Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

Comments

• Reply 101 of 210
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

If he is entitled to his PoV....then so am I

Of course you are... anyone is.

But what is weird is the amount of consistent anti-Apple nonsense (from some of the same people) on a pro-Apple site.

TS is simply pro-Apple on a pro-Apple site. That kind of makes more sense, don't you think?

• Reply 102 of 210
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What hoaxes and lies has he made? You may not agree with his PoVs but that doesn't mean he's attempted to deceive anyone.

He believes the statements in his signature were mutually exclusive.

He believes he's entitled to lie as much as he wants here without being called out.

Just ignore him.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

TS is simply pro-Apple on a pro-Apple site. That kind of makes more sense, don't you think?

I've always thought that was the only thing that made sense.

• Reply 103 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course you are... anyone is.

But what is weird is the amount of consistent anti-Apple nonsense (from some of the same people) on a pro-Apple site.

I agree with you......Have I been anti-Apple? Can you give me an example? I don't think I have ever been anti Apple.....

• Reply 104 of 210

Quote:

I disagree directly to his posts often and yet I don't recall any one of those being deleted. I have had posts of mine deleted and edited by him and other mods, but only when I've crossed a line or quoted another poster who crossed a line. I've never once seen him or any other mod simply delete a post because one disagreed with their PoV.

Thats because you're his friend......he has been called out numerous times for deleting posts that directly contradicted his PoV. 

What would be awesome to have on this site would be quote notification. Maybe up near the PM notice. An email notice when a post is delete as well for violating forum rules..... 

• Reply 105 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He believes the statements in his signature were mutually exclusive.

He believes he's entitled to lie as much as he wants here without being called out.

Just ignore him.

I've always thought that was the only thing that made sense.

such as what? Please give examples.........

• Reply 106 of 210
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Samsung is a desperate cheap copycat.

• Reply 107 of 210
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

the funny part is some features have been available on the iPhone for years. Bump is just one app with functionality like S beam. It only been out since 2011. The current version even works with computers too.

Every Samsung advert I've seen so far has at least one, if not multiple occurrences of "whiz-bang" features that the phone has, which they fail to tell anyone was on the iPhone first.  It's purposely misleading.  

This one for instance has the old dad being amazed that the phone can control the TV,.  Something iPhone has been able to do for years (they also fail to tell you that it ail lonely work if you have a Samsung TV).  

Any advertiser who puts misleading facts into a commercial should be immediately suspect.  People may not like Apple and may even hate the iPhone, but at least the adverts for the iPhone are honest. 

One of the oldest and first rules of commerce … "Don't buy from a seller who dissembles."  

• Reply 108 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Thats because you're his friend......he has been called out numerous times for deleting posts that directly contradicted his PoV. 
    What would be awesome to have on this site would be quote notification. Maybe up near the PM notice. An email notice when a post is delete as well for violating forum rules..... 

1) I like TS but I don't even know his real name, age or even the state he lives in so I'm not sure how deep your "friend" comment really goes. I like you, too, but I do disagree with you more often and know very just as much about you. TS and I PM here from time to time, but I PM more often with GatorGuy so does that mean I would agree with GG's points more often?

2) I stated that he and other mods have deleted my posts for violating the rules. He's even given me infractions so I'm not sure what preferential treatment you think I'm getting here.

3) Your argument that I can disagree with him because we're "friends" doesn't hold up since your assertion seems to imply that I wouldn't disagree with him because we're "friends". Also note that your posts on this subject have not been deleted despite you clearly disagreeing with him. Why is that? It's clearly jacking the thread and I'd have removed all these comments, but since they haven't been removed your claims aren't holding up. It comes across as someone that stands outside City Hall ranting about how their freedom of speech is being denied despite being able to freely speak.
  • Reply 109 of 210
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

It was a great commercial!  I loved the ad though I still prefer the iPhone.  Just like that recent Lumia ad was a great production and hilarious.  Competition is good.image

• Reply 110 of 210
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Oh...c'mon now...there has been enough proof of his deleting posts that disagree with PoV in the past...it is common knowledge. I don't know why you always defend him..... If you want burden of proof.....then ask TS to defend his original statement. Why are you not asking for that Soli? Why is he not accountable for his statements? If he is entitled to his PoV....then so am I

Looks like you don't have to worry about him deleting any more posts ever again. image

Not a great ad but not terrible either. Samsung always seems to hire very attractive female actresses for their commercials but rather unattractive male actors. That grad in the robe for example. Not as bad as that nerd in the woods for the Verizon LTE commercial that says "obviously astonishing throughput" Just an observation. 

