Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    44edward44edward Posts: 2member
    Windows 8 is so hard to navigate. There are NO menus that are useful nor are the menus easy to make appear; and the lack of direct access to your desktop is so frustrating; back to Window 7 for me
  • Reply 22 of 84
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Wonderful comments, some of them downright insightful, especially christopher126, fake_william_shatner, and gazoobee. I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I wonder how many of those 100 million are still in use?

That would be a *very* interesting statistic.

Yeah, active users vs sales are two different things since people might have bought it, installed it, then went back to an older OS.

I wonder how many people have bought a new desktop that came with a touch screen and Windows 8 and then just re-installed Windows 7 that they had on their other computer?

100 Million is about 10% of Microsoft total user base.  10% in about 6 months?  Is that a good adoption rate?

• Reply 24 of 84

Think of it this way.

IF, Microsoft got 10% adoption rate in 6 months, that means, that if that adoption rate stays constant, which it rarely does, then they would have 20% after a year, and it would take 5 years to get 100%.  But Microsoft has never had 100% adoption of an OS in 5 years, EVER. 

So, what percentage of users is Microsoft going to have when a new major release comes out?

I think Windows 8 might get MAYBE 50% adoption after 5 years and that's because XP support goes away next year, Vista support goes away in 2017, and Windows 7 support goes away in 2020. 

I think what might happen is that Windows users might stay flat as more users switch to OS X and Windows just keeps flat due to normal OS growth due to increased in number of computer users.  Apple does get a certain percentage of switchers every year and it's conceivable that Apple might get 10 to 15% of the current Windows users to switch to OS X over the next few years.

• Reply 25 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm sure that 100 million doesn't include how many people downgraded their machines to Windows 7. I'm a tech guy and I don't know anyone in my circle that runs Windows 8.

The only computer I've ever seen outside a store was a Surface tablet that someone left at an In N Out restaurant I turned in, but I don't know if it was a Surface Pro or RT, because I really didn't pay much attention.  I think it was a RT model and that's the ONLY new Windows computer I've ever seen outside of a store.  Oh, I did see a Mac user trying to install Windows 8 on a MacBookPro. but that's it. Everyone else i know uses Windows (yeah, I know its a dinosaur) and Windows 7.  Other than that, I haven't SEEN any Windows 8 users other than on YouTube.

It's pretty sad. oh well, nothing that I really have to worry about.

So, anyone know what's up with OS X 10.9?  Can't wait to see what they do with it....  Anyone????

• Reply 26 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5pixelshigh View Post

I run a small website with a diverse audience when it comes to computer platform and browsers.  Here are my stats so far this month for Windows:

Windows

62.4 %

Windows XP

13.9 %

Windows Vista

6.8 %

Windows NT

0 %

Windows Vista (LongHorn)

2.8 %

Windows 98

0 %

Windows 7

38.3 %

Windows 2003

0.2 %

Windows 2000

0 %

Notice anything missing?

So these numbers are based on what users go to your site?   Is your site geared towards professionals, kids, or general population?  Just curious as to what types of users are more inclined to visit your site in the first place.  Do you have any information as to the age demographics?  Just curious.

• Reply 27 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Still the fastest selling desktop OS but how does that compare with previous Windows launches?

Fastest selling in terms of just numbers sold?  Previous versions of Windows didn't always have a dirt cheap introductory price like they did with Windows 8.  When Windows 7 came out, people were still reeling from the Vista mess as people were leery at first of Windows 7, Microsoft also tried to pull a fast one as they tried to coerce people into buying trying to get rid of XP a lot sooner before people complained and they extended the life of XP,etc. So Microsoft got a lot of Windows 7 users when they tried to off XP sooner.

I also think that this adoption rate is more with consumers than corporate customers.  Consumers are more inclined to buy the latest and greatest because it's an easier sale, corporate customers have to do a LOT of testing with their existing environment and typically don't like large deployments without having a firm grasp and testing all of their internal apps, making sure it's a stable release (which it isn't, yet.) and they see a benefit in deploying a massive upgrade to all of their users. Remember, there are companies out there with hundreds of thousands of employees and they can't just deploy a new OS on a dime, they have to REALLY study the impact in how it changes the user community, workflow, training their employees, etc.

