Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 210
    I don't understand why any feature that a phone manufacturer adds to their devices is automatically written off as gimmicky. What's the criteria for a gimmicky feature? Any feature that an Android phone has that an iPhone doesn't?
    No. I'd say its a feature that is put on the phone just for the sake of having another feature on the spec sheet but doesn't add any real value to the customer. Such as waving your hand over a screen to scroll through pictures or pausing a video if you look away from the screen. I hear in many reviews that doesn't work well and even if it did it sounds annoying to me. I don't necessarily want a video to pause just because I look away. I can still listen. If I want it paused I can hit pause. No real value added but another "cool" feature on the spec sheet... Therefore gimmicky feature.
  • Reply 202 of 210
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    sessamoid wrote: »
    Bump has been available since the original iPhone app store in 2008 (?), IIRC. I used once because it seemed cool. Never used it again.

Yeah, I think my count is right around yours. Better now that you can share stuff other that your contact info, such as files in Dropbox. They had iTunes tracks but had to pull that feature because Apple didn't allow it.

Which I see as the same real world use as S beam.
  • Reply 203 of 210
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An explanation from their advertising agency, Chiat/Day Media, said that "they make fake optimized web pages for all of Apple’s commercials — which load faster. In this case they made optimized images to take the place of Flash".

Back when the iPhone first came out, and pro-Apple reviewers like Mossberg were still saying that Flash was necessary and on its way, Steve Jobs used to demo the iPhone by using stored websites that had been modified to cover up the missing Flash sections.  

The most famous examples were the NY Times and National Geographic front pages, both of which were modified by Apple to remove any Flash-needed indications.  Years later, Jobs would instead show the missing sections proudly, but at first, it was seen as a big negative and he clearly wanted to hide them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I know that Apple uses those "snappier web pages" to appear snappier, and to accommodate the compressed time available in a 30 second ad spot… (thus their disclaimer of "shortened sequences").  

Yep, the British Advertising Standards Authority made Apple add "sequence shortened" to their UK iPhone ads, which originally showed instant responses without any disclaimer.

Even that notice wasn't enough sometimes. Again in the UK, an Apple ad about downloading apps was pulled even though it had the small notice, "Steps removed and sequence shortened. Network speeds may vary."  Basically, the disclaimer was seen as too broad, since the ad's intent was to show how quick and easy buying an app was.  With some steps removed, the sequence was no longer true to life, no matter what speed it was shown at.

Apple's also been sued for its Siri ads which make it look fast and infallible.  (To me, that kind of suit puts a damper on deploying new technology.)

The point is, every company uses ads that can be considered deceptiive.  Often the trouble boils down to not having enough time to do real demonstrations.  One day perhaps our devices will be fast enough to have short ads that say, "Sequences NOT shortened!"  :)

• Reply 204 of 210
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

Funny how our preferences effect everything... I was looking at some electronics the other day and completely skipped over the Samsung Model for no other reason than I'm Apple. I'd rather give it to someone who doesn't compete with them.

• Reply 205 of 210
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Funny how our preferences effect everything... I was looking at some electronics the other day and completely skipped over the Samsung Model for no other reason than I'm Apple. I'd rather give it to someone who doesn't compete with them.

That's less "preference" and more "you feel wrong giving money to thieves, shysters, extortionists, and colluders". 

• Reply 206 of 210
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Hey my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"And mine"

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

Hah.

• Reply 207 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    "Hey my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"And mine"

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

Or if these were actual android's talking to each other...

"Hey, my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

[...]
  • Reply 208 of 210
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.

I can see some use for the hand wave to answer a phone and such like that but to hold a finger or a stylus off the screen to get some feature is like trying to hold a pencil off a piece of paper to "air" write something and never touch the paper.   Very difficult and tiresome to do.   Why bother.

• Reply 209 of 210
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambira View Post

I can see some use for the hand wave to answer a phone and such like that but to hold a finger or a stylus off the screen to get some feature is like trying to hold a pencil off a piece of paper to "air" write something and never touch the paper.   Very difficult and tiresome to do.   Why bother.

It has its uses, as shown in the ad.  Moreover...

Bloomberg recently reported that "(Jon) Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands — without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.

Interestingly, Microsoft was big on the air gesture idea about five years ago.  I recall them doing research on a handheld that used tiny camera chips along the edges instead of a touchscreen.  It could not only recognize screen touches, but air gestures along the front and sides of the device.

I've constantly opined that future devices will have multiple input methods, just as humans do, instead of always forcing the same way on everyone.

• Reply 210 of 210
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    kdarling wrote: »
    It has its uses, as shown in the ad.  Moreover...

Bloomberg recently reported that "(Jon)<span style="font-size:13.333333969116211px;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);font-family:'Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;line-height:17.98611068725586px;"> Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands — without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.”</span>

Interestingly, Microsoft was big on the air gesture idea about five years ago.  I recall them doing research on a handheld that used tiny camera chips along the edges instead of a touchscreen.  It could not only recognize screen touches, but air gestures along the front and sides of the device.

I've constantly opined that future devices will have multiple input methods, just as humans do, instead of always forcing the same way on everyone.

Right. Microsoft has the kinnect. Lately, things seem to go:

Microsoft has an idea (motion, tablets) and releases a clunky but hey it kinda works model (or OEM)

Someone may try to implement a different approach

Apple releases the tech when it is ready and "perfected"

Everyone but Microsoft copies Apple's approach

Gates/Balmer bash Apples approach

Microsoft copies the Apple approach