The best new feature for the S4 that appeals to me is the TV IR blaster. I am always losing my DirecTV remote but never lose my phone. It is also a little slow to change channels. A better TV remote on the phone is a feature I would use. There is a DirecTV app for the iPhone but it is not free and doesn't control the sound for home theaters or change inputs. 

• Reply 111 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtschultz93 View Post

You're right about the iPhone 4. It didn't cripple it the way that iOS 4 did the 3G. It only slowed it down a bit.

My response was certainly a bit too reactionary to the earlier post.

IMO, iOS updates miss the mark in several areas. 1) they hold back the progression of the OS itself in attempt to maintain older models 2) they're often misleading (the iPhone 4 doesn't have many of the "features" of iOS 5 or 6) 3) they're not updates with a purpose (aside form selling new software features on the new model only), which is to say that the updates follow a calendar based scheduled, say every June (reveal) September (release) instead whenever the natural cycle would follow. At the moment, tech bloggers are ranting about the release of iOS 7 running behind schedule. Who's schedule? Apple releases products, both hardware and software, when the product is READY. Or at least that would be the smart move.

I'm not a hater of any of the aforementioned companies. The competition is good for me as a consumer. Call me crazy (Tallest), but I liked Apple better as the smaller company. They WERE a company that attempted to make the best products in each niche each and every time. Now they react and attempt abide by someone else's timetables and guidelines more than before..

I think the reason the 3G had more problems than the 4 is because there was a much bigger difference in the capabilites of the 3G to the 4 than from the 4 onward.  The power and capabilities advanced at a far faster rate in the early generations of the iPhone and other smartphones.  I think they've leveled off somewhat now.  I like the bigger screen  on the iPhone 5 but the real reason I upgraded was for the LTE.  Other than that I would have been perfectly happy with my 4S or really even my 4.  The one and only reason I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S was because I had promised my son I would upgrade and give him my 4 when the next iPhone came out.  With the longer than normal refresh cycle between the 4 and 4S I was expecting something like the iPhone 5 instead of the 4S.  I do wish Apple would have opened Siri up to the iPhone 4.  It is perfectly capable of running the software.  I was disappointed that they limited that in an obvious attempt to encourage people to upgrade devices.  Other than Siri related services thought, I am not sure what the 4 doesn't do that the 4S and 5 can with iOS 5 or 6.  I include the turn by turn with voice directions because that runs through Siri in a way.

I am actaully a hater of Google.  Ironically I like many of their services but cannot stand them as a company and refuse to use anything of theirs if I have a choice.  I don't like their policies of monitoring my activity in order to sell advertising.  Or giving my personal info to developers if I buy an app.  I think its deplorable.  Thats why I enjoy the Microsoft SCROOGLED commercials.  Its one company I don't really care about attacking another company I can't stand, but at least its bringing some of these practices into the open.  I am sure there are a lot of people that don't realize how much Google uses their personal info to make money.

Edit:

I do realize that smartphones are still increasing their capabilities at a fast clip, but I think they have surpassed the needs of the software.  In other words....yes an iPhone 5 is much faster than a 4S or 4, but the when you are using one the difference is sometimes difficult to distinguish.  And the S4 with its octa core chips is just ridiculous.  What smartphone app on the planet needs 8 cores????

• Reply 112 of 210

Quote:

1) I like TS but I don't even know his real name, age or even the state he lives in so I'm not sure how deep your "friend" comment really goes. I like you, too, but I do disagree with you more often and know very just as much about you. TS and I PM here from time to time, but I PM more often with GatorGuy so does that mean I would agree with GG's points more often?

2) I stated that he and other mods have deleted my posts for violating the rules. He's even given me infractions so I'm not sure what preferential treatment you think I'm getting here.

