Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just trying to understand how this works. So, where/how to you carry your multiple SD cards? Your pocket? Or, does the phone case you use have a pouch for something like that? When you use it, does it stick out?  How many such cards do you carry? Generally what capacity? How do you know what's in what -- i.e., do you keep them labelled? Is this common practice among Androiders, or do they just stick with whatever memory the phone has?

The Nexus doesn't use SD cards, strange that Google bases their reference design on this.

• Reply 102 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The Nexus doesn't use SD cards, strange that Google bases their reference design on this.

Don't mistake manufacturers that use Android with Google.
  • Reply 103 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just trying to understand how this works. So, where/how to you carry your multiple SD cards? Your pocket? Or, does the phone case you use have a pouch for something like that? When you use it, does it stick out?  How many such cards do you carry? Generally what capacity? How do you know what's in what -- i.e., do you keep them labelled? Is this common practice among Androiders, or do they just stick with whatever memory the phone has?

You misunderstand.  Nowadays with the huge sizes available, it's almost always a one-time storage upgrade.

People buy a single memory card of the highest storage amount that they want or can afford,  put the card in the device, and never remove it.  (Except perhaps when they upgrade to a newer device.)

So they might buy a phone, then put in an extra 64GB for ~$55 and the phone is "permanently" upgraded.

(I"m sure there are still some people who swap cards...probably for lots of videos... I used to back when card sizes were much smaller and I needed lots of videos to keep my two year old entertained on long trips, but that was years ago.   These days, like I said, it's not so necessary.)

• Reply 104 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    The people that are talking about $10 microSD cards, what speed? Going by Newegg's prices, it sounds like you're grabbing a class 4 card, which guarantees 4 MB/sec. Even a class 10 only guarantees 10MB/s, making it 80Mbps, one sixth of USB 2's signalling rate, so earlier discussion about SD cards to be a salvation compared to USB 3 is probably fooling themselves.
  • Reply 105 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    One thing I'm seeing a lot of are people taking BASE-10 value of the capacity and applying it to the BASE-2 disk space remaining value to get the used portion. This will result in an appearance of using more space than is actually being used.

You can use an online bit calc to reverse engineer the value quickly. For instance, 64GB is 64,000,000,000 bytes in BASE-10 but when I convert to BASE-2 — in the link it's represented by "kilo" is 1024 — the result is 59.6GB. Note that your NAND, just like with HDDs will not be exactly that much but be a little bit over the BASE-10 value.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/
    [/LIST]

I personally wish the tech world would adopt the [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte]IEC binary prefixes[/URL]. It's really insane that we use the same notation or 1000 (10^3) and 1024 (2^10).

PS: Speaking of units of measurements that need to be changed, here is a very informative video.

[LIST]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 106 of 139
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

There will be 32GB and 64GB versions released as well. Why Samsung only chose to release the 16GB now and wait for the other two models I do not know. A 64GB version along with a 64GB card should be plenty of storage for most anyone. HIgher quality SD cards now reach 15MB/s so they aren't slouches. You can record 4000K video on them which is about the most taxing thing you would ask of storage on a phone.  I expect that Apple will go 32/64/128 GB with their next phone.

As far as rooting phones to make more space, it really was a difficult and tedious process years ago. You had to read dozens of pages of instructions and follow some very byzantine instructions exactly in the right order or risk bricking your phone. You also had to make sure you were downloading the ROM for your exact phone. If you had a Sprint version of a phone but accidentally downloaded a ROM for the same phone but meant for AT&T it could be very problematic. But that is no longer the case. It is pretty automated now and for popular phone models like the Galaxy it is very fast and simple to do. It is comparable to jailbreaking an iPhone now. That means more and more people are choosing to root their phones. With free tethering that alone makes it very worthwhile to do. 

As least for now the S4 is the top of the line Android phone available. It has some flaws for sure but the actual user reviews are staring to come in now and they are very positive so far. 

• Reply 107 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Lightning is fully peer-to-peer which means that devices at both ends are equals in managing the flow of data. All USB links are master/slave, meaning that only one device has control of the flow of data while the other, the slave, sits there looking stupid most of the time. The advantage of USB 3 over earlier standards is additional channels that are made to look peer-to-peer, although they aren't.  Hence, even if the transfer speeds on paper are the same, the USB link is less efficient and (especially for large transfers of data) slower than Lightning. As a concept, USB is a dead end as all devices today have the power to manage peer-to-peer communications. 

I don't think Lightning is a data protocol in the way USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt is. I wonder if maybe you confused Lighting with Thunderbolt. It looks to me that Lightning is more a smart connector rather than a communication protocol.
  • Reply 108 of 139
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Some apps wont install to the SD card for now. But you can store your GBs of music....pictures home movies. You have to admit....everyone that is saying that Android is hindered by allowing a SD card slot or talking it down.....would PRAISE Apple if they had a micro SD card slot and you could add a 32 or 64 or 128 GB SD card to maximize you phone. Be honest you all know you would....If the IP6 came with with a micro SD card slot i think opinions here would change...... 

Speak for yourself. From what I can tell many, many folks here understand Apple's position on this. It is thoroughly consistent with their moves to remove optical media from their notebooks and iMacs. The vast majority of people who appreciate Apple's focus on simplicity, or merely benefit from it, are likely to agree. Also, it seems that 16GB is more than enough for most.

