'. 

The Music, and extra apps can be deleted from the Samsung S4 leaving the user with 13GB of space, my husband just got one. This is a none issue .

Unless you actually want to listen to music and use your phone in any way the same manner as an iPhone!

You can also flash the S4 with a pure Android ROM in 5 minutes and it takes up less then 500 MB of space.

500 megs for 4.whateverthey'reon? Sounds low.

• Reply 98 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless you actually want to listen to music and use your phone in any way the same manner as an iPhone!

500 megs for 4.whateverthey'reon? Sounds low.

Oh, I was talking about the free music the S4 comes with of course you can add your own. It also has a bunch of videos, delete those and some of the bloatware and you're down to about 3GB. The Nexus 4, 7 and 10 all have a OS footprint of about 700MB, you can strip that down further if you want.

• Reply 99 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

…the free music the S4 comes with… …It also has a bunch of videos…

How horrid.

• Reply 100 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How horrid.

Yea tell me about it, why they do it is beyond me, Nokia does the same thing with their Lumia series. At least with them they give you a 50$ gift certificate to their store for the trouble of deleting the crappy music.