3) Your argument that I can disagree with him because we're "friends" doesn't hold up since your assertion seems to imply that I wouldn't disagree with him because we're "friends". Also note that your posts on this subject have not been deleted despite you clearly disagreeing with him. Why is that? It's clearly jacking the thread and I'd have removed all these comments, but since they haven't been removed your claims aren't holding up. It comes across as someone that stands outside City Hall ranting about how their freedom of speech is being denied despite being able to freely speak.

Thanks Soli....but all that still in defense of TS.....all about my one line. There is so much more scrutiny now about posts being delete.....I doubt he would delete one now. But you don't see him defending himself.....but you are. Hence the friend comment. But is TS still a moderator?

• Reply 113 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Every Samsung advert I've seen so far has at least one, if not multiple occurrences of "whiz-bang" features that the phone has, which they fail to tell anyone was on the iPhone first.  It's purposely misleading.  

This one for instance has the old dad being amazed that the phone can control the TV,.  Something iPhone has been able to do for years (they also fail to tell you that it ail lonely work if you have a Samsung TV).  

I don't think you are correct about only controlling Samsung TVs. It seems to work with any TV and any set top box. 

http://blog.laptopmag.com/use-galaxy-s4-as-tv-remote

What iPhone apps are you talking about that will do a similar job because I have been looking for this for a while for my iPhone and have not found any apps that do the same thing. Since the iPhone lacks IR that would not seem possible to control a home theater or TV for example that aren't connected by wifi. 

• Reply 114 of 210
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't think you are correct about only controlling Samsung TVs. It seems to work with any TV and any set top box. 

http://blog.laptopmag.com/use-galaxy-s4-as-tv-remote

What iPhone apps are you talking about that will do a similar job because I have been looking for this for a while for my iPhone and have not found any apps that do the same thing. Since the iPhone lacks IR that would not seem possible to control a home theater or TV for example that aren't connected by wifi. 

For example http://promotions.l5remote.com/l5r59f/?gclid=CIjgrrWS_bYCFUOe4AodQSoAMg , although the fact that you need an extra dongle makes it a lot less useful.

• Reply 115 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Thanks Soli....but all that still in defense of TS.....all about my one line. There is so much more scrutiny now about posts being delete.....I doubt he would delete one now. But you don't see him defending himself.....but you are. Hence the friend comment. But is TS still a moderator?

Of course it's in defense of TS because I think you're being unfair in this instance. If I disagree with TS (which I'm sure will happen) it certainly won't stop me from speaking up as to why and how. My loyalties lie with finding the truth. In this instance and of course many others much of it depends on a PoV but I am still being honest about my position and not simply defending something because you think I'm more buddy-buddy with them than the other person. I really try to read and judge each comment as a clean slate which means I have and will Thumb Up and respond positively to posters that make a sound point, even if I think they usually troll the forums looking for a rise from the readers.
  • Reply 116 of 210
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

I agree with you......Have I been anti-Apple? Can you give me an example? I don't think I have ever been anti Apple.....

I don't think I meant you.

• Reply 117 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

For example http://promotions.l5remote.com/l5r59f/?gclid=CIjgrrWS_bYCFUOe4AodQSoAMg , although the fact that you need an extra dongle makes it a lot less useful.

Thanks for the link. Looks useful just not $59 useful. 

• Reply 118 of 210
    jhart376jhart376 Posts: 30member
    It's all about the feeling. They had to cut through the perception that Apple was the coolest phone with the best features. These ads do it in a fun way and are quite effective. Samsung has a huge budget. I think Apple could further increase their budget and keep on focusing on the things you can do with their products and how they work together with music, photos, and tv/airplay. I think they should give some ad budget to Apple TV to get even more units out there and consider promotions pairing Apple TV with iPhone or Mac purchases to hook more people into the ecosystem.
  • Reply 119 of 210
    Samsung owners can't say their feature os is excellent .. bcz it ****

Samsung new mobile os is Tizen project resides within the Linux Foundation , Intel and Samsung.

• Reply 120 of 210
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Thanks for the link. Looks useful just not $59 useful. 

There are lots of others, as a google search for 

using iPhone as a tv remote

shows. I guess that means there is a fair amount of demand (which seems to be met by every current single high end android device I know of [S4, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z tablet])