I've learned my lesson and know that I ned to go to the next highest storage tier in my next iPhone and MBA. I stopped using portable flash drives and SD cards years ago. They've failed, gotten lost, I've forget to bring them with me, etc. I have a paid Dropbox account now, but will get rid of that when I move to a higher capacity SSD in a new 2013 MBA and iPhone 5S. My bet is that few non-geeks wish to think about how and where their data is stored.

• Reply 109 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You misunderstand.  Nowadays with the huge sizes available, it's almost always a one-time storage upgrade.

People buy a single memory card of the highest storage amount that they want or can afford,  put the card in the device, and never remove it.  

Ah, got it.

In the iPhone/iPad/iPod world, we just get the storage size we want, and leave it at that. With the expectation that, a couple of years down the road, when it's time to upgrade to the new model, the storage will double. Apple usually obliges that expectation (although, iPhones have been stuck at 64GB for a while now; hope that changes this Fall).

• Reply 110 of 139
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's already extremely expensive despite sporting some clearly inferior components, like the display colour accuracy, yet they want you to go buy additional components. I guess that's not a big deal for many Android users as I've oft heard over the years that they like to have additional batteries for their devices instead of a single, long lasting battery.

The galaxy s series smartphones with the much hyped amoled display suffers from colour accuracy.  What does this translate to the camera experience?  I wonder all those reviewers have ever really taken a picture using the phone and viewed on the phone?

• Reply 111 of 139
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 16GB version of Samsung's newest flagship handset has only just over half of its listed memory available for owner use, according to CNet UK.

Same problem the Surface has.  

Samsung and Microsoft must be taking the same "Storage Hogging 101" programming class.

• Reply 112 of 139
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The galaxy s series smartphones with the much hyped amoled display suffers from colour accuracy.  What does this translate to the camera experience?  I wonder all those reviewers have ever really taken a picture using the phone and viewed on the phone?

I don't think you are correct. The old complaints about pentile and other issues with the S3 display seems to have been corrected. The S4 is as good and better than the iPhone 5's display on a number of these tests.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

• Reply 113 of 139
    lightstrikerlightstriker Posts: 458member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Apple can sell their upgrades for whatever they want.  But who is the sheep when you can buy a 16 GB sd card for $10.

You missed the whole point of the story. iOS is 2gig, Samsung OS is 8gig. iOS devices has much more storage left for you to use.

• Reply 114 of 139
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't think you are correct. The old complaints about pentile and other issues with the S3 display seems to have been corrected. The S4 is as good and better than the iPhone 5's display on a number of these tests.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

These tests proved my point.  Samsung Galaxy S series smartphones have worse displays than Apple iPhones.  At full white screen S4 consumes twice as much power.  Therefore, Samsung have purposely turned down the brightness as often as possible.  Then its brightness is 313 cd/m2 compared to 555 cd/m2 for iPhone.  Finally the Color Gamut for S4 is 132% while iPhone is 104% close to perfect.  This is why most S4 screens are considerably darker than iPhones. 

• Reply 115 of 139
    Samsung to support to customer: We don't care what you think. Thank you for your call and be sure to buy another phone from us in two years. ;-)
  • Reply 116 of 139
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    "I's better to just get more internal storage."

No, is not!

Internal storage need space on the device.
    Space is precious for hardware engineering!

And so: why put apps on internal storege?
    Why bother with backup of apps? It`s on the cloud... like almost everything else. :)

• Reply 117 of 139
    tzeshan wrote: »

These tests proved my point.  Samsung Galaxy S series smartphones have worse displays than Apple iPhones.  At full white screen S4 consumes twice as much power.  Therefore, Samsung have purposely turned down the brightness as often as possible.  Then its brightness is 313 cd/m2 compared to 555 cd/m2 for iPhone.  Finally the Color Gamut for S4 is 132% while iPhone is 104% close to perfect.  This is why most S4 screens are considerably darker than iPhones. 

AnandTech's testing stated they expect most users to use auto-brightness. I don't know how it differs between Android and iOS but on my iPhone and iPad I keep the brightness turned up to the maximum at all times.
  • Reply 118 of 139
    solipsismx wrote: »
    One thing I'm seeing a lot of are people taking BASE-10 value of the capacity and applying it to the BASE-2 disk space remaining value to get the used portion. This will result in an appearance of using more space than is actually being used.

You can use an online bit calc to reverse engineer the value quickly. For instance, 64GB is 64,000,000,000 bytes in BASE-10 but when I convert to BASE-2 — in the link it's represented by "kilo" is 1024 — the result is 59.6GB. Note that your NAND, just like with HDDs will not be exactly that much but be a little bit over the BASE-10 value.

I personally wish the tech world would adopt the IEC binary prefixes. It's really insane that we use the same notation or 1000 (10^3) and 1024 (2^10).

PS: Speaking of units of measurements that need to be changed, here is a very informative video.

I blame hard drive manufacturers for this, as it made their drives sound larger for marketing purposes.
  • Reply 119 of 139
    hill60 wrote: »
    I blame hard drive manufacturers for this, as it made their drives sound larger for marketing purposes.

Can we really, though? They are using the SI unit for kilo. It's whoever decided that they can use 2^10 the same as they use 10^3 that I think are first to blame.
  • Reply 120 of 139
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Can we really, though? They are using the SI unit for kilo. It's whoever decided that they can use 2^10 the same as they use 10^3 that I think are first to blame.

Yep, when hard drive manufacturers started doing it, it wasn't really noticeable, however as capacities climbed into the Gigabytes and Terabytes the difference became more and more obvious.