• Reply 28 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

you have to be blind and retard to believe that 100 million win8 devices are being used. Maybe 1/10th of that.

Maybe they are counting all of the demo units in all of the retail stores.  :-)

• Reply 29 of 84
    I just read an article about a Windows 8 update coming this year. Is this a free update or a fee based update? the article didn't mention anything about that.

I'm wondering when Windows 9 is going to be released and how much different THAT GUI is going to be from Windows 8. Windows 9 in 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20?
  • Reply 30 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    I also think that this adoption rate is more with consumers than corporate customers.

I don't know about adoption but I would think corporate PC sales may come with Windows 8 as part of the purchase. Either by purchasing the version of Windows that allows free a downgrade to Windows 7 or using an enterprise license to format over the factory installed version of a lesser version of Windows 8 that came with the bulk purchases.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    you have to be blind and retard to believe that 100 million win8 devices are being used. Maybe 1/10th of that.

Similar to the number stated from the "Horses Mouth", in this interview with our beloved Bill Gates of PAID vs. PIRATED copies of previous Windows OSes*. Something I've said for years now when calculating market share: sure Windows has 97% market share if you allow people the world over to steal it, as opposed to Apple and OS X only being available on Apple hardware*.

I seriously can't believe AI hasn't picked this up with their usual scraping of Apple content across the web...:rolleyes:

Bill Gates: iPad users are frustrated because they "can't type, can't create documents"

^^^ This mindset is also at the heart (a**?) of the Windows 8 problems as well ^^^

* last ~5 minutes of video.

** Not counting .0001% Hackintosh systems.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Windows 8 is another sorry MS product being foisted upon their hapless users. A product driven less by vision and more by Microsoft's reaction to their competitors, which is always their standard play book. In the absence of competition, Microsoft coasts on crap like IE6, which they sat on for years until Firefox, WebKit and emerging HTML5 kicked them back into the browser market.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    100M licenses sold. 50M copies deleted, with Win7 SP1 installed afterwards.

Yeah, well done, MS.
  • Reply 34 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So these numbers are based on what users go to your site?   Is your site geared towards professionals, kids, or general population?  Just curious as to what types of users are more inclined to visit your site in the first place.  Do you have any information as to the age demographics?  Just curious.

Yes, these are only visitors who have sent an HTTP request to my server.  It is geared toward professional and student musicians.  I don't have any age demographics.

• Reply 35 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
     Yes, these are only visitors who have sent an HTTP request to my server.  It is geared toward professional and student musicians.  I don't have any age demographics.

What are your Mac and mobile OS stats? I noticed they are also missing. I'd think that musicians would likely favour Mac OS X.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'm seriously loving this comment from [URL=http://www.marco.org/2013/05/07/microsoftspeak]Marco Arment[/URL], in reply to the interview with the Chief Marketing Officer of MS regarding the new and improved version of Win 8 "Blue".

NOTE: jeez I sure hope they've remembered to change that screen color when things go tits up.

"Blue" is traditionally not a welcome color on a PC! :no: <<< see what I did there? :smokey:
  • Reply 37 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What are your Mac and mobile OS stats? I noticed they are also missing. I'd think that musicians would likely favour Mac OS X.

The rest are Mac OS X: 30.6%, Linux: 3.5%, and Mobile: 3.7% with Android and iOS about even.  Unfortunately, the server software does not break down the Mac OS X into versions.

• Reply 38 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I run a small website with a diverse audience when it comes to computer platform and browsers.  Here are my stats so far this month for Windows:

Notice anything missing?

Yeah, any real basis for your numbers…

Steam has 11% Windows 8 users as of April
  • Reply 39 of 84
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dontuwish View Post

Shipped, not sold to consumers.

Correct. The headline of "hits 100 million in sales" is blatantly wrong.

• Reply 40 of 84
    tjduffytjduffy Posts: 28member
    For Christmas, six months ago, I finally dumped my XP laptop, and treated myself to last years Lenovo model Windows 7 laptop. I got it cheap and I must say I'm glad I got it. I got seven years out of XP and I intend to get another seven out